View Full Version : Jacksons

Sessy
05-10-2007, 05:27 AM
Which Jackson boots are made to stand up well for the axel and doubles, but aren't so hard that they're triples material (because I've no desire to skate in rock hard boots, given my predisposition to get bone spurs easily). I can't figure out anything on their website with the designations from recreative to competitive to elite. It doesn't tell me what that means at all.

And the guy at the skate shop is just starting to sell Jacksons, so far he only had Graf, Wifa, Edea and Risport so I'm not sure he really knows. The feeling I get is that what he's advising will be too soft, but I'm not sure whether that feeling is right. He's to my knowledge the only one in the Netherlands selling the brand though, and I really liked the shape it had on my feet so... Don't really wanna go to Germany for the skates (especially because in Germany, they don't speak Dutch and usually speak English badly, and my German isn't good enough to talk about the details of boot fitting).

AW1
05-10-2007, 06:53 AM
I think Jackson Freestyle (softer) and Compeditors (slightly harder) are the ones under the Elite. I have the Compeditors, and whilst they are a firm boot, I'm also a heffa weight wise, so I need that support so I don't wreck them in 5 seconds flat.

Skittl1321
05-10-2007, 07:10 AM
I've had competitiors for a year- and while I only do single and half jumps and only skate a week- they show NO signs of being broken down at all. Actually if it wasn't for the small lunge mark and the learn to skate kids scratches on the toes they look brand new.

I don't think freestyles are made for axels for anyone but tiny kids.

Clarice
05-10-2007, 07:38 AM
My daughter and I both wear Elite Supremes. She's working on triples, I'm working on a single axel. We both like them, and have found them very comfortable. There was very little break-in required. Even this boot doesn't feel "rock hard" the way my past boots did (not Jacksons). We both also do dance in them - probably a different boot would suit that better, but it's not impossible even now.

WannabeS8r
05-10-2007, 09:42 AM
I don't think freestyles are made for axels for anyone but tiny kids.

Why not? I have Jackson Freestyles and my coach said I am ready to attempt an axel sometime this or next week... oh, and I'm 12 (and rather tall). ;)

Skittl1321
05-10-2007, 10:10 AM
Why not? I have Jackson Freestyles and my coach said I am ready to attempt an axel sometime this or next week... oh, and I'm 12 (and rather tall). ;)

The Freestyles I have seen did not seem to have nearly the degree of support that the Competitors have. I'm by no means an expert, that was just my opinion. Although I know you can change the blade, based on the blade they come with I don't think they were meant to be that level of a skate. I can't find on Jackson a guide like Reidell has for levels, but I have seen on at least one site (but not on many) that say Freestyles are for "low level freestyler landing single jumps up to an axel"- so there you go, I guess it is recommended by at least someone.

However, I'm pretty sure Sessy is an adult- and while I've seen that she is small from her photos, I as a small adult (though not as small as I could be about 115 pounds) felt that the Freestyles did not have the amount of support I wanted as I moved into Freeskate from LTS.

Sessy
05-10-2007, 01:52 PM
I'm average length, pretty skinny but over a 120 pounds and the more I skate, the heavier I become (even though I did loose some inches). My testosterone levels are also several times those of normal women according to my gynecologist so I'm guessing I'm nowhere near done building muscle (and therefore, weight) yet. I've also been trying the axel for a while already, even very nearly landing it once, that's how I broke down my current skates in the first place. So I'm guessing competitors it is then.

How long does it take to break them down generally? I'm hearing a lot of things in the 1 year range on other forums?

WannabeS8r
05-10-2007, 02:01 PM
How long does it take to break them down generally? I'm hearing a lot of things in the 1 year range on other forums?

If you are talking about Jackson Freestyles, it took me like 2-3 weeks to break them in (skating only once a week for 2-4 hrs). It also helps if you wear them in your house, and they break in much faster. I thought it was impossible at first, but now they feel completely natural. *knocks on wood*

doubletoe
05-10-2007, 02:35 PM
By the way, if you are going to wear them around at home before putting the blades on them, make sure you don't walk in them. The soles of skate boots are not meant for the rolling action of walking and can actually be damaged by it. So unless you can stay completely flat footed while "walking" or climbing stairs in them, it's best just to wear them while sitting in a chair.

skatersmama
05-10-2007, 02:47 PM
My daughter had freestyles up to 2salchow, but they began breaking down quickly after starting axel. She has has the Elites for a year now and no sign of a crease yet. She is working on all doubles(but axel) and she also uses the same boots to work on gold dances. She is 5'3" about 115lbs. It took her far less time to break in the Elites than the Freestyles (???)

