View Full Version : Does this sport make my butt look big?

FallDownGoBoom
05-07-2007, 09:19 AM
Honestly. When you're a girlie who stands an inch shy of 6 feet, you don't get any joy from clothing shopping. Your options are either Eddie Bauer/Lands' End size Tall or naked glory.

In addition to the The-Trousers-Don't-Fit-In-The-Leg-Or-The-Rise-And-The-Shirt-Sleeves-Aren't-Remotely-Cutting-It problem, I've come across a new, uhm, wrinkle. Butt is getting muscular. So are the thighs. In other words, SKATING IS PUTTING JUNK IN MY TRUNK AND I AM SPITTING MAD.

Happy Monday.

3skatekiddos
05-07-2007, 09:36 AM
Hey ! People pay big money for um.... FIRM junk in the trunk. Think JLo.
Work it girl :)
Your post made my Monday morning :)

SynchroSk8r114
05-07-2007, 09:42 AM
Hahaha! My boyfriend loves my little skater butt! Like 3skatekiddos said, "Work it, girl!" ;)

phoenix
05-07-2007, 09:57 AM
Yep! I'm about the same height as you, but reasonably slim. So I need a larger size to fit my muscular butt & thighs, but then the waist is huge! Eddie Bauer is my world.

ETA: although the naked glory is an option I hadn't considered...... :twisted:

Amandaskategirl
05-07-2007, 10:16 AM
I have heard that there is such a thing as a ‘skaters butt’. :)

I went up a size in jeans a couple of years after I started skating, as my thighs and bottom required the next size. :frus:

BuggieMom
05-07-2007, 10:30 AM
LOL! I have to buy my dd larger pants to fit her WAAAY developed quads and fanny, then they are too large in the waist and length! Her behind is rock hard and super perky. I am even thinking about taking up the sport just to get my trunk looking anywhere close to that!
It's pretty bad when the shape you envy belongs to a 9yo! 8O

Mrs Redboots
05-07-2007, 10:54 AM
Yes, but a muscular bottom is a seriously good look - just look at how delicious male figure skaters are from behind! Yum. :yum:

Buggiemom, just so's you know, your "fanny" in British English is actually a slightly different part of one's anatomy - put it this way, men don't have one!

Debbie S
05-07-2007, 10:56 AM
LOL, FDGB! I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum - I'm just barely 5'0", slim, and I hate pants shopping b/c everything is too long and too big, even petite sizes! If they fit in the length, they're too small in the waist, hips, and seat....and this was the case even before I started skating, and my butt is not large by anyone's definition. I don't think my rear or thighs have gotten noticeably bigger since I started skating...but I only skate 2 or 3 times a week, so maybe that's not enough - lol.

BuggieMom
05-07-2007, 10:58 AM
YIPES! Change that to behind, then!! :oops:

newskaker5
05-07-2007, 11:03 AM
haha Debbie - I totall agree - worse try having an ex-gymnast body that starts skating - 5'0 tall and nothing ever fits, if its straight leg my calfs are WAY to big, but then the thighs and waist are HUGE - or if I get boot cut at least my giant calves fit, but the waist is like 2 sizes too big compared to my legs and butt - and I wont even get started on my man arms haha:roll:

I think they need to make an "athletic/petite" size :o

Sessy
05-07-2007, 11:04 AM
Except guys actually like big butts. As long as they're not butts of fat, but nicely round shaped muscular butts, they love big butts.
's All in your head girl.

dbny
05-07-2007, 11:12 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol: NO, it doesn't make your butt look big! It actually does make your butt bigger! That is not junk in the trunk. As another poster already said, women pay big money for surgery to artifically enhance their rear ends. Now, IMO, silicone implants are junk! Take a look at Dr90210 sometimes to see what some women actually go through to get what we get while having fun. Personally, being small on top and having always had a "big" butt, I was in college the first time I ever realized that a lot of men do like that, and it took until my 50's to see it become fashionable (thank you J Lo :bow:).

jskater49
05-07-2007, 12:01 PM
My daughter has always been very slim, she wears a size 0-1 jeans -but she does have abutt that sticks out. Her friends tease her good naturedly about it and she doesn't mind because she has a good figure and knows guys like butts. One of her aunts on her dad's side is on the fat side and has a big butt so I always thought it was her genes. Never occurred to me it might be skating.

j

SynchroSk8r114
05-07-2007, 12:09 PM
My daughter has always been very slim, she wears a size 0-1 jeans - but she does have a butt that sticks out.

