View Full Version : Bronze Freestyle test.... I need a pep rally!

Terri C
05-12-2007, 01:14 PM
This Friday, I will be taking my Bronze freestyle test for the first time in 5 years for the fifth time (before the adult moves were required).
I passed Bronze moves in December and was all set to take the free earlier this year, but work commitments and a strained ligament on my right ankle kept me from testing up till now.
Runthroughs have been fine, other than re- twisting my ankle on Thursday on a loop landing, again, I've been skating 90-95% clean programs. I will be wearing a Ace brace while skating to give my ankle more stability.
Any pre test words of wisdom out there?

peanutskates
05-12-2007, 01:16 PM
*breathe*

and good luck!

jazzpants
05-12-2007, 02:13 PM
Okay, time to get the girls to cheer on 'ya! :lol: :P

http://www.cosgan.de/images/kao/sportlich/c015.gif http://www.cosgan.de/images/kao/sportlich/c020.gif http://www.cosgan.de/images/kao/sportlich/c025.gif

(I'll let you figure out which one is me, Janet or Debbie! :lol: )

As for words of wisdom:

REST YOUR ANKLE THIS WEEKEND!!! :lol: And keep your lesson on Monday easy!!! You want a CALM lesson this week!!!
Go for auto-pilot.
And at the test... three words that my coworker gave me when I had to go into my boss' office for a performance review and ask for a raise: LET IT GO!!! You did the best that you can do under the circumstance. You've trained hard! And you got good coaches to help you out. Now it's time to LET IT GO and let your muscle memory and training do its job!!!
Have a VERY GOOD TIME when you're on the ice doing your test! Smile and say to yourself that I'm gonna celebrate NOT having to take this test again!!! Let that positive energy flow thru you as you go thru your elements during the test.
And after the test... pick out a favorite place you want to go to and order exactly what you want! (Hey, you wanna celebrate, right? ;) )

Isk8NYC
05-12-2007, 02:49 PM
Good test vibes comin' your way, Terri C.

I was useless at work the day of my last tests - I kept thinking about the test that evening. (I hadn't tested in ~~ 18 years!)
If you have to work before the test, take a half day/full day vacation day.

Start each practice this week with an off-ice warmup and a first-thing formal run-through as if you were testing. Pretend the judges are in the box and watch for their cues.

Best of all, know that you worked hard to prepare for this test, so you deserve to pass. Don't leave it on the warmup.

I hope you pass with flying colors!

Scarlett
05-12-2007, 04:45 PM
No advice other than to relax and GOOD LUCK!!!! I'm sending positive skate vibes your way.

Joan
05-12-2007, 05:06 PM
Good luck! Remember that the judges have the option to let you reskate 2 elements. So don't stress out if something in the program is not perfect during the test!

jskater49
05-12-2007, 06:47 PM
Good luck and remember - ATTITUDE - Go out there like you OWN the ice...because you do!

j

Sk8pdx
05-12-2007, 11:56 PM
Go Terri, Go!! :D :bow:

techskater
05-13-2007, 05:00 AM
Good luck! If you can pass the MIF, you can pass the FS test!!!

Beccapoo2003
05-13-2007, 05:54 AM
Good luck !! :D

Mrs Redboots
05-13-2007, 06:58 AM
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o205/ash_v17/icons%202/122751i60ocq8n8g.jpg

GOOD LUCK

flying~camel
05-13-2007, 08:18 AM
GOOD LUCK, TERRI! :D

Skittl1321
05-13-2007, 09:10 AM
You can do it!

Good Luck!

sexyskates
05-13-2007, 09:25 AM
Bend your knees and breathe! Remember the judges are on your side and want you to pass. If you make a mistake try to forget about it and keep focusing on the next part. Go for it and good luck!

FrankR
05-13-2007, 09:55 AM
You can do this, Terri. Good luck. :)

sk8er1964
05-13-2007, 01:08 PM
My advice? Don't skate on Thursday. You aren't going to improve any between Wednesday and your test on Friday, and if you don't skate on Thursday you (and your ankle) will be more rested for the test. :)

Best of luck!

dbny
05-13-2007, 04:25 PM
Go For It! You Can Do It!

doubletoe
05-14-2007, 12:36 AM
Terri, I totally believe in you and have 100% confidence that you will be competing in Bronze next year.

