View Full Version : Axel help please :)

*JennaD*
05-05-2007, 01:15 PM
hey guys

lol I am FINALLY almost landing my axel ...but I have a problem kinda standing in the way of htis...lol
dooes anyone have any tips on how to not cheat the axel on the entry? because I tend to rotate too much before I even jump!

Thanks guys! best of luck with everyone's skating!

doubletoe
05-06-2007, 09:02 PM
Imagine the back outside edge you are gliding on (before you step out onto your takeoff edge) is part of a big circle. When you step onto your takeoff edge, make sure you push OUT, so that your takeof edge takes you outside of the circle, rather than staying on the circle. As you do this, make sure your chest is pushed out over your takeoff knee and keep your right shoulder pulled way back until it's time to take off (assuming you take off from your left foot). When you don't keep the right shoulder pulled back, it starts to come forward and make your edge curl.
As for checking out, make sure you lift the knee of your free leg in the air, rather than keeping it tightly crossed at the ankle. Do a few backspins and notice that when you are nicely balanced, your free leg knee is a little lifted.

SynchroSk8r114
05-06-2007, 09:13 PM
One way to not cheat the take off is to use your free leg to power yourself through the jump. That will also help create some height and make it easier for you to land quicker. Also, make sure you lead with your left shoulder (if your right-handed) and keep your right shoulder back. Letting the right side go creates a cheat, too. For the landing, try and work on lifting your leg before taking it back. But primarily, really take off from your toe completely and use your free leg's knee for some lift. Good luck!