View Full Version : What happens with skaters who lose their skates to an airport?

FSWer
05-09-2007, 09:45 PM
Say,I was reading an artical in IFS., and it lead me to post this. So I was wondering....does anyone know what happens, how things are handled if an airport should loose a skater's skates or anything, with a skater(s) on their way to a competition? Does somebody arrange or do anything (since it's not the skaters fault), so the skater can still compete? Or,what hapens? Also,does anyone help a skater get their skates back?

AW1
05-09-2007, 10:16 PM
What happens with skaters who loose their skates to an airport?

Lots of cursing I would expect :lol: And really it would just be the regular baggage staff who would look after trying to track them down for you. Was the article about Joanne Carter when she competed at the Olympics in Torino?

Mrs Redboots
05-10-2007, 05:18 AM
Let's just hope those of us heading for the European competitions, that start next week, don't find out!

People who've come to the Mountain Cup have occasionally found their luggage hasn't changed planes with them (it usually arrives next day or the day after); they have been known to borrow skates to practice in. Thus far, I don't think anybody's had to perform in borrowed skates and costume, but it could happen.

And this time next week I'll be in Estonia! Hellllllp.

Rusty Blades
05-10-2007, 05:38 AM
Oh yes, cursing indeed! I wouldn't want to be anywhere near ME if my skates didn't show up 8O

I recently did my first competition, one I had been working my tail off for a year to get to. Being the paranoid type, I packed my costume and skates in one locked bag with big bright labels with the destination airport, my hotel, hotel phone number, home phone number (where there's an answering machine) and wrapped with a bright wide luggage strap. I wore my practice clothes (which I could skate in) on the plane and left my spare skates on the kitchen table at home. I have wide feet and custom boots so the chance of being able to borrow skates would be ZERO! If my bag had not shown up, I would have called my neighbours to put my spare skates in a box and courier them to the hotel.

I am just a nobody, not a high level competitor, but I can't understand why a serious competitor would have a "Plan B" !

AW1
05-10-2007, 06:50 AM
I am just a nobody, not a high level competitor, but I can't understand why a serious competitor would have a "Plan B" !

I think that like most skaters, even elite skaters hate breaking in new skates. By the time they need new ones, there's no way their old pair is going to hold up to a competition. And breaking in 2 pairs of new skates is just asking for trouble!

Joan
05-10-2007, 07:57 AM
I think that like most skaters, even elite skaters hate breaking in new skates. By the time they need new ones, there's no way their old pair is going to hold up to a competition. And breaking in 2 pairs of new skates is just asking for trouble!

I clicked the link to your daughter. She is precious!!

Beccapoo2003
05-10-2007, 08:07 AM
That happened to me in Estonia. None of my baggage made it! Piret and her sweet friends found a pair of skates and a dress and Kristi Norman lent me a pair of her tights. OK, since I wear custom skates I couldn't do FS, but did compete in Solo Dance doing the Hickory Hoedown in a Hawiian looking flowery dress!!:lol:
Good luck to all and have fun at the European comps!! :) :)
Becca

chowskates
05-10-2007, 09:25 AM
That happened to me in Estonia. None of my baggage made it! Piret and her sweet friends found a pair of skates and a dress and Kristi Norman lent me a pair of her tights. OK, since I wear custom skates I couldn't do FS, but did compete in Solo Dance doing the Hickory Hoedown in a Hawiian looking flowery dress!!:lol:
Becca

Honestly, Becca, I was really really impressed that you could skate in borrowed skates :bow:

kateskate
05-10-2007, 11:01 AM
Becca

Argh. Don't scare me! That is my worst fear. I would cry! When coming back from a skating holiday my suitcase got lost but thankfully my skate bag arrived fine. I didn't care about my luggage, just my skates.

I don't know what I would do if my skates got lost! Cry a lot

Isk8NYC
05-10-2007, 11:10 AM
I once got to a competition two hours away and realized that I had left one skate at home. I borrowed a friend's pair to compete the figures event while my boyfriend went back home to get my missing skate. (My Mom confirmed by phone that it was on the living room floor, under the couch.)

When we used to "caravan" to faraway competitions, my friends and I used to trade backup skates and outfits. That way, if you somehow lost your own skates, a friend had the backup ones.

pairman2
05-10-2007, 11:10 AM
In my experience with lost baggage in general, the stuff was delivered to my door within 24 hours, usually quite a bit less time then that.

The best advice when you have to fly to your competition is, make it a vacation and allow a couple days for practicing, relaxing and seeing the area. That way, even if your skates do get lost, the most you may lose is one of your pre-comp practices.

