View Full Version : You know you've been skating too long when...

mikawendy
09-18-2002, 01:23 PM
Thought I'd start this thread again (I think I recall one from FSW like this)

You know you've been skating too long when...

...you see a billboard advertising replacement axles and you think for a split-second that the sign is misspelled (...didn't they mean "Axels"...ohhhh.)

MissIndigo
09-18-2002, 02:02 PM
Your friends nickname you "Blade".

You do not save up money for fall clothes. Instead you save up money for that fabulous new competition dress.

Open spaces in rooms, hallways, etc., beckon you to try practicing your axels on the floor (guilty of this at work! Big time!)

You plan your next vacation around your next competition.

You have to go to a national scientific meeting and the thing that excites you the most is that the ice rink is on the roof of the exhibit hall! Who needs to know more about curing cancer anyway?!? :P

Mrs Redboots
09-18-2002, 02:06 PM
Your mother sells some property she had left you in her will, and sends you the money anyway. You say "It will go to finance next year's competitions...."

TashaKat
09-18-2002, 02:23 PM
- You spend more on a new pair of boots (without blades) than you do on a month's mortgage payment
- Your wardrobe is 99% lycra
- You walk round at work in a velvet glitter number with a deep scalloped 'v' back in illusion and the senior consultant doesn't bat an eyelid, just yells at you down the corridor "Hi Lynne"
- You get up before sunrise to go and slide around an oversized ice cube wearing little more than your underwear and boots made of concrete that have the equivalent of kitchen knives attached to them
- You leave the party early (or don't go at all) because you have to get up early
- Your alcohol consumption has decreased enormously because, well, you just can't skate if you've had too much to drink
- When somebody asks you why you won't go out with the guy who has just asked you out your knee-jerk response is "HE CAN'T SKATE" (there was slightly more to it than that but that was my INITIAL statement which has haunted me for years!)
- You willingly wear tan tights
- Ditto a leotard with a chiffon (aka see-through) skirt
- You search the make up counters to get a glitter eyeshadow/lipstick/blush/hair gel
- Sequins suddenly don't seem that tacky after all
- You can spell and pronounce Russian names flawlessly
- You know IMMEDIATELY who someone is talking about when they say "T&D", "A&P" etc!
- You not only KNOW the different makes of skating tights out there you can also classify them by their code numbers!
- When you check out a guy's 'potential' it's as a dance/pairs partner NOT as a boyfriend!

L x

Figureskates
09-18-2002, 04:19 PM
I can relate to some of these comments..

My nickname is toepick....

-you walk around the office in your skates and no one bats an eye...the only question is "how are the new boots breaking in?...

-I have been caught doing salchows and waltz jumps in the cafeteria at 10:30 at night....when I think I was the only one there...

KathySkates
09-18-2002, 07:20 PM
Lynne! We must be twins separated at birth! LOL!

My first coach used to call me "Rocky". LOL Another once referred to me as "Killer".

You know that you have been skating too long when...

1. You have a 102 degree fever with flu and when you coach tells you to go home (yes, you are at the rink) and you reply, " I HAVE to land another double loop...."

2. As a middle school teacher, you help plan outings to the local outdoor rink and proceed to begin USFSA's Basic 1 course with all 150 kids who are just there to act like fools and eat pizza.

3. You are able to understand all the things the Russian coaches are saying about the skating Moms in the lobby.

4. When your Russian dance coach yells at you, you are able to "answer him back fresh" in RUSSIAN!

5. Your friends "from your real life" gave up on you long ago.

6. Your parents are SHOCKED, absolutely SHOCKED to learn that you had TWO parties in your hotel room in Lake Placid. The daughter they know is always in bed by eight or nine and never has people over because she gets up to skate every a.m. at 4.

7. You brag about being able to take your skates on the plane, how little (or how much) you paid for that gorgeous competition dress, how mean your coach is, and winning the ugly scar contest at adult nats even though you didn't make finals in your category!

8. You are demented enough to skate at the Wollman rink in even rain, sleet, hail...

9. You never call in sick at work except for competitions. After all, what is a career but a way to pay for skating.

10. You have so many bruises that your skin begins to look like camoflauge clothing.

11. When your British coach tells you about how his coach used to beat him, you wonder if that will help you with your axel....

jazzpants
09-19-2002, 01:32 AM
Your coworkers were talking about Halloween costumes at the office, they naturally assumed that this year I'll be in my skating costume... (Ummm...okay... maybe I didn't skate enough there...I said I wasn't going to wear a costume for Halloween.) :P

Your non-skating friends ask you "How's your skating?" first before asking how is your hubby?

