View Full Version : What to do with ...

Isk8NYC
05-04-2007, 08:59 AM
What to do with old medals and trophies? It's a dilemma - I really loved earning them, as do my kids, but we have way too many for one family. Some of the kids' trophies are "participation" tokens from teams - they're not for winning a swim race/meet or skating competition.

I have them boxed up right now, but I'd really like to do something memorable with them and/or give them away.

Any suggestions?

flo
05-04-2007, 11:11 AM
Something my friend did with all her favorite sporting event tickets was to lay them all out in a collage and frame it. With the medals, how about hanging them on a curtain rod for a fun valance for somewhere you and the kids will see? I used one medal as a door knocker strike. The knocker itself is a small skate blade. I have a few of mine hanging from an old blade I mounted to the back of a door. Others are hanging on a door, and I have the nats medals in frames with a photo from the event, or hanging on the corner of the frames.

Kay
05-04-2007, 11:14 AM
As far as organization goes, when I was younger, my Dad took a piece of doweling and two hooks to make a rod across the wall, and the he hung all of my medals on it. He stapled the ribbons (hidden at the back) that the medals hang from so that all of the medals hung at the same length, and it looked very organized and pretty impressive. I have tried to illustrate this below, I hope it works out... Anyway, we fit about twenty-five to thirty medals on each piece of doweling, so you can make one for each child, and depending on how many you are organizing, further separate them by sport or participation, etc. Depending on the layout of your house, you could create the "Wall of Fame" in perhaps your family room, and hang medals, graduation pictures, certificates and plaques from all of your family members on the same wall. We did that in our house and it is a really neat wall to have.

On a personal note, I have to say I would hesitate to get rid of them just yet: those are tokens of childhood that your children or you may want some day. We still have all of my Mom's and my Dad's old trophies, and they are really neat to still have all these years later. Best of luck!

. _________________________________
. \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ /
. O O O O O O O O

Summerkid710
05-04-2007, 11:40 AM
I have a friend who made Christmas ornaments out of her medals.

3skatekiddos
05-04-2007, 12:25 PM
Take a picture of each medal and then start a scrapbook. So on each page you could have a picture of the medal, pictures from that event and a little story to go with it. Each family member can have their own book.
Less dusting that way too :)

Mrs Redboots
05-04-2007, 12:30 PM
I use any cups, etc (at least, the ones that are ours to keep - some have to go back after a year) to put pot-pourri in. Which idea I got off a skater friend.

samba
05-04-2007, 12:37 PM
When we did a Dracula show number, I made my partners medal out of one of my old medals and stuck a fruit gum in the middle :lol: it was very effective.