Now, for what it's worth, here are techniques that have gotten me through the tests I was freaked out about:

1. Come up with technique cue words and use them to stay focused on technique every time you do every element this week, especially while skating your program. Since you are clearly able to do all of these elements, the only challenge will be the distraction of pressure and self-doubt. If you have something more productive that you're focusing on, they won't affect you.

2. It does not matter AT ALL if you pass the test this Friday or not! You have until at least November before you need to worry about the Sectionals deadline, so there is NO PRESSURE AT ALL. So what if you don't pass this particular time? You have at least 5 more chances before it matters! So have confidence, don't make it a big deal, and on Friday, just tell yourself, "This is just what I'm doing today. At _:00 I'm practicing, then at __:00 I'm skating my program for the judges and then at __:00 I'm going to pick up the dry cleaning." ;)

TreSk8sAZ
05-14-2007, 12:44 AM
Good Luck Terri!! You can do it!

southernsk8er
05-14-2007, 10:31 AM
Good luck! Relax and know you can do it!!!

e-skater
05-14-2007, 03:20 PM
This Friday, I will be taking my Bronze freestyle test for the first time in 5 years for the fifth time (before the adult moves were required).
I passed Bronze moves in December and was all set to take the free earlier this year, but work commitments and a strained ligament on my right ankle kept me from testing up till now.
Runthroughs have been fine, other than re- twisting my ankle on Thursday on a loop landing, again, I've been skating 90-95% clean programs. I will be wearing a Ace brace while skating to give my ankle more stability.
Any pre test words of wisdom out there?

Yeah, Terri. My words of wisdom are "you know you can do this". You are well-prepared and ready, despite any ankle problems. I tested with a swollen ankle once. You can do it too, plus you've got the brace to provide a bit of support.

GREAT JOB on managing work, injuries, and everything else to get here. I'm rooting for you!

GO TERRI! Have a great test skate on Friday.

dcden
05-14-2007, 03:27 PM
I agree with what skater1964 and doubletoe said. Sometimes less (practice) is more. Don't put too much pressure on yourself!

Terri C
05-14-2007, 06:34 PM
I agree with what skater1964 and doubletoe said. Sometimes less (practice) is more. Don't put too much pressure on yourself!

And that advice was repeated to me by Secondary Coach today as I was having everything from out of body experiences to cows and kittens on my forward scratch and sit spin. That was also accompainied by a butt busting fall on step four of the eight step mohawk ( I do this and go into a scratch spin after that). She ended my lesson four minutes early and I was fine with that.
Yes I did cut my skating back to one hour instead of the normal hour and a half that I normally do. I usually do that the week of a competition anyway.

Good news from today's practice and lesson is that the ankle is fine, nerves ( and butt!)are starting to be another story!

Thin-Ice
05-15-2007, 05:21 AM
Good luck Terri--

You CAN do everything for this test. You KNOW it, your coaches know it.. now just show the judges you know it. Exude confidence. Make them think how lucky they are to have the privilege of judging YOUR test. And you might want to focus on all the nervous feelings you're having now... that way your body is going to be so tired of dealing with that feeling, it will just "oh geesh, nerves? We've been doing that ALL WEEK. There's nothing to be nervous about!"

And as previous posters said just go out and let your body do what it can do. You don't have to worry if something doesn't go exactly the way it does in practice .. you do get two elements to reskate.. but you won't need that -- unless you decide you just want to skate for the judges a little bit longer.

I've noticed something some of our local kids do: they skate out , take their opening position, make eye contact with the audience (your coach, a friend, the judges) -- maybe wink or take a deep breath, and then feel the music from the first note to the last.

And from a judge's perspective, I like seeing someone who knows they are going to perform a great program... even if we all know it's ACTING... so go out there and ENJOY having the ice ALL TO YOURSELF!!!

