View Full Version : Novice MIF, failed 2x.....

mandypants
05-05-2007, 10:17 PM
Hi, I'm new here and this is only my second post but I've been a lurker for a while and have respected and appreciated the advice everyone has here very much. Anyhoo.... I just wondered what you would have to say to a person (me) who is getting a complex about this test. I want so much to put this behind me and the more I practice, it seems the more I start doubting myself. I'd like to take it again this summer, in fact my coach says June or July might be good. Some of the patterns I passed the first time, I failed the 2nd time around! I guess I'm just wondering if other people have had trouble on tests and what advice you might have just to get over the mental issues. I feel like my whole rink is aware of my failing, too and I know I shouldn't think that way but its hard to block out that stuff. The pressure is building. I love skating so much and passing doesn't really have so much to do with competitive issues as just meeting my own personal goals. I actually like moves and most of my friends who have passed this HATE moves with a passion.

I hope this doesn't come across as whiny. Just interested in experiences and thoughts on this stuff. Thank you!

lovepairs
05-06-2007, 06:17 AM
Hi Mandypants,

I'm working on Novice MIF now, but had to take the Intermediate Test four(4) times before passing. I know exactly what you are talking about, and the truth of the matter is that yes everyone is aware of your "retries," but also everyone is aware that you are "trying," too. So, that's something you are just going to have to deal with--it's part of the landscape and built into competition, too, and when you make a "come back," or finally "pass" you will be A LOT stronger. It's like a piece of steel constantly being anealed (sp?) :roll:

Anyway, the Intermediate test that I finally passed was worse then the three that I took before it :frus: My pairs partner and I took the Intermediate Pairs test last year (didn't pass) and we just took it last week and didn't pass. In the year inbetween we made soooo much progress including now having overhead lifts and better overall skating, and still nothing. We practice and work extremely hard and there is no way that we've gone backwards with our skating. All we've heard lately from both our coaches and other skaters is how much we've improved.

There are so many variables at play here, such as time of day you're testing, ice conditions, kids taking Novice Moves right before you, you might have a judge or two on your panel who truly believes that adults shouldn't be testing on the standard track (and believe me, they are out there--we've had at least one judge in our area come right out and say this in a public forum. And, yet, this judge is still assigned to panels with adults testing on standard), ect...

Basically, it's a crap shoot. My pairs partner and I have developed a new strategy to all of this: we see test taking as an opportunity to perform under pressure, we think of it as doing an exhibition in front of a mini audience. We do our best, get off the ice, and if all three sheets are just filled with negativity, the sheets go right into the nearest garbage can. However, if there is any sheet, even though we didn't pass, that has some encouragement and constructive criticism then we will keep those, re read them, and take the advice to heart. Then back to practice and onto the next test in a month...no big deal.

Another thing that has really helped me is to stop looking at "passing" a test as something to "get off my plate." In other words, and, especially with Moves into the Field, I just incorporate the moves into my daily warm ups, and then just get on with the rest of my practice. You have to warm up before you do jumps, spins, your program ect...so, why not just let the moves be your warm up. It's important to find a way to incorporate testing both financially and emotionally into your overall skating program in order to deal with everything you are talking about. In other words, develop a "long-term" testing starategy for yourself, which will short circut the devestation of a "retry." Less of this :frus: and more of this :P

Hope this helps!

jskater49
05-06-2007, 07:51 AM
You should get together with my daughter. She has failed this test 3 times and her coach and I cannot get her to even talk about taking it again.

As far as the whole rink knowing - they have all had to deal with tests and if you got to know people they'd have their own stories to tell of tests not passed. Most of them are sympathetic and will admire you all the more for sticking to it and will cheer when you do pass. If not they are idiots and you should not care what they think.

If your coach thought you were good enough to pass, you can do it. Some judges are pickier than others. I don't know where you are but in the midwest, we are close enough to travel to other states and try different judges. That's what I did when I finally passed the Dutch Waltz after failing it 3 times.

THis is a tough test but you don't want to quit now, you just need some time to regroup. What my daughter is doing is working on her junior moves. Do something fun for awhile. Then try again.

j

Isk8NYC
05-06-2007, 07:54 AM
Would it help to go to test sessions and watch the skaters taking that level test? You'd get a different view (as a spectator) and perhaps understand what you need to do in order to pass. The only tough part is finding out whether or not the skaters you watched passed; if you don't know them, you might not feel comfortable asking the results.

jskater49
05-06-2007, 07:56 AM
The only tough part is finding out whether or not the skaters you watched passed; if you don't know them, you might not feel comfortable asking the results.

