View Full Version : Contact lenses

Tiggerwoos
05-15-2007, 02:54 PM
In a bit of a dilemma at the moment, as I am very short sighted and although glasses don't affect me practicing, my coach mentioned today that for competitions (as I will be doing one next month) and tests, but mainly comps it may be an idea to get contact lenses.

I would love to get them, but tried them as a child about 12 years ago and am petrified of putting anything near my eye and when I tried before, couldn't put them in or out etc etc and they hurt so much.

I understand they're alot better and softer now and was considering the daily disposables just for skating. Any thoughts on this one? Thanks.

Skittl1321
05-15-2007, 02:59 PM
I love contact lenses- but they are not for everybody. Unless you want to be an incredibly serious competitor, I'm not sure the expense is worth it if you skate fine in glasses (my insurance doesn't cover lenses). I have seen quite a few skaters at local competitons in glasses (preliminary and below levels...).

I have moist eyes so I have pretty much zero problems with contacts. I've worn them for 8 years, including 4 years of Night and Days which I only have to even touch once a month. This is where the one problem came in- I developed a corneal ulcer, which is much more common among contact wearers than non, and even more common with extended wear contacts. I had to stop wearing contacts for 2 months- and have actually only worn them for 1 week since it happened. I put them in for a camping trip and left them in for a skating show. I'll also wear them whenever i go swimming, as I can't swim in glasses, and can't see without contacts.

Me raving about how great they are doesn't help if you can't put them in, though.

flo
05-15-2007, 03:34 PM
Check out the daily wear soft contacts. You can wear them for a day and toss them. I've skated in glasses and contacts and won't skate in glasses if I can help it. The expense would be for the fitting and for the contacts. Since you have glasses it won't be that much of an added expense to get fitted. You can purchase the contacts on line and they are much less expensive, and you only need to buy what you need. Your OD or MD should also be able to give you samples.

The new contacts are very comfortable and you probably won't even know they're in. Let the fitter know that you are apprehensive about putting anything on your eye, and have them schedule you when everyone can take their time.

sk8er1964
05-15-2007, 03:36 PM
I've been wearing contacts for, oh, 27 years or so. I am in disposable extended wear lenses. Putting in contacts should never hurt as long as the lense is in good shape, there isn't any gunk (ie hair, etc) on them, and you place the lense on the white of your eye, not the iris.

Good luck!

Sessy
05-15-2007, 03:49 PM
I have such eye issues (irregular shape of the outside of the eye, extremely strong astigmatism/cilinders because of which a lens may not move at all, no tear film what so ever, frequent eye inflammations and disformed eyelids) that lenses aren't possible for me - I tried EVERYTHING.

However, if you do get lenses I'd suggest indeed either soft ones or a new brand of hard, air-permeant lenses. These soak up the moisture from your eyes, making the lenses stay wet (so you barely feel them) and they feel almost like soft lenses. They're also large, as large as soft lenses so you don't loose them like with hard lenses but, best of all - once you're used to wearing them (you add 4 hours every day from day 1), you only have to take them OUT once or twice a week to clean. You can actually sleep with them in and such!

However, I have no issues at all about poking myself in the eye, lol! The only issues I had were with looking away from the finger while putting them in.

NickiT
05-15-2007, 03:56 PM
Having had three lots of surgery on my eyes as a child, I've always been very funny about eyes and putting things in them, but as soon as I needed to wear glasses all the time I switched to contact lenses. It didn't take long to get used to putting them in and taking them out and like you say, there are some nice soft comfy ones now. I really couldn't imagine skating in my glasses. I'd say give it a go!

Nicki

Tiggerwoos
05-15-2007, 04:01 PM
Thanks for all your advice............. I think I've plucked up the courage to give them a go.

