View Full Version : Major brag!

Logan3
05-05-2007, 02:22 PM
ok feel free to roll eyes but I had to share this one....
My dd had her weekly group class in freestlyle and the head coach came to talk to me. She wanted to know if I have an idea of how much talented my dd is and she suggested for us to check so and so elite club. She was confident that so and so elite coach will accept her. She praised my dd so much I was blushing! Don't you love it when this happens?
My dd goes to competitions and I ve seen aplenty of talented girls. Actually most of the skaters I meet are talented so please do not take me wrong. I am just try to enjoy the moment!!!!!

peanutskates
05-05-2007, 02:30 PM
congratulations to your daughter and you!
enjoy the moment :) and I guess since this coach is recommending another coach and not themselves, they must be truthful! (it could be a different story if they're trying to advertise private lessons/etc with themselves and saying how talented the child is...)

littlekateskate
05-05-2007, 03:28 PM
Yes Congratulations!! There is no better feeling than any compliment on our children.

That is an awesome coach to refer you to someone else! What a truly wonderful person he must be.

dbny
05-05-2007, 03:42 PM
Congratulations. I'm a little confused though. I've never heard of a figure skating club that is exclusive. Most clubs welcome everyone who can pay, as there is never enough money for what they want to do. So far as a coach accepting a student, yes, there are some coaches who have a very full plate and can be quite selective in the students they take.

dooobedooo
05-05-2007, 04:27 PM
That's fantastic news. And ... is this a good opportunity to get some advice from the head coach on how to fund your daughter's skating ....? If she is really that talented, there should be somebody out there who wants to help her/you out financially to maximise her potential ...

Logan3
05-05-2007, 09:47 PM
thank you all for you nice words!
This elite club is not exclusive. It is "elite" because it has a few students that make it to the nationals every year. The so and so coach though is exclusive and only works with serious students that he thinks they can make it.

To clarify things I do not think my dd is *that* talented. She is very focused and attentive and I bet coaches like that. I think the head coach was making sure that I understand what kind of coaching someone needs in order to be an advanced competitor.

And no funding for her level. That's ok. We made peace by accepting that. The testing curve is fine and a lot of challenge anyway. Plenty of competitions and she needs to learn not to get confused in strange rinks !