FSWer
05-10-2007, 11:24 AM
Becca

Ok,how would they handle qualifacation under those curcomstances? Let's say it happens to a skater after they qualify for.....the OLYMPICS!!!! LOL,I would think that spells double-trouble. Does the USFSA. help out in any way?

Skittl1321
05-10-2007, 11:30 AM
Ok,how would they handle qualifacation under those curcomstances? Let's say it happens to a skater after they qualify for.....the OLYMPICS!!!! LOL,I would think that spells double-trouble. Does the USFSA. help out in any way?

Not the olympics, but Cup of Russia- but I knew I had read this story before.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070117.wsptskate17/BNStory/Front/home?tag=Times

Mrs Redboots
05-10-2007, 12:26 PM
Argh. Don't scare me! That is my worst fear. I would cry! When coming back from a skating holiday my suitcase got lost but thankfully my skate bag arrived fine. I didn't care about my luggage, just my skates.

I don't know what I would do if my skates got lost! Cry a lot
Piret said once that the trick is to double-check that your suitcase has the airport code TLL on it, and NOT TLN (which is Toulon). I always double-check anyway, much to the amusement of the check-in staff, but that is the important bit.

Rusty Blades
05-10-2007, 03:32 PM
I always double-check anyway, much to the amusement of the check-in staff, but that is the important bit.

Which is why I put my own BIG tag on my bags with the airport code, WAY bigger and brighter than the ones the airlines use and have all my contact information on the back. (They're only about $5.00 for a package of 4 at most travel stores.) I even have a second set that I pack for the return trip.

As far as "spare skates", The advantage of just starting out is that I went through 2 pair of boots before I figured out what I really liked so I keep the better of the 2 pair for "spare". If a person has invested tens of thousands of dollars in their training what's a few hundred dollars for spare boots?

Stormy
05-10-2007, 05:09 PM
GUYS, DON'T CHECK YOUR SKATES!! I've never NOT been able to carry them on. TSA will almost always ask to look at them, but they always let me take them on. I am not sure if it would be different internationally, but domestically, both pre and post 9/11, I've never had one issue.

AW1
05-10-2007, 07:47 PM

It happened to the Australian Ladies representative at the Torino Olympics in 2006. She arrived and her skates didn't - took them 50 hours to get her skates so while the others in the field had 2 days of practice, she had a matter of hours :(

Story here; - http://www.smh.com.au/news/sport/carter-comes-back-in-from-the-cold/2006/02/05/1139074110264.html

2salch0w
05-10-2007, 09:24 PM
Just at this past AN in Chicago this happened to me. Due to the weather in Chicago my flight was cancelled, then the next best one got me in 6 hours late. And sure enough, my skates didn't make it.

So I missed my practices, but worse than that, I didn't actually get my skates til 4am. Official 20 minute practice was 6:30AM, competed at 8:00AM. And on 1 hour sleep because I had to check on the skates all night and lay there worrying in between.

So listen to Pairsman - allow more of a buffer when flying to a competition.

Tim

Emberchyld
05-10-2007, 10:31 PM
GUYS, DON'T CHECK YOUR SKATES!! I've never NOT been able to carry them on. TSA will almost always ask to look at them, but they always let me take them on. I am not sure if it would be different internationally, but domestically, both pre and post 9/11, I've never had one issue.

Unfortunately, according to the TSA website, skates are banned items in carry-on luggage. You were very lucky that you had some lax TSA officials, but you don't want to be stuck in a situation where you don't check your skates and then have to find a way to properly wrap and check your skates.

WhisperSung
05-10-2007, 10:41 PM
I don't know what TSA is, but I've never checked my skates. Even right after 9/11 when my synchro team was flying to Boston, we got permission to bring our skates on the plane with us (they had to be in a locked bag with the airlines holding on to the keys).

I took them with me on the plane to AN in Dallas and Chicago, and I just dragged them with me to Sacramento. This past February, they accompanied me to Milwaukee. The ONLY time I've had a problem was this last week when I got stopped going through security, but that was only because they saw a water bottle I'd forgotten to remove (thought I'd gotten them all out before I left for the airport!) and needed to confiscate it.

Then again, I haven't tried to take them overseas at all, so maybe that's why it's different. I've never had an issue in the States, though. No way would I let anyone check my skates. With the custom boots, phantom blades and orthotics, that'd put me out a good $1500. 8O

Emberchyld
05-10-2007, 10:59 PM
I don't know what TSA is, but I've never checked my skates. Even right after 9/11 when my synchro team was flying to Boston, we got permission to bring our skates on the plane with us (they had to be in a locked bag with the airlines holding on to the keys).

