View Full Version : Double waltz jump?

FallDownGoBoom
05-07-2007, 08:44 PM
Now that I'm all Little Miss Fancypants Waltz Jump, I'm wondering:

A) Could you (well, not necessarily you personally,* but some skater, somewhere, in a rink that may or may not be near you) do a double waltz?

B) How weird would you/it look?

C) Would you want to advertise, "Hey, watch me do a double waltz!" or is it something you'd uncork when the only people sharing the ice -- and I mean sharing in the broadest sense of the word, as in "Not actually skating or doing anything remotely resembling, but more like lying there drooling and, God help me, making snow angels in the lutz corner -- are a pack of 8-year-olds wearing woefully oversized T-shirts that say, in various shades of glitter pen and pizza sauce: "Riley's 9th Birthday"?

*unless, of course, you, dear reader, have done/could do a double waltz jump, if a double waltz jump were called for, and then I simply MUST hear all about it. So hurry.

itfigures
05-07-2007, 09:18 PM
I don't understand when you say a double waltz.
♥If you mean a double waltz like a "double toe-loop" than there is no such thing.
♥If you mean a double waltz by a waltz, land, waltz, than yes you could do that. The only other waltz like jump is the axle but thats sort of (not really) like three waltz jumps put together.
♥Don't be worried about what other people think if you were to try a new jump. Everyone is there to learn and practice new skills. And if you were doing something wrong hopefully someone in the rink who is experienced would tell you what you are doing wrong.

Good luck!
:D

Clarice
05-07-2007, 09:29 PM
You can do any number of waltz jumps one after the other in a series, and no, it's not really any big deal. I regularly have to do 4 in a row as part of an exercise. There's no such thing as a "double waltz jump", in the same sense as the other double jumps. A waltz jump is a half-rotation jump that takes off forward and lands backward. An axel is a one-and-a-half rotation jump that takes off forward and lands backward. Lots of people can do axels, but when you land your first one, everyone will be happy to help you celebrate! If you were to do a one-rotation jump that took off forward, it would also land forward. My coach calls that a "half axel", and we do it only as an exercise on the way to learning a fully rotated axel.

dbny
05-07-2007, 09:42 PM
If you were to do a one-rotation jump that took off forward, it would also land forward. My coach calls that a "half axel", and we do it only as an exercise on the way to learning a fully rotated axel.

It's also called a bell jump, and is landed somewhat two footed.

itfigures
05-07-2007, 09:43 PM
The only other thing is don't try an axle/half axle/bell jump until you have learned all of you single jumps, and your coach has helped you. I had my coach teach the axle to me and I still make mistakes which leave major bruises. I haven't landed my axle perfectly yet and have now learned almost all of my doubles. :cry:
Don't give up!

Sk8pdx
05-07-2007, 09:45 PM
Hi Falldown, I am glad to hear you are catching some air!!! :) I don't think one would really have to draw attention to themselves saying "Hey everybody! watch me do 'this'!" Just having fun and doing it will draw enough of an audience. My experience is just to goof off a little, have fun with waltz jumps, try waltz jump-tap toes. I sometimes warm up with 3 waltz jumps in a row. (the first one isn't usually my best one but by the 3rd one, I begin to feel it was a half-way decent one with all the momentum going. *giggle*).

Although, I have on some occasions approached some of my younger skating buddies during my club skating sessions and asked for a little critique/observation or two. Since we don't skate in front of mirrors, I use them as some of my "reflections". They have told me that my Ina Bauer is pretty cool. :P

~sk8pdx:)

FallDownGoBoom
05-07-2007, 09:51 PM
I'm not actually interested in doing one, although I'll admit it's a fine line between curious and deluded.

I'm wondering why a double waltz jump -- double rotation, that is -- doesn't seem to exist. I mean, is it impossible from a physics standpoint? Would you have to be airborne for, like, 10 seconds?

I'm thinking that with a good deal of speed (and let's face it: a double Scotch, neat, so it doesn't get diluted) it could be done. But what do I know.

Memo to you folks with this "Why, I do four waltzes in a row!" business. Ugh, OK? U.G.H. (Jealous? Me? Not in the least. Snort.)

"Deluded" and "diluted" in the same post. Go, me, go.

slusher
05-07-2007, 10:12 PM

Landed on my face. Some brilliant idea that was on the way to learning an axel. I decided at that moment, spitting snow and snot out of my face that a half-axel was stupid and a whole axel was even stupider if that was the process. I like the idea of calling it a double waltz.