I'm the same size as your daughter, and I think you can totally blame the butt on skating. But it's sooo worth it! ;)

peanutskates
05-07-2007, 12:11 PM
any scientific reason that skating makes your butt bigger?

newskaker5
05-07-2007, 12:22 PM
Skating really strengthens the glute muscles (butt muscles) - the stronger your butt muscles, the "bigger" your butt - big in a good way (the same way your arms get bigger with increasing bicep/tricep muscles with weight training, etc)

phoenix
05-07-2007, 12:23 PM
any scientific reason that skating makes your butt bigger?

Muscles!!

8-)

peanutskates
05-07-2007, 12:31 PM
newskaker (BTW, why skaker??): unless your arms get so muscly you look like a big man weightlifter!! so not a v good comparison... :lol:

b viswanathan
05-07-2007, 01:01 PM
Well, I have the "ethnobutt" (round, as many of my ethnic heritage have!), and my guy seems to appreciate it, so I'm not against Skaters Butt Syndrome (SBS) myself...

But seriously, if you want to lengthen muscles in the glutes/thigh area, I really recommend lots of ballet. I think it creates a longer, less bunchy line throughout the back of your leg. (Check with a local ballet company to see if they have classes - or the New York City Ballet has put out DVDs, I believe, for following at home.) "Elongation" is the best policy!

SynchroSk8r114
05-07-2007, 01:03 PM
But seriously, if you want to lengthen muscles in the glutes/thigh area, I really recommend lots of ballet. I think it creates a longer, less bunchy line throughout the back of your leg. (Check with a local ballet company to see if they have classes - or the New York City Ballet has put out DVDs, I believe, for following at home.) "Elongation" is the best policy!

Agreed. Pilates does wonders as well because it works on that whole "elongation" and muscle control thing!

Bill_S
05-07-2007, 01:03 PM
Hmm, I can get behind this thread.:lol:

From this guy's perspective, the size isn't as important as, umm, shape (yes, firm and muscular are GOOD assets.)

Sessy
05-07-2007, 01:05 PM

From this guy's perspective, the size isn't as important as, umm, shape (yes, firm and muscular are GOOD assets.)

Don't worry, we girls feel pretty much the same way about boys' butts. :roll: :lol: :twisted:

sue123
05-07-2007, 02:10 PM
I was happy when I started skating and my butt got bigger. I used to have such a flat butt, but now it has some shape. Gotta love it.

WJLServo
05-07-2007, 02:22 PM
Had to laugh. Had been kidding a gal who just started skating at local rink; I got her set up for lessons with the coach who teaches me, and she's done very well. But, I warned her, "You know, keep this up, and in six months you're gonna have a 'bubble butt' just like the rest of us Ice Lunatics!"

She thought that was pretty funny, cause she had a very flat rear end, and always has had.

Hah! Six months later, and, damnd if she doesn't have "skater's butt" to beat the band! Think she's gonna have Puerto Rican fellas following her around. :twisted:

Bill_S
05-07-2007, 02:40 PM
Hey Bill, good to see you around these parts! I haven't checked the RSSIR newsgroup in ages to see who is left.

jazzpants
05-07-2007, 02:55 PM
From Sir Mix-a-lot:

"I LIKE - BIG - BUTTS and I cannot lie..."

BuggieMom: I have the same problem as your DD. Mine are unfortunately getting too big for my small frame, though they're still kinda perky and firm. :lol: Quads are also getting too HUGE for those jeans that the Gap makes out there too. It's muscular to the point of BULKY, even though I've slimming down a bit. :x It already makes it quite annoying now for me to shop at the GAP for jeans... and of course this is on top of the problems with them going "ultra low-rise" on practically ALL their jeans at the store. :x (I may be going Levi's from now on... depending on what their selection looks like.)

BTW: Unless you have very long legs (as in 33" inseams works well with you...) the House Of Dereon (Beyonce's jeans) will probably not well for you either. :roll:

As for guys liking it... well, I guess the only person that counts is hubby and he seems happy with it. :P

Sessy
05-07-2007, 03:11 PM
My butt always was the largest part of my body, and it was already described as great by guys, but now it's grown some more. Also my thighs have, and I've always had thunder thighs.
But it's all a solid block of muscle so hey. I can't care less. :)

WJLServo
05-07-2007, 04:41 PM
Bill S -

Good to see you here, too!

