View Full Version : Sit-Broken leg

chowskates
05-14-2007, 08:06 PM
chowskates, i've watched your video of the sit/broken leg/backsit several times and can't figure out how you switch to the broken leg so easily. i tried to do it the other day, and i know it didn't look like that! can you explain or offer suggestions? it looks awesome!

I started a new thread 'cos I figured this doesn't exactly fit in a thread on loops!

On the change from sit to broken leg, think of turning the free knee inwards, and pushing both knees apart. The free knee should be lower than the skating knee.

Hope this helps... :)

southernsk8er
05-15-2007, 08:56 AM
you're so right; i felt bad when i realized i had totally changed the subject. i think i see what you're saying. when i tried to do it i didn't keep my knee close, and it made my hip turn out so i couldn't spin for very long. thank you for the advice! love that video!!

kayskate
05-22-2007, 06:44 AM
I saw the sit to broken leg sit in one of your vids. It is very seamless. The rise out of the broken leg to the attitude position is also very pretty. Your axel looks effortless too. Nice footwork. Just curious if you skated as a child.

Kay

Isk8NYC
05-23-2007, 03:08 PM
AHA! I found the original thread with chowskates' cool sit-broken leg sit-change-back sit video.

http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?p=321370#35

Sorry, it was bugging me and it's too cool to not watch again.

southernsk8er
05-24-2007, 10:05 AM
Thanks for finding that! I could not remember what thread it was on. It's so impressive isn't it? :bow:

chowskates
05-30-2007, 11:20 AM
I saw the sit to broken leg sit in one of your vids. It is very seamless. The rise out of the broken leg to the attitude position is also very pretty. Your axel looks effortless too. Nice footwork. Just curious if you skated as a child.

Kay

Thanks, Kay. I started skating only my first year of college, never as a kid. It isn't exactly a common sport in the tropics!

Cheers,
Chow

doubletoe
05-30-2007, 01:45 PM
Thanks, Kay. I started skating only my first year of college, never as a kid. It isn't exactly a common sport in the tropics!

Cheers,
Chow

That's a good point. . . Yours may be the only ice rink in the world that's right on the equator!

kayskate
06-01-2007, 03:36 PM

Cheers,
Chow

Well, congrats to you! I doubt there is a higher compliment than being mistaken for a former child skater. Great accomplishments!

Kay

chowskates
06-01-2007, 11:24 PM
Well, congrats to you! I doubt there is a higher compliment than being mistaken for a former child skater. Great accomplishments!

Kay

Kay, thanks... I sometimes wonder what if I did skate as a child.
But then that's another story, and might have ended up like my piano lessons :roll:

Isk8NYC
04-26-2008, 09:26 PM
I'm resurrecting an old thread because I've been playing with broken-leg sit spins for a few days now.

Any suggestions for the arm positions? It feels off-balance to keep them stretched to the front when my leg is going to the side.

chowskates
04-26-2008, 10:16 PM
I'm resurrecting an old thread because I've been playing with broken-leg sit spins for a few days now.

Any suggestions for the arm positions? It feels off-balance to keep them stretched to the front when my leg is going to the side.

I think keeping the arms in front wouldn't look too nice either ;)

For the R arm, I usually move it to the side (together with the R leg).
For the L arm, I either stretch it up and to the left, or fold it in.
(I spin CCW)

In this video, I did just the broken leg alone at around 1:40.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCzVv63Tm6o
Started with L arm stretched out, then I pulled it in.

Cheers,
Chow

Isk8NYC
04-26-2008, 10:26 PM
I didn't have much luck with a standalone Broken Leg Sit Spin (BLSS) this week - I kept dropping the hip which of course left my free foot whirling on the ice.

I was afraid of hurting my knee, so I decided to try it from a regular sit.

I do like that arm position -- I'll give it another try next week.

Just looked at a stranger's video with the hands on the spinning thigh - that's awkward-looking, kind of hunchbacked.

The skater kept her free leg was stretched out straight to the side. Not the traditional "bent and broken" look. Interesting.

RachelSk8er
04-27-2008, 07:05 PM

I've been working on these in combo spins and when I switch from a sit to a broken leg, I have the arm on my skating side (L arm) straight up in the air and I look up that arm (tilting the upper body a little to the R too and twisting slightly), and my other arm is just kind of low and out at an angle mirroring the free leg.

It didn't look as good as it normally does when I competed at ANs because I had to cut the spin short (pretty much hit the position and came up since I already had enough revs in the camel and sit to count) because I was behind in the music, but it looks nice in practice!