View Full Version : NISA talent ID table

peanutskates
05-15-2007, 01:57 AM
as per requests... here is the NISA talent ID table (NB, this is in the UK only)

first page: ladies
second page: mens
third page: pairs

http://www.iceskating.org.uk/files/NISA_Docs/squadgb/appendix2talentid_icedancepair_skating_ladiesmens_ 2007.pdf

Scarlett
05-15-2007, 06:03 AM
Very interesting. Can you explain exactly how it is used? Is there funding attached or is it just a reference guide for parents?

Logan3
05-15-2007, 08:18 AM
So a kid has to have most of the double jumps by age 9 in order to be labeled talented 8O !

I think in order for this to happen you need a very rigorous training program. I was watching the girls that skate with my dd and are mostly in the testing stream and it seems that they get their doubles about 10to 11 years old (I think they skate 4 times a week, with 2 , 30min lessons).

So I guess I will never know if my dd has olympic potential !!!!

dbny
05-15-2007, 10:06 AM
So a kid has to have most of the double jumps by age 9 in order to be labeled talented 8O !

In the US, if you go to Jr Nationals, you will see that the 11 and 12 year old girls competing there have all their triples.

Silly me, I was expecting something at the learn to skate level! I think it's pretty clear without any tables to see that a 9 year old with doubles has more talent than most. IMO, almost anyone can become an accomplished skater if they work hard enough at it, and plenty of very talented kids go nowhere because they lack the necessary attention span, focus, or desire to spend a lot of time skating.

peanutskates
05-15-2007, 11:21 AM
I think that if your coach sees that you're talented by those criteria, then they might call in for some funding, you might get looked at by some officials... I know that in Essex, we have the "Youth Sports Fund" (or something like that), for talented kids in sport. but I don't know the talent ID for that.

Sylvia
05-16-2007, 09:51 AM
In the US, if you go to Jr Nationals, you will see that the 11 and 12 year old girls competing there have all their triples.
Are you referring to U.S. "Junior" Championships, which is the national championship for the 2 lowest qualifying levels of Intermediate and Juvenile?

Triples are not allowed in competition at the Juvenile level, and not many Intermediate singles skaters attempted triples in their programs at last season's Intermediate/Juvenile Nationals (the first time the new judging system was used at this event) -- here's the link to the detailed protocols: http://www.usfigureskating.org/event_details.asp?id=31199
(click on the PDF file links in the grey Event Information box)

I'm sure many skaters at Juv./Interm. are practicing triples, but the new judging system heavily penalizes underrotated triples, which is a good thing at these developmental levels, IMO.

Thanks, peanutskates, for posting the link to the NISA talent ID table!