Debbie S
05-10-2007, 03:11 PM
Every adult I know who is in Jacksons, and is jumping, is in either one of the Elite models or the hinged boot, nothing lower. I'm not familiar with the Competitor and Freestyle boots, but given the stiffness level of the lowest Elite model (2700), I would not recommend anything lower than that for an adult doing axels and doubles.

I tried the 2700, and I think that boot was probably well-suited to my skating level (singles through loop) from a construction standpoint, but they didn't fit my foot shape very well so I took them back for a refund after a week. I'm a small adult - 5'0" and about 100 lbs - I guess if I were taller and/or heavier, I might have needed more support. The next level up from the 2700 is the 3100, also known as the Elite Plus, which I believe is rated for doubles. The highest level, the Supreme that someone mentioned on this thread, is designed for triple jumps, although I know of adults who do axels and a few doubles that are in them b/c of their size and the support issue.

I'd say you'll be fine with the 3100, Sessy - the best thing is to try on both the 2700 and 3100 and see how they feel on your feet. Jacksons are also heat moldable, which helps with the breaking-in process.

WannabeS8r
05-10-2007, 03:12 PM
By the way, if you are going to wear them around at home before putting the blades on them, make sure you don't walk in them. The soles of skate boots are not meant for the rolling action of walking and can actually be damaged by it. So unless you can stay completely flat footed while "walking" or climbing stairs in them, it's best just to wear them while sitting in a chair.

Personally I wore them with the blades and guards on all ready. I hope that is nonhazardous for the blades, since I did that practically every day for a week. :roll:

My parents don't plan on getting me any higher level boots/blades any time soon until next year, maybe, so I was wondering... are Freestyles and Mark IV blades okay for learning axels, 2sal/2toe, and more advanced spins (such as sit-change-sit, back camel, and laybacks or something)? I just got those skates.

Sessy
05-11-2007, 05:42 AM
My Risport boots (well, the box that came with them) actually say not to walk around in boots without the blades, so I knew that already. But thanks for noting!

Though I do wonder, do the boots break in from just sitting in a chair? How so?! 8O

Sessy
05-11-2007, 05:43 AM
Yeah the hinged boot thing is something I'd like as well, but I'm guessing it's going on top of what I really need right now.

starskate6.0
05-11-2007, 08:06 AM
I have been on my Jacks for about 1 and 1/2 years. My first day on them I did double toe. They where easy to break in and Iv found them to be the best boots Iv ever had. :) Im an Adult Gold skater.. and Im very aggressive on the ice.
Deep edgees most doubles and attempted some triples. ( attempted. :roll: :roll: ) Any way the point is they hold up well and fit very well. Im on the Elite ..

Thanks

skatersmama
05-11-2007, 08:44 AM
... are Freestyles and Mark IV blades okay for learning axels, 2sal/2toe, and more advanced spins (such as sit-change-sit, back camel, and laybacks or something)? I just got those skates.

My dd wore freestyles with Mark IV until last year. She was able to do all the spins (camel,sit, forward, back, corkscrew, flying camel, flying sit, etc.. You get the picture.. with no difficulty. Also axel, 2 sal & 2 toe

sue123
05-11-2007, 09:07 AM
My first pair of real skates were the Jackson Competitors. When I bought the m, the guy told me they would take me to doubles. I had to get rid of them though because after a while, they somehow got so big, I could slip my foot out of them, no matter how tight I tied them. Either my foot shrank, or the boots stretched, or they never really fit but I didn't realize it until I started getting more advanced, but I switched to Riedells and they fit much better for me.

Sessy
05-11-2007, 10:54 AM
I've already got Coronation Ace blades, I plan to have them re-mounted on the new skates.

Sessy
05-11-2007, 10:55 AM
Unfortunately, Riedells aren't sold in the Netherlands.

Summerkid710
05-11-2007, 05:07 PM
As an adult over 100lbs doing axels and doubles, you should go with the Elite 2700.

blackmanskating
05-11-2007, 05:52 PM
Which Jackson boots are made to stand up well for the axel and doubles, but aren't so hard that they're triples material (because I've no desire to skate in rock hard boots, given my predisposition to get bone spurs easily). I can't figure out anything on their website with the designations from recreative to competitive to elite. It doesn't tell me what that means at all.