The TSA is the Transportation security Administration-- they're in charge of airline security:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1038.shtm

Ice skates are not permitted on board an aircraft in carry on luggage (as per the above link)

You can be lucky. In some of the more lax airports they might not notice or know or care, but take it from someone who flys regularly-- you might get through some times but you don't want to go through the hassle of shipping the skates to yourself or trying to check your skates at last minute (and then going through security again).

What your syncho team did was best. Try contacting your airline and your airport's TSA and see if that can be done whenever you fly with your skates if you're too afraid to check them.

Mrs Redboots
05-11-2007, 05:45 AM
Which is why I put my own BIG tag on my bags with the airport code, WAY bigger and brighter than the ones the airlines use and have all my contact information on the back.

I hope you don't put your address where it can be read by any passing random person - I believe burglars haunt airport check-ins and make notes of addresses..... I do have my name and address inside my suitcase, but never where it can be seen.

Which reminds me, I need to get something to personalise Husband's new suitcase - his old one was patterned so easy to pick out on the carousel, but the new one isn't. I have a vivid green strap on mine - maybe I'll get him something similar.

Derek
05-11-2007, 06:00 AM
Which reminds me, I need to get something to personalise Husband's new suitcase - his old one was patterned so easy to pick out on the carousel, but the new one isn't. I have a vivid green strap on mine - maybe I'll get him something similar.

A wrap of coloured electricians tape round the handle is a quick method, non damaging and can be removed if you determine something more individual.

sue123
05-11-2007, 09:09 AM

You can stick tape, like somebody mentioned, or you could tie some ribbons onto the handle. On my trip to Paris, I had a plain black suitcase, so I tied Happy Birthday, Merry Christmas, and Happy Hannukah ribbons along with some other bright ribbons onto the handle.

Oddly enough, for my trip to Europe last year, I bought a red suitcase, figuring it would be easy to spot. Well, everyone now has a red suitcase, so it seems like having a black suitcase is more unique than red!

CanAmSk8ter
05-11-2007, 11:37 AM

I've never had an issue taking mine on, either. I live near a major training center and I think the employees at our local airport are used to having skaters bring skates through security, but I always say something to the screener as I put my bag on the belt and I've never had an issue- although once, the rhinestones on one of my costumes were reflecting light and keeping them from seeing the images from my garment bag. The guy actually said to me, "Are these skating costumes?" (This is why I say they're used to skaters coming through our airport, LOL). I unzipped the bag to show him that they were, and I was on my way.

I assume at an international the USFS Team Leader would be responsible for helping a skater track down their skates, but if the airline can't get them to the skater on time, and a replacement pair can't be found, there wouldn't be any accomodation for the skater because it's his/her responsibility to have a backup plan. Most would probably have an old/extra pair at home that could be overnighted via UPS or FedEx in time for the competition, if not all the practices.

Rusty Blades
05-11-2007, 12:16 PM
I hope you don't put your address where it can be read by any passing random person .....

Not a problem. I live in a rural area (no street numbers) so I just have my home phone number on the tag (no address in the phone book either) and my postal box number at nearest town with a post office. EASY to get in touch with me but HARD to find me 8-)

blackmanskating
05-11-2007, 02:28 PM
I've never had an issue taking mine on, either. I live near a major training center and I think the employees at our local airport are used to having skaters bring skates through security, but I always say something to the screener as I put my bag on the belt and I've never had an issue- although once, the rhinestones on one of my costumes were reflecting light and keeping them from seeing the images from my garment bag. The guy actually said to me, "Are these skating costumes?" (This is why I say they're used to skaters coming through our airport, LOL). I unzipped the bag to show him that they were, and I was on my way.

I assume at an international the USFS Team Leader would be responsible for helping a skater track down their skates, but if the airline can't get them to the skater on time, and a replacement pair can't be found, there wouldn't be any accomodation for the skater because it's his/her responsibility to have a backup plan. Most would probably have an old/extra pair at home that could be overnighted via UPS or FedEx in time for the competition, if not all the practices.

I've never had an issue either. I am in the D.C. Area and I took a trip to Chicago and back with my skates and I didn't have a problem. They inspected them but they didn't say I couldn't bring them. On the other hand, I had to throw away my bottle of sunscreen. I was angry at that.

Stormy
05-11-2007, 06:05 PM
I know skates are on the TSA list of banned objects, but I will always try to take them on. And I fly out of Boston, where security shouldn't be lax. I just won't risk that they won't get a competition. Hopefully I'll continue to be lucky, but it seems like lots of people haven't had problems.