Skate@Delaware
05-15-2007, 06:11 AM
GOOD LUCK GIRL!!!! YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

MusicSkateFan
05-15-2007, 06:50 AM
One element at a time. Stay deep and quiet. You will be great!:D :D

Sk8pdx
05-16-2007, 12:29 AM
One element at a time. Stay deep and quiet. You will be great!:D :D

Very soothing advice-- even when one isn't testing. I think I will keep this sentiment in my skate bag for when I need it later. Thanks MSF :)
~sk8pdx

doubletoe
05-16-2007, 12:47 PM
Very soothing advice-- even when one isn't testing. I think I will keep this sentiment in my skate bag for when I need it later. Thanks MSF :)
~sk8pdx

I love it, too! It really encapsulates everything you need to be focused on!

looplover
05-16-2007, 05:37 PM
Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Terri C
05-16-2007, 07:22 PM
Okay I was a bad girl.
I figured since I was taking tomorrow off that I would skate the regular hour and a half that I usually do instead of a hour. But before anyone goes nuts, let me say one thing....I took my time, my slow sweet time to warm elements up.
On lesson, ran throught the program and still struggled with forward scratch and sits... but coach got a sit out of me at the end of lesson.
And today at work a thought occured to me. All of these elements I have had in my Pre Bronze freestyle programs the last five years or so, so why was I so worried?
I know two things- that passing this test is up to me and that I have it in me to pass. Friday at 1:30 pm- I'M GOING TO GET IT!

techskater
05-16-2007, 07:38 PM
Go Terri!!

doubletoe
05-16-2007, 08:01 PM
And today at work a thought occured to me. All of these elements I have had in my Pre Bronze freestyle programs the last five years or so, so why was I so worried?
I know two things- that passing this test is up to me and that I have it in me to pass. Friday at 1:30 pm- I'M GOING TO GET IT!

Exactly! This is why people tend to stress out about moves tests a lot more than freestyle tests. By the time you actually take the freestyle test to move up to the next level, you've already been skating a program with all of those elements in front of judges for at least a year, so the fact is, YOU ARE ALREADY A BRONZE LEVEL SKATER. Now you just need to give the judges permission to check off those elements on their lists to make it official. :)

Isk8NYC
05-16-2007, 08:10 PM
By the time you actually take the freestyle test to move up to the next level, you've already been skating a program with all of those elements in front of judges for at least a year, so the fact is, YOU ARE ALREADY A BRONZE LEVEL SKATER. Now you just need to give the judges permission to check off those elements on their lists to make it official. :)Hear, Hear! Very well put.

Give me a "T" !!!

Morgail
05-16-2007, 09:18 PM
Good luck!!! Just show them what you can do:)

Debbie S
05-16-2007, 09:36 PM
By the time you actually take the freestyle test to move up to the next level, you've already been skating a program with all of those elements in front of judges for at least a year Well, at the time I tested Bronze FS, I had yet to do a decent backspin (meaning at least 3 revs and with an exit on the spinning foot) in comp (and I also haven't really done one since, but I'm hoping I can break my streak at my club's recital on Saturday). :oops: I had done them in practice a zillion times, but not in front of judges. That occurred to me the week of the test - lol. But I did it when it counted, and Terri, given all the times you've done a good backspin, plus a loop and a sit spin, in comp, I know you can do it on Friday. Go for it!

Sk8pdx
05-16-2007, 09:41 PM
Thanks for the update, Terri. Take it easy on your "chill" day tomorrow.

--Oh, and by the way, I am getting things ready for the good news we will be hearing on Friday... the dark and white chocolate is melting quite nicely for the giant fondue fountain, bottles of bubbly are chilling in the cooler, glasses are chiming, and the vats of fresh organic strawberries are on order as well. --

truly yours from the pre-bronze gallery...8-)
~sk8pdx

doubletoe
05-17-2007, 12:10 PM
Well, at the time I tested Bronze FS, I had yet to do a decent backspin (meaning at least 3 revs and with an exit on the spinning foot) in comp (and I also haven't really done one since, but I'm hoping I can break my streak at my club's recital on Saturday). :oops: I had done them in practice a zillion times, but not in front of judges. That occurred to me the week of the test - lol. But I did it when it counted, and Terri, given all the times you've done a good backspin, plus a loop and a sit spin, in comp, I know you can do it on Friday. Go for it!

I think I have yet to do a backspin on a test or in competition where I exit on my spinning foot, LOL! I "cheat" and exit on the LBI edge after crossing my left leg over and bringing the foot all the way down. Not a single judge gave me a -GOE for doing it at AN this year at the end of my combination spin, so I figure now I can officially stop worrying about it. ;) (I hope your coach doesn't kill me for saying this!)

