View Full Version : GRRR! Mohawk-back three - loop jump

miraclegro
05-08-2007, 04:43 PM
Okay, well, i am just about to scream. I have these mohawk-back threes (2 of them) and then a set up into a loop jump in my program. I have had many people try to help me and i do them better on the circle than on the end of the rink where they are in the program. I was told today that a lot of my problem is i am pre-rotating my shoulders. I don't think i am, but i am. So i at least temporarily corrected that.

Any tips? Also, i'd love to see a video with someone doing them (not too fast so i can analyze). Any tips or HELP would ba appreciated. I only have about a month before i perform this mess.

Thanks

doubletoe
05-08-2007, 05:53 PM
It's hard to see what you're doing without a video, but I think the main trick on these is to hold each edge one at a time and think of each edge as being completely separate from the one before it and the one after it. So think, RFI edge, LBI edge, RBO edge-turn, RFI edge-hold, LBI edge, RBO edge-curl-jump. If I have this move a little wrong, I apologize, but you get the idea.
I know it sounds simplistic, but thinking this way gives me an automatic check and really helps me do my back power 3-mohawks (Intermediate MIF) without spinning off into space!

flo
05-09-2007, 08:26 AM
Take your time on it and elongate the edges when you practice.

southernsk8er
05-09-2007, 09:16 AM
i do a mohawk-back 3-mohawk-loop and could try to get a video tomorrow night if you think it would help. someone else might beat me to it. i'm betting a lot of the problem is the shoulders, because you have to keep a strong check with your right shoulder back and left arm in front the whole time. when i started learning i would hold the check while turning but then swing my arms around right before trying to jump (doesn't work!). i agree with the previous two posters - take your time on the edges and don't rush. keep your right shoulder back and left arm in front until you spring into the loop.

Mrs Redboots
05-09-2007, 09:33 AM
Those are part of our Skating Moves test - level 4, I think - so maybe someone has put a video on YouTube? Can't find one, but then, I never can find anything on YouTube!

chowskates
05-09-2007, 01:05 PM
i do a mohawk-back 3-mohawk-loop and could try to get a video tomorrow night if you think it would help. someone else might beat me to it.

LOL, I tried it...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYkICSmLT44

Really, as others have said, take your time on each edge, and stretch it out. :P

Cheers,
Chow

CaraSkates
05-09-2007, 05:28 PM
Well I was all inspired as this is one of my favorite ways to do loop jumps so I took the camera to skating today. Left the battery at home charging.:frus: Duh! I stuck together four clips of me doing back 3, mohawk, loop jump from past competitions and made a youtube video. Hope this helps you! I also like to do an entire circle of RBO3s (I usually use the center circle for this) and then do a loop out of them. RBO3s are my very favorite turn!! My coach always tells me to make the 3 a "big fat 3turn" and then jump. Also, practicing loops out of mohawks helps. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adZTcAdSWwQ
just looked at the video - sorry the quality is very bad!! I'll try again tonight!

miraclegro
05-10-2007, 06:17 AM
Thanks for the video, i think i am doing that, but i think my arms are the main problem. Is it mohawk-back three, andTHEN the arms rotate(check)?

CaraSkates
05-10-2007, 08:18 AM
Thanks for the video, i think i am doing that, but i think my arms are the main problem. Is it mohawk-back three, andTHEN the arms rotate(check)?

Presuming you skate CCW, this is what I do. RA-right arm, LA-left arm. RFI mohawk with RA in front, switching to LA after the change/turn. RBO3 with LA in front and RA out to side (check position). As I am on the RFI edge preparing for the 2nd mohawk I switch my arms to a check position with RA in front. RFI mohawk, arms switch to LA in front, RA out to side. I do a deep knee bend here and since the video, my coach switched my arm pull to be a scoop ending up with arms bent, elbows down in front of me. This is for all my jumps down and to work on arm pull for axel and doubles. After I land the loop my arms go back out to LA in front, RA out to side in check position.
clear as mud?

doubletoe
05-10-2007, 02:12 PM

Except when you are entering the RFI mohawk, the right shoulder should be pulled back the entire time to keep you from over-rotating.

southernsk8er
05-11-2007, 09:50 AM
Very nice video, Chowskates!!

chowskates
05-12-2007, 03:28 AM
Very nice video, Chowskates!!

Thanks, southern...

Re your signature about dress sparkling, the last time I washed my sparkling dress, it got all my laundry sparkling... my DH wasn't as thrilled that his shirts came out sparkly - I wonder why! :roll:

jazzpants
05-12-2007, 11:09 AM
Re your signature about dress sparkling, the last time I washed my sparkling dress, it got all my laundry sparkling... my DH wasn't as thrilled that his shirts came out sparkly - I wonder why! :roll:
Pardon me for this but....LMAO!!! http://www.cosgan.de/images/kao/frech/a055.gif (I remember your husband well enough to know he's NOT the sparkly shirt type...)

Mrs Redboots
05-13-2007, 06:41 AM
Pardon me for this but....LMAO!!! http://www.cosgan.de/images/kao/frech/a055.gif (I remember your husband well enough to know he's NOT the sparkly shirt type...)

Very definitely not! I roared at the thought, too. :lol: :lol: :lol:

southernsk8er
05-14-2007, 10:38 AM
Thanks, southern...

LOL! My boyfriend would not appreciate that, either. Silly boys, they just don't understand what sparkles can do for a person! :)

southernsk8er
05-14-2007, 10:41 AM
accidentally changed the subject - sorry!

Mrs Redboots
05-14-2007, 11:36 AM
LOL! My boyfriend would not appreciate that, either. Silly boys, they just don't understand what sparkles can do for a person! :)

There are some who will submit tamely to having glitter put on their bald patches at the Mountain Cup, and others who do not.... Not that Chow's husband is bald - but then, he's not a skater, either!