Sessy
05-11-2007, 07:31 PM
Mom's flown with figure skates, but she checked them in. I've flown with literally anything, except for figure skates to be honest. However, I've flown both pre and post 9/11 with such stuff that really oughta have my butt busted. Like, vaccines, cats (without documents! international!), medications, medications classified as psychotropic drugs (without getting asked for a receipy), a scythe and oh yeah, let's not forget that solid metal water boiler in my hand luggage (which, technically, was also a piece of cultural heritage).

And you know what they busted me on? A fake bullet on my keychain. :frus: Made me undress and take off my shoes.

Live vaccines? Just sit here for a second while I check... Oh it's not a problem! Poisons and psychotropic drugs? Sure - and I wasn't flyign to or from the Netherlands either. Kitty? Yeah I'll believe you (on the Russian border, then just claim to have nothing to declare on the other border and hope the kitties stay asleep) Scythe? Well sure I understand it was your great-grandmother's and you're very attached to it (it was packed very solidly into cardboard and duct tape though)

Seriously, it shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure you don't catch their attention with anything else like I did with the keychain, cuz it's no fun if you do. Well at least to the airports I've been at. None of which were in the USA.
Also my experience is that provincial airports tend to be more tough than big airports. Maybe cuz they're used to people taking on weird things at big airports, or maybe they're just too busy at big airports.

blackmanskating
05-11-2007, 09:50 PM
Mom's flown with figure skates, but she checked them in. I've flown with literally anything, except for figure skates to be honest. However, I've flown both pre and post 9/11 with such stuff that really oughta have my butt busted. Like, vaccines, cats (without documents! international!), medications, medications classified as psychotropic drugs (without getting asked for a receipy), a scythe and oh yeah, let's not forget that solid metal water boiler in my hand luggage (which, technically, was also a piece of cultural heritage).

And you know what they busted me on? A fake bullet on my keychain. :frus: Made me undress and take off my shoes.

Live vaccines? Just sit here for a second while I check... Oh it's not a problem! Poisons and psychotropic drugs? Sure - and I wasn't flyign to or from the Netherlands either. Kitty? Yeah I'll believe you (on the Russian border, then just claim to have nothing to declare on the other border and hope the kitties stay asleep) Scythe? Well sure I understand it was your great-grandmother's and you're very attached to it (it was packed very solidly into cardboard and duct tape though)

Seriously, it shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure you don't catch their attention with anything else like I did with the keychain, cuz it's no fun if you do. Well at least to the airports I've been at. None of which were in the USA.
Also my experience is that provincial airports tend to be more tough than big airports. Maybe cuz they're used to people taking on weird things at big airports, or maybe they're just too busy at big airports.

That's ridiculous!!! I think the security guard just wanted to see you undress!!! A fake bullet?? Even if it were real, what would you fire it with?? :giveup:

BlackManSkating

jazzpants
05-12-2007, 01:06 AM
I pretty much check them in these days with my clothes. Lucky for me, the only place so far I've travelled to is JFK and it's usually doesn't involve "stops." (It's a direct flight.)

I have done carry on when I was flying on Southwest though. Had no problem getting in. (In fact, the boots were covered in blade guards and they though the boots were ROLLER BLADES without the wheels!!! :lol: ) Coming back from ISP though, I was stopped long enough where they did a swap test for explosives. It came out negative and my lovely purple skates was on its way back home with me. :D

jenlyon60
05-12-2007, 05:03 AM
I've flown to/from Atlanta, to/from the UK and to/From Charlotte NC in the post-9/11 era and all 3 times I put my skates in with my normal clothes and what-not. Skates make an excellent place to stuff socks or tights or underwear. I put my double-layer soakers on them and cushion them well in my bag. No problems.

Of course, I hate dealing with heavy or awkward carry-ons and wrestling them in/out of the overhead bins. Especially since I got whacked on the head midflight by a bag that someone was trying to get out from the overhead bin.

Mrs Redboots
05-12-2007, 08:29 AM
I've flown to/from Atlanta, to/from the UK and to/From Charlotte NC in the post-9/11 era and all 3 times I put my skates in with my normal clothes and what-not. Skates make an excellent place to stuff socks or tights or underwear. I put my double-layer soakers on them and cushion them well in my bag. No problems.

I don't think that's the issue so much - I do that too, and it's the one and only time I put my hard guards on my skates, to protect the blade in flight - as whether or not one's bag will travel on the same flight or whether it will go to Vladivostok while you go to Barcelona.