Do see Jeanne at local rinks, now and again; gotta remember to give her URL for forum. Perhaps she'll show up here also....

jazzpants
05-07-2007, 04:52 PM
Hey Bill, good to see you around these parts! I haven't checked the RSSIR newsgroup in ages to see who is left.Not much going on besides johns yakkin' away! Even Sling Skate isn't coming around.

Do see Jeanne at local rinks, now and again; gotta remember to give her URL for forum. Perhaps she'll show up here also....Please do!!! I want to know how she's doing and see more of her skating too!!! :bow:

looplover
05-07-2007, 05:40 PM
I've come across a new, uhm, wrinkle. Butt is getting muscular. So are the thighs. In other words, SKATING IS PUTTING JUNK IN MY TRUNK AND I AM SPITTING MAD.

Happy Monday.

Hey that's a good thing!!! Really!!!

doubletoe
05-07-2007, 06:18 PM
Skating tightens and strengthens the gluteus muscles, which makes your butt rounder and firmer and keeps it from sagging. Not only does it look great, but since your butt is lifted instead of sagging, it even makes your legs look longer! I took 5 years off from skating and I hated how flabby and saggy my butt got, but a few months after I started skating again, I really noticed the difference!

BuggieMom
05-07-2007, 06:24 PM
BuggieMom: I have the same problem as your DD. Mine are unfortunately getting too big for my small frame, though they're still kinda perky and firm. :lol: Quads are also getting too HUGE for those jeans that the Gap makes out there too. It's muscular to the point of BULKY, even though I've slimming down a bit.
Her quads don't look too bulky on her now, but they are for SURE more noticably developed than most kids I see, even other skaters. I don't know why that is...genetics? Although you wouldn't say that by looking at ME! :lol: I have noticed that Emily Hughes seems to have more muscular thighs than other skaters, so she's in good company!
I took her for some phys therapy recently to try to straighten out her swayback (which makes that trunk even MORE prominant!) and the therapist said that her swayback really wasn't that bad, just that her highly developed quads and glutes just made it *look* worse than it was!

jazzpants
05-07-2007, 06:26 PM
Skating tightens and strengthens the gluteus muscles, which makes your butt rounder and firmer and keeps it from sagging. Not only does it look great, but since your butt is lifted instead of sagging, it even makes your legs look longer!True... then again, my trainer is telling me that I need to work on my gluteus minimus muscles b/c it's the beginning of the core muscles. *sigh* :roll:

garusha
05-07-2007, 06:31 PM
I don't know. Maybe, it's not the same with everybody. My but and my thighs were always flaggy and big. I started doing Pilates a couple of years ago. Then I started skating 16 months ago. Now my butt and my thigs are rock hard, but they haven't become any bigger. In fact, I went a size down on my jeans. Of course, I also dieted to lose ten pounds, and now the clothes are loose, and everybody says I look slimmer. I wish I could do something to my arms too, because they look weak.

doubletoe
05-07-2007, 06:39 PM
True... then again, my trainer is telling me that I need to work on my gluteus minimus muscles b/c it's the beginning of the core muscles. *sigh* :roll:

Yes, those are part of the gluteus muscle group (maximus, minimus, medius, etc.). I think the minimus are the upper butt muscles, and if so, doing lots of spirals will build them. They are the ones that lift your butt and make it look higher, so they are good ones (now you know the REAL reason I'm so into spirals, ROFL!).

jazzpants
05-07-2007, 06:49 PM
Yes, those are part of the gluteus muscle group (maximus, minimus, medius, etc.). I think the minimus are the upper butt muscles, and if so, doing lots of spirals will build them. They are the ones that lift your butt and make it look higher, so they are good ones (now you know the REAL reason I'm so into spirals, ROFL!).You are very correct about the minimus being the upper butt muscles and yes, the trainer wanted to work on that muscle b/c I had specifically told him that I have trouble with spirals!!! ("Surprise, surprise" as to why I don't do spirals that well, huh??? :roll: )

Emberchyld
05-07-2007, 07:07 PM
:lol: I love this post!

Before I started skating, my sister used to tease me about the fact that I had no butt. Now she has to admit that I've joined the land of those with butts!

Luckily for me, since I had none to start with, this new butt is actually helping me to properly fill in pants (no saggy bottom-slacks now!)

blackmanskating
05-07-2007, 07:25 PM
I think a big butt is a beautiful thing!!!!! Nothing makes me angry like a girl with wide hips but nothing in the back! What a disappointment. But, a big and round booty isn't a bad thing at all. Be proud of it!!! The only place I've seen the "skater's booty" is on T.V. I must say that I love it!! But I have noticed that yeah skating does something to the booty. I skate 5 days a week and my butt has grown 2 inches since I started skating. And I've lost over 30 pounds in the process. 8O Now I'm nervous about putting on those skating pants. LOL I have a small waist and narrow hips so it makes it look bigger than it actually is. My quads and hamstrings have gotten a little larger too. :giveup: But have you seen Emily Hughes??? Her legs are built like tanks!! :bow: She needs to tap into those tanks and do triple-triples. So I guess it affects everyone differently, including us guys. Skaters come in all colors, shapes, and sizes. Let me say that this is the best thread ever!!!!!!!

BlackManSkating

FallDownGoBoom
05-07-2007, 08:02 PM
It's good to hear the guys' perspectives, even if some of them are just giving us skirts the ol' "Whoot! Whoot!" Whoot on, boys, whoot on.

It's wacky the way we pile on muscle in different ways. I wish I could pile it on more like a Kwan or a Cohen than a Hughes. (And people! We all know which Hughes I'm talking about!)

Crikey.

tidesong
05-07-2007, 10:01 PM
I can't really say whether its figure skating that does it for me (or if its natural...because I don't really remember anymore...) BUT pants fitting has definetly always been a difficult issue... thankfully slightly stretchy material pants are more common now and those help (so I can buy one closer to my waist size)... I really don't like walking around with a huge gap around my waist.

Sk8pdx
05-07-2007, 10:13 PM
From Sir Mix-a-lot:

Thanks Jazz,... now I have that song stuck in my head!:twisted: :P :lol:

The question should be "Does this sport make my butt look great?"
I just feel "Fergi-licious":P all over! Great post, Falldown. I have gathered that skating has proven beneficial to our eyes and our back sides from both "his" and "hers" perspectives. LOL...what could be greater?

jazzpants
05-07-2007, 11:43 PM
Thanks Jazz,... now I have that song stuck in my head!:twisted: :P :lol:All I'll say to that this....

BABY... GOT BACK!!! :twisted: :P :lol: (Yes, ISk8NYC! I know! I'm at it again!!!) :lol:

The question should be "Does this sport make my butt look great?"
I just feel "Fergi-licious":P all over! Great post, Falldown. I have gathered that skating has proven beneficial to our eyes and our back sides from both "his" and "hers" perspectives. LOL...what could be greater?Of course, I prefer the "visual perspective" the best :twisted: , but this will do. :lol: :P

Sonic
05-08-2007, 02:59 AM
Since starting skating, I have dropped two dress sizes. My butt has actually reduced in size, my legs are lower body are nicely toned.

Great, some may say, but believe me, it isn't.

I have a minute butt and shapely legs, but still have a huge waist, and small chest. So instead of being nicely rounded like a 'normal' female, I look like a man with two fried eggs on his chest. In a skating dress, I resemble one of those cartoon characters with a huge body and tiny little legs underneath. The fact I have short hair compounds the problem further.

And because I've got no padding on my thighs and rear end, skating splats hurt!!

The moral of this story?

NO female is happy with their body shape lol!:lol:

S xxx

Mrs Redboots
05-08-2007, 09:49 AM
In a skating dress, I resemble one of those cartoon characters with a huge body and tiny little legs underneath.

That is so not true! Don't listen to her - she looks very nice in a skating dress!

I've always been steatopygic (i.e. had a sticking-out bum), as was my grandmother before me, and skating has made it no smaller, although it's a lot more muscular. Of course, having the figure of a typical middle-aged woman doesn't help, although I'm no longer obese....

PattyP
05-08-2007, 10:36 AM
GOOD ASSets.)

Gotta love your choice of word....;)

Bill_S
05-08-2007, 10:53 AM
Gotta love your choice of word....;)

Finally, someone caught on! ;)

or maybe I was being ignored for the puns...

doubletoe
05-08-2007, 11:46 AM
From Sir Mix-a-lot:

BuggieMom: I have the same problem as your DD. Mine are unfortunately getting too big for my small frame, though they're still kinda perky and firm. :lol: Quads are also getting too HUGE for those jeans that the Gap makes out there too. It's muscular to the point of BULKY, even though I've slimming down a bit. :x It already makes it quite annoying now for me to shop at the GAP for jeans... and of course this is on top of the problems with them going "ultra low-rise" on practically ALL their jeans at the store. :x (I may be going Levi's from now on... depending on what their selection looks like.)

BTW: Unless you have very long legs (as in 33" inseams works well with you...) the House Of Dereon (Beyonce's jeans) will probably not well for you either. :roll:

All of the stretch designer jeans come with 33" - 34.5" inseams. You just get them hemmed to the right length. If you look for jeans/pants that are a "trouser cut" then they won't be so tight in the thighs and they will elongate the look of your legs even if you have bigger thighs. :)

southernsk8er
05-08-2007, 11:55 AM
i love this thread! i thought i was going crazy because i swear i've lost weight, but my butt and legs have not gotten smaller. my coach/boyfriend confirmed i do indeed have "skater's butt." the good news is more muscle=less cellulite!
i can relate to everyone who says this is not good news for finding pants, if you have a small waist and a nice booty. i also have the same problem as the original poster of being 5'11". i had to buy an XL skating dress so it would be long enough in the body, and then have it taken in all around...except for the hip/butt area! but hey, as long as it's mostly muscle, i think it looks great!

samba
05-08-2007, 12:08 PM
I never did have much of a butt, however just lately my belly is getting so big I think it has plans of taking over the world 8O , dreading wearing my lycra dress for Bracknell, I think I am going to have to starve for the next few weeks, or maybe skate in a smock :lol: .

blackmanskating
05-08-2007, 01:07 PM
All I'll say to that this....

BABY... GOT BACK!!! :twisted: :P :lol: (Yes, ISk8NYC! I know! I'm at it again!!!) :lol:

Of course, I prefer the "visual perspective" the best :twisted: , but this will do. :lol: :P

Hahaha!!!! Jazzpants you are killing me here. LOL That was too funny!!:lol: Now that song is gonna be in my head.

Isk8NYC
05-08-2007, 01:12 PM
or maybe I was being ignored for the puns...I loved the puns!

All I'll say to that this....
:lol: :lol: :lol: You go, gurl!

CanAmSk8ter
05-08-2007, 01:46 PM
If you have problems with your thighs fitting into pants, defintiely don't take up hockey. :D I started playing a year ago and the explosive start and push on hockey skates work a totally different set of muscles, namely the ones at the bottom of your butt/top of your thighs in a the back, and the quadriceps. After my first scrimmage I could barely make it up and down stairs for two days, and I've been (figure) skating five days a week for the last seven years.

Here's my problem with clothes- I have a size 2 waist and a size 4/6 butt and thighs. It's a problem I've had since puberty (if you could see my mom and grandma you'd understand) but it's continually gotten worse. To compound it all, I'm 5'1", so anything not from the petite department is out of the question. The only sizes I've found that work on me at all is a 2 Short or a 4 Short, depending on the cut, from the Gap and Old Navy. So much stuff in petite departments like JC Penney and Macy's is too, um, mature for me ;) I will not wear elastic-waist pants, comfy as they look, at 25 years old.

blackmanskating
05-08-2007, 02:37 PM
If you have problems with your thighs fitting into pants, defintiely don't take up hockey. :D I started playing a year ago and the explosive start and push on hockey skates work a totally different set of muscles, namely the ones at the bottom of your butt/top of your thighs in a the back, and the quadriceps. After my first scrimmage I could barely make it up and down stairs for two days, and I've been (figure) skating five days a week for the last seven years.

Here's my problem with clothes- I have a size 2 waist and a size 4/6 butt and thighs. It's a problem I've had since puberty (if you could see my mom and grandma you'd understand) but it's continually gotten worse. To compound it all, I'm 5'1", so anything not from the petite department is out of the question. The only sizes I've found that work on me at all is a 2 Short or a 4 Short, depending on the cut, from the Gap and Old Navy. So much stuff in petite departments like JC Penney and Macy's is too, um, mature for me ;) I will not wear elastic-waist pants, comfy as they look, at 25 years old.

I kinda have the same problem. I'm a guy so it isn't as bad for me but I have to wear baggy jeans because of how I'm shaped now. My waist is a 31 but I have to get size 36 just to get them around my posterior. I slap a belt on to keep my pants up. I can't have my jeans fitting me like my figure skating pants. That wouldn't be cool at all. And I'm short too. I'm only 5' 7". It's not my fault that almost every ambercrombie and fitch model is tall and shaped like a lego.

