View Full Version : Help I Know Nothing

littlekateskate
05-05-2007, 03:31 PM
I read through these posts and people are talking about all different types of things. I even read my daughters skill lists and have no idea what things are!

Is there any good recommendations of websites or books to help me learn the basics... Thanks

dbny
05-05-2007, 03:40 PM
Don Korte has an amazing web site (http://www.sk8stuff.com/m_basic.htm) that explains everything, but be prepared, because there is sooo much. It's going to take you time. If there are any specific skills you would like to know about now, please feel free to ask. You could start with the skills in your daughter's list.

mandypants
05-05-2007, 09:57 PM
Hi, I'm new here (not really..have been a lurker for a while) and this is my first post. I LOVE Don Korte's site! I think it's the most comprehensive figure skating site around. Good luck, everything can be overwhelming at first with skating but soon you'll feel a lot more comfortable. :)

Logan3
05-05-2007, 10:12 PM
Ha, I was clueless for at least 2 years. I knew the moves because I skate myself but I had no idea about skating clubs, testing, competition etc. I learned by asking around, browsing the net and talking with my daughter's coach. Still learning and making mistakes !
Written descriptions of moves are lengthy and hard to visualize unless you are experienced. Do you have skating friends? They can show you in few minutes most of the basic moves!

Sylvia
05-05-2007, 10:14 PM
Is there any good recommendations of websites or books to help me learn the basics... Thanks
I recommend checking out SkateWeb's "Frequently-asked questions (FAQs) and general reference" links at: http://www.frogsonice.com/skateweb/reference.shtml

Mrs Redboots
05-06-2007, 06:36 AM
Actually, the most up-to-date version of the FAQ is here (http://home.pacbell.net/anamga/).

Another idea would be to take a few lessons yourself, so you are at least familiar with some of the concepts your daughter is learning. Who knows - you may end up skating long after she's lost interest (we did!).

Isk8NYC
05-06-2007, 07:22 AM
If you look at the two "On Ice" forums, there are sticky threads labeled "References." In those threads you'll find links to testing levels for both ISI and USFSA programs. (I wish someone would add the SkateCanada and NISA links; ISA would be nice, too.)

If your child skates in an ISI program, you should buy the "Skaters and Coaches Handbook." That book contains all the requirements for each test level with descriptions of each maneuver.

For the USFSA Basic Skills program, there is a small "Instructors Manual" that also contains tests, maneuvers, and descriptions. I don't know if you can buy it from the USFSA - if you ask the skating school director, they might let you have one for a token price.

Welcome Mandypants! (Great name, btw.)

CanadianAdult
05-06-2007, 11:03 AM
Actually, the most up-to-date version of the FAQ is here (http://home.pacbell.net/anamga/).

Another idea would be to take a few lessons yourself

Yes! Do it!

I'm still apparently learning how to do crossovers correctly, never mind how many tests I've passed. Some of the nomenclature is instructor or program unique, eg, my bubbles are Mrs. Redboots lemons but it's called sculling, and power pulls can be leg pulls or one footed slaloms. And, what's the difference between crossover, crosscut, cross step and cross roll? Wait, what's a progressive? Heee, having fun yet!??

Although I have all the Skate Canada manuals, my favourite book for a quick look up (ie, which foot goes where) is Petkevitch's (http://tinyurl.com/yoexrq) because it spends a lot of time on stroking and basic edges.

SynchroSk8r114
05-06-2007, 07:45 PM
I'd also recommend Don Korte's site for a general reference. I've been skating for almost 13 years and my mom who has come to nearly every one of my practices until I was old enough to drive myself to the rink still has no idea what some of the jumps, spins, etc. are. After all these years, if we're watching skating on TV, she still finds herself asking me "What was that?" She thinks everything's an axel, haha! ;)

Give it time, watch your daughter carefully and listen when she talks about struggling/doing well with a certain move. You'll eventually pick up the skater lingo and be able to distinguish between an axel, loop, and lutz.

Lenny2
05-07-2007, 09:17 AM
Kristi Yamaguchi's book "Figure Skating for Dummies" (one of those yellow and black handbooks) is really an excellent starting point for people new to figure skating. You can usually find it at Borders, Barnes and Noble, or Amazon.

xxcharxx
05-11-2007, 11:00 AM
to be honest i skate and my parents dont either i come on this forum as some of the parents ask quetoins that could be ansewd by a younger skater in there daughters/sons point of veiw anyway i dont mind that they dont know illl come home and telll them how it went and they get realy excited wen they see me as what ive said means nothing to them but at the end of every lesson one of them come to wattch they dont need to know it all they appritiat its hard and stand by me at my pase not theres and i wouldnt change that its how i like it

Isk8NYC
05-11-2007, 11:10 AM
I've "translated" xxcharxx's post into a more readable form because what xxcharxx wrote was so sweet and wise, I wanted to share it with everyone.
To be honest, I skate and my parents don't. I come on this forum as some of the parents ask questions that could be answered by a younger skater in their daughters/sons point of view. Anyway, I don't mind that they don't know. I'll come home and tell them how it went, and they get really excited when they see me as what I've said means nothing to them. But, at the end of every lesson one of them comes to watch. They don't need to know it all. They appreciate that it's hard and stand by me at my pace, not theirs. I wouldn't change -- that's how I like it.

Scarlett
05-11-2007, 07:59 PM
Thanks for translating...that was really sweet. I think I will go call my Mom and I'm an adult.

Tennisany1
05-12-2007, 07:42 PM
Thanks for translating.

I guess that why I spend so much time back and forth to the rink and ballet. I know my dd really appreciates it and I can see how much she loves to skate.

Gee, I've got tears in my eyes!