Am going to book an appointment and will let you all know how I get on!

flo
05-15-2007, 04:01 PM
Actually it's easier to put it right on the cornea. Placing it on the sclera and looking into it for it to move onto the cornea can cause it's own problems. Some lenses can be left in overnight, but we (I was in ophthalmology) would never recommend that. The most important thing you can do is simply was your hands before you put them in your eyes.

sue123
05-15-2007, 04:18 PM
I got contact lenses when I was 12, but never wore them much. I remember crying during the lens fitting ebcause I couldn't do it. They had me wear them for about an hour before they said they were good for me, and I was walking around outside crying into my mom saying that it wasn't comfortable and that she was telling me I was ugly with braces and glasses that i had to get contacts. It was more from me poking myself and not being able to get the stupid lens into my eye, it kept getting stuck on my finger.

But after a while, it takes me only 2 seconds to put them in. If you have eye allergies, you might have some problems with them hurting. I wear the daily disposable because I don't want to deal with cleaning them and I could never keep track of how many days I've worn them. I also had hose Night and Day lenses for a while, but I kept getting a lot of eye gunk in the mornings, and it made my eyes very dry. If you're prone to dry eyes, make sure you keep those rewetting drops with you.

I can't even imagine in skating in glasses anymore. THey always slip down my face and I can't see too well with my peripheral vision in glasses.

Lark
05-15-2007, 04:31 PM
I used to wear contacts back in the mid-90's (my eyes are hazel, and I had violet ones. I was stylin'!) LOL

I had to stop wearing them because I got a staph infection in my eye, and it scarred my retina.

I liked them quite a bit. :??

Mrs Redboots
05-15-2007, 05:15 PM
I wear mine for skating (unless I forget, as I did today!) and do prefer them to glasses for that purpose. I can't skate seriously in my glasses, as they are bifocals. Okay, so if anything's going to stop me looking at the ice..... but all the same. But I prefer my glasses for the rest of life (except parties), as otherwise I'm always faffing about with reading-glasses or sun-glasses or both.....

Husband, on the other hand, always skates in his spectacles, and has no idea of getting lenses now or ever!

flippet
05-15-2007, 05:34 PM
I wore contacts for many years. I started with soft, daily-wear contacts (tinted green, mostly for visibility should I drop one, but they did make my green eyes sparkle!), and I had the same pair for 18 months without a single problem...never ripped them, lost them--nothing. I loved them. Then my astigmatism got worse, and they wouldn't work anymore. :(

I tried the 'hard' gas-permeable ones, and *those* suckers hurt like a mutha'. I'm not sure they were fit correctly, but I could never get used to them, thus could never wear them.

Finally, I tried the 'weighted' toric lenses for astigmatism. I liked them, except they were so thin that they kept ripping, and for a while the doctor just could NOT get the prescription right for one of my eyes. So I said screw it. (Plus, I developed a reaction to the all-in-one lens solution. That kind of bites.)

Finally, I got LASIK. Now that, I have loved. :)

But--bottom line--whether the lenses are comfortable or not is dependent on quite a few factors. Not all lenses are the same. I loved the daily-wear soft lenses SO much. Putting them in and taking them out was a snap. I could do it in a split-second without even looking, and for taking them out, well---I could reach in and pluck it off my eyeball like peeling a grape. (sorry to gross you out, but it was just reach and grab--no sliding or eyelid fluttering involved.) All that is to say, the more you practice, the easier it is. :mrgreen:

Skate@Delaware
05-15-2007, 09:09 PM
I have soft, extended wear contacts and love them for skating!!! I can't wear them for work because they are for distance (I'm near-sighted and although I tried the "one eye for distance, one for close-up" thing, I hated it). Plus, my job is on the computer so it makes it hard to wear them.

But, for my outside stuff...they rock!

I don't wear them overnight. I also use an overnight cleanser that has peroxide just to superclean them. When you do your lenses, be sure your hands are CLEAN! Don't take shortcuts!
I'm afraid to get the lasik surgery...and since insurance doesn't cover it...:giveup:

sk8er1964
05-15-2007, 09:49 PM
Actually it's easier to put it right on the cornea. Placing it on the sclera and looking into it for it to move onto the cornea can cause it's own problems. Some lenses can be left in overnight, but we (I was in ophthalmology) would never recommend that. The most important thing you can do is simply was your hands before you put them in your eyes.

