View Full Version : Today's quest for ICE :-)

Laura H
05-06-2007, 09:06 PM
After a very sad week with our local rink closing on Monday night, we gathered together about 20 skaters (and 4 coaches) and headed to the nearest rink (Augusta, GA - a little over an hour away) to try to "keep it going" ;) The rink is smaller but wow the rink owner was SUPER excited to see us and was so welcoming to us and our coaches! The surface was a bit tough going at first but things went much better after the mid-session zam.

I had an AWESOME skate, I think mostly thanks to my dh who is my newest favorite skate sharpener after I took a leap of faith and ordered the 3/8 inch Profiler sharpener - I don't know exactly what ROH the last sharpener used but it was definitely not deep enough . . . the 3/8, however, turned out to be absolutely perfect for me - spin entries were so secure and salchows were amazing - I suddenly was able to get a good secure edge for the takeoff. (so that's what it's supposed to feel like? huh!).

DS, though, had the coup of the day - because his coach let him *try* the axel towards the end of his lesson and darned if he didn't actually land a baby one . . . the look on his face was pretty priceless. 8O

I was so proud of our kids, parents and coaches for plugging along and making the best of a bad situation .. . we're all keeping our fingers crossed that it's a temporary setback, but it's nice to be welcomed elsewhere in the meantime!

Clare
05-07-2007, 05:26 AM
I'm so glad to hear it went so well at the other rink. It must be a difficult situation, not really knowing what's happening with your regular rink, but it's great that have somewhere in the meantime :)

Oh, and well done to your DS on the "baby" axel!

Clare

Laura H
05-07-2007, 03:44 PM
Oh yeah . .. forgot this amusing little tidbit . ..

one of our coaches went down to Charleston SC for practice on Saturday . . . and everyone was so nice and welcoming and super-sympathetic about her coming all the way from "Iceland" to find a new place to skate . .. at some point she realized that they meant Iceland "the country" . . . LOLOLOL!!! (now that WOULD be dedication!!).

Bill_S
05-07-2007, 05:20 PM
Heh, "Iceland" is the name of the first ice skating rink I ever saw at the tender age of 27. It's been long gone -first turned into a retail store, and who knows what by now.

Good luck on your quest for ice. I hate to drive, but I will have to find time and motivation to get to Columbus (OH) for a session or two myself since our rink is closed for the season.

I'm sure that my skills are going away (happens each year) and my waistline is growing. I'm up a pound for each week I've been off the ice. This HAS to stop!