Debbie S
05-17-2007, 01:57 PM
I "cheat" and exit on the LBI edge after crossing my left leg over and bringing the foot all the way down. Not a single judge gave me a -GOE for doing it at AN this year at the end of my combination spin, so I figure now I can officially stop worrying about it. ;) Hmmm, that's interesting. I assumed for the Bronze FS test that I had to exit on the spinning foot, and I did, but the previous times I did the backspin in comp, I always tipped forward at the end and stumbled out of it on 2 feet. Since I've been "Bronzed", I'm doing a change-sit to back scratch spin in my program, and I usually end up putting my left foot down (probably b/c I lean to far to the right and can't kick my left foot out to the side) and exiting that way. In the choreo, when I finish the spin, I stop for a second (b/c there's a brief stop in the music at that point) so I tend to put my left foot down and turn quickly to face the direction in which I'll be headed - my coach tells me that gliding out on the LBI edge is OK, but I should hold it rather than just stepping around immediately, b/c it looks a bit sloppy. But she also adds that my goal should be to exit on the spinning foot. (someday.....:oops: )

Actually, I noticed while watching Nat'ls this year that Kimmie Meissner (who grew up skating at the same rinks where I skate now) was exiting some of her backspins in her spin combos on her left foot. I told my coach, "hey, if it's good enough for Kimmie, it's good enough for me" - lol! Of course, Kimmie holds the LBI edge and looks very polished - not a stumble in sight.

jazzpants
05-17-2007, 04:20 PM
I think I have yet to do a backspin on a test or in competition where I exit on my spinning foot, LOL! I "cheat" and exit on the LBI edge after crossing my left leg over and bringing the foot all the way down. Not a single judge gave me a -GOE for doing it at AN this year at the end of my combination spin, so I figure now I can officially stop worrying about it. ;) (I hope your coach doesn't kill me for saying this!)Hey! My backspin was exited this way and not one judge on my Bronze FS test panel made a comment about the exit. HOWEVER, they DO expect good flow coming out of the backspin though (i.e. no stumbling...)

Again...good luck Terri! The Peanut Gallery is cheering for 'ya there!!! Pom Pom's, chocolate, champagne and all!!! :D You know what you have to do now! :twisted:

Terri C
05-17-2007, 04:44 PM
I think I have yet to do a backspin on a test or in competition where I exit on my spinning foot, LOL! I "cheat" and exit on the LBI edge after crossing my left leg over and bringing the foot all the way down. Not a single judge gave me a -GOE for doing it at AN this year at the end of my combination spin, so I figure now I can officially stop worrying about it. ;) (I hope your coach doesn't kill me for saying this!)

This is actually something that my coach is interested about getting feedback on. While it had been said that you need to be spinning on your RBO edge for the spin to count, now with the IJS going on, there is credit for change of edge. I have a tendency to rock back and forth, but I exit on the RBO edge. Yes I know that my test will be judged under the 6.0 system, but the IJS is apparently engrossed in judges' brains now, so we'll see what happens.

sk8pics
05-17-2007, 04:52 PM
Good luck Terri, I'm sure you'll do great!

And btw, I'm sure a backspin on the bronze test would need to be reasonably on the back outside edge, rather than rocking to the inside. After all, in order to do a variation, you have to first be able to do the original position. That's what I would think, anyway.

Good luck!

doubletoe
05-17-2007, 05:06 PM
This is actually something that my coach is interested about getting feedback on. While it had been said that you need to be spinning on your LBO edge for the spin to count, now with the IJS going on, there is credit for change of edge. I have a tendency to rock back and forth, but I exit on the LBO edge. Yes I know that my test will be judged under the 6.0 system, but the IJS is apparently engrossed in judges' brains now, so we'll see what happens.

I'm sorry, I should have been more specific. I do my backspin CCW on my right foot and stay on the RBO edge for the duration of the spin. But at the end of the spin, I cross my left foot over my right and push off onto a LBI exit edge.

Terri C
05-17-2007, 05:08 PM
I'm sorry, I should have been more specific. I do my backspin CCW on my right foot and stay on the RBO edge for the duration of the spin. But at the end of the spin, I cross my left foot over my right and push off onto a LBI exit edge.