Interesting that you say that. When I have my exam and get a new pair, my eye doc has me look up and to the side and puts them on the white. (Incidentially, I HATE it when someone else puts them in.) Also, I've been wearing extended wear and sleeping in them since they were pretty new to the market (mid-80's, I think). I used to have occasional problems before the disposable extended wears came out (a few eye infections) but have not had any problems whatsoever since I've been in the disposable extendeds. The only time I ever take them out daily is when my allergies are acting up, like right now. :cry: :giveup:

Tiggerwoos - believe it or not, I don't even need a mirror to put them in or take them out! :D

dbny
05-15-2007, 10:01 PM
Tiggerwoos - believe it or not, I don't even need a mirror to put them in or take them out! :D

I don't use a mirror either. I got the daily disposables and use them exclusively for skating. I have astigmatism and they don't correct for that, but evidently it's mild enough that I can even drive in them. I used to have a hard time getting them out, but a friend who works in optometry showed me how, and DH pointed out something also, and I haven't had problems in over a year.

I have had a few problems with contacts while skating. Twice, a lens came apart in my eye, which was excruciating. I had to have someone else find the pieces and get them out because I couldn't keep my eye open long enough to do it myself. I wear Focus Dailies and I think they are thinner than the Acuvues I was wearing previously and that's why they tore. I'm not a big fan of the Focus Dailies, but that's what Costco prescribed and they are really cheap there, so I deal with it. Every once in a while, when I first get on the ice and start moving fast, the wind shifts a lens a bit, then it settles and is OK after that. Otherwise, they are great and I really can't skate in my glasses, which are progressive lenses.

Tiggerwoos
05-16-2007, 01:40 AM
I think I'm sold now. It sounds easy, especially seeing as there are so many positive results here!

Mrs Redboots
05-16-2007, 05:46 AM
By the way, when you get your prescription, and after you've had your first pair(s) from your optometrist (safest, that way if you have problems you can go back to them), you'll find they can be bought a lot more cheaply on-line! I've just bought six months' supply (in fact 9 months as I only wear them for skating, and almost never for the full 8 hours a day) from http://www.contactlenses.co.uk/ for £70, including p&p, whereas they are £125 from my optometrist!

flo
05-16-2007, 08:14 AM
sk8er1964 - lots of places do teach that way. If there's any dryness or irritation (some people develop sensitivity on the inside of the lid) then the contact can get stuck. I've also found that with people having difficulty inserting the contacts, it's just easier to place them where they belong - there's less of a chance of them popping out.

Flippet - lasik is great! I worked on the reserch to get the lasers approved. Since then there have been lots of advances.

Mainemom
05-16-2007, 08:44 AM
We got contacts for my DD last year after her glasses came flying off her face while she was spinning and slid halfway across the ice! Her coach couldn't believe the difference it made in her skating as she finally had peripheral vision. Even I could tell the difference - her spinning particularly improved (maybe because she wasn't so worried about the glasses coming off! LOL) She never skates without them now.

Mrs Redboots
05-16-2007, 10:12 AM
We got contacts for my DD last year after her glasses came flying off her face while she was spinning and slid halfway across the ice! Her coach couldn't believe the difference it made in her skating as she finally had peripheral vision. Even I could tell the difference - her spinning particularly improved (maybe because she wasn't so worried about the glasses coming off! LOL) She never skates without them now.

A lot of people have said that their spins improved when they got contact lenses! I remember my DD going to the rink in hers for the first time, when they were very new, saying "Today, I shall be able to spin!" I don't think she could, though.