You can usually tell my watching them interact with their coach. Except for one girl in our club who cried when they told her she passed her junior moves. We thought she failed until we saw her coach grinning.

j

techskater
05-06-2007, 09:17 AM
Heck, I cried when I passed my Intermediate MIF and I'll probably cry when I pass my Novice MIF! ;)

The Novice MIF test is a gateway test. In our area, very few people get through it the first time or even the second. We had one skater who took it 7 times to finally pass. Novice is not easy. It's really the first test where the skills are totally different from the previous (versus the Pre-pre through Intermediate all have skills that build upon one another) and the level of performance expectation is 10X from Intermediate.

I say continue working on it, work on your mental toughness towards it and listen to your coach!

Good luck!

chantelly
05-06-2007, 09:55 AM
You can usually tell my watching them interact with their coach. Except for one girl in our club who cried when they told her she passed her junior moves. We thought she failed until we saw her coach grinning.

j

Here (Uk) they shake your hand if you passed and speak to you if you fail so everyone knows! Very odd! xx

coskater64
05-06-2007, 10:59 AM
Well it took me 5 tries to pass my Novice, 3 of those were split panels with one judge passing me and 2 failing me by .2. I never got a reskate on those either, so I know how you feel. The judges always commented that they believed I was capable of doing these moves better and in the end they were right. I never heard this crap about being an adult, it was about being a skater and meeting a standard. In the end I became a better skater because I sucked it up and worked hard and finally did pass, I did cry several times because it was hard to learn how to do those moves quicker, faster and with so much power. The test I passed on was my best performance of the test and I am grateful that I wasn't given a pass because I was in my 40's, they expect the same thing on my Jr. and even though I've had major surgery there is no leeway given, I will be a better skater when I pass it based on the standard. I'd have it no other way.

One piece of advice, be confident and smile.:roll:

Terri C
05-06-2007, 12:04 PM
While I'm nowhere near taking Novice moves, I totally understand the "getting a complex about a test thing." One week from this Friday, I'll be retaking my Bronze freestyle for the fifth time. Yes you read right the fifth time.
While the previous four times was about five years ago, the demons are starting to come back. So my wanting to pass this test is yes, so I can go to AN 2008 next year, but it's also about conquering a five year old demon and knowing that I can do it.
BTW, if I pass next week, I know I will be crying!

SynchroSk8r114
05-06-2007, 03:48 PM
Testing is a funny thing. For example, I took my Senior MIF twice and passed on the third time...deathly ill...after falling at the end of my powerpulls. Granted, I got a reskate, but the funny thing is that I felt that I skated the worst that day than the other two times I took the test, but apparently the judges thought differently. Yes, the first time I tested I need imrpovement, but the second time was the best I skated the test and they failed me. So a lot of it does not necessarily depend on your own ability, but on the moods of the judges that day. You just never know...

You're probably progressing at your own speed, and I don't think it's anything to be concerned about. In fact, it may be better that you are continously working harder to try and pass this test because when you does finally pass, you will have been good and ready. I remember when I took my Pre-Juv MIF - I passed them after only 1 month! Yes, shocking...and not at all beneficial because when I got to my Juv MIF, I had a difficult time because I had not picked up all the little things I should have learned from Pre-Juv that carried over to the next level. Try and be patient - everything happens for a reason!

I'm not sure how much watching other skaters testing would help. Where I'm from (Pittsburgh area) it seems as though the judges are much more demanding in the quality of skating they want to see at certain levels, and I think that this is great. It definitely ups the standard and gives skaters something to strive for. I know girls from other states who skate on my intercollegiate team that have passed certain tests, and when they tell me this, I cannot believe them based on how I've seem them skate! 8O I think some of it depends on location...maybe you can try going out of town to a test session with different judges and a fresh perspective?

And at least you enjoy these moves...I loved Novice, too! To help you get over the mental issue of this test, try (as hard as it may be) to put all the other experiences behind you. Remember it's a new day and a new chance for you to prove that you can do it! Trust in your coach. As a coach myself, I wouldn't put out a MIF - or any other test - if I didn't think it would have a chance of passing. Good luck and don't give up!

miraclegro
05-06-2007, 04:31 PM
Although i am not anywhere near Novice, a friend of my re-tested a few weeks ago and failed. I think she's amazing. So, i guess it's just something to continually work at and get stronger at.

I like the person who posted the fact of needing to work on MIF as a warm up each time. I haven't been doing that, and that is my new goal. No whining.

It's always good to have our great support system, here.

mandypants
05-06-2007, 05:01 PM
Thank so much for the advice and I'm pretty stunned at so many really helpful replies. I don't know what to say because everyone hit home on so many things I've been going thru.. Just..thank you from the bottom of my heart!

A couple things... Terri C-good luck!!!!!!!!!! Fingers crossed for you! I wish I could give you a hug!

A few people mentioned watching other people testing and I've done that many times since I started skating. Sometimes it's really helpful for me but it always seems like I'm there watching friends and I get all wrapped up in the emotional side of it rather than really looking at the patterns and paying attention to detail. I think maybe going to a test session away where I didn't know anyone would be a huge help. I'll def. look into that.

I'm wondering if some of my problem is a stamina issue.... I've been working hard on that lately. "Suicides", things like that (suicides are racing from one end of the rink to the hockey lines, back and forth.. I can explain better if anyone wants to know).. Anyway, I'm hoping that will help because it's really obvious to my coach and family that I'm getting tired out there and then I get the shakes.

I really like what Lovepairs said about not thinking about the test as something to get off my plate. I do think like that! That puts a whole new perspective on everything/need to look at it in a different light!

Thanks again.. I'm still kind of emotional about the whole thing and I really appreciate the help on this. You're awesome! I'll check back again on this post..

icedancer2
05-06-2007, 05:51 PM
I agree with what others have said. You say in your first post that you love Moves. This is what I think you should work on for the test. If a skater absolutely loves what they are doing out there, it totally shows and I will have an easier time passing that test than the ones that look like they are just going through the motions.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck on your next test and all of your skating!!

vesperholly
05-06-2007, 10:44 PM
I failed Intermediate MIF and Novice MIF twice before I passed them. I failed Junior MIF once before I passed. I fully expect to fail Senior MIF at least twice. :lol:

I always tell the kids I skate with, "It's not how many times you fail, it's how many times you pass. You only need one." There are a lot of people who focus on passing the first time around, and everyone get discouraged by multiple fails. It's really important to keep plugging away.

As far as the Novice test, I prepared for the test by starting my practice off by doing the entire test in "test mode" - complete the whole pattern even if I make mistakes, take very short breaks in between patterns, patterns in order, do a "reskate" if I screw a pattern up, etc. I did this 5 days a week for about a month to six weeks prior. It really helped me keep my stamina up, moreso than off-ice aerobic work, and helped to keep my nerves down when I did test. I tell myself "just like practice."

SynchroSk8r114
05-07-2007, 07:20 AM
As far as the Novice test, I prepared for the test by starting my practice off by doing the entire test in "test mode" - complete the whole pattern even if I make mistakes, take very short breaks in between patterns, patterns in order, do a "reskate" if I screw a pattern up, etc.

Great tip about finishing a pattern even with mistakes. I coach a student who, in the middle of a "practice test run-through" during her lesson, will skate up to me immediately after making a mistake and tell me "I put my foot down" or "I messed up." Yes! I know, I saw...but what does she plan on doing during the actual test? Skating up to the judges and telling them that?! To that I always use this analogy: "If you're driving down the road and you hit a pothole, do you stop the car? No, you keep going unless the tire falls off or something. So unless you're lying there bleeding or missing a limb, you need to get up and finish the move." Works everytime! ;)

Lenny2
05-07-2007, 09:14 AM
Another suggestion--Invite a judge to come to your rink during a practice session to watch your moves and comment and help you improve. Ask your coach if he/she knows any local judges who regularly work at your club's test sessions. They are usually more than happy to come it to work with skaters. This has many benefits. It will make you more comfortable if you talk with a judge up close and personal and have direct feedback on the things you need to improve. It will also help if this judge happens to end up on your panel during the next test session because he/she will be flattered that you asked for his/her assistance and took his/her advice.