And I'm being a flake... I come out on my RBO edge.
doubletoe... BTW, my coaches will be in your part of the world this time next week for conference!

doubletoe
05-17-2007, 05:10 PM
And I'm being a flake... I come out on my RBO edge.
doubletoe... BTW, my coaches will be in your part of the world this time next week for conference!

Oh yeah, the PSA conference is here, and our club president was suggesting I attend, just because it would be educational. Do you know when and where it is?

Terri C
05-17-2007, 05:12 PM
Oh yeah, the PSA conference is here, and our club president was suggesting I attend, just because it would be educational. Do you know when and where it is?

I think the on ice part is at Toyota... the off ice at a Marriott.
Half of the coaches from our rink are going - recess for us!!

Tessa
05-18-2007, 01:27 AM
Break a leg. Un bocca lupo and a swift kick in the tushie and Merde (can I say that on here?)!

In other words -- you're going to rock. Breathe!:bow:

Tessa

Thin-Ice
05-18-2007, 04:45 AM
Have a GREAT test! Remember to "smile, bend, breath and look up". (That's what a friend of mine is always telling me when I prepare to face the judges!)

doubletoe
05-18-2007, 12:02 PM
And now, MusicSkateFan's wisdom deserves quoting one last time. . .

One element at a time. Stay deep and quiet.

Mel On Ice
05-18-2007, 01:54 PM
anyone else eagerly anticipating the hopefully good news?

GO TERRI

jazzpants
05-18-2007, 02:14 PM
anyone else eagerly anticipating the hopefully good news?

GO TERRIMe, me!!! Of course, I suspect that she is not the only person testing and will stay the entire test session to support the rest of the skaters testing since she is a club officer... and then she probably would want to go out and celebrate with margaritas and tequila shots afterwards. :twisted: (Hmmmm... we might not hear from her 'til tomorrow!!! LOL!!! :lol: :P )

Skittl1321
05-18-2007, 02:19 PM
(Hmmmm... we might not hear from her 'til tomorrow!!! LOL!!! :lol: :P )

I've been stalking all day hoping to hear the results. I don't know if I can wait until tomorrow!

Terri C
05-18-2007, 03:06 PM
Guys, I don't know anymore. :cry:
All week everyone, quite a few of you and my coaches have told me not to think and just do. Unfortunately, that theory does not work for me.
I was fine until the warmup. Then I get out there and cannot feel my legs at all- it was freezing in the rink. Warmup was okay, not great but okay. I was the first to skate.

I don't have my notes with me, but I'll post what I can remember...
Jumps:
Need more work, had a "wobble" on the salchow, third jump (loop) not recognizable, not enough height on combination.

Spins:
Sitspin not low enough, 2 1/2 revs on backscratch, forward scratch travelled.
Primary coach commented to me that the judges want me to have a sitspin like the girl that pass Intermediate free!:roll:

Connecting Steps:
Now this is interesting. Two judges commented that yes, there was connecting steps, with one of them commenting that yes I do need to get into the knees more. Third judge makes no comment except that I was scratchy.

So now back to the drawing board.
For those that think I'm not trying,( you know who you are) well today was proof that I am.

Skittl1321
05-18-2007, 03:11 PM
Oh bummer! We were all really hoping this one would be it. Congrats on trying again- that really takes guts to keep going out there.

doubletoe
05-18-2007, 03:39 PM
(((HUG!))) I'm sorry it didn't go as we had all hoped for you today.
What did your coach say about your skating? Did he think you skated like you normally do in practice, or were the mistakes just nerve-related? If they seemed to be just nerve-related (and/or cold-related; the symptoms are very similar!), then hopefully you'll be able to figure out how to work around that next time.
If these are mistakes you tend to make in practice, the good news is that you still have several more chances to get it perfect. Also, you got very specific feedback so you can set specific goals for your next test and have your coach monitor you to make sure you're getting enough turns on the backspin, enough height on the jumps, etc.
Progress is progress, no matter what, and regardless of today's outcome, I AM PROUD OF YOU! :)