When I used to skate in spectacles, I wore Croakies (http://www.croakies.com/) to keep them on, and I know several other skaters who do, too. Husband hasn't ever (touch wood) had a problem.

flo
05-16-2007, 10:16 AM
But only wear your glasses OR contacts. My then beau and I were at the rink and he mentioned that everything was a bit fuzzy. He was wearing his glasses, so I asked him if he'd put his contacts in. Doh! :roll:

kateskate
05-16-2007, 10:23 AM
I spent ages trying to put my lenses in when I first got them. I kept shutting my eye when my finger went near it! I think the optician got annoyed with me. And even when she tried to put them in for me my eyes started streaming and I think she thought I would never get used to them. But 2 days later I was fine. It isn't easy at first but it is worth it in the end.

I'm also rubbish at the air jet in the eye test - my eyes just want to close! Which is a normal reaction!

sk8er1964
05-16-2007, 02:52 PM
sk8er1964 - lots of places do teach that way. If there's any dryness or irritation (some people develop sensitivity on the inside of the lid) then the contact can get stuck. I've also found that with people having difficulty inserting the contacts, it's just easier to place them where they belong - there's less of a chance of them popping out.

Flippet - lasik is great! I worked on the reserch to get the lasers approved. Since then there have been lots of advances.

Makes sense. :)

cecealias
05-16-2007, 03:26 PM
A long time ago I tried the semi-hard gas permeable lenses, and they were a total disaster! just plain awful to put in and they pop out easily too. Gack it was frustrating. But lots of updates have been made in the past 10-15 years and I wear the acuvue daily disposable lenses now. They cost a bit more than the ones that you can reuse, but I prefer the disposable because there is almost no chance of eye infection from bacteria contaminating the lenses or the solutions. Believe me, eye infections are NO fun whatsoever.

At first the soft contact lenses were a little odd getting used to because you need to practice putting them in before it becomes 2nd nature. Also, things look a little different in lenses, and so you have a little adjustment period with depth perception, but they will become comfortable. In fact, I can't live without them now! I used to worry a lot about my glasses flying off my face during spins and not being able to see things in my peripheral vision but with soft lens contacts its like wearing nothing at all with perfect vision.

I considered the lasers about 7-8 years ago, but decided against it because I knew people who had the surgery and ended up with dry eye symptions and night vision problems after their surgery. At the time, I felt that it was just not worth the risk and potential side effects. Of course, things may be completely different now; it's worth doing the research to find out what is best for you.

Award
05-16-2007, 06:59 PM
Navratilova and other people wore glasses when they played tennis I think. And some people used to wear glasses while playing squash and badminton etc. Elastic band or something like that was probably needed. It might not so elegant, especially for skating, but that's something people needed to do in the past, before the time of contact lenses.

dbny
05-16-2007, 08:06 PM
some people used to wear glasses while playing squash

If you don't wear glasses, you have to wear a protective guard when playing squash, because the ball is just the right size to take out an eye.

I would love to have LASIK, but then I would be saddled with reading glasses all the time. When they can correct presbyopia also, I'll consider it.

flippet
05-16-2007, 08:32 PM
When they can correct presbyopia also, I'll consider it.

This is funny, because I *just*, today, saw an article that indicates that they now can. And there's a couple of other surgical-type options for presbyopia as well.

Sadly, I can't recall where it was. Um....oh! In this month's Real Simple magazine.

sk8er1964
05-16-2007, 08:44 PM
Navratilova and other people wore glasses when they played tennis I think. And some people used to wear glasses while playing squash and badminton etc. Elastic band or something like that was probably needed. It might not so elegant, especially for skating, but that's something people needed to do in the past, before the time of contact lenses.

When I was a kid, before I got contacts, I skated "fuzzy". There's no way you can do double jumps in glasses. I got used to dealing with the fuzzy shapes around me and avoiding them when necessary. I've done it once or twice as an adult, when the allergies got too bad, and it was difficult.

Emberchyld
05-16-2007, 08:47 PM

:cry: Unfortunately, my vision is sooooo bad compared to the curve of my eye, so lasik isn't for me (unless some amazing new technology comes out someday).

