View Full Version : Epiphany: Don't fight the ice

FallDownGoBoom
05-03-2007, 08:12 PM
Blimey. I've been off the ice for a month, a combination of long hours at work and a particularly dreadful cold. Lessoned this morning, finally, and came to a realization during the warm-up:

The ice isn't my enemy.
Let IT move ME.
Float.

It all went so much smoother today -- and was so much more enjoyable -- when I softened my lines. I had power and control (well, as much power and control one can have at this stage) but not stiffness.

Do you have moments like this, particularly when you return from a longish break? When something suddenly clicks? Something you weren't even aware you were fighting, or mangling, or misinterpreting?

It was a nice skate. It's good to be back.

doubletoe
05-03-2007, 10:07 PM
I also just came back from 2 weeks off the ice (which feels like a long time to me!!). I think there is always a benefit to "rediscovering" the ice. We forget how good it feels to glide, and we forget that it is a blessing just to have the opportunity to do it, regardless of whether or not we manage to execute all our elements or moves perfectly that day. Loving the ice always makes us skate better! :)

blackmanskating
05-04-2007, 03:30 PM
Yeah you know what? Skating is really funny like that. My coach decided to take a break from jumping and spinning and work on my basic skating. We worked on improving speed, posture and flow. We did this for a week straight. I did no jumping of any kind. My speed and control improved quite a bit during this time. I went back to jumping and landed my double loop for the first time. I mean how crazy is that? And I was thinking that I was going to have to start all over again because I hadn't jumped in a while. Even my backspin improved. It's always been pretty fast, but I had a hard time checking out of it. I checked out of it smoother than I ever have been able to do. Sometimes the best way to improve an element is to take a break from it. LOL How ironic is that?? :roll: All I kept thinking was, "Man, it's good to be jumping again."

BlackManSkating

Mrs Redboots
05-05-2007, 04:36 AM
My coach decided to take a break from jumping and spinning and work on my basic skating. We worked on improving speed, posture and flow. We did this for a week straight. I did no jumping of any kind. My speed and control improved quite a bit during this time. I went back to jumping and landed my double loop for the first time. I mean how crazy is that? Not at all crazy - the foundation of all good skating is your basic skating skills, and you really should be working on them even more than you work on the "tricks" of jumps and spins. When your basic skating improves, your jumps improve - end of!

NCSkater02
05-05-2007, 07:33 AM
When my soon-to-be EH told me he wanted a divorce (out of the blue) I was so distressed that I was off ice for about 10 days or so. When I got back on--some 13 pounds lighter--just simply stroking around the rink was soothing and peaceful. I felt like I was in heaven. Nothing new clicked that day, but I did learn how much skating means to me.

I periodically take a break of a week or so, and come back totally refreshed and ready to learn again, once my feet relearn what boots are and stop aching. Usually something clicks that day, too.

Sessy
05-05-2007, 11:08 AM
Yeah, usually if I take a week off, a number of things click. Like the brain needed to process stuff or something.

Nothing new clicks after these 5 month summer breaks we have in the netherlands though!

Thin-Ice
05-07-2007, 03:03 AM
I think not-working-on elements or not-skating gives our bodies a chance to forget bad habits.. and just rely on the good technique our coaches have tried to force into us!

Sessy
05-07-2007, 03:07 AM
Back when I was playing the piano, my teacher would make me stop playing certain pieces for about a month when she said I'd "overpracticed" them. It takes the sloppyness out of anything you do, leaving the technique drilled in.

Sonic
05-07-2007, 04:00 AM
I also just came back from 2 weeks off the ice (which feels like a long time to me!!). I think there is always a benefit to "rediscovering" the ice. We forget how good it feels to glide, and we forget that it is a blessing just to have the opportunity to do it, regardless of whether or not we manage to execute all our elements or moves perfectly that day. Loving the ice always makes us skate better! :)

Yup, can definately relate to that one!

When I stop obsessing about how bad my elements are/how much better everyone else is yadda yadda yadda, and just enjoy skating, everything seems to work much better...

S xxx