Boss man knows that NOTHING gets into the way of my skating lessons on Thursdays... (Hey! They go off playing soccer for 2 hours anyway...why can't I???) :P

You came in today at the morning FS to skate...half asleep but you skate anyway... 12 hours later, you show up at the evening session, just to watch other people skate and your coach waves hello to you but with a surprised smile on his face. "Didn't I just saw her this morning and what is she doing here in the evening?" I was eating a Subway sandwich and the place had no tables and I had to eat somewhere before going to the gym nearby... but this brings me to...

You choose a new gym because 1) it has pilates...great for core strength for skating (too bad I can't afford it now...) :( and 2) it's a short walking distance to your home rink!!! :P

You work out so you can continue to physically skate. (Before skating I worked out to look lean and mean... but I'm now overcome sciatica by stay fit enough so that I don't have extra weight to muck with the lower back.)

You have more "Ice Skating" bookmarks for your browser than anything else... COMBINED!!!

The guys at the ticket booth know you...ALL SHIFTS!!!]

When the majority of your clothes is made out of lycra or lycra blend...

You looked forward on your last trip to NYC not just to see the in-laws, but because you want to hit Wollman Rink and Rockefellor Center's rink. And you look forward someday to visiting the in-laws again...because you also look forward to skating at the one rink you haven't skated in NY yet.... (Yeap! I have yet to skate at Chelsea Piers! Next time I go to NYC, I'm going there!!!)

Cheers,
jazzpants

jasmine
09-19-2002, 03:48 AM
When you come into your entrance hall you can barely move for tripping over boot bags, airing skating boots, once-worn skating clothing ready for next skate, skating music and photos in transit to friends etc.

Your major concern when looking for a new job is not the career prospects but how near is the nearest skating rink.

By far the largest section in the Internet bookmarks/favourites area on your computer is skating links (forums, clothing, rinks).

You start costing things in terms of skating lessons (a new sofa, well that's 20 weeks of skating costs ...)

Careygram
09-19-2002, 08:21 AM
You know you've been skating too long when you can go into any rink within a 25 mile radius, close your eyes, sniff and know by the smell exactly which rink you're in. (only works if someone drives you there blindfolded but I still think I could do it)

DC:D

Yazmeen
09-19-2002, 10:30 AM
Every single piece of music you hear, save for maybe the "Beer Barrel Polka" is listened to and analyzed for whether or not it could be skated to (and if you ever do ice dance, maybe that polka...)

Your employees periodically check in to see how your skating is going...

You get excited at the gift shop in the Baltimore Science Center because you find and buy their last copy of the soundtrack from the IMAX film "The Living Seas" because you want the wonderful music by Sting, especially "Fragile" for...guess what!!!!!

Your routine for doing searches on eBay is the following: "Michelle Kwan" "Dorothy Hamill" "Skating Dress" "Ice Skating" "Figure Skating" (You're a doll collector and you've only been in the Barbie section once because the prices are too high---geez, I could buy 10 skating dresses for what one vintage doll costs!!!!)

You get your thirty year old Schwinn bicycle rehabbed (cross-training for skating) and while browsing for bicycle helmets in a Sporting Goods store your eyes are immediately drawn upward, with surprise, to see they have a very low level Reidell for sale there for $49.99...and then you have to remind yourself again that you're there for another reason!!!

You are still skating on too big boots and misaligned blades while you wait for your new Klingbeil's because you can't bear to be off ice for very long, even though your technique is likely to change significantly when the new equipment comes in...

You happily sign on for the Scuba Diving Club's holiday trip to NYC for the Xmas show at Radio City and make plans with hubby and one of his buddies who skates to take your skates (the old ones) on the bus so you can skate at Rockefeller Center JUST ONCE!!!

And Finally, the true sign you are into this too much...

YOU SPEND THE ENTIRE DAY IMPATIENTLY WAITING FOR IT TO END SO YOU CAN RACE HOME TO SEE IF YOUR POSTCARD FROM KLINGBEIL HAS COME IN THE MAIL, INFORMING YOU THAT YOUR NEW BOOTS ARE DONE!!!! AAUUUUGGGHHHH!!!!! Hurry, hurry, I can't wait!!! :lol: :lol:

Giggle,

Beth

Mazurka Girl
09-19-2002, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Yazmeen
You get excited at the gift shop in the Baltimore Science Center because you find and buy their last copy of the soundtrack from the IMAX film "The Living Seas" because you want the wonderful music by Sting, especially "Fragile" for...guess what!!!!!
:D :D You'd be even more excited if you went in the middle of winter when the outdoor ice rink would be open right next to it & you could skate under the harborlights or see the New Year's on ice show!