BlackManSkating

jazzpants
05-08-2007, 02:59 PM

This one is good too! :P :lol:

blackmanskating
05-08-2007, 04:01 PM
This one is good too! :P :lol:

Hahaha!!! I must've missed that one. :lol:

Mrs Redboots
05-08-2007, 04:17 PM
I never did have much of a butt, however just lately my belly is getting so big I think it has plans of taking over the world 8O , dreading wearing my lycra dress for Bracknell, I think I am going to have to starve for the next few weeks, or maybe skate in a smock :lol: .Yes, dear, and if you're fat, what does that make me????? :frus:

BatikatII
05-08-2007, 04:57 PM
Skating definitely tones the butt - no saggy butt cheeks despite encroaching middle age :lol:

But the last pair of skating trousers I bought were actually from the kids schoolwear department of the local supermarket. They are slightly stretchy plain black school trousers and I love them. Tough, comfortable and the age 14-15 ones fit perfectly!

The fashion for hipster trousers has been a godsend as my problem was always not having hips so most womens trousers that fit at the waist were huge on the hips. The new high waisted fashion is not good news.

Rusty Blades
05-09-2007, 05:35 AM
I have to wear baggy jeans because of how I'm shaped now. My waist is a 31 but I have to get size 36 just to get them around my posterior. I slap a belt on to keep my pants up. I can't have my jeans fitting me like my figure skating pants. That wouldn't be cool at all.

Stop it you guys! You're distracting me from the thread :twisted:

As a teen I figure skated in the winter, swam in the summer and spent a lot of time pitching sheaves (of grain, for you youngsters) and bales on the farm so I have had "thighs that could crush a bus" and broad shoulders since I was young. (In the 1960's you could tell which girls were skaters by their legs!) Thanks to my mother's genetics, I never had hips or a butt to speak of. When I decided to start skating again (about 15 months ago) I went to a Pilate's instructor to get some 'core exercises' and she couldn't keep her hands off my legs "Oh my! Look at the muscle development! Wow!" and that was BEFORE I started again 8O I am afraid to go back now, after I have been skating for a year - LOL! Finding pants that fit well is nearly impossible! Anything that I can get my legs into is going to be baggy in the butt and loose at the waist. Thank gawd for stretch fabrics!

So, skating develops more butt? There may be hope for me yet 8-)

liz_on_ice
05-09-2007, 10:42 AM
Yes, those are part of the gluteus muscle group (maximus, minimus, medius, etc.). I think the minimus are the upper butt muscles, and if so, doing lots of spirals will build them. They are the ones that lift your butt and make it look higher, so they are good ones (now you know the REAL reason I'm so into spirals, ROFL!).

Hah! I love doing spirals already, and now that I know where that 'lift' I've noticed is coming from, I'll be doing even more of them. :D

samba
05-09-2007, 12:00 PM
Yes, dear, and if you're fat, what does that make me????? :frus:
It makes you normal, when I am honest with myself I dont think I'm fat its just that, with the involuntary lack of exercise for the past year everything is going south, but I have the incentive of getting into that dress so am going to try harder, watch this space.

doubletoe
05-09-2007, 01:04 PM
Hah! I love doing spirals already, and now that I know where that 'lift' I've noticed is coming from, I'll be doing even more of them. :D

Yeah, just make sure you practice them on both feet, or else your butt will be higher on one side and you'll have to have two different leg lengths when you hem your pants! :lol:

jazzpants
05-09-2007, 01:47 PM
Stop it you guys! You're distracting me from the thread :twisted: But it's so much FUN!!!! :P :lol:

Rusty: I just got back pictures from my annual holiday party and it ain't pretty. My arms are big and muscular. The legs are strong and muscular and I'm wearing a very nice SKIRT and TOP!!! :oops: There is NO WAY in HADES I can look lithe and graceful in a skating dress looking like I'm coming back from Ms. Olympia here. :twisted: :x I am fitting into the jeans that I bought a while back waist-wise, but the leg is still a bit tight b/c of the muscles in the thighs and upper legs. And yes, the "thighs that could crush a bus" describes me to a T.

We'll see what happens after I've reach my weight goal.... maybe it will help the look a bit once I lose the excess baggage... :??

liz_on_ice
05-09-2007, 01:51 PM
Yeah, just make sure you practice them on both feet, or else your butt will be higher on one side and you'll have to have two different leg lengths when you hem your pants! :lol:

And we won't even talk about skirt hems, ugh! I promise to practice RFO, no matter how much traffic is coming at me the other way!

Seriously, I do these in the living room in my socks all the time. Whenever I come in from running or biking I stretch all over, then liiiifffffft those spirals. Both sides, a few times each.

