View Full Version : Not sure what to do- camp question

newskaker5
05-15-2007, 05:21 PM
OK - so I am filling out my application for the adult ice house camp. I am not sure what track to choose. I know I talked with Craig and Frank and both said my skills would be OK (based on my jumps) to select competitive. but not I am having doubts.

I have not tested or competed, but plan to do so eventually. I am working on Pre-B MITF. I can land all my jumps up thru the lutz and then you all know how I tried and landed an axel last week (today not so much haha).

But none of my jumps are "perfect". My spins include a decent scratch spin and sit spin. I can rotate a back spin, but it isnt pretty (I am getting closer so it may actually be a back scratch by June. And I can do about 2 rotations on a sad looking camel haha. But my footwork, etc is not the best - Im more of a jumper than a footwork skater. Footwork confuses me easily.

So my question for those who have gone - should I do rec so I dont get in over my head? Are the rec skaters serious enough? I want to have fun, but I am very focuses when i train (which is why I was thinking competitive track- i really want to work hard and be challenged), but I dont want to sign up for competitive and be the worst skater and feel overwhelmed either.

Any advice or opinions? Thanks so much!

doubletoe
05-15-2007, 05:55 PM
Based on where you are with your jumps, it sounds you are better overall than some Bronze skaters who are already doing competitions. So I'd say go for the competitive track! :)

newskaker5
05-15-2007, 06:12 PM
aww thank you :) - I can "do" the jumps, they just aren't all that pretty sometimes- like sometimes I go up pretty high but have no flow on the landing - so does that really count as "doing" the jump?

I am also nervous about being WAY behind in footwork and spins :?? Ive never done any class/ camp before (I have only been skating a year), so I just dont know what to expect

Scarlett
05-15-2007, 06:59 PM
I went to Hackensack last year and will go again this year. From what you are saying I would suggest the competitive track. I did recreational track last year and was in the upper group. Our skills ranged from a lutz to a toeloop and maybe 2 people had a decent sit spin. The recreational track worked us hard but we are definitely the laid back group at camp. I would not describe my attitude toward training as focused, I would go more with laid back with the goal of having fun. With all that said, whatever group you choose you will come home with a lot but I think the competitive group might be a better fit for you.

FrankR
05-15-2007, 07:24 PM
I am also nervous about being WAY behind in footwork and spins :?? Ive never done any class/ camp before (I have only been skating a year), so I just dont know what to expect

Hey there,

By all means, don't be nervous. As I mentioned before, I think you'd do just fine in the competitive track. Just keep in mind that we're all there to learn and have fun. Nobody expects us to be perfect. Although I'd prefer not to make a mistake if asked to try something at the camp, I'd like to think that if I do make a mistake (and believe me, in my four year history of attending the camp, I've made plenty), it's an ideal opportunity to get a correction from some very experienced coaches and skaters. It doesn't get much better than that. :)

Frank

doubletoe
05-15-2007, 08:05 PM
aww thank you :) - I can "do" the jumps, they just aren't all that pretty sometimes- like sometimes I go up pretty high but have no flow on the landing - so does that really count as "doing" the jump?

Hey, I still do that sometimes (getting too much height on a jump and getting no outflow)! But ironically, the way I learned how to correct that was AT A SKATING CAMP!! ROFL! Don Laws was the guest coach and we were working on the flip jump. I got a lot of height on mine but no outflow and was a little embarrassed. He pointed out that the height of the jump needs to be in proportion to the speed going into the jump in order to ensure outflow. If you have lots of speed, you're fine jumping high, but if you don't go in with lots of speed, you'll need to make the jump smaller or you'll come to a dead stop on the landing. Anyway, I agree with Frank. I figure I need to make every mistake I can at the skating camp so I can get lots of good technical corrections and get my money's worth, LOL!

newskaker5
05-15-2007, 10:17 PM
Thank you all so much for the advice! I think I will go w/ the competitive group8O maybe:lol:

But thank you all so much - you made me feel a bit better about my skills :)

blackmanskating
05-16-2007, 04:13 PM
opps clicked submit by accident. LOL

blackmanskating
05-16-2007, 04:14 PM
Thank you all so much for the advice! I think I will go w/ the competitive group8O maybe:lol:

But thank you all so much - you made me feel a bit better about my skills :)

Hey Newskater!!! Based on your posts, your skating ability sounds very similar to mine. I am glad that you decided to go with a competitive track. I think you will find that the most beneficial track for your ability. Don't beat yourself up too much about your spins. I'm constantly told that it is more difficult to be a consistent spinner than it is to be a consistent jumper. I think the main spin you should focus on is the backspin. It's the basis for all of your jumps. I was landing a double flip before I had a good camel spin. As a matter of fact, I still don't have a good camel spin. My sit spin is terrible in my opinion. All things considered, I think you are going to have a blast. Be sure to post up how things work out for you. I really want to go but I have a wedding to attend. :cry:

BlackManSkating