Mazurka Girl
09-19-2002, 11:28 AM
...you sign up for ice skating for 3 of your PE credits so you can get an easy A (& then hope they have "Advanced Ice Skating 102" for the other 3 you need)

...you can run around the locker room wearing only a liner & tights without blushing :oops: while a team of coaches (male, female or anybody else!) preps you for your event

...you know exactly what brand of marker to buy to get the best drawing results on ice

...your mom can finally write the check for your new skates without tears running down her face & only a mild comment or two about taking some of it out of the weekly grocery money (this is versus screaming & running from the building in previous years)

tidesong
09-19-2002, 12:27 PM
... when the people at the rink counter start asking you, don't you ever go to school?

... when you start twirling around in school and people ask if you are a dancer(well most people didn't know figure skating exists here)

... when your friends says I spent $xxx on that thing and you go oh, that would pay for a pair of skates/ couple of lessons etc...

... when your friends talk about what *they* are going to do after school and they go "are you skating today?"

... when you start getting the weekend blues (instead of monday blues)because (for me) you can't skate on weekends as the rink is too crowded

... a piece of skating music is playing in your head half the time/some nice program

... you dream about doing jumps when you have nothing better to do (like when you're waiting for the bus)

... you start looking at fashion magazines for ideas to transplant onto your skating dresses :) and makeup on every model's face

Chico
09-19-2002, 02:20 PM
This is fun. =-)

1. You know who's skating and coaching by the cars in the parking lot.
2. The zamboni driver, who also opens the rink, knows your bag by sight.
3. Skating friends call home when you don't skate for a few days having worried fits.
4. The dog doesn't think twice when you land your axel in his dog basket. In fact...he seems to know which way to run. =-)
5. You skate SICK or HURT because you need to skate. YOU NEED TO SKATE.
6. Neighbors don't think twice if they see you in skating clothes. (They know you do it, think it's weird, but know better than to say so.)
7. Your the only adult skating AND you don't even notice anymore.
8. Some of your best skating pals are little dudes. You know the ups and downs of their skating, and they know yours.
9. Your husband knows to buy you skating clothes for holidays because you WANT them and don't care a fig about street clothes.
10. You actually skate REALLY early in the summer so you CAN skate. Unbelievable.
11. You fall HARD trying a double toe, and think it's a hoot.

Chico

mikawendy
09-19-2002, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Mazurka Girl
:D :D You'd be even more excited if you went in the middle of winter when the outdoor ice rink would be open right next to it & you could skate under the harborlights or see the New Year's on ice show!

Mazurka Girl--
I love skating on that rink in the winter! It's funny when the wind is blowing and you can just stand there and the wind pushes you along...

The ice there is murder on the blades but I love the wind going through my hair. I'm lucky because I can walk there...:D

flo
09-19-2002, 04:04 PM
I skated the 1999-2000 New Year's show there. It was fun and freezing.

batikat
09-19-2002, 07:10 PM
You go for a walk in winter and look for frozen puddles to practice spins on.

When you go swimming you don't dive into the water - you 'axel' in and once in you practice jump rotations - the extra bouyancy gives you time to get in the right position!

You can use the phrase 'get your skates on' to your kids when you are running late and mean it literally.

There's a 3 year waiting list for a locker at the rink and you are finally the proud owner of one.

During the referees little talk before a competition she offers you a sweetie from the jar on the judges table! (OK, this was after the bit when she say's "any questions?" and I said "Do we get a sweetie after if we are good?")

You want to buy a new turntable because you KNOW you've got some great music to skate to on those old vinyl LP's.

You find yourself on the skate club committee.

Everytime your husband looks to see what you are doing on the computer you are on a skating site.

You take holidays only when the hockey school is on or your coach is away.

You go on a skiing holiday to Canada and take your skates with you all the way from the UK so you can skate on Lake Louise.

jazzpants
09-20-2002, 02:13 AM
More...

When you are listening for music to see whether you can skate to it (and whether or not your coach would approve of the music.)

When your company moves to a new location, you're thrilled... because you're now 5 minutes away from the rink instead of 15 minutes away!!! :D

When others dream about driving a Mercedes, you dream about driving a Zamboni! :P

When you start figuring out cost of major items by the cost of how many skating lessons.

When most of your friends are skaters...

