View Full Version : How old were you when you first started competing?

FSWer
05-03-2007, 04:22 PM
Say,how old were all you skaters who post here when you first started competing?

kateskate
05-03-2007, 04:32 PM
I started competing at 22! Started skating at 21 and did my first adult comp at Bracknell a year later. And I won! Beginner's luck! That was free skating only

I started dance about 6 months after starting free skating so again when I was 21 but did my first dance competition at 24.

doubletoe
05-03-2007, 04:41 PM
I was only 38. :D

xofivebyfive
05-03-2007, 05:18 PM
Uh, I'm going to say 16.

BatikatII
05-03-2007, 05:23 PM
I was only 38. :D

hey me too!

Actually it was a horrible experience at a strange rink with 18 skaters ranging from no test (including me) to level 5 in dance. Not surprisingly I came about 15th but was just happy to have not actually been last.

It was extremely traumatic and I'm not sure why I ever agreed to compete again but I'm glad I did having since won several medals (including golds - Yay!!!):D

kateskate
05-03-2007, 05:45 PM
It was extremely traumatic and I'm not sure why I ever agreed to compete again but I'm glad I did having since won several medals (including golds - Yay!!!):D

I'm the same. My first competition made me feel ill and I was wishing days before that something would happen so I wouldn't have to skate. But I'm glad I did.

BatikatII
05-03-2007, 05:50 PM
I'm the same. My first competition made me feel ill and I was wishing days before that something would happen so I wouldn't have to skate. But I'm glad I did.

I feel like that before almost every competition but the year it actually did happen (slipped disc type thing), I was absolutely devastated.

I still wonder every time why I'm putting myself through it but I guess it's enjoyable in a masochistic sort of way - and you can't beat the joy of winning a medal when it happens.

kateskate
05-03-2007, 05:54 PM
I feel like that before almost every competition but the year it actually did happen (slipped disc type thing), I was absolutely devastated.

I still wonder every time why I'm putting myself through it but I guess it's enjoyable in a masochistic sort of way - and you can't beat the joy of winning a medal when it happens.

Yeah I make myself do it because I know I like it, but before every competition I never want to skate. If anyone was nearby at the BAC last year they would have heard me saying I wanted to go home and not skate!

flying~camel
05-03-2007, 06:18 PM
I was 13 when I first competed as a kid in ISI Delta (I got 1st place!) and 24 for my 1st competition after returning to skating in Pre-Pre (I got last place).

chowskates
05-03-2007, 06:26 PM
I started competing at 22! Started skating at 21 and did my first adult comp at Bracknell a year later. And I won! Beginner's luck! That was free skating only

I started dance about 6 months after starting free skating so again when I was 21 but did my first dance competition at 24.

Me too - my first competition was when I was 22.

It was the inter-collegiate competitions in the US, and at that time the lowest level was Intermediate! Boy was I intimidated :P

I was really nervous the first comp, and completely screwed up my program, but at the second competition I came in 2nd. That was a thrill!

jskater49
05-03-2007, 07:31 PM
I was 43. My daughter was 11. We both competed for the first time at the same competition.

I skated before my daughter did. She took a few learn to skate lessons a year from the time she was six. But then my coach talked me into competing and she said "why don't you ask your daughter if she wants to compete" My daughter wasn't even taking private lessons. She competed in basic 5 and she came in second and she was hooked. That summer she passed pre-pre and started competing even though she didn't even have a sit spin and got creamed for the first year. Talk about sandbagging - pre-pre is terrible for that.

j

herniated
05-03-2007, 08:15 PM
I think I was 29, now I'm 43. The first time I performed (not a competition) I was also 29 at my rinks holiday show and I got totally disoriented and didn't remember if I did all of my elements!:lol: There was a spotlight too. It was comical actually!:lol:

Morgail
05-03-2007, 08:27 PM
I was about 11 and competed in ISI Freestyle 1. I was scared to death and I placed somewhere near the bottom. I remember my music though - it was Tara's Theme from Gone With the Wind. Oh, and I had a royal blue dress with pretty silver sequin patterns that my mom sewed on for me:)

TimDavidSkate
05-03-2007, 08:48 PM
16 yrs old - Mid Atlantics - Pre-Prelim - September 1996

jazzpants
05-03-2007, 09:20 PM
It was 2001 so 33... almost 34!!! :lol:

Rusty Blades
05-04-2007, 02:56 AM
I was 57 and my first competition was the Canadian Adult Championships (just 6 weeks ago) - I told my coach I was going to start at the top and work my way DOWN! LOL!

Mrs Redboots
05-04-2007, 04:25 AM
Yeah I make myself do it because I know I like it, but before every competition I never want to skate. If anyone was nearby at the BAC last year they would have heard me saying I wanted to go home and not skate!We all do. We sit in the changing-rooms and go "Why did we think this was a good idea?"

But we know quite well that as soon as one competition finishes, we'll be eagerly awaiting the next. And I don't know about you, but I find that as soon as I step on the ice, well, yes, this is what it's all about. I love the adrenaline rush, and the cheers, and - when it happens - skating really well. Of course it's awful when you skate badly, or when the judges don't agree with you that you skated really well.... but even still.

To answer FSWer's question, I think I must have been 45 when I first competed.

liya_skatergirl
05-04-2007, 04:41 AM
I haven't joined any yet. But my coach and I are discussing about joining a competition this august since skate asia is going to be held here, in the Philippines anyway. So when i return to the rink, I'll be working my way through my first program.

Bill_S
05-04-2007, 08:36 AM
Like Rusty I was 57 in my first competition. It wasn't a full program, just a team skills event where I had to do a waltz jump and a scratch spin for our team.

Unlike Rusty, I started at the very bottom of the competition heirarchy and will have to work myself up much higher to really count as a competitor.

BatikatII
05-04-2007, 08:42 AM
Yeah I make myself do it because I know I like it, but before every competition I never want to skate. If anyone was nearby at the BAC last year they would have heard me saying I wanted to go home and not skate!

Yep I said that at BAC too - in part though, because my family seemed to have always placed exactly where we were drawn, almost every time we skated. It was uncanny! And I'd been drawn last but 1, 8O :giveup: - I thought it wouldn't be worth going out there at all. I did in the end and won bronze of 8! So happy to have broken the 'draw=placing' spell!!!:lol:

Isk8NYC
05-04-2007, 09:04 AM
My very first skating competition was when I was 18, just a in-house thing - skate to whatever's on the loudspeaker. Outside. In a light rain. I wore jeans and a woolen sweater with these HUGE mittens and a pair of cheap vinyl skates from Herman's Sporting Goods. I think I was 3/3. My niece also skated and she took first place. The local paper printed a picture of the winner - you could see me hunched over on a bad spiral in the background. LOL

aussieskater
05-04-2007, 06:02 PM
I was 40 (I think...*waits while counts on fingers*), and a bit like Rusty - straight to the top, as my first and to date only comp was nationals. The truth of the matter is that up to last year, adult syhcnro only had one comp a year and that was the adult synchro division of our regular nationals. We came third (as in last), so I am the proud owner of a real live national bronze medal...and just as proud of the fact that I managed to remain vertical. :lol: :lol:

(off topic - the word around the traps is that the powers that be are considering removing adult synchro from the regular nationals and for next year establishing a second "nationals", which will include all adult divisions, maybe solo dance, and non-ISU ranked divisions (ie: below novice). I really hope this comes off as to date the adults have had nowhere to go.)

(back on topic) My next comp will be the little local Coffee Club solo dance comp in a few weeks - Canasta. DH will be doing it too. Our coach has told me in no uncertain terms that when it's my turn, she plans to push me onto the ice, slam the gate behind me, and guard it to make sure I don't run off. (Can you tell I don't really want to do it?? :P )

coskater64
05-04-2007, 06:20 PM
I know I competed as a child, open-preliminary and juvenile and then open intermediate all between the ages of 14-18. Then again at 37 as an adult in silver ladies. I've done much better as an adult than as a chlld.:lol:

sceptique
05-04-2007, 06:30 PM
It was 2001 so 33... almost 34!!! :lol:

same - 33.............

