View Full Version : any thoughts on plyometrics?

peanutskates
05-08-2007, 01:31 PM
I'm now going to incorporate plyometrics into my off ice conditioning. (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plyometrics)

If anyone has any thoughts they'd like to share on plyometrics, please post them here.

Lenny2
05-08-2007, 02:45 PM
My skater has been attending an off-ice program that uses plyometrics extensively and it has made a huge difference in her jump height. However, it is difficult to train plyometrics safely and effectively by yourself. I recommend seeking a professional trainer before attempting this on your own.

SynchroSk8r114
05-09-2007, 07:12 PM
Great exercises, but it can get very tiring for a beginner. Trust me, you'll definitely be sore following your first few workouts. I skate every day in the summer for at least two hours and last year did a plyometrics class at my rink with a personal trainer. Agh! Talk about exhausting. It really helped in the end, but you need to be able to just push through it all!

TreSk8sAZ
05-09-2007, 09:33 PM
I love plyo. I did it all the time in track (I was a high jumper and triple jumper). It really will help with conditioning and muscle tone, as well as jump height.

HOWEVER, like someone else said, it can be very dangerous without supervision. Also, you need to learn how to hold your body and which muscles to use on each exercise -- they may not be the muscles you think they are.