View Full Version : What does your Skating Club do for an annual Show or Competition?

FSWer
05-07-2007, 09:14 PM
Say,what does your Skating Club (Rink) do for an annual Show or Competition? Please include Show or Competition name. Also if you have a role you do all the time,please say what it is.

WannabeS8r
05-07-2007, 09:56 PM
I believe the rink I skate at, Ice Vault, is hosting the Garden State Games (http://www.northjerseyfsc.org/) on June 30 and July 1, 2007. However, I am not entering that competition because I am leaving for vacation a little while before that... :cry:

jskater49
05-08-2007, 04:11 AM
We put on an Annual Spring Show and it is quite a production - we rent a truckload of spotlights - we own curtains...it's quite the deal.

We run the figure skating event for the Iowa Summer State Games in July and put on a larger competition in November - THe Cyclone Country Championships. My favorite job is to run the registration desk. My least favorite is playing the music!

j

Skittl1321
05-08-2007, 07:00 AM
Our club used to host a competition each year, but did not last year because of rink issues (were are an ISI club and both of the rinks we use now have USFSA clubs).

We just finished our spring show this year. It was called "Magic On Ice" and the original idea was for each skater to perform a magic-themed number, but in the end it was changed so just the opening and closing were themed.

It's more of a recital, than a show- with each club member eligible to perform a freestyle and a spotlight number, and up to 2 group numbers. Most people did not do all this! I, for example, performed only 1- and a lot of the little kids did their spotlight and group numbers.

The opening and closing routines were very simple, and people from both rinks were able to participate in them (I don't know how practices worked- as the rinks are 100 miles apart and I know they didn't get together- I wasn't in it).

There was no cost to participate but a $100 fee was threatened if we did not stay to participate in the Boys and Girls club skate afterwards (as we had a sponsor working with this organization and many kids attended the show)

BatikatII
05-08-2007, 08:22 AM
Our club hosts an annual kids opens usually in April and an adults opens usually in June.

We try to have a gala sometime in the summer and we have an annual pantomime in December. The pantomime is a big show with 6 or 7 performances based on traditional British pantomimes (eg,Cinderella, Aladdin , this year Peter Pan - the non-Brits are probably not very familiar with the panto format)

There are various group numbers woven into the story and some principal roles filled by coaches and higher level skaters. Usually includes some comedy and has goodies and baddies. Adults are invariably some permutation of 'villagers' (though we were playing cards in 'Alice in wonderland') and are hopng to be Pirates this year Yay!:lol:

blue111moon
05-08-2007, 08:26 AM
My club hosts a three-day Open Competition in onjunction with a Basic Skills Competition in April and a small members-only exhibition in May.

Mrs Redboots
05-08-2007, 09:58 AM
We have the Winter Festival and the Lambeth Festival, both of which are club competitions, as well as several hop, step and jump competitions during the year.

Most years we also organise the Streatham Open Festival, but that didn't happen last year and won't be happening this year due to lack of volunteers.

jskater49
05-08-2007, 10:06 AM
We also put on a less formal holiday gala, and anyone who pays their $15 can do a solo to holiday music. I'm going to skate to "It's a Marshmellow World" - yes I've already started working on it.

j

flying~camel
05-08-2007, 10:14 AM
We do a Christmas exhibition a couple of weeks before Christmas. It's nothing special - just a bunch of short group numbers.

At the end of April, we do a spring ice show - this year, the theme was "Around the World." I didn't skate in it this year since it was the week after ANs and I was pooped!

At the end of June, we have our annual competition - the Grand Rapids Open. I'll be skating in 2 events this year - Adult Showcase & Adult Bronze freestyle.

At the end of summer, we usually also have a 1-day Kathy Casey clinic.

Bill_S
05-08-2007, 10:25 AM
We host a Holiday Show near Christmas, conduct a low-level competition in February or early March, and a show at the end of the season in early April.

I take photos to sell to the families in order to raise money for the club. For the season-ending show, I also take posed pictures of all the participants using studio lighting. In some of the posed pictures, I do extensive retouching (slimming, blemish removal, etc). I donate all proceeds from all photo sales to the club.

Samples here: http://www.shutterfly.com/pro/WSchneider/skatecomp07

Mel On Ice
05-08-2007, 11:08 AM
the Christmas show is just The Christmas Show. It's a mix of singles exhibitions, group numbers and learn to skate production all set to holiday music. This past season the adults did Rudolph as sung by The Crystals, an old girl group. The year before we did the Jingle Bell Cha-Cha, the first adult number at our club.

The spring show varies in theme from year to year. This year it was "Around the World" (my pairs partner and I did our Romeo and Juliet parody as "Italy"); last year was Fantasy on Ice (a lot of Disney but we couldn't officially say that) and the year before was Broadway on Ice (no adult numbers).

My old club in St. Peters did it a bit differently for the Christmas show, they allocated x number of spots at various levels and it was first come, first served. When it got a bit repetitive (same people always registered first), the skating director stepped in to rotate soloists. Christmas show was just The Christmas Show, and included soloists, group numbers, and synchro.

The spring show was a bit different, you signed up for spring show "class", and worked with a coach/choreographer to learn your production number and certain skaters were asked to do solos from those that signed up. Themes varied, same as GGR - Broadway, Skating Through the Ages, Stories on Ice, School of Rock.