View Full Version : When to get new skates?

liya_skatergirl
05-03-2007, 07:35 AM
When do you know that it's time to change your skates? My skates are pretty low quality made in Korea, they're not really a known brand. I've been using them only for 4 months, but I don't feel they'll last any longer. Also, for all the teens, especially those who are just beginning... how do you tell your parents that you need new ones? mom and dad don't really understand how things go since I'm all alone when I go to the rink, and mom has only met my coach 3 times...

jskater49
05-03-2007, 08:16 AM
I'm not a teen, a mother of a teen. If my daughter tells me she needs new skates, I buy her new skates, in consultation with her coach. You, your coach and your parents need to sit down and have a frank discussion about how expensive skating is. You may not be able to afford everything you would like for skating, like lessons and ice time. But you really cannot compromise with skates. You must have good skates. We were lucky for a long time we were in a club and were able to buy used skates others had outgrown before they were broken down. You could check that out. But you really need your coach's advise about what kind of skates you need for where you are in your skating.

You need to show your parents that this is important enough to you that you will make other sacrifices and do without other things kids your age have so that you can skate.

Good luck

j

Isk8NYC
05-03-2007, 08:28 AM
You need to show your parents that this is important enough to you that you will make other sacrifices and do without other things kids your age have so that you can skate.
You can cheap out on skating clothes, ice time, even lessons, but jskater's absolutely correct: skates are the one thing you SHOULDN'T skimp on in skating. You don't need top-of-the-line (and wallet) skates, but good, quality skates are necessary. If they're too tight on your feet, it's time for new skates before you get hurt.

Make sure you always put away your skates properly and keep them clean. It shows your parents that you'll take care of your skates, essential for really good skates.

Talk to your coach to get some ideas of what skates you need and if she'll break the bad news. There are plenty of threads on this Board that will help, too. Ask if the rink/club has a "skate swap" program. See if the pro shop has a sale - many do at this time of the year. Try to get an idea of what the cost will be to your parents.

Then, just discuss it with your parents as jskater explained. One good thing about good leather skates is that they can be stretched to fit for a few months longer once they start getting tight. Can't really do that with the lower-quality skates - they'd pop a seam.

Good luck!

flo
05-03-2007, 09:06 AM
Like Isk8NYC said there are opportunities to get a pair of used skates in good condition. Skate swaps, e-bay and some of the skating web pages have postings. After you discuss this with your parents and coach, let your friends know you're looking. Good luck. May I ask where you are?

Sessy
05-03-2007, 11:46 AM
Mom bought me risport etoiles. She also paid for new blades when mine got bent - I took the opportunity to upgrade to Coronation Ace. However, new boots are coming out of my own wallet. Fair enough as far as I'm concerned. I take inventory for a job - get up at about 3 in the morning (because you've got to take inventory while a shop is closed on sundays), work 12 hours plus on a day - earn around 150 dollar (I get 10 euro's per hour). Taxes take some off, but essentially it only takes a few days of work for me to get new boots. But then, I'm 21. It's different when you're 12.

However, maybe you could talk to your parents. They could pay this pair - as you need skates right away - and you'll start working and saving for a new pair? Or ask for it as an early birthday gift or maybe for good school grades?

peanutskates
05-03-2007, 02:26 PM
hi liya. I'm 14 and I am getting new skates in about 3 weeks. (yay!) my parents always said that if it got to the point when my coach said that I need new skates or I'm not going to go anywhere, they'd buy me some. So it has come to that point. but apparently I have to buy new boots and blades myself. Go figure...

anyway, I don't mind this, however, if you want to mellow your parents on the cost, offer to add to the cost, or start helping round the house a LOT. work out an arrangement. but definitely don't compromise on quality.

Helen88
05-03-2007, 02:46 PM
Well I can't really help you on when to get new skates, but how to ask your parents for new ones...I don't. I had to save for a year to get my first pair (Belati Classics), and I'm determined to make them last as long as possible. And as I don't have a private coach...I'm stumped:frus:.

liya_skatergirl
05-03-2007, 05:20 PM
hey guys, thanks for the replies. I live in the Philippines by the way, and that's why I have big trouble buying skates since they are super expensive here (go figure... those that cost about $70 there go at around $200 here!) that's why I have trouble asking help from my parents.

I recently was able to fit Riedell Yellow Ribbon 110's at size 8 and was able to find the same model, same brand, same size on skatebuys.com for $73.40 (incl shipping) compared to what my coach is selling me at roughly $190. I would have the money to completely pay for the $73 but if I buy from my coach, I doubt I would be able to purchase them.

What do you guys think?

jcookie1982
05-03-2007, 06:04 PM
try ebay. I'm sure you could fing the same skates for much cheaper.

liya_skatergirl
05-03-2007, 06:21 PM
i did. unfortunately, they don't ship to my country :(

doubletoe
05-03-2007, 10:21 PM
If you don't feel like the skates are supporting your jump landings, or that your ankles are feeling wobbly, it is important that you get new skates. You only have one pair of ankles and one pair of feet for the next 80 years or so, so you need to make sure you don't injure them by wearing broken down skates. I'm sure your parents love you and don't want you to break an ankle. Tell your coach and have your coach tell your parents that you really do need new boots. If you can find used ones that are still stiff and that fit you well, great. But if they are a little too roomy or a little tight, DO NOT get them. Many foot and joint problems are caused by boots that don't fit right.

peanutskates
05-04-2007, 01:45 AM
I'd say, if the skates you mention feel good and you're think they're going to last you a few good years, then definitely buy them from skatebuys! why pay more if you can pay less? just make sure that these are the right skates for you. you don't want to shell out $70 only to find you need new skates again.

CanAmSk8ter
05-06-2007, 08:37 AM
What kind of things are you doing on the ice? Yellow Ribbon is a very low-end Riedell that I usually only recommend to very young beginners. A skater over 40-50 pounds will have it broken down in no time, especially if they're doing more than marching, gliding, and swizzles. Unless you're really just starting out and you're very small for your age, I don't think Yellow Ribbons will last you very long at all. I'd try to find Blue Ribbons in your price range somewhere.

SynchroSk8r114
05-06-2007, 03:22 PM
When my feet were still growing, I found I needed new skates around the same time each year. My feet would feel like pins and needles if I was in them too long. Now that my feet have stopped growing, I've been in a pair of custom Harlicks that have lasted my 10 years, no kidding - despite doing double jumps, synchro skating, dance, and coaching in them. I love my Harlicks so much that I am just got another custom pair ordered. Expensive as anything, but totally worth the comfort and wear I get out of them!

cathrl
05-07-2007, 04:06 AM
liya, if you see a pair of skates you want on the internet and your country isn't mentioned as somewhere the person ships to, provided they don't say something sweeping like "I don't post internationally" it's probably worth emailing them, explaining your situation, and asking politely if they would consider it (maybe you could find out for them if there are any special requirements for posting parcels to you, such as the layout of the address). The worst that can happen is that they say no, and they might be happy to do so for you. A lot of people are wary about selling abroad because they think they might be scammed, but I doubt ice skates are a big scam item :)

Good luck!

CanAmSk8ter
05-08-2007, 01:54 PM
I agree, when I first started selling on ebay I listed myself as shipping to USA and Canada only, just because... well, I'm not sure why. A woman in Norway emailed me saying she was interested in one of my old dresses and that she had a hard time finding skating stuff for her girls in Norway, and would I consider shipping to Europe? She pointed out that the cost to me didn't increase at all, so I figured, why not? I'll ship pretty much anywhere now.