View Full Version : No more skating :(

sue123
05-14-2007, 10:08 AM
I have decided to stop skating until I get back from my trip to Europe. I leave in a week and a half, and I figure I can't take the chance of getting hurt before I go. So I'll have to suffer the next week and a hlaf without skating. Hopefully, 6 weeks total off the ice won't be sooo bad for my skating when I come back.

And it's so hard now because I'm off today nad could go skating during an uncrowded public session, but I dont want to hurt myself, which with my luck, is almost guaranteed that I would.

jskater49
05-14-2007, 10:30 AM
Oh. Poor baby. Can't skate because you are going to Europe.:cry:

Have fun. When I took my daughter to Italy for three weeks, she did off ice axels, and sit ups and all kinds of excersizes her coach gave her every night and came back a stronger skater.

j

Petlover
05-14-2007, 11:25 AM
Sue, have a wonderful time in Europe!!! The ice will be there when you get back, and the break may do you good, especially for such a fun reason.

doubletoe
05-14-2007, 12:51 PM
Funny, I always go all out just before I know I have to take a break from the ice. . . I figure, heck, when I'm on my trip I won't be skating, so my trip can serve as recovery time if I injure myself before I leave, LOL! (I suspect this may fall under the category of "Symptoms of Extreme AOSS".:roll: )

Have a wonderful trip!!

Mel On Ice
05-14-2007, 01:38 PM
boy, have fun though! I think my body is telling me it likes a May siesta after AN, only I have to half-heartedly prepare for the GRO. Thank God I am only doing interp.

flying~camel
05-14-2007, 01:47 PM
boy, have fun though! I think my body is telling me it likes a May siesta after AN, only I have to half-heartedly prepare for the GRO. Thank God I am only doing interp.

I'm doing interp and freestyle @ GRO and I'm still only half-heartedly preparing, LOL!

Thank God it's just my end-of-the-season-fun-with-my-friends-at-my-home-rink competition ;)

jazzpants
05-14-2007, 01:57 PM
Doubletoe... what if there's skating involved in the trips that you're going to? (since you brought up the topic of "Extreme AOSS symptoms?" :twisted: :P :lol: )

Enjoy GRO Mel and flying~camel!!! (And enjoy Europe, sue123!!!)

LilJen
05-14-2007, 02:32 PM
I'm jealous; haven't been to Europe in 15+ years : ( Enjoy the trip before you hit the grind of med school!! I'm also off for 6 weeks but that's because I broke my ankle; thank goodness I have a TON of work right now or I would be going nuts.

doubletoe
05-14-2007, 02:42 PM
Doubletoe... what if there's skating involved in the trips that you're going to? (since you brought up the topic of "Extreme AOSS symptoms?" :twisted: :P :lol: )

Enjoy GRO Mel and flying~camel!!! (And enjoy Europe, sue123!!!)

Ha ha! Let's see. . . If it was a trip for a competition, then it would fall into the "skating" category rather than the "vacation" category and I'd practice just as much as always before my trip; I just wouldn't take major risks like trying new elements. But if it was just a skating camp or I was just going to skate for fun while on vacation somewhere, then I wouldn't worry about injuring myself first. :lol:

sue123
05-14-2007, 05:02 PM
Funny, I always go all out just before I know I have to take a break from the ice. . . I figure, heck, when I'm on my trip I won't be skating, so my trip can serve as recovery time if I injure myself before I leave, LOL! (I suspect this may fall under the category of "Symptoms of Extreme AOSS".:roll: )

Have a wonderful trip!!

See if I did that, I would guarantee injure myself, and I normally don't have relaxing vacations. I'd be running around, climbing mountains if I find them, climbing up every stair I find, etc. Being on crutches bcause I hurt my knee or osmething would really cramp my style. And considering I managed to dislocate my knee while I was just standing in my skates, and about 2 weeks before my trip to Israel, I'm afraid what would happen if I went all out one and a half weeks before.

