View Full Version : How long did it take you to get your axel?

sk8dinosaur
05-10-2007, 08:50 AM
I'm curious how long its taken different skaters to get there axels? It took me about a year, and then some time longer to get it consistant.

Skittl1321
05-10-2007, 08:57 AM
Are you asking from the time you started working on it- or from the time you started skating?

I started skating 16 months ago and am not even close to beginning to work on one yet.

sk8dinosaur
05-10-2007, 08:58 AM
from the time you started working on it.

Isk8NYC
05-10-2007, 09:05 AM
8 months. Two lessons each week, four practices each week, and a total of two harness sessions. Obviously, not all the time was spent on the axel since I was competing ISI FS4. No off-ice attempts, though. Don't know why; maybe it wasn't in vogue as yet. *shrug*

Took me five years to lose it, though.
Now, I think it's gone forever! :cry: (Not that I've tried one lately)

chowskates
05-10-2007, 09:21 AM
I'm curious how long its taken different skaters to get there axels? It took me about a year, and then some time longer to get it consistant.

Too long!!

About a year from when my coach found out I was trying it on my own (with some disastrous results) to when I landed it in lesson.

Another two years of 2-footing it before landing it clean in my program.

Even now it goes on vacation once-in-a-while...

SynchroSk8r114
05-10-2007, 10:11 AM
Many skaters, like myself, took a year to get their axel consistent...only to lose it shortly afterward. But losing your axel's common, so don't frett!

kateskate
05-10-2007, 10:32 AM
3 years and counting. I landed it a few times for a very short while. But not enough to say it was consistent or that I had it.

I know very good skaters who took years or got it and then lost it. It seems to take longer than doubles for most people.

SynchroSk8r114
05-10-2007, 10:57 AM
It seems to take longer than doubles for most people.

That's because many of the doubles are similar to the axel. For example, double salchow is just an axel with an outside 3-turn before it and double toe is the same except with an inside 3-turn. The axel is essential for mastering strong in-air positions with doubles.

Mrs Redboots
05-10-2007, 12:18 PM
My husband is determined to have one before he is 60. He is 56 now.... think he'll do it?

peanutskates
05-10-2007, 02:03 PM
Mrs Redboots - sure! I think so. u just gotta believe :D

flying~camel
05-10-2007, 03:26 PM
As a teenager, it took me about a year skating 3-4 days a week.

I'm just now beginning to consistently work on relearning the axel (it's been 10 years since I last landed it), so it will be interesting to see how long it takes.

xofivebyfive
05-10-2007, 04:33 PM
3 weeks.. :oops:

coskater64
05-10-2007, 06:34 PM
When I was a child about 2-3 months, returning as an adult 9 months and I am starting to get it back working on it only twice a week for the last 2 months.

8O

blackmanskating
05-10-2007, 07:03 PM
I've been ice skating for a total of 16 months as of May 8th. I started working on my axel after 10 months of skating and it took me 2 weeks to land my first clean axel without a harness. I'll never forget that day. What's weird about me is that my doubles used to be more consistent than my axel. I would land a double sal better than I could land a single axel. :oops: However that has been changing and now I am landing it almost every time. My double salchow is the jump that sucks now and my double flip is the best and my personal favorite. Go Figure!!! :giveup:

BlackManSkating

peanutskates
05-11-2007, 01:26 AM
2 weeks, that's amazing!!! congratulations:D

skatingpanda
05-11-2007, 08:29 AM
3 seasons of skating 4 times a week Oct-Feb
+ 2 weeks of summer camp each year

That makes a total of about 16 months.

(Incidentally that was between ages 11-13 during a big growth spurt of ca. 20 cm... Talk about a constantly changing center of gravity... :roll: )

coskater64
05-11-2007, 12:25 PM
You know black man skating that you are only allowed to do through double loop in gold...if you do a double flip it will not count and it will take a jump slot using IJS so it worth 0.

blackmanskating
05-11-2007, 01:33 PM
You know black man skating that you are only allowed to do through double loop in gold...if you do a double flip it will not count and it will take a jump slot using IJS so it worth 0.

Yeah I know. My coach told me a little while ago. I thought that kinda sucked. :frus: I'll just save my double flip for Novice Masters or something. I'm not stopping at Gold level but my coach has planned elements for Silver level and Gold level. I'm not sure which one to test for. I'm still struggling with my Gold MITF so I'm thinking of sticking with Silver for now. I'll just be ahead of the game when I eventually test for Adult Masters Novice. My coach and I are planning on having a double axel, triple sal and a triple toe before I get there though. Just in case I decided to test Gold level, I am working on a double loop - double loop combination. Are flying spins allowed in Gold level?? That I don't know. I just want to make sure my programs are balanced because there's more to it than just jumps.

