View Full Version : Good luck thoughts for Sunday 5/6

Mainemom
05-04-2007, 07:43 AM
My DD is testing Prelimary FS and MIF this Sunday and is so worried that she won't pass, although her coach says she is ready. The other girls she skates with have all passed and she is afraid of being the only one who hasn't, particularly as there is one girl who probably will crow about it. She can test again in August, but she is so hoping that she won't have to go through the whole summer with the rest of her group working on Pre-Juv moves and her being still stuck on Prelim.

So please, all you great skating folks out there, send her (and me, let's be honest) good vibes this Sunday morning!

Thanks so much!

jskater49
05-04-2007, 08:09 AM
Good luck to DD. She'll do fine if her coach says she's ready - and prelim they still are not quite as tough on them. But at pre-juv she will need to be prepared to maybe not pass the first time. It can be nice to have a group to motivate each other, but it can be a killer when some are faster or slower than others. My daughter has failed her novice moves 3 times and neither my coach or I can get her to even talk about trying again.

Good thoughts sent your way!

j

Isk8NYC
05-04-2007, 08:17 AM
Good test vibes headin' north. I'm sure she'll be fine.

peanutskates
05-04-2007, 11:28 AM
ref: crow girl

hah, I have 3 of those just waiting for me to trip up so they can laugh. my friend from skating has 2 evil crows too. tell your DD to relax and skate for herself, not for these other girls. if she fails something, tell her to relax and think "it's not a big deal, it's just a little test". i must say, this technique really helped me in a comp where I was a lawyer in a mock magistrates court. anyway:

tell her to try and enjoy it, remember why she skates and to have confidence in her coach, if they believe she can pass. and if this other girl has any reason at all to crow at your DD, just IGNORE IT. at least, that's what I did, before I overtook the evil crows and now they're just really jealous. she shouldn't skate to impress the girls. she should skate for HERSELF.

Petlover
05-07-2007, 10:50 AM
How did she do?

Mainemom
05-07-2007, 01:12 PM
She passed! Not only did she pass, but the judges gave her very nice comments too. She was beyond thrilled as now the whole summer is open to work on things she really wants to improve, like her back sit spin, and new things like finally learning her axel.

We went out-of-state to the rink where my sister-in-law coaches and my family skates (there aren't a lot of test sessions in Maine!) which was a fantastic experience! The best part for her was not being with any skaters she knew so she could just focus on what she had to do, and not worry about if so and so had failed and was upset or when they were testing or anything other than her own test. There was a lot less pressure, I guess, being where no one knows you. I definitely think we'll do this again even though it meant a lot of driving for the weekend!

WannabeS8r
05-07-2007, 06:00 PM
Is your daughter planning to compete at Preliminary, as well? Congratulations to her for passing!

twokidsskatemom
05-07-2007, 07:40 PM
Glad she passed !!My daughter is taking her prelim moves on the 19th and my son his pre pre moves.They are waiting on taking the fs test:)

Mrs Redboots
05-08-2007, 09:38 AM
Congratulations to her!

Petlover
05-08-2007, 11:35 AM
Mainemom, give your daughter a high five and congrats for me!!! You are a great mom and made a wise choice to ensure her comfort level.

Twokidsskatemom, best of luck, and let us know how it goes.

Mainemom
05-08-2007, 12:20 PM
At the one big Open that we go to, she'll have to compete at either the Preliminary level or Restricted Pre-Juv. She won't have a chance as the competition is fierce at this level, but she'll be in several other events too, Compulsory Spins, Compulsory Moves, Team Moves and Showcase, so she'll have lots of opportunity to skate. And to be honest, I think Showcase is the only one she really cares about as it allows her personality to really shine through. Thanks to all for your kind words. I've been sharing them with her.

twokidsskatemom
05-08-2007, 01:11 PM
Mainemom, give your daughter a high five and congrats for me!!! You are a great mom and made a wise choice to ensure her comfort level.

Twokidsskatemom, best of luck, and let us know how it goes.
Thanks very much !! We arent worried, they are both well prepared !!My daughter is waiting for a clean double sal before doing her fs.
:)