A axel without wrapping, ie like a waltz with the legs all out there, it reminds me of the russian split-flip jump that I've seen done- rarely.

Double walley anyone?

dbny
05-07-2007, 10:15 PM
I'm not actually interested in doing one, although I'll admit it's a fine line between curious and deluded.

I'm wondering why a double waltz jump -- double rotation, that is -- doesn't seem to exist. I mean, is it impossible from a physics standpoint? Would you have to be airborne for, like, 10 seconds?

Your problem here may be terminology. A waltz jump, as Clarice said earlier, is 1/2 revolution. When you double that, you get a single revolution jump. The term "double" does not necessarily mean two revolutions, it means twice the number of revolutions in the simplest version of the jump. Single loops, Salchows, Lutzes, toe loops, and flips are all full revolution jumps, so the double version is two revolutions. The exception is the Axel which is 1.5 revolutions, the double being 2.5 revs.

dbny
05-07-2007, 10:18 PM
Landed on my face. Some brilliant idea that was on the way to learning an axel. I decided at that moment, spitting snow and snot out of my face that a half-axel was stupid and a whole axel was even stupider if that was the process. I like the idea of calling it a double waltz.

A axel without wrapping, ie like a waltz with the legs all out there, it reminds me of the russian split-flip jump that I've seen done- rarely.

Ouch! You can do that just as well on a waltz jump. Older DD has three stitches under her chin from missing the landing on a warm-up waltz.

Joseph Sabovcik does one, and there is a name for it that I can't think of at the moment.

AshBugg44
05-07-2007, 10:22 PM
So if you were to try and do a true "double waltz jump" you would land forwards. Awkward.

dbny
05-07-2007, 11:11 PM
So if you were to try and do a true "double waltz jump" you would land forwards. Awkward.

Or not, if you do it right. It's what Clarice and I were talking about earlier: a half Axel or bell jump.

A waltz jump is a half-rotation jump that takes off forward and lands backward. If you were to do a one-rotation jump that took off forward, it would also land forward. My coach calls that a "half axel", and we do it only as an exercise on the way to learning a fully rotated axel.

AshBugg44
05-07-2007, 11:43 PM
Yeah I know, but just pointing out that if you really tried a true double waltz jump, hence landing it one foot, it would be completely weird.

Mrs Redboots
05-08-2007, 09:40 AM
I remember when one friend of mine felt confident with her waltz jump, and she said proudly "I now have 1/3 of an axel!"

At that, so do I!

Mel On Ice
05-08-2007, 10:56 AM
so I can tell my coach in axel clinic practice that while my axel sucks, my double waltz jump is overrotated by 1/8? :lol:

FrankR
05-08-2007, 11:07 AM
Yeah I know, but just pointing out that if you really tried a true double waltz jump, hence landing it one foot, it would be completely weird.

It would be odd but believe it or not, I think this girl at my rink is inadvertently doing this. She's pretty young (eight or nine years old, maybe) and has a double sal and a double toe but she struggles with the axel. She takes off forward on her axel but ends up way over-rotating to the extent that she's doing two complete revolutions in the air. However, she also has a bit of a lean in the air. She tends to lean back a little in the air. So what happens is she goes up, rotates twice, lands on one foot facing forward but traveling back in the direction she started in. It's the oddest thing I've ever seen but it actually looks kind of cool when she does it. It's also shocking because she's about eight or nine and is already (albeit unknowingly) pretty darn close to rotating enough for a double axel.

Petlover
05-08-2007, 11:14 AM
Ouch! You can do that just as well on a waltz jump. Older DD has three stitches under her chin from missing the landing on a warm-up waltz.

Joseph Sabovcik does one, and there is a name for it that I can't think of at the moment.

I think I heard a commentator refer to Joseph Sabovcik's jump as a tuck axel.

doubletoe
05-08-2007, 11:53 AM
If "double" means 2x the number of revolutions, then a "double waltz jump" would be a 1-revolution jump taking off and landing forwards. It exists, and it is usually called a "half axel." You take off forwards from your left foot like a waltz jump, do 1 revolution, land forwards on the right toe and push out onto a left forward edge.

If "double" means the base jump + 1 revolution, then a "double waltz jump" would be an axel, which is a 1.5 revolution jump taking off forwards and landing backwards.

Sessy
05-09-2007, 04:56 AM

Really? LOL! i've been landing them 1-footed on the back of my blade for ages. :lol: