View Full Version : Who here skates for fun,and who is a competitor?

FSWer
05-02-2007, 10:07 PM
Say,I was just wondering what majority of us here skate for fun,and who is a competitor? As well as who skates for fun,but wants to compete someday.

jazzpants
05-03-2007, 12:57 AM
What? I can check the first TWO radio boxes at the same time!?!?! 8O :P :lol:

I do compete but I compete for fun!!! :lol: Just want to see how far I get along in my skating and just enjoying the journey of my training for it. :D

samba
05-03-2007, 01:08 AM
Like Jazzpants I tick both boxes for fun and competition, I tell myself I wouldnt compete if I didnt enjoy it but if you saw me on the day you wouldnt believe me :roll: , I get so scared!!! I think the fun of competition for me is more about meeting other adult skaters from around the country.

sunjoy
05-03-2007, 01:58 AM
two reasons I may eventually compete: it's a validation of having achieved a certain level of skating (kindof like testing, but more ego-stoking); and second, to put on an expressive performance. And I will likely skate to something like a nine inch nails instrumental (or song, if it's in an ISI category) -- that's just the kind of music that makes sense to me.

I'm definitely not interested in competing in figure skating in order to place well. Not my thing.

Sonic
05-03-2007, 02:36 AM
I'm with Jazzpants and Samba.

I would say I compete to skate, not skate compete.

S xx

Rusty Blades
05-03-2007, 03:46 AM
I'm with Jazz! I like the challenge of simply trying to do elements well but competition brings focus and drive to my skating.

Sessy
05-03-2007, 04:06 AM
And I will likely skate to something like a nine inch nails instrumental (or song, if it's in an ISI category) -- that's just the kind of music that makes sense to me.

I wanna skate to some heavy metal myself, an instrumental song by Ariya, a Russian band (kind of like iron maiden). Probably the coach will say no to it (after all, they have to play that music in practice) and then it'll be something by Apocalyptica or maybe a particular piece from a musical.

Anyway if everything goes right I should be doing some more competitions this year, 2 tests (moves in the field (dutch) and free) and then I can compete for like, real. Against some people I know pretty well too, haha. That's gonna be fun.

I'm definately always in the game to win no matter what I do, but I enjoy the experience itself too. I just wouldn't see the point of skating if I never competed. What's the point of skating when you can't ever show it? That's like painting and never showing your paintings to anybody!!!

Besides, a large part of it for me is about the music. Music drives me, defines my movements even when I'm dancing to it at home. The type of music defines if I'm graceful, sexy (I've got some serious hip swing learned for latin dance, but only to the right type of music), energetic, or agressive.
So there's like... Well you know I've gotta have my music.

cathrl
05-03-2007, 05:06 AM
I skate because it's fun (and keeps me fit). I skate as much as I do because I'm at the rink with my kids anyway, and skating is much more fun than standing on the side. If my kids didn't skate...I'd be more of an occasional skater, and I probably wouldn't have started in the first place without them. And I really enjoy it when I manage something new, even if it is geological pace improvement.

I compete because I like dressing up and having the ice all to myself, and also because I'm someone who needs external motivation - I'd not practice unless I had a tangible, external goal (like making a **** of myself if I don't). I can't take it too seriously, though - if being good mattered to me, I wouldn't skate, because I'm not a talented skater and there are other things I do that I'm much better at.

jskater49
05-03-2007, 07:11 AM
I would say I compete for fun. Also I do better if I have a goal. For example, I signed up to compete in a jumps event and one of the jumps is a toe loop and that is what is helping me focus on working on the toe loop. If I didn't have a competition in a month I'd probably give up on that jump for a while.

When I compete, I just like being at the party. I like getting the goody bag, hanging out in the locker room, going to practice, standing at the door cheering the other skaters. Then it USED to be at the point where I had to go out and skate I would get terrified and ask myself WHY DID I AGREE TO DO THIS??? But I've conquered those nerves and now I like to hear my name being called on the intercom, I like having the ice to myself for a minute or so, I like to hear people cheer for me do a 3 revolution spin and a teeny tiny waltz jump. And heck if there's 3 people in my group and I get to take home a bronze medal, well that's a bonus. So is seeing that one judge put me second to last. But really the placings are a very small part of the competing for me.

Oh yea and the dresses.

j

southernsk8er
05-03-2