I am hoping that being able to do more than the requirements will take some of the edge off of competing. Nervousness tends to stiffen me up and I don't perform as well. This will be my first big competition and I don't want to screw it up. I'm not concerned about a medal, but I want to give the best performance I can.

BlackManSkating

blackmanskating
05-11-2007, 01:40 PM
2 weeks, that's amazing!!! congratulations:D

Thanks Peanutskates!!!! I have a really good coach!!! Thank God for a jump harness!!!! LOL Whoever invented that thing was a genius!!

peanutskates
05-11-2007, 01:46 PM
pahh I don't think we have a jump harness at our rink.
about your first comp, remember to BREATHE! (lol of course I didn't just get this from Ice Princess...:roll: ) but I'm serious... many people forget :lol: oh, and imagine the audience naked if you're nervous!!! that helps ;)

blackmanskating
05-11-2007, 01:52 PM
pahh I don't think we have a jump harness at our rink.
about your first comp, remember to BREATHE! (lol of course I didn't just get this from Ice Princess...:roll: ) but I'm serious... many people forget :lol: oh, and imagine the audience naked if you're nervous!!! that helps ;)

I'll be the first one to forget. What I'm really nervous about is forgetting to take my blade guards off before I skate and falling on my neck as I go out on the ice!!!! I saw that happen to someone once and it messed the performance up completely. I can see myself doing something like that. It's one thing to be able to do doubles in front of your coach. It's a whole new animal to be able to do it in front of an audience. I'm getting butterflies right now.

peanutskates
05-11-2007, 01:58 PM
Imagine yourself doing everything RIGHT, not wrong. and whilst you're sitting by the rink before your program, take your guards off when you sit down.

Mrs Redboots
05-11-2007, 02:06 PM
I'll be the first one to forget. What I'm really nervous about is forgetting to take my blade guards off before I skate and falling on my neck as I go out on the ice!!!! I saw that happen to someone once and it messed the performance up completely. I can see myself doing something like that. It's one thing to be able to do doubles in front of your coach. It's a whole new animal to be able to do it in front of an audience. I'm getting butterflies right now.

The gate steward will remind you - it's one of their jobs.

blackmanskating
05-11-2007, 02:20 PM
The gate steward will remind you - it's one of their jobs.

That is really good to know!!! Thank God!

vesperholly
05-11-2007, 03:22 PM
Flying spins are allowed beginning at Silver.

Scarlett
05-11-2007, 07:55 PM
BlackManSkating-

Which competition are you doing? If it is local, I would love to repay the favor and cheer you on.

coskater64
05-11-2007, 08:48 PM
Silver level caps at an axel and of course you can do the flying spins, camel, sit or flying forward sit if you like. In gold you can do double doubles so long as the jumps are all 2 loop or under, so 2loop 2loop sounds like a good idea. If you skate gold or master's you will be judged under IJS for AN's so be prepared for that. To skate Master's Novice you will pass the standard track intermediate FM and then the FS. Adult tests stop at gold and then you just go onto the standard track.

Good luck sounds like you are well prepared. If you decide to stay in Silver a good comp is Halloween classic in Aston, PA or the New Year's invitational in suburban DC. Both have a lot of silver men for gold men maybe peach as well.

:D

blackmanskating
05-11-2007, 09:25 PM
BlackManSkating-

Which competition are you doing? If it is local, I would love to repay the favor and cheer you on.

Hey Scarlett!!! I'll be sure to let you know.

Silver level caps at an axel and of course you can do the flying spins, camel, sit or flying forward sit if you like. In gold you can do double doubles so long as the jumps are all 2 loop or under, so 2loop 2loop sounds like a good idea. If you skate gold or master's you will be judged under IJS for AN's so be prepared for that. To skate Master's Novice you will pass the standard track intermediate FM and then the FS. Adult tests stop at gold and then you just go onto the standard track.

Good luck sounds like you are well prepared. If you decide to stay in Silver a good comp is Halloween classic in Aston, PA or the New Year's invitational in suburban DC. Both have a lot of silver men for gold men maybe peach as well.

:D

Thanks for the clarification. I'm looking forward to my first competition. I haven't decided which one it will be. I'm going to do the best I can.

BlackManSkating