And the guy at the skate shop is just starting to sell Jacksons, so far he only had Graf, Wifa, Edea and Risport so I'm not sure he really knows. The feeling I get is that what he's advising will be too soft, but I'm not sure whether that feeling is right. He's to my knowledge the only one in the Netherlands selling the brand though, and I really liked the shape it had on my feet so... Don't really wanna go to Germany for the skates (especially because in Germany, they don't speak Dutch and usually speak English badly, and my German isn't good enough to talk about the details of boot fitting).

Sessy,

Speaking from personal experience, I started with a Jackson Elite (2700). I landed my first axel in these boots. I think these should be the ones for you to get. I'm 5'7" and I weigh 150 pds. so I upgraded to Jackson Elite Plus (3100). I am now landing my doubles up to the double flip. 2700's should break in nicely. My 3100's took some work to get it to flex forward enough for a decent sit spin. I haven't tried their hinged boot. I've tried Riedell, Harlick and SP Teri. Jackson's fit my foot the best and were available for a decent price. Heat mold them twice, and you're golden. In my opinion, it's the best boot in the world. In my opinion, I wouldn't go past a single lutz in Jackson Competitors. And for the blade I would get at least an MK Pro/Coronation Ace or equivalent.

BlackManSkating

Sessy
05-11-2007, 07:14 PM
I've already practically landed an axel once, (that is, I landed it, then I fell on my butt - but the impact on the boot is the same anyway) that's also a reason I'm hesitant. And yes, I will be re-mounting my coronation ace on them. I only had the things sharpened like thrice, I'm not rich... :lol:

So competitor is not an elite model but freestyle is? weird. Anyway let's see if I get this straight, elite freestyle is softer than elite 2700, and much softer than elite 3100, right? Elite 3500 is the one with all the pretty ribbly things?
Ok. Elite 3100 sounds good from that point of view.

So 3100 is classified as elite plus on the side, but this plus has nothing to do with width or anything, has it?

One other thing. What if I decide to get black boots? I'm not a very girlish skater and I generally skate in black and don't really see that changing for the coming few years. Black is more practical in terms of scratches too. Are the sizes on the men's models the same?

blackmanskating
05-11-2007, 09:47 PM
I've already practically landed an axel once, (that is, I landed it, then I fell on my butt - but the impact on the boot is the same anyway) that's also a reason I'm hesitant. And yes, I will be re-mounting my coronation ace on them. I only had the things sharpened like thrice, I'm not rich... :lol:

So competitor is not an elite model but freestyle is? weird. Anyway let's see if I get this straight, elite freestyle is softer than elite 2700, and much softer than elite 3100, right? Elite 3500 is the one with all the pretty ribbly things?
Ok. Elite 3100 sounds good from that point of view.

So 3100 is classified as elite plus on the side, but this plus has nothing to do with width or anything, has it?

One other thing. What if I decide to get black boots? I'm not a very girlish skater and I generally skate in black and don't really see that changing for the coming few years. Black is more practical in terms of scratches too. Are the sizes on the men's models the same?

I'm not sure if the jackson freestyle is a part of the elite series. To my knowledge there are only 3 boots in the elite series: the 2700, 3100, and 3500. I believe that the Ladies sizes and the Mens sizes are the same. The Elite Plus is just a stiffer version of the Elite. I guess that's what the "Plus" means. The Elite Supreme is the one with the flexible openings on the tongue. I don't believe they even make the Jackson Competitor in Black. If you opt for a black 3100, it comes in leather or suede. (I have suede it looks awesome) There is no extra charge for the suede either.

BlackManSkating

SkatingOnClouds
05-12-2007, 02:59 AM
Just checked Jackson's website, Freestyle is the model below Competitor.

Competitor is the model recommended to most skaters around here who intend skating up to axels and doubles - but that is teenagers here.

As an adult I would agree with the recommendation to go for the next model up, which is Elite.

Skate@Delaware
05-12-2007, 06:09 AM
As someone who has skated in Jackson's since day one (about 4+ years ago) I suggest you get the Elite model or the hinged boot.

Just make sure they measure the ball of your foot AND your heel!!! That way they can custom fit the boot to the shape of your foot (this is important if you have a smaller/larger heel-you don't want it sliding around because of your spur history; you also don't want it cramped).

I have the Elites and I'm happy-split sizing was ordered because my heel is way smaller than normal. I'm 135 pounds.

Hubby has the hinged boot and he loves them, he can really bend in them!!! He doesn't jump or spin but it helps him with his regular skating (he is 58 years old).

techskater
05-13-2007, 04:54 AM
According to a friend who was sized for boots in the last week, Jackson has the hinged boots off the market for the time being as they resolve some issues. It's Elites or nothing, but make sure they are the right boot for your foot type.