View Full Version : Boots and foot problems

Scarlett
05-14-2007, 06:55 AM
I have been having an ongoing problem with boots. I have been in Jacksons (totally wrong fit) to Riedells which were better but still not great into SP-Teris. I love the fit of the SPs....the problem is I am developing corns on my toes. Aside from being unsightly, is this a problem? Would switching to another brand help?

Any advice would be very welcome.

techskater
05-14-2007, 07:51 AM
Have the toes punched out. They are just a little tight in the toe box (around the top of your toes) so they rub is all. I have had this problem and it can be VERY painful and you may need surgery if you let it go too far.

dbny
05-14-2007, 10:00 AM
It's also possible that your feet are sliding every so slightly forward in the boots, or it could be a combination of both a too-low toe box and sliding. I've never heard of surgery for corns. That seems pretty extreme.

emma
05-14-2007, 10:48 AM
Yikes, welcome to the world of ugly feet. I am unable to even put my foot into any boot but Grafs. They have a wider toe box than all the other boots except custom boots. Even when I had my Riedells punched out they were no where near as comfy as my Grafs.

techskater
05-14-2007, 11:40 AM
It's also possible that your feet are sliding every so slightly forward in the boots, or it could be a combination of both a too-low toe box and sliding. I've never heard of surgery for corns. That seems pretty extreme.

If it's really deep and nasty, it's the only way it's coming off.

Scarlett
05-15-2007, 12:12 PM
To add to this...if the ugly feet are just developing, once I get the boot problem fixed by getting the toe box punched out will the corns/callouses go away on their own or do I have to use the salicylic acid corn removers to get them to dissolve?

jenlyon60
05-15-2007, 12:40 PM
Callouses will go away on their own.

I haven't skated in 2 1/2 months due to knee surgery and I noticed last week that my callouses have almost totally gone away.

doubletoe
05-15-2007, 02:04 PM
I also wear SP Teris and generally I am happy with the fit. However, I have also developed bumps on the outsides of my pinkie toes over the past several years so I am going with a slightly wider boot this time. I already have a mixed width--A heel and B ball (the narrower heel keeps the foot from sliding up or forward) and that only cost something like $25 more than the standard stock boot. But I'm getting customs for my next pair so that I can get them with a "B+" width (between B and C) in the ball.

However, I have just accepted ugly feet as part of being a skater. I figure they're the tradeoff we make for our nice shapely butts, LOL!

dooobedooo
05-15-2007, 02:11 PM
I've started to get heel bumps. (Also known as Haglund's Deformity).

These began to be a problem last year. Now it is making it difficult to find a pair of street shoes to fit comfortably without chafing and causing blisters.

Does anybody have any advice?

dbny
05-15-2007, 02:23 PM
I've started to get heel bumps. (Also known as Haglund's Deformity).

These began to be a problem last year. Now it is making it difficult to find a pair of street shoes to fit comfortably without chafing and causing blisters.

Does anybody have any advice?

Most likely, the heels on your boots are too deep (extend too far back) for your feet. Riedells have rather deep heels and my DD had heel bumps from them. They went away almost completely after she switched to custom Klingbeils.