I know that we all say that "Reclaim" is an anagram of "Miracle", but in fact, 99 times out of 100 our cases _do_ travel with us. Some airports have a reputation for not putting your cases on your flight, including O'Hare in Chicago, but when we were there, two years ago, our cases went with us in both directions no problem.

Okay, the 100th time is exactly the one time you can't be doing without your case - but even then, it is very rarely lost forever.

alhrayth
05-13-2007, 03:44 AM
It happened to the Australian Ladies representative at the Torino Olympics in 2006. She arrived and her skates didn't - took them 50 hours to get her skates so while the others in the field had 2 days of practice, she had a matter of hours :(

Actually this is not really true.... Joanne Carter was one of the first skaters to arrive to practice - if I remember correctly, second only to the bulgarian pair of Spassova/Todorov - and she started practicing on the ice well before other Ladies even showed up at the Olympic rinks.
I volunteered there and was there the day Joanne arrived - I went to ask her if she had her music with her and wanted to give it to the music team to be played... and we were all shocked to have a lady there, because it was well before the official opening of the Games (feb 10th), and the first Ladies' event was on the 21st!

Sessy
05-13-2007, 05:36 AM
Friends of ours lost their luggage in Italian airports twice. Took about 2 days to find both times.

I think if you really wanna be safe you'll go 2 days earlyer, but that's extra hotel costs. And leave you might or might not be able to take.

kayskate
05-13-2007, 06:57 AM
In my experience with lost baggage in general, the stuff was delivered to my door within 24 hours, usually quite a bit less time then that.

The best advice when you have to fly to your competition is, make it a vacation and allow a couple days for practicing, relaxing and seeing the area. That way, even if your skates do get lost, the most you may lose is one of your pre-comp practices.

Agree w/ all above. I don't compete and have not traveled w/ ice skates since 9-11. However, I carried on a pair of quad rollers on a flight to Mexico (I am in the US) to use recreationally on the tennis courts before dawn (sneaky, I am!).

I would be upset and worried about my ice skates b/c they are custom and expensive. However, I'd expect them in <24 hrs. So for that time if I wanted to skate, I'd be scr**ed. Actually, I'd just do something else.

Kay

Figureskates
05-13-2007, 08:27 AM
I drove to Lake Placid for Adult Week in August of 2000.

That weekend then Preisdent Clinton was visiting the Lake Placid area. So I walked over the Olymic center with my skates because i had ice. The Secret Service man stopped me at the door and asked me to open my bag, which I did. He took out my skates and asked me what i intended to do with these. I said, "Er, going skating."

I suggested he call his chief since there were going to be more people with ice skates coming to the rink. A couple of minutes later it was all strightened out but boy did I have a million comeback lines...which I didn't use since there are no ice rinks in prison!

Sessy
05-13-2007, 03:37 PM
which I didn't use since there are no ice rinks in prison!

:bow: :bow: :bow:

Though apparently Clinton was kinda laid back about that stuff, not particularly worried anybody might wanna kill him and stuff. One time apparently he nearly got driven over while jogging or something by a guy in a bus who ignored some stop signs cuz he was in a hurry. He had a good laugh about it, although his security people came very close to opening fire on the bus.

peanutskates
05-14-2007, 02:20 AM
this post has got me freaked out... if I get new skates on holiday, the boots at least are coming with me everywhere!!!

Rusty Blades
05-14-2007, 04:13 AM
... the boots at least are coming with me everywhere!!!

Say, now there's a thought, if you don't mind dismounting your blades ;) Blades would be easier replace and you would be more likely to be able to find blades off the shelf in another city. Of course you could buy the blades with removable runners, pack the runners and carry the boots 8-)

Sessy
05-14-2007, 06:51 AM
And blades could be shipped overnight possibly too.

nshereb
05-14-2007, 08:45 PM
The new air regulations just came out, and skaters can now bring their skates on the plane as a carry on item. They consider them a part of the skaters job. ( Just remember to put hard guards on your blades to protect them.)

Virtualsk8r
05-14-2007, 08:56 PM
The new air regulations just came out, and skaters can now bring their skates on the plane as a carry on item. They consider them a part of the skaters job. ( Just remember to put hard guards on your blades to protect them.)

Can you tell me where I can locate an official copy of this change? Airlines tend to doubt a passenger's word on this subject -- and will always make you do it their way unless you have a copy of the official rules. Plus each airline can be different.....ie. Air Canada out of Boston said there was no problem with skates but Air Canada out of Toronto thought we were crazy!