From what my eye doctor told me, a lot of the people who have side effects were people who weren't ideal candidates (like me), and to correct their vision, lasic created a concavity in their eyes (which results in reflections, etc, etc). So... make sure that you go to a reputable eye surgeon if you want lasik and get a second opinion before going under the laser!

Me, I love my contacts-- mine are the Purevision and they're fantastic! Glasses come out at night to give my eyes a good rest, though.

sexyskates
05-16-2007, 09:44 PM
I love contacts for sports, but have never liked them for reading or surgery - not enough blinking. They are great for skating. There is an adjustment period, so only wear them for short intervals at first. I have very sensitive eyes, so I only use the preservative-free saline that comes in the can, and the daily wear soft contacts.

tidesong
05-16-2007, 09:44 PM
Its funny because I got contact lenses for tests and competitions... and because of my astigmatism, the contact lenses don't seem to work all the time? The people that sold me the lenses said that the lense may rotate and become blur... I don't know, I just ran out of the last set I bought so I will have to get new ones and hopefully they work better.

Anyways my glasses flew off doing a layback during lesson and I had my coach help me hold them while I tried another without glasses and it was so much better she said that maybe I should wear contacts for lessons too.... but I've never felt really comfortable in contact lenses... eyes get tight and dry and I can't sleep in the train with them... if I take them off at the rink I'd worry about how sanitized their sinks are (which doesn't really seem too clean...), I wonder if I can just skate without glasses even if I can barely see a thing, I'll just have to put them on when I see demonstrations? lol

dbny
05-16-2007, 10:56 PM
Its funny because I got contact lenses for tests and competitions... and because of my astigmatism, the contact lenses don't seem to work all the time? The people that sold me the lenses said that the lense may rotate and become blur...

It sounds like you have toric lenses that do correct for astigmatism. They have to maintain the correct orientation (up/down) in your eye, and to do that there is a tiny weight. It the lenses do rotate in spite of the weight, and it does happen, then your vision would blur because the astigmatism correction would not only not work, but would cause distortion. If your astigmatism is not severe and you don't use the lenses other times, then you can solve the problem and save money by buying non-toric lenses.

Mrs Redboots
05-17-2007, 10:47 AM
It sounds like you have toric lenses that do correct for astigmatism. They have to maintain the correct orientation (up/down) in your eye, and to do that there is a tiny weight. It the lenses do rotate in spite of the weight, and it does happen, then your vision would blur because the astigmatism correction would not only not work, but would cause distortion. If your astigmatism is not severe and you don't use the lenses other times, then you can solve the problem and save money by buying non-toric lenses.

I have toric lenses, and while they do blur occasionally, usually a quick blink cures the problem! The thing with torics, though, is that the adjustment isn't just quite as fine as it needs to be and can be with spectacles, so my lenses don't correct my vision quite as well as my spectacles do. Fine for skating, parties, etc, but I badly need reading-glasses when I'm wearing my lenses, and go round the supermarket on the way home from the rink with my reading-glasses on a granny-chain round my neck so I can check prices, etc.!

flippet
05-17-2007, 12:48 PM
From what my eye doctor told me, a lot of the people who have side effects were people who weren't ideal candidates

Bingo.

It drives me nuts to hear about 'all the horrible side effects' from LASIK---because there's a LOT of variables that the naysayers aren't telling you. :giveup:

I had no problem with LASIK because I don't have dry eyes, I had a mid-range amount of nearsightedness and a lower range of astigmatism, and I know my body--I had no other weird problems, and I heal very quickly and well.

It's not for everyone. If you're not a good candidate, then don't do it! It's as simple as that.

Honestly, if I hadn't been having so many issues with my contacts (mostly the reaction to the lens solution--that wasn't clearing up), I would have just stuck with the contacts. I liked them while they worked for me, and they were really easy to deal with. (I've appreciated the LASIK more, however!)

flo
05-17-2007, 01:08 PM
I agree. The hardest part of the proceedure is patient selection. With all the marketing it's hard to get across to potential patients that it's not a haircut. It is permanent surgery on healthy eyes. There's a plethera of things we tested for to determine if the proceedure, and which proceedure was right for the individual. One of the most important were expectations. If someone came to us stating they wanted assurance of 20/20 or better vision, then we turned them down.