Of course, when I dislocated my knee before Israel, it managed to go back in on it's own, and I didn't tell anybody. I waited until after I came back from my trip, which involved an archaeological dig, hiking, cave crawling, crater climbing, etc. before telling anybody and seeing a doctor. I was afraid if I went to a doctor, he would tell me to be on crutches and I'd have to cancel my trip.

Skate@Delaware
05-14-2007, 05:26 PM
My daughter and I went to Europe just recently for 11 days. We left before our rink closed (a week beforehand) and returned when it was closed, locked, etc. I was so afraid to jump because if I hurt myself, I would not be allowed to go. Good thing-we had a blast and 99% of the trip involved walking, walking, and then some walking (and Europe seems to be all uphill and cobblestones).

I feel your pain!

Mrs Redboots
05-15-2007, 01:37 PM
I have decided to stop skating until I get back from my trip to Europe. I leave in a week and a half, and I figure I can't take the chance of getting hurt before I go.

Whereabouts are you going, Sue? If it's France, be sure and call in at the Mountain Cup (1-3 June at Villard-de-Lans).

Raye
05-20-2007, 04:30 AM
Sue, Have a fabulous holiday!!!

sue123
05-20-2007, 08:55 AM
Whereabouts are you going, Sue? If it's France, be sure and call in at the Mountain Cup (1-3 June at Villard-de-Lans).

I'm going to be in Madrid, Barcelona, Avignon, Nice, Monaco (although I'll travel there from Nice), Pisa, Florence, Rome, Berlin, Prague, Vienna, Budapest, and Krakow, then heading back to Berlin to fly home.

Only thing is, I'm not sure of the days of where I'm going to be. I know on my birthday, June 8, I'll be in Rome, but that's about it.

Mrs Redboots
05-20-2007, 10:59 AM
I'm going to be in Madrid, Barcelona, Avignon, Nice, Monaco (although I'll travel there from Nice), Pisa, Florence, Rome, Berlin, Prague, Vienna, Budapest, and Krakow, then heading back to Berlin to fly home.

Sounds like a glorious trip. Only thing is, don't do what we did last year and try and drive through Monaco on the Grand Prix weekend, it simply can't be done! And the Boulevard des Anglais in Nice looks exactly like you think it will!

We liked Avignon, although it was too hot when we were there. We didn't care for Italy very much, but we really only saw Torino. And Prague/Vienna/Budapest are lovely, we were there last October. Never been to Krakow though, although we did go to Warsaw and hoped to have time for a side trip, but didn't.

Sorry, this is not about skating - although Vienna has a lovely ice rink just across the road from the Donauzentrum (oh, and don't miss the shopping centre in the old gasometers, down at Semmering) where the Karl Shafer Memorial Trophy is held each year (sorry, can't do most accents on this machine!); we watched it last year. Metro Kagram.

sue123
05-20-2007, 11:29 AM
Sounds like a glorious trip. Only thing is, don't do what we did last year and try and drive through Monaco on the Grand Prix weekend, it simply can't be done! And the Boulevard des Anglais in Nice looks exactly like you think it will!

We liked Avignon, although it was too hot when we were there. We didn't care for Italy very much, but we really only saw Torino. And Prague/Vienna/Budapest are lovely, we were there last October. Never been to Krakow though, although we did go to Warsaw and hoped to have time for a side trip, but didn't.

Sorry, this is not about skating - although Vienna has a lovely ice rink just across the road from the Donauzentrum (oh, and don't miss the shopping centre in the old gasometers, down at Semmering) where the Karl Shafer Memorial Trophy is held each year (sorry, can't do most accents on this machine!); we watched it last year. Metro Kagram.

We definitly won't be driving into Monaco, I think we're taking the train in. We also might plan a side trip to Cannes from Nice, but I looked at our itinerary, we're missing the film festival by just under a week. I think all the celebs will be gone by that point.

Maybe we'll check out that ice rink :) My friend I'm going with went ice skating once and said never again. But if there's time for a public session... I won't be bringing my skates though. There is a weight limit on the airline, and especially on the budget airline we're taking in Europe. I can't waste 10 pounds on skates that I might wear once in Vienna.