I secretly try them out in the ladies room at work, because I can check out my leg position in the huge mirror <blush>

LilJen
05-09-2007, 02:23 PM
Jazzpants and I must be on the same wavelength, because the first thing that came to my mind was "Baby's Got Back" (and how many of us now have that song going through our heads?) I've had the big butt/big thigh thing from Alpine skiing from age 3 on and racing for like 10 years, until I was through high school. So the no clothes fitting is sooooooo old to me.

FallDown, it just means it's time for you to create an interpretive program to "Baby's Got Back." Have fun!

jazzpants
05-09-2007, 03:02 PM
If you really don't want to think of "Baby Got Back," you can also think of this other "oldie but...ummm....goody (http://www.top40db.net/Lyrics/?SongID=88022&By=Year&Match=)"

blackmanskating
05-09-2007, 03:33 PM
Stop it you guys! You're distracting me from the thread :twisted:

:lol: I'm sorry!!!! :oops: That made me grin a little bit. :mrgreen: I'm just tired of buying Levi's loose fit jeans. Those are the only ones that work for me.

BlackManSkating

Rusty Blades
05-09-2007, 07:33 PM
I confess, I admit it! Male figure skaters are VERY distracting 8-) (I may be "old", but I'm not DEAD!)

jazzpants
05-09-2007, 07:38 PM
:lol: I'm sorry!!!! :oops: That made me grin a little bit. :mrgreen: I'm just tired of buying Levi's loose fit jeans. Those are the only ones that work for me.Speaking of Levi's... do they still make those "Custom Fit" jeans???

Oh, wait!!! I found something (http://www.tailormade-jeanswear.com/)!!! :twisted:

FallDownGoBoom
05-09-2007, 08:01 PM
FallDown, it just means it's time for you to create an interpretive program to "Baby's Got Back." Have fun!

This is a HOOT!

Every now and then I get a glimpse of an 11-year-old doing a quadruple toe loop/quintuple axel/triple flip/sextuplet salchow and I can't help but think, "That's right, missy-poo. Enjoy it now. Because it will all go down the tubes once the chest and hips make an appearance. AND YOU WILL BE BITTER, BITTER, BITTER."

Rusty Blades
05-10-2007, 05:23 AM
.....Enjoy it now. Because it will all go down the tubes once the chest and hips make an appearance

Ain't that the truth!

A month or so back I was standing with a coach watching her 10 year old student who was just a natural on the ice - beautiful flow, high clean jumps, spins that were just a blur, tremendous flexibility, and just oozed elegance and grace. I said to the coach "I hope her skating survives puberty....." The coach said "It probably wont; I just hope she can handle the let-down."

Sessy
05-10-2007, 05:31 AM
I only know 1 male figure skater my age and he smokes. And that's just a turn off to be honest. Though, if mr. Plushenko was to turn up on my doorstep tomorrow night, I'd be hard-pressed to say no.

By the way on a large (like 30 000 members) Dutch forum there's right now a discussion going on about that all the chicks either have a flat bum, or are fat. I'm guessing that's because there's only about a thausand figure skaters in the Netherlands. Else they'd know there's a whole different type of girl ;)

Sessy
05-10-2007, 05:38 AM
There's this one girl at the rink who's like 11 years old and she does doubles maybe a fourth of a foot off the ice - so basically the only reason she does doubles is because she's TINY. Seriously she has less height on them than I do on my singles. Anyway she was all conceived a while ago, telling me I should have started earlier if I wanted to amount to anything and stuff, that she's landed a 2Axel etc. She's kind of shut up after the coaches got me started on an Axel, but still I can't help but wonder whether her 2A will survive the estrogen. My guess is that none of her doubles will.

Figureskates
05-10-2007, 06:00 AM
My 15 year old niece had most of her doubles until she suddenly grew large breasts. Unfortunately all the jumps went bye bye since she could not adjust to the body shape change....

kittie067
05-10-2007, 09:28 PM
haha Debbie - I totall agree - worse try having an ex-gymnast body that starts skating - 5'0 tall and nothing ever fits, if its straight leg my calfs are WAY to big, but then the thighs and waist are HUGE - or if I get boot cut at least my giant calves fit, but the waist is like 2 sizes too big compared to my legs and butt - and I wont even get started on my man arms haha:roll:

I think they need to make an "athletic/petite" size :o

At least I'm not the only one... I'm also 5'0 and have slim hips, so my skater's booty looks even bigger!!

