View Full Version : First Separate Boots and Blades

Caris
05-08-2007, 05:29 PM
Hi all

I am new to the forum and this is my first post, i have to admit to lurking for a little while!

I'm a new adult skater, I've done about 15 hours on the ice so far and made it up to Skate UK level 10, and am doing all the bronze and silver uK passport skills after my lesson.

It's time for new boots I think. I have Risport RF4's and like them a lot, but am going to go up to an RF3.

I've found the boots online for about £90 for little feet people like me, my problem is I don't know anything about blades, not a thing!

I had blades attached to my RF4's, which have three marking on them, one saying ultima, one saying MARK IV, and one saying 92/3. I have no idea what any of this means, but I know I have been happy on these blades and would like something similar if possible.

The blades I've seen so far are about £80 and going up from there. My RF4's with blades only cost that in total so I was a bit shocked!

Can anyone advise as to what I should be choosing, and the sort of cost. I'm skating as a hobby I've really started to enjoy, but am progressing quickly. That said, I'm not ready to spend a fortune on blades when I'm very much a beginner.

Many thanks everyone :D

techskater
05-08-2007, 08:09 PM
What skills are you working on specifically? (sorry, not conversant with the UK system) So, what jumps/spins? Generally, I would suggest a multipurpose/beginner FS blade for 15 hours such as a Coronation Ace or MK Pro.
The number is the blade length on it. 9 2/3

peanutskates
05-09-2007, 01:28 AM
heya, I'm doing the bronze/silver/gold system too. My coach recommended Risport RF3 with Coronation Ace blades. I'm getting them in 2 or 3 weeks' time.

jumps and spins:
Bronze - 2 foot spin, Waltz jump
Silver - Salchow, toeloop, one foot spin (forward)

and don't know about Gold yet.

Sessy
05-09-2007, 04:48 AM
Risport Etoile (like mine) and risport RF4 usually come pre-mounted with mk21 blades, although you can get rf4 pre-mounted with a higher grade blade for extra pay. I had mk21 mounted on my risport etoile.

Then I bent my mk21 blades and so I had Coronation Ace blades (about 140 euro's - 160$ or so) mounted. The switch was very easy (I spent about an hour practicing all sorts of 3-turns and then I could do anything on them again except the edge jumps, which took another 2 hours), and they're exceptionally good blades. They'll also go for all the singles and - so I've been told - doubles too as far as jumps are concerned, and any spins you might wanna do.
They are less maneuverable than mk21 though, so they're probably not the right choice for dance.

I've got to say though, girls at our rink usually take risport rf2 over risport rf3 because they feel those are more comfortable.

Caris
05-09-2007, 08:14 AM
Thanks everyone,

I think I'm at the same point as you pretty much Peanut skates. I have my waltz jump and salchow, and did three rotations in a one footed spin at my last session. I haven't tried a toeloop yet though.

I found this on the net saying what the requirements are for gold, not sure if it's up to date though.

1. Backward outside One-foot spin (min 1 revoltion)
2. One foot spin (with correct entry and exit, min 4 revolutions)
3. Single toe-loop jump
4. Combination of skating movements, turns, jumps and spins in a short routine with or without music, max 1 min 30 seconds.

I was thinking of the RF3's, but perhaps I'll go stright to RF2 on your advice Sessy. Mind you they are £155 as opposed to £99 for the RF3. Ooooooo this new hobby is sooooooooo expensive! The coronation Ace blades are £83 which is taking my new boots and blades cost up to a possible £238 aaarrrgh!

flo
05-09-2007, 08:21 AM
I had coronation comets from near the beginning to all my singles. Also, if it gets too expensive, you may be able to get a decent used blade with life left on it.

Mrs Redboots
05-09-2007, 09:22 AM
I was thinking of the RF3's, but perhaps I'll go stright to RF2 on your advice Sessy. Mind you they are £155 as opposed to £99 for the RF3. Ooooooo this new hobby is sooooooooo expensive! The coronation Ace blades are £83 which is taking my new boots and blades cost up to a possible £238 aaarrrgh!

Horribly expensive, but oh, so worth it! Definitely go for Coronation Ace blades - they really are a good all-round blade, and I'm sure your instructor would recommend them.

Which rink are you skating at? And congratulations on making it to SkateUk Level 10 - I bet not many of those who started with you at Level 1 are still skating!

Caris
05-09-2007, 09:48 AM
Hehehehehe no they're not, infact I can only think of one person who started the same course as me that has kept going, and that's only two courses worth so there has been a high drop out rate. I think a lot of people just want to get a bit of confidence on the ice then leave it. Either that or they just find it too terrifying to continue!

I think I'll start putting a little money away where I can and get saving for these new boots and blades then. I guess the best way to look at it is that I probably won't have to replace them for years so in the long run it's worth it!

Sessy
05-10-2007, 05:25 AM
Oh yeah also I've done the lutz in the etoiles. Even a pretty decent axel attempt. But now they're really totally broken down and I'm gonna go to the skate shop in a few weeks (once I get my paycheck) to order something jackson ish.