Terri C
05-18-2007, 03:46 PM
(((HUG!))) I'm sorry it didn't go as we had all hoped for you today.
What did your coach say about your skating? Did he think you skated like you normally do in practice, or were the mistakes just nerve-related? If they seemed to be just nerve-related (and/or cold-related; the symptoms are very similar!), then hopefully you'll be able to figure out how to work around that next time.
If these are mistakes you tend to make in practice, the good news is that you still have several more chances to get it perfect. Also, you got very specific feedback so you can set specific goals for your next test and have your coach monitor you to make sure you're getting enough turns on the backspin, enough height on the jumps, etc.
Progress is progress, no matter what, and regardless of today's outcome, I AM PROUD OF YOU! :)

It was a combination of nerve related ( the struggle for toeloop and salchow) and everyday stuff (loop and sitspin).
What I'm upset with is that I had been skating 90-95% clean programs up to this week when everything went out the door.

e-skater
05-18-2007, 05:52 PM
Guys, I don't know anymore. :cry:
All week everyone, quite a few of you and my coaches have told me not to think and just do. Unfortunately, that theory does not work for me.
I was fine until the warmup. Then I get out there and cannot feel my legs at all- it was freezing in the rink. Warmup was okay, not great but okay. I was the first to skate.

So now back to the drawing board.
For those that think I'm not trying,( you know who you are) well today was proof that I am.

Terri, I know you worked very hard to get here. And I know you tried hard, too. Here's a big hug for you, as well as the drink of your choice! (or two, or three!) Think of the progress you've made to get to this point. That, in itself, speaks volumes. I have faith that you will go back, try again, and you will be all the better for having tested today. I was pulling for you.

It sounds like you've got specific feedback to work with. You and your coach can fill in the places where you need more revs, deeper edges, or whatever. Maybe your coach has some strategies for dealing with nerves, too. Especially if you felt nerves contributed majorly to how you performed. Also, getting your coach's feedback on how she thought you skated is important, too.

With all you've had going on, your nightmare job hours, your injuries.... I think it takes a lot to put ourselves out there. I'm so proud of you for testing today.

FrankR
05-18-2007, 06:11 PM
Terri,

I'm so sorry that things didn't work out today as we had hoped. I agree with what has been said so far whole-heartedly. You put yourself out there and you showed progress. That is already a big deal and you should be proud of yourself just for that. I also think that it's important to realize that this test session served the purpose of giving you the opportunity of skating your test program in front of judges in the actual test setting. That is very valuable experience. The next time you'll take this test, you'll know which elements are likely to be affected by nerves or the cold and you'll know how to cope with the situation more effectively. Keep your chin up, Terri. You'll get it next time.

Take care,

Frank

doubletoe
05-18-2007, 06:11 PM
It was a combination of nerve related ( the struggle for toeloop and salchow) and everyday stuff (loop and sitspin).
What I'm upset with is that I had been skating 90-95% clean programs up to this week when everything went out the door.

You know, it's really ironic, but that seems to happen a lot! I've found that when I have awful practices in the week leading up to my competition or test, I somehow get all the mistakes out and do really well when it counts. Then, for the first time, I had the exact opposite experience at AN this year. I was nailing everything in my program run-through the day before (something that had never happened before!) and also in my official practice ice on the morning of my qualifying round competition. I had a great 6-minute warmup, too. Then, full of confidence, I took the ice. . . and completely messed up my opening combination spin, one of the most valuable elements in my program! I continued on to skate one of the worst program run-throughs ever! I think a lot of it was nerves and my own high expectations, but I think some of it was that I was doing everything so well that I didn't know what to focus on. I'm normally focused on remembering all the little things I need to fix as each element comes up in my program, LOL!.

Scarlett
05-18-2007, 06:19 PM
Terri,

I am sorry to hear things didn't go as planned. Just wanted to let you know that I/we are proud of you for trying. It's hard right now because all you want is a batch of daiquiris but this experience wil only make you a stronger skater in the end.

jskater49
05-18-2007, 07:10 PM
Well that sucks.

I just want to say that I think you are great that you can even do a sitspin. I've been doing pre-bronze for years and I still can only do a 1 foot spin from a pivot entry. That you can even get out there and do a bronze program is really amazing and gets my respect. I don't even want to know what's behind someone suggesting you aren't trying --you wouldn't have gotten as far as you are now without hard work.