I usually wear stretch pants...:frus:

peanutskates
05-11-2007, 01:25 AM
sessy - how rude of the girl to say that!! did she actually say that you can't amount to anything now??
congrats on starting the axel. but some people just stay pretty tiny their whole life. especially if she diets heavily, she'll stop the maturing process (some elite skaters who were like anorexic/bulimic didn't start maturing or growing properly until they quit)

southernsk8er
05-11-2007, 09:36 AM
There's this one girl at the rink who's like 11 years old and she does doubles maybe a fourth of a foot off the ice - so basically the only reason she does doubles is because she's TINY. Seriously she has less height on them than I do on my singles. Anyway she was all conceived a while ago, telling me I should have started earlier if I wanted to amount to anything and stuff, that she's landed a 2Axel etc.

How incredibly rude! I've seen kids like this too - they barely jump, but they can spin around in the air so quickly! Of course I've seen older, pre-teen or young teens that get pretty high off the ice as well. I've heard coaches talk about girls losing jumps after they hit puberty, if they get hips (some don't - lucky!). I've talked to another tall adult lady, and we've had similar problems with spinning. We're both working on the axel, and I know I have to jump as high as I can and pull my arms in really hard to even have a chance of getting around. I'm jealous of tiny people :)

Sessy
05-11-2007, 11:06 AM
Well implicidly she did, didn't she? If you say that you should've started earlyer to be good, that means you presume you can't achieve anything now.
Literally, in Dutch, she said "Als je er goed in had willen worden, had je veel eerder moeten beginnen."

Which is where I intend to prove her wrong. All my life people have been telling me one or other thing can't be done and so far I've always gotten it done, in fact, that's about the only things I get done since I need a challenge to stay interested. Besides I skate better when I'm angry anyway. She's done me a favour without even knowing. :lol:

southernsk8er
05-11-2007, 01:33 PM
I feel the same way you do - last night a teenager told me I look like a "crappy adult skater." I don't know if she was kidding or not, but it made me feel even more determined to get better!

blackmanskating
05-11-2007, 01:56 PM
Speaking of Levi's... do they still make those "Custom Fit" jeans???

Oh, wait!!! I found something (http://www.tailormade-jeanswear.com/)!!! :twisted:

Thanks for showing us this jazzpants!!! I may actually get pants from them!!! Maybe there's hope for me yet. :LOL:

peanutskates
05-11-2007, 02:02 PM
ok that one with the two women standing in the jeans is disgusting. whoever is that size should seriously DIET!!!

blackmanskating
05-11-2007, 02:21 PM
ok that one with the two women standing in the jeans is disgusting. whoever is that size should seriously DIET!!!

Hahaha!!!! LOL I agree!!! I wasn't going to say anything though!! Great minds think alike??? :D

peanutskates
05-12-2007, 02:37 AM
Great minds think alike???

Yes, they do! 8-)

and let me just say that those 2 women aren't exactly anorexics... so it's not like 2 really thin women... it's more like 2 quite curvy women...

SkatingOnClouds
05-12-2007, 02:51 AM
LOL ! Am I the only person whose butt has gotten smaller from skating?

Okay, so I was pretty fat to start with, but it has seriously reduced in size and improved in shape.

As I say to my husband when he comments how much smaller it has gotten, it's because I have literally been skating my butt off !

peanutskates
05-12-2007, 02:54 AM
lol... good one karen ;)

jazzpants
05-12-2007, 11:14 AM
and let me just say that those 2 women aren't exactly anorexics... so it's not like 2 really thin women... it's more like 2 quite curvy women...The intention of the ad with the two women that are quite ummm... curvy... is to show that the company doesn't make jeans just for rail-thin model types. But yeah, those two DEFINITELY come off as having a big 'ol BUTT!!! 8O

Karen: I envy you! I wish I could skate off my big 'ol butt... but instead of getting smaller and slimmer for me, I've become BULKY and more solid!!! *sigh* :roll:

Cheers,
jazzpants, whose diet helped make her ponch significantly smaller, but it's still not catching up to the boobs b/c THEY are shrinking too!!! :frus: :roll:

lovepairs
05-13-2007, 04:01 PM
SPANDEX...and that's all I have to say about that. Skaters, both men and women, have the best butts in the business! ;)

lilpairsk8ter
05-14-2007, 11:43 AM
OMG, This thread made my monday LOL. I can totally relate to having a skaters body. Im a 4'8 Former pairs skater and i am built more like a gymnast with very muscular legs, arms, and butt (which is my boyfriends fav part). I am also a recovered anorexic so now i have a womans body but the height of an 8yr old girl which makes clothes shopping and shoe shopping most difficult. Every pair of pants i buy has to be altered which is a pain so i know what everyone here is going through. Im just SOOO glad im not the only one.