Raye
05-04-2007, 07:20 PM
I was two months short of my 50th birthday, and had been back to skating for just under a year at the time. It was a positive experience and now I have turned into a big 'competition junkie' :halo:

Beccapoo2003
05-04-2007, 08:37 PM
41 in an interp, and got last !! :lol:
Becca

mikawendy
05-04-2007, 09:32 PM
30, in freestyle at Halloween Classic a few years ago

jazzpants
05-05-2007, 12:23 AM
41 in an interp, and got last !! :lol:
BeccaHard to believe, given how much I LOVE your streaker program! :lol: :bow:

Cheers,
jazzpants, who is rethinking now about whether she wants to resurrect her Enya program... been thinking of going more ROCK AND ROLL lately!!! 8-)

techskater
05-05-2007, 05:01 AM
Hard to believe, given how much I LOVE your streaker program! :lol: :bow:

Cheers,
jazzpants, who is rethinking now about whether she wants to resurrect her Enya program... been thinking of going more ROCK AND ROLL lately!!! 8-)

And you don't even remember the Jaws program, then, Jazz! :bow:

NCSkater02
05-05-2007, 07:38 AM
I was 39--I turned 40 the next week. I came in 4/5 and 5/6--exactly where I should have been.

coskater64
05-05-2007, 09:50 AM
I still remember skating against becca at AN's in 2002 and being the skater directly before her, she was in this very strange outfit and after I finished my "girl from impenema" she came out...it was a great program. I think becca must have made several laps of the rinks with champange in tow. It was very fun! One of the reasons I still skate are fun memories like that!

:lol:

PattyP
05-05-2007, 10:13 AM
I was just 2 weeks short of my 35th birthday. I competed at ISI FS 1.

I loved it. I get very nervous, nauseous but for some sick reason I enjoy all of it. I've probably competed almost 100 times since.

JazzySkate
05-05-2007, 11:43 AM
First competition at 44; was sooooo nervous I completely forgot my Artistic program, the rink seemed to expand because naturally you're out there alone, LOL - but went with the music. Don't ask how I did it. Not to brag: 1st place.

fmh
05-05-2007, 09:35 PM
9! heh I was cute and wore a hot pink dress. I happened to be in the biggest catagory in the competition. that was the first and last time I was happy with sixth or lower :P (my catagories now usually only have about 6)

FSWer
05-06-2007, 11:33 AM
9! heh I was cute and wore a hot pink dress. I happened to be in the biggest catagory in the competition. that was the first and last time I was happy with sixth or lower :P (my catagories now usually only have about 6)

Coooooooooool!!!!!!!!

SynchroSk8r114
05-06-2007, 03:00 PM
Began competing when I was 9. Skated competitively until I was 13...won some regionals when I was younger, but eventually got tired of the pressure and stress. I was never a really "competitive" child. Oddly enough, I'm back to competing a little bit now that I skate on an intercollegiate team at my university. Just competed Intermediate freestyle about two months ago and found it was a little less stressful than when I was younger. Competiting on my synchronized skating team has helped tremendously with nerves. It's so much better competing when you have 9 other girls out there with you sharing the ups and downs.

looplover
05-06-2007, 03:22 PM
My first one was on my 39th birthday last year, made for an interesting birthday! I was petrified though. Have only had one since.

Mrs Redboots
05-07-2007, 10:37 AM
FSWer - when are we going to get you on the ice????

sk8er1964
05-07-2007, 11:30 AM
FSWer - when are we going to get you on the ice????

FSWer is a skater! :bow: 8-)

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=45784

Mrs Redboots
05-08-2007, 09:30 AM
Excellent! Good on you, Dana!

southernsk8er
05-08-2007, 12:24 PM
I'm 28 and skating in my first competition on June 1st. Am completely terrified!

Mel On Ice
05-08-2007, 03:08 PM
I was just 2 weeks short of my 35th birthday. I competed at ISI FS 1.

I loved it. I get very nervous, nauseous but for some sick reason I enjoy all of it. I've probably competed almost 100 times since.

PattyP, you're my hero!

For me, it was 2001 Grand Rapids Open. I must have been 31 at the time.

I did a lunge, a one foot spin, a waltz-tap toe-waltz, "footwork" (i.e., outside to inside back edges), half lutz-toe, spiral, falling leaf, salchow-waltz 3-salchow-waltz jump-waltz jump-salchow... oh, I'd better stop, 2 foot spin. I came in 8th out of 9. I thought I was speeding along like Kwan when reality was I was a bundle of nerves tripping on my toepicks, wrapped too tightly in stretch black velvet.

jazzpants
05-08-2007, 03:13 PM
And you don't even remember the Jaws program, then, Jazz! :bow:
Heard about it... still haven't seen it, even on video yet... :?? (Becca, you gotta put your vids on YouTube, myspace or something so we could all watch!!!) :lol:

Sonic
05-09-2007, 03:26 AM
I was 32, it was a Spin spiral jump competition. I came 1st out of 3, which was a real shock because I toe-picked myself at the last minute and went flat on my face.:lol:

S xxx