When you spent all of Sat. at ISI Adult Champs in SF as a spectator, Sunday morning at ISI Adult Champs (spectator), Sun mid-morning at St. Moritz in Oakland (about 10 miles away and across the Bay Bridge...as a spectator again), take a short detour after the Adults events to go to Berkeley (to actually be a skater), come back to Oakland to watch the Adults Artistic (darn it!!! I didn't make it on time...spectator again) :( and then go to the gym so you can build up your skating endurance on the elliptical trainer (off ice training.) :P Oh, and when you told your skating coach about this, even HE thought you were NUTS!!! :lol:

When you fall on the ice, you think that you did a good practice. (Of course, this is assuming it was a fall I could recover from easily...)

When your skating coach and another skating buddy gangs up on you to start skating the morning FS session. Seriously, my primary coach says "I'm gonna start taking away your Monday night sessions every other week and force you to start coming Wed. mornings...it will be good for your skating." :roll: (The skating buddy is pleased, of course!)

Cheers,
jazzpants

Mazurka Girl
09-20-2002, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by mikawendy
I love skating on that rink in the winter! It's funny when the wind is blowing and you can just stand there and the wind pushes you along...

:D :D That's one of the best parts! Except it does get freezing cold sometimes. I like that whole hot cider/hot chocolate with friends thing too. Same thing at the rink at the National Gallery.

flo
09-20-2002, 09:21 AM
Your crash pads are now form fitted.

icenut84
09-20-2002, 01:09 PM
You get up early every Saturday morning and travel for an hour just to get to the nearest rink for a couple of hours

Your highest priority when choosing a university is somewhere that has a nearby rink :)

The zamboni guy (resurfacing the ice at the time) clocks you taking off your skates at 4pm one day and shouts "You still here?!" Well, he HAD seen me arrive at 9am... :lol:

Whenever you get a day off for any reason, number one choice of how to spend it is sliding around on a bunch of frozen water.

You get "The Colour of Roses" stuck in your head all day (I was watching a tape of SOI that morning)

When you have to use public transport to get to the rink, you spend two and a half hours travelling. Each way. You spend more time travelling than you spend skating. Yet you still go.

mikawendy
09-20-2002, 01:28 PM
You realize that your skates (first pair ever) are the most expensive footwear that you have ever owned (even more expensive than pointe shoes ordered from Germany and custom-ordered pointe shoes).

(By contrast, the shoes I purchased for my wedding were on deep discount and I paid $17 for them. Who's going to see them under the dress anyway?)

TashaKat
09-21-2002, 04:16 AM
Originally posted by KathySkates
Lynne! We must be twins separated at birth! LOL!

You know that you have been skating too long when...

1. You have a 102 degree fever with flu and when you coach tells you to go home (yes, you are at the rink) and you reply, " I HAVE to land another double loop...."

2. As a middle school teacher, you help plan outings to the local outdoor rink and proceed to begin USFSA's Basic 1 course with all 150 kids who are just there to act like fools and eat pizza.

11. When your British coach tells you about how his coach used to beat him, you wonder if that will help you with your axel....

:D You never know! Twins do 'run' in my family!

Mmmm .... I can relate! I skated with pneumonia (and ended up in hospital 3 hours later :roll: ) and didn't even say anything when I was asked if I was alright!

Hee, hee .... you never know, though, one of those kids could be a future Olympic champion and it will be all down to you!

British coach?? Have I asked you who before?? Not that I know ALL British coaches of course but coming from the UK I know quite a few .... mmmm, guess I could add THAT one to the list as well ;)

- You buy a house on the strength of there being an ice rink 7 minutes (exactly) away by car! (and the damn thing closed down a year after I moved!)

This one is Melanie's, I'm suprised she's not put it here yet!

- You inadvertantly drive to the ice rink and park in the car park before realising that you were ACTUALLY on your way to work!

This is so cool :) I needed cheering up :D

L x

TashaKat
09-21-2002, 04:16 AM
Sorry! Don't know how I managed to post that twice!!! 8O ..... stress ;)

pattern99
09-21-2002, 09:14 PM
Your know you've been skating too long when...

- You judge how old a song is, by what jumps you were landing and what rink you were skating at, at the time. (Guilty.)

-When you tie your sneakers (and hockey skates) like figure skates!!

- When you go sliding down the halls at school after the floors have been freshly waxed! (MUAHHAHAHHA!)

- Spend all spare time thinking about what mean, awful pranks you could pull on your coach!! :lol: (scotch tape on blades was my fav!! Never actually did it tho...only fake bugs in his lunch box...)

- you know how each and every one of your coaches like their coffee.... ( black or two equals, lots of cream...) :D (Yep, love y too N.R!!!)

- When you live in Miami (guilty ) and wish that every winter the pool could freeze over.