Because of our screening we had great results and very happy patients.

sceptique
05-17-2007, 01:49 PM
Contacts are the only option for me; I've got about -18 on my both eyes and glasses do not help at all - I can hardly cross the street when wearing them. So I put my contacts on first thing in the morning and take them off just before bed. I'm still waiting for some surgical breakthough as LASIK etc. isn't and option for me (not enough cornea depth to correct that kind of miopia). Meanwhile, I wear monthlies and make sure that I always buy the most advanced lens solution on the market (ReNu No Rub or similar). Most of the problems I had were due to cheap solutions, not lenses. As long as I stick to the "right" ones - things are fine.

tidesong
05-17-2007, 09:16 PM
Yeah I have toric lenses now that you say that word I remember it being used and my astig is about 200 in each eye which is at the threshold of being high enough to make me uncomfortable without it, the person at the shop let me try one of those fake glasses without astig to try how that felt before and I didn't quite like it but I dunno maybe I can try that again. Since when the toric lenses rotate bad, its quite bad...

daisies
05-18-2007, 05:20 PM
I wear Focus Dailies and I think they are thinner than the Acuvues I was wearing previously and that's why they tore. I'm not a big fan of the Focus Dailies, but that's what Costco prescribed and they are really cheap there, so I deal with it. Every once in a while, when I first get on the ice and start moving fast, the wind shifts a lens a bit, then it settles and is OK after that. Otherwise, they are great and I really can't skate in my glasses, which are progressive lenses.
I wear Focus Dailies as well, and the same thing happens to me ... it always happens on the six-minute warmup at competition, because it's the only time I get moving really fast after just getting on the ice! I have to close one eye for a bit while I'm stroking around, and then it's OK.

Luckily I've never had them tear while in my eye (knock on wood). They have torn when I was trying to take them out though. The latest batch I got seem slightly thicker and aren't clear like they used to be; they have a slight blue cast to them, probably to make them easier to find if you drop them!

Skate@Delaware
05-19-2007, 05:58 AM
Contacts are the only option for me; I've got about -18 on my both eyes and glasses do not help at all - I can hardly cross the street when wearing them. So I put my contacts on first thing in the morning and take them off just before bed. I'm still waiting for some surgical breakthough as LASIK etc. isn't and option for me (not enough cornea depth to correct that kind of miopia). Meanwhile, I wear monthlies and make sure that I always buy the most advanced lens solution on the market (ReNu No Rub or similar). Most of the problems I had were due to cheap solutions, not lenses. As long as I stick to the "right" ones - things are fine.

Here is a site that covers some of the alternatives to Lasik:
http://lasik.wustl.edu/lasik/website.nsf/C/A9C66D1BE8D76CD486256D6A005AF98F

I thought it was interesting and educational.

Nope, still not getting it done...can't afford it. If my insurance covered it, I would if I pass the screening. (hmmmm, I need a sugar-daddy to help with these "expensive" things!!!! :lol: )

sue123
05-24-2007, 11:14 AM
I just picked up a fresh supply of contact lenses. I wear the Acuvue Dailies, which I like, and went to order a refill. Turns out, they don't make htem anymore. What they make are something called Acuvue Daily Moist, which is hte same thing as the old ones, but better, as was explained to me by the person working at the optical place.

I got home, and figured I'd better try a pair because I would return them if anything. Turns out the moist lenses are so nice. They slid right in nice and easily, they're soft, you can't feel a thing. And since I've put htem in, my eyes still haven't gotten dry, and I normally have a problem with dry eyes. So the Acuvue Daily Moist gets my vote if anyone is considering lenses.

Sessy
05-24-2007, 11:42 AM
(hmmmm, I need a sugar-daddy to help with these "expensive" things!!!! :lol: )

Don't we all? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: