View Full Version : can someone please explain...

peanutskates
05-07-2007, 12:39 PM
back inside/outside 3's
outside mohawks

and what level requires them here in the UK?
it's just that after all the work I needed for my forward 3's and the inside mohawks, I need to start work on the above now, so i have some sort of chance to get them in lessons. whenever that will be...
thanks

Mrs Redboots
05-08-2007, 09:37 AM
Well, I'm only just starting work on back outside and inside 3s for the new Level 3 Bronze Skating moves, which require all 8 3-turns.

Outside Mohawks aren't wanted until Level 4 Silver, I think - or, if you do dance (and you have some great dance coaches at Chelmsford Riverside!), not until you reach the Foxtrot and 14-step.

For back 3-turns, you turn them exactly the same way as forward 3-turns - checking with your shoulders and rising up in the knee to cause the turn. Difference is - and this is the bit I struggle with - you need to have your weight on the back of your blades in order to glide out of the turn. I can turn the ruddy things now, but can't glide out of them.

Outside Mohawks are, or can be, fairly evil, too. Again, it's all in the shoulders and where your weight is. It's basically a turn from a forward outside edge to a back outside edge on the other foot - think of it like that and it shouldn't be too hard to get.

peanutskates
05-08-2007, 10:42 AM
thanks :) mrs redboots, you are like my goldmine of information about uk skating :lol:

though I'm not interested in dance, I'm curious as to which coaches are the good dance ones, and how do you know?;)

BTW, level 3 bronze, is that level 3 on the 1-10 scale after bronze/silver/gold? (my god the people who made these grades are confusing!!!)

Mrs Redboots
05-08-2007, 04:11 PM
Yes, Level 3 Bronze is the NISA test - the one you take formally, with a judge and just you on the ice, rather than informally with a coach.

I don't want to name names on a public forum, but I know an awful lot of dancers from Chelmsford - last summer they outskated everybody else in the recreational ice dance league! And I know quite a lot of the competitive adult skaters, and the coach, from the Mountain Cup and similar events.

Skittl1321
05-08-2007, 04:37 PM
To me the biggest thing about backward 3s was to get the upper body in place and just let the lower body turn itself. I got all my backward 3s in a fraction of the time the forward ones too. If everything is rotated right, they have to turn. For some reason, my forward ones still don't seem to think they have to turn!