- When you use skating "lingo" in the 'outside world'

- When you hem your pants to fit your boots, so they don't drag on your blades.... lol

- The only guys you "look" at are of the skating variety!! (must be the butts!! :P )

hmmm...I'll think of some better ones...

oh yeah, here's a quick one..

- When you refer to your skates as "My favorite sneakers!!"

-When your best bud gives you a birthday card with edited pics of your coach on it.. (u kno... add a bikini and some make up to your male coach... good for a laugh that last years!!!)

that's all for now folks...
*patt99*
aka> tHe SaUnA KuEeN

mikawendy
09-22-2002, 10:26 AM
--You log on to skating web sites before you go to skating practice (to get technique tips)

--You plan a pregnancy AROUND the skating season (I don't have children yet, but I thought, there must be someone out there who's done this....);)

CanAmSk8ter
09-22-2002, 06:54 PM
*You're planning to play sick so you can go on vacation the week AFTER spring break and go to Worlds

*Your high school boyfriend's car was worth less than your skates (true)

*Your best guy friend doesn't make jokes about male skaters being gay- because he's a skater too (and he's not gay)

*you're 21 years old and your idea of staying up late is 9:30. Your idea of sleeping late is 7:30. A normal day/night involves lights out at 9 and alarm clock at 4:40.

*You're working up the nerve to ask your French professor if she knows a whole bunch of skating terms in French, because that's what you really need to know.

*When someone asks you who your dream guy is, you name any one of several hot male skaters- and no one knows who you're talking about

Mrs Redboots
09-23-2002, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by CanAmSkater:
You're working up the nerve to ask your French professor if she knows a whole bunch of skating terms in French, because that's what you really need to know.I know quite a lot, having been on training camps in both France and Germany. Might it be worth a thread on its own?

garyc254
09-24-2002, 01:22 PM
...when the standard equipment you carry in your car trunk year round is a tool box, jumper cables, skate bag, jacket, and sweatshirt.

...when the only thing you want for your birthday is new Bunga sleeves.

...when your cell phone speed dial list includes phone numbers for all of the local rinks, your coach's home, cell, and work numbers, and assorted skating friends' numbers.

...when you show up at the evening skate session an hour early so you can help the "Learn to Skate" kids get their skates laced and get them on the ice on time.

mikawendy
10-01-2002, 02:51 PM
Oh... I forgot one more....

... when you sign up for skating lessons even though the last lesson (the test) of the series is the day you're getting married (the skating director is letting me test during the other day that they hold group lessons at my rink) and you're already driven to distraction as it is...

:D

singerskates
10-01-2002, 03:26 PM
You know you've been skating too much when you are mad as hell that you have to have surgery because it will mess up skating and the first person you have to go whine about it to is your coach. You drive straight over to your coaches house to tell her the bad news. You're not so worried about what will happen during seurgery but about how long it will be before you can get back on the ice. And you only think about how will I get through not skating until recovered.

You plan on skating right up to the day before surgery and are already thinking of how to heal up faster to get back on the ice faster.

Just a little addicted, you think?

You're coach has to talk to ya to get your priorities straight. Because skating is to you so big a part of your life. You work to skate so you can compete.

You skate in abdonminal pain for over a year until you can't do a decent spiral anymore and then finally go to the doc, get an ultra sound, find out you probably have an ovarian cist which will be removed on Friday.

You pick the earliest date availiable for surgery so that it doesn't mess up your competitive skating season. Want to be strong and ready to jump for competition. Don't want to put it off and drag into competition season. Didn't think about the family or my health but how I wanted the pain to stop so I can skate like I know I can.

This is no laugh, it's the honest truth.

Anyway, even though I thought about the skating, I did make the correct choice for my family and my health too. Turns out it all works out.

Another one, skating right up to the last session before the surgery.

While crying about my medical problem to my friends, I stop half way through to ask them if they are intested in going to the Sk8 With Elvis Tour that will stop in London, ON on Sat., Nov. 16th, 2002. Working on group tickets.

OK, got to get something to eat so I can skate tonight. God Bless everyone and may God hold you up on and off of your edges.

Love,

Brigitte a.k.a. singerskates

jazzpants
10-02-2002, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by garyc254
...when your cell phone speed dial list includes phone numbers for all of the local rinks, your coach's home, cell, and work numbers, and assorted skating friends' numbers.

Oh, I am so guilty of this!!! :D

When you name your new office laptop "Salchow." (I'm serious about this!!!) :P

Cheers,
Joanna

Mrs Redboots
10-03-2002, 10:27 AM
When you have lace bite - from your brogues!