View Full Version : Lighter boots and blades?

sexyskates
05-07-2007, 10:06 PM
I've had my old Klingbeils for 9 years now (retongued, resoled, restuffed once), and I find myself tying them tighter and tighter. So I guess it's time for new boots. I heard that they are making lighter boots now, which will help me get my spiral higher. I have been on heavy Gold Seal blades (these skates weigh a ton), and was wondering if anyone has comments about these blades or blades he or she loves that may be lighter. I am an adult competitive Silver freestyle skater under 5'5" and slim body build. Any recommendations?

mdvask8r
05-07-2007, 10:29 PM
Hey Sexyskates!
I got my second pair of Klings earlier this year. They are very noticably lighter than my first pair. When I went in to pick them up Don was very excited to have me compare the new to the old. -- I love them even more than my old Klings.
I don't know about the Gold Seal blades - I skate on Pattern 99s. If you are looking for a lighter blade you might like the Paramounts. I know a LOT of skaters, including my coach, who are very happy with them.

Mrs Redboots
05-08-2007, 09:39 AM
I was going to say Paramounts, too. The people I know who skate on them like them; the only thing I've heard against them is that they can be hard to sharpen, so check with whoever does your blades before shelling out! Against that, I believe they don't need sharpening as often.

Coldfete
05-08-2007, 10:43 AM
As a novice I am interested in lighter weight skates for recreational skating because, at 5lbs 10 ozs, I find my Risport RF4 (size 9) far too heavy . My objective is to find new skates which are substantially lighter and priced below £115. Any ideas anyone?

blackmanskating
05-08-2007, 01:23 PM
I got Jackson Elite Plus with Gold Seals. My boots weight 6 pounds a piece. I think Paramount blades look cool, but I need a personal opinion from someone before I shell out bank to try them out. Have any of you had personal experience with these blades?

BlackManSkating

Isk8NYC
05-08-2007, 01:24 PM
I had weighed my old Klingbeil-and-Gold Seals against my new ones and they were several ounces lighter. (Yes, I am a geek.) It's the innards of the skates - now they use a memory foam instead of the old padding.

The Gold Seals are still heavy because of the solid sole plate.
If you decide to change blades, just be alert to the change (if any) in rocker size. Gold Seals have 8' rockers.

SynchroSk8r114
05-08-2007, 01:24 PM
My new custom lightweight Harlicks just came in, and I can't wait to try them out. Does anyone have any experience with these boots? Are they any lighter than the old custom Harlicks?

sexyskates
05-09-2007, 06:30 PM
The new light Paramount blades look interesting. There is a competitive senior ladies teen at my rink who loves hers because they are so light. I know there is a problem with having them sharpened. Any opinions out there?

Mrs Redboots
05-10-2007, 05:12 AM
The new light Paramount blades look interesting. There is a competitive senior ladies teen at my rink who loves hers because they are so light. I know there is a problem with having them sharpened. Any opinions out there?
Not personal experience, but our best male figure skater, who hopes to qualify for the British Junior championships wears them, as does his sister, and they seem to like them very much.