Mrs Redboots
05-07-2007, 10:52 AM
Great tip about finishing a pattern even with mistakes. I coach a student who, in the middle of a "practice test run-through" during her lesson, will skate up to me immediately after making a mistake and tell me "I put my foot down" or "I messed up." Yes! I know, I saw...but what does she plan on doing during the actual test? Skating up to the judges and telling them that?! To that I always use this analogy: "If you're driving down the road and you hit a pothole, do you stop the car? No, you keep going unless the tire falls off or something. So unless you're lying there bleeding or missing a limb, you need to get up and finish the move." Works everytime! ;)

Plus the judges don't always spot your goof! We once did a mega goof in a knockout competition - I forget what we actually did, but we were doing a Dutch Waltz and I know we made a mistake - but we still got through to the second round, much to our surprise. Proof positive that the judges don't see everything! So if you goof, carry on. Okay, if you fall down, the judges are going to see that, but (in the UK at any rate) you can try an element twice during the test and then as a reskate at the end, if need be. But in your programme, if you fall, just get up and carry on as you would in competition - chances are it won't have affected your score, or if you're within a scrape of passing the judge will just ask you to reskate that particular element, possibly with the linking steps.

The judges actually want to pass you! When we failed our last tests, the judges (a different one in each case) said "Oh, I'm really sorry.....".

emma
05-08-2007, 10:49 AM
I also am working on Novice moves and they are so much harder than past moves. I had no problems with moves and passed all of them through intermediate in 13 months. Then I hit novice moves and it is like hitting a wall. It is a hugh step up in difficulty from Intermediate moves. This is the test most people take more than once. Even kids who have never failed a test tend to fail this one at least once. As far as people at the rink knowing that you have failed I bet they feel your pain so to speak. People at our rink are so supportive when people have to retest because they all have either been there or will be in the same position at some point in there testing. We have someone who is on her 6th try at a test but she keeps trying and she will pass!!!!! Hang in there.

saras
05-08-2007, 04:26 PM
I also am working on Novice moves and they are so much harder than past moves. I had no problems with moves and passed all of them through intermediate in 13 months. Then I hit novice moves and it is like hitting a wall. It is a hugh step up in difficulty from Intermediate moves. This is the test most people take more than once. Even kids who have never failed a test tend to fail this one at least once. As far as people at the rink knowing that you have failed I bet they feel your pain so to speak. People at our rink are so supportive when people have to retest because they all have either been there or will be in the same position at some point in there testing. We have someone who is on her 6th try at a test but she keeps trying and she will pass!!!!! Hang in there.

Yeah - you know - all a "retry" on a test means is that you can do better - which is ALWAYS true no matter how well you skate!!!

For me, the Adult Gold MIF test is the one that was a bugger - it took me three tries to pass it. The first time my skate was borderline and I probably didn't deserve a pass. The second time I put out a good skate but the judges weren't as generous as they can be - I still think I probably deserved to pass but heck, I didn't. The third time was a solid skate too (probably not quite as good as the second time) and I passed.

About a month after passing the Gold MIF test, I passed the Int MIF test on the first try (I had been working on both tests simultaneously). Then it took me a year and a half to master the Novice MIF elements - I had a solid *great* skate for that test I passed them on the first try by way over the passing minimum and by all three judges. That skate is one of my personal highlights - it's not that I think I skated better than I usually could that night, but that I pulled it all together and just plain skated well.

Keys for any MIF test to some extent, but particularly the Novice MIF test are:

*EXUDE confidence. I mean, just go out there DRIPPING with attitude - skate each move with your head held high, and finish with a little flair thing "see, I can so TOO do that well". This is a particularly hard thing for me - I'm a 43 year old adult skater, and this test was not only hard technically, but I had a high level of the usual thoughts of not doing it quite as quickly/powerfully as kids.

*go into it prepared. This test in particular is not one that tends to be passed when folks are close but not quite. Be comfortable with each element, at least most of time time. I had 2 elements that were less solid than all the rest - but by that I mean these 2 elements were probably borderline passing (some judges would pass me, others wouldn't), but all the rest were way over passing even on not a great skating day.

*always remember to breathe, and always remember to bend your knees.

*And focus, focus, focus - take each element one at a time, do it, wipe it from your brain, and move on to the next.

And as with any test, if you don't get a pass, just try again. ALL it means is that you can skate a little better. Everyone can always skate a little better.

And know that once you pass, you move on to the next even harder set of moves and you'll be frustrated and inept for a while :) There's something really fun about being close to ready and ready to test: You're GOOD. So just go show it.