I took the Dutch Waltz, a dance that 5 year olds pass on the first try four times before I passsed it.

I understand the nerves...it just took doing several tests and competitions before I could conquer them.

Maybe you could do a critique - that's practice in front of a judge, feedback from a judge, but no pressure of the test.

You'll pass it. But I'd do something fun for awhile.

j

Moto Guzzi
05-18-2007, 07:35 PM
Terri, I'm sorry. I know you've worked very hard getting ready for this test. I admire you for having the courage to try. Your skating continues to improve and one day you will conquer your nerves and show those judges that you really can do it.

Joan
05-18-2007, 07:56 PM
Terri,

You will get it next time! I was similar to you in not passing the freeskate a couple of times before MIF were in place, then having to try MIF something like 4 times, and then having to do the FS twice more to pass. Spins are my nemesis and this test has three of them! Keep up the hard work!

sk8er1964
05-18-2007, 09:00 PM
(((Terri)))

Just curious. Have you taken all of your tests at the same club? Maybe next time you should try for a change of scenery. Maybe there's too much baggage, so to speak, at your test sessions.

dcden
05-18-2007, 09:56 PM
From Get Motivated: Daily Psych-ups by Farley and Curry, April 9 entry:

"If you train hard, you'll not only be hard, you'll be hard to beat." - Herschel Walker

We've all been fed the "hard work pays off" line. It's usually recited to us by a coach or instructor right when we're about to throw in the towel. Sometimes while running on a cold and blustery morning we challenge ourselves by saying "Faster, farther, faster, farther"; while our exhausted legs and frozen hands say "You've got to be kidding." While serving tennis ball after tennis ball from a seemingly bottomless basket, our minds say "Concentrate, focus." Our aching shoulder says, "Enough already."

Sometimes it seems as if all of our hard work does not, in fact, pay off. What it does is make us sore, tired, and downright sick of working out. These are the times we have to remember the adage, or at least Herschel Walker's spin on it.

While days and days of workouts may not seem to be yielding the results we had hoped for, and the goals we are aiming for are seeming more and more out of reach, we have to feel confident that there will be a breakthrough, and that it's just around the next corner, or over the next hill, or in the next practice.

== Hard work does pay off. It may not be today, and it may not be tomorrow, but it will happen, so I need to feel confident and keep up my workout schedule. ==

Mel On Ice
05-18-2007, 10:30 PM
rats... I know how hard you have tried and know the struggle it takes to get there. You day will come and the champagne will flow.

Isk8NYC
05-18-2007, 10:31 PM
Gee, I'm sorry Terri. I had hoped to sign in to good news. Hugs comin' your way.

Mrs Redboots
05-19-2007, 12:40 AM
So sorry to hear it. Been there, done that, and isn't it maddening!!!!

Do you compete at all? If not, it might be worth doing one or two competitions to help you get used to skating in front of judges, and help the nerves not ruin things for you. Also, there are techniques you can learn to help you conquer your nerves and make them work for you, not against you.

You'll get there one day, I just know it!

jazzpants
05-19-2007, 01:04 AM
(((Terri C)))

We've already talked early via IM. I agree that a change of scenery (i.e. another club) and maybe getting a critique of your program done about two months before you plan on testing might be a good idea. That way you get confirmation from a judge that you're ready (or in my case for the last Bronze Moves test, it confirmed that I was almost ready and that I just had these things to work on for the test to pass.) I recommend going for the "really tough" judges...I specifically aim for him b/c I know if I pass him I can pass anyone!!! (Of course, I find out at the Bronze Moves test that I passed him but not another person who I have yet to meet 'til the test session. :roll: :lol: )

I also recommend investing in a cheapo video camera (or even something like a CyberShot camera with video capability, which only cost about $150 at any old drug store) that you can hook up to your BRAND NEW computer. Then you can see what you're doing and figure out where you need to be and how you're gonna get there. Trust me, the videos of me are still not pretty, but...they have improved my skating.

