View Full Version : Coach-tiquette

Emberchyld
05-13-2007, 04:57 PM
Okay, so this is a little bit theoretical because the extreme lack of ice time at my weekend rink might make this moot, but...

I'm really itching to do an artistic interp competition next year. Currently, I bounce between 2 rinks (2.5 hrs apart-- week rink by my office, weekend rink by my home). I take LTS at my weekend rink and do Freestyles and the occasional private on the weekday rink.

I haven't taken privates for a few months because of injuries, but have worked with 2 coaches (1 coached me on the LTS elements), one of whom I see every week during freestyle. I don't take regular lessons with them, and they both know that I'm budgeting myself to one to two privates a month and taking LTS.

Problem is, my LTS instructor would be, in my opinion, the best person to coach me (and help choreograph) for any program. She has the ballet background and a fluid style that suits me (plus, other instructors who know her and have seen me skate say that she'd be the best person for me to work with thanks to my ballet background and the way that I move on the ice). The other two coaches, as much as I like working with them, have a much "sportier" style that I don't think will suit a program for me.

So, assuming that I even can get privates and ice time with my LTS instructor (can you do something like that on a public skate? There are no freestyle sessions at my weekend rink), what do I say to the other coaches?

dbny
05-13-2007, 05:14 PM
This happens all the time, and being a coach as well as a skater and skater's mom, I've been on all sides of it.

First, let the LTS coach know that you are interested in lessons with her and find out if she has time for you. If she says OK, then tell her that you have been taking lessons with coach A and B, and will tell them about your switch right away. Then, ASAP, let the other two coaches know that you are going to have some private lessons with your LTS coach. Be sure to tell them that you have valued your time with them and (if true) may call them again in the future. Tell your LTS coach when that's done. PSA protocol dictates that the LTS coach should then touch bases with A and B to verify that you are in good standing with them and the rinks where they work. She may already know. Everyone is now in the clear and your new coach is free to work with you.

Private lessons are given on public sessions all the time, but the rules about it vary by rink. Usually, if the sessions are not terribly crowded, it's fine. Some rinks that have huge weekend public sessions do not allow jumping and spinning during them. It's rare that you would be able to get your program music played on a public session, but if you know the rink staff (or your coach is on good terms with them) and the session is fairly empty, it can often be done.

Emberchyld
05-17-2007, 10:05 PM
Thanks, dbny! I never know how to handle these things!