View Full Version : Sandbagging Notice

Isk8NYC
05-03-2007, 12:25 PM
It's interesting, the things you come across when you're not looking for them...
http://www.isiasia.org/isiasia/document/SandbaggingNotice.doc

Very well-written and clear, I thought. For those who aren't familiar with the ISI levels, Pre-Alpha/Alpha/Beta/Gamma/Delta/Freestyle is the order of progression in ISI tests.

ISI Asia has their act together - they're the group that provided the online dance step sequence video, too.

flutzilla1
05-03-2007, 12:41 PM
It's interesting, the things you come across when you're not looking for them...
http://www.isiasia.org/isiasia/document/SandbaggingNotice.doc

Very well-written and clear, I thought. For those who aren't familiar with the ISI levels, Pre-Alpha/Alpha/Beta/Gamma/Delta/Freestyle is the order of progression in ISI tests.

I thought so too. I wish we had one for adult events in USFSA as well!

Isk8NYC
05-03-2007, 01:11 PM
I learned these "rules" from the ISI, and I apply them to USFSA Basic Skills comps. The skater competes at the highest test passed, regardless of what items they're working on in lessons. (Kids always want to go one higher, parents one lower. LOL) For example: there's a Mazurka in Basic 8, the kid can't do it to save her life, therefore she belongs in Basic 7. If she's just a little shaky, she belongs in Basic 8.

I got nailed on my first competition as a coach by the opposite of sandbagging. A new (to me) student had missed several sessions of my LTS group lesson because of illness. Her mother showed up without her AFTER the ice was cleared and gave me the entry form. I couldn't picture the kid or her skating, so I went by my class test sheet. The kid came in last (out of 3 or 4) and the mother went ballistic, yelling at me and the skating director.

Since then, before I sign any competition form, I take a "cheat sheet" onto the ice with the skater, pseudo-test for 3 levels to see where they drop off, and make sure they know what level and elements they will be skating. Then, I tell the parent the same thing and hand 'em the cheat sheet with the test elements circled so they know what the kid has to practice.

Last time I received a complaint, it was for one of my group students whose PRIVATE coach guesstimated the wrong level. I was never even asked where she belonged. In fairness, I think the skater was put in two levels too high. There is a silver lining: she's now doing CORRECT mohawks in both directions since that's what cost her the competition. The mom complained to me that she was never taught that and I showed her my group lesson sheet that showed our going over it every week. I then mentioned that her dd tends to leave the ice for errands and potty breaks when we practice things she doesn't like doing....

Logan3
05-03-2007, 02:13 PM
In the competition application it is said that the judges can actually ask a skater to compete in a higher level if they think that the skater belongs there. Have you ever wittnessed that?? It would be confusing for the child and I do not wish it BUT it would be a great lesson for the coach (or the parent).

cathrl
05-03-2007, 04:47 PM
I've often thought that our system could do with a variant on that. "Congratulations, you've won the level 1 competition. That means that next time you have to compete level 2." Of course, they'll never implement it, because they'd lose out on test fees, and tests are well expensive over here.

jskater49
05-03-2007, 07:23 PM
I've often thought that our system could do with a variant on that. "Congratulations, you've won the level 1 competition. That means that next time you have to compete level 2." Of course, they'll never implement it, because they'd lose out on test fees, and tests are well expensive over here.

THat was my daughter's old coach's philosphy - if you won more than a few times it was time to move up. And she had one girl who was an excellent spinner and won spin events easily and she finally told her she couldn't do spins comps anymore because she wasn't learning anything. And if someone had an artistic that won more than a few times, it was time to retire it and do another one.

j

Mrs Redboots
05-04-2007, 04:00 AM

I believe that system is used in some parts of the world - I heard it was so in Russia. You win, or even place, in a competition - I think you're allowed to do it two or three times, but then you have to move up.

kateskate
05-04-2007, 04:03 AM
I believe that system is used in some parts of the world - I heard it was so in Russia. You win, or even place, in a competition - I think you're allowed to do it two or three times, but then you have to move up.

I like that idea! I do try to move up. I will be staying at the same level in dance this year though as I cannot get round the harder dances! But I usually do intend to move up the next year when I place at one level. I know some people don't as they like winning!

Mrs Redboots
05-04-2007, 04:12 AM
I like that idea! I try to do move up. I will be staying at the same level in dance this year though as I cannot get round the harder dances! But I do intend to move up the next year when I place at one level. I know some people don't as they like winning!

Indeed they do - but sometimes it's a great joy to compete against someone you're almost sure will beat you, because it's such an achievement if you can take even one judge. I know my husband feels that when he does solo dance against you and frbskate63 - he normally finishes behind you, sometimes well behind you if his timing goes pear-shaped, but does enjoy trying not to, and takes the occasional judge! I'm really sad that our most regular opposition as a couple is skating a level up this season, which we aren't ready to do - we could never beat them, but we did take an occasional dance off them and had enormous fun trying!