View Full Version : learning doubles

newskaker5
05-13-2007, 01:39 PM
For those of you who can do doubles - how did you start learning them? Did you use a harness? If not, did you just pull in more and not check out to get used to the feel? Just curious -not there yet but hopefully soon 8O :lol:

Amandaskategirl
05-13-2007, 03:08 PM
I am not sure if I should be giving advice as I cannot land doubles but I will tell you what I think anyway.

I didn’t use a harness. I started off by trying jump combinations of the relevant jump. For example for a double loop I will practice loop-loop-loop or loop-backspin. Practicing backspins and rotational exercises is helpful too. Then when I attempt a double loop I think about making everything quicker - taking off faster, pulling in quicker and making the movements a bit smaller. I do definitely think something different when trying double jumps, they don’t just feel like singles where you stay in longer. The whole thing feels different to me. It is necessary to adjust the speed of the entrance and many things about the jump accordingly.

Have fun learning doubles when the time comes!

techskater
05-13-2007, 03:35 PM
Amanda-there's your issue! Your take off should be the same for doubles as for singles as to timing. It should not be quicker but have the same feel with a quicker snap.

flo
05-14-2007, 09:40 AM
I practiced both in and out of the harness. The harness gives you a tiny bit more time at the top of the jump.

blackmanskating
05-14-2007, 05:48 PM
I definitely used a jump harness. I also did double rotations on the ground to get used to pulling in and pulling "up". Some people are more comfortable with jumpig than other people but I find that the fear of falling/hurting myself is what holds me back. If I let go of that, I could see myself doing triples in the future.

BlackManSkating