We're all proud of you for going out there to try this again... regardless of the outcome!!! It's a very nasty demon to beat...but you are getting better... (I'm willing to bet a margarita that you've improved your overall score over the last time you took this time!!!) You just need new strategy to have more of an advantage to finally slay this dragon. You know you have it in you to do it... so try again!!! Besides, I am going to Lake Placid and I hope that you will be there along with me for the ride too! :D

Terri C
05-19-2007, 08:26 AM
Now to answer questions:
Mrs. Redboots, yes I do compete, but took this year off because of a combination of factors (crazy work schedule, injuries, crazy well balanced program requirements for Pre Bronze) and really then decided that it was time to work on moving up to Bronze.
As for my club, while I'm the only adult skater member there, they are very supportive. The kids cheered for me when I took the ice for my test just as loudly as they did for the Senior lady who skated and passed. My primary coach's first words after I got off the ice were "are you okay?" Several of the skating parents asked the same afterward as did my secondary coach when I met her and other skating moms for a farewell dinner for another skating parent who is moving next month.

What I think my issue is....
When I first started taking tests, I had some very negative experiences with judges, from getting yelled at to not getting the required elements on the test (there was some confusion on judge's part on the jump requirements).
A few years later there were the multiple tries on the Bronze free.
Therefore there is I think, a mental block on getting this test passed.
I'll be taking this week off from the ice and will start back with a fresh brain hopefully on Memorial Day.

ETA: My tests scores were in the 4.6-4.7 range with 5.0 as the passing score.

sk8pics
05-19-2007, 09:24 AM
Aw, so sorry to hear about that Terri. I hope you will pass the next time you try!

Thin-Ice
05-21-2007, 03:45 AM
Hi Terri--

I'm so sorry to hear things did not work out as we had all hoped. But don't think of this as a test that didn't pass... think of that test as the dress rehearsal/practice-in-front of judges for your upcoming Bronze FS test that DOES pass.

You went out there and gave it your best shot. And especially after all that you've been through the past few months, that makes you a winner in my book.

And I agree with the other posters, maybe your brain just needs to have a clean slate to take the Bronze FS test.. and you could consider taking it at some other rink or club? At any rate, enjoy your (voluntary) week off the ice. And I'm sure you'll come back refreshed and ready to tackle the specific issues the judges pointed out on Friday. One of my rinkmates is taking her Gold Moves for the 6th time next week.. she took it last month and received pretty much 17.6s and 17.7s from the judges. Her first reaction was to burst into tears, then she got the giggles and said "At least I've improved since November, when they all gave me 17.3s. I wonder if my moves just need more time?" (She knew she needed more work on specific issues.. and the judging sheets told her exactly which ones.) She has been working on this test for about 3 years... and as soon as she stopped crying and laughing, she filled out test sheets and wrote the check for this month's test.

Big hugs and we know you'll pass!

Thin-Ice

By the way, unless the Intermediate skater who has a preliminary-type sit-spin, I can't imagine any judges expecting that of you on a Bronze FS test.

LilJen
05-21-2007, 01:33 PM
((((((((Terri))))))))))))) So sorry to hear this. It must be very discouraging. Nothing more to add in the way of suggestions--I hope you are able to throw off the disappointment and continue enjoying to skate in spite of the setback.

looplover
05-21-2007, 05:34 PM
Oh no, so sorry!!!! It does really sound like a change of venue might do you good - stepping on the ice for that test there must bring in tension from the other tests. You will get it next time!

Terri C
05-21-2007, 05:47 PM
Oh no, so sorry!!!! It does really sound like a change of venue might do you good - stepping on the ice for that test there must bring in tension from the other tests. You will get it next time!

I think I need to clarify something here...
The previous times I took this test 5 years ago, my current club didn't exist, but the rink did, under old ownership. I skated on the exact same surface that I skated on when I passed Bronze moves in December.
It's the test itself I'm having a mental block on, the rink has nothing to do with it. What I have done is order the book "The Inner Champion." Quite a few of you may have seen Choleen this year at AN!

sexyskates
05-21-2007, 08:30 PM
Toss away that Pre-Bronze for life card - you will pass this test! How are your spins? I thought that the spins were the hardest part of the Bronze test (and of the Silver Test). If you really work on those darn spins so they feel secure then the judges won't care if the salchow wobbles a little. It sounds like your scores were pretty close. Get back to work on those elements and come out with confidence next time. Also, try to skate with power and speed (the judges love that). You will be stiff and nervous on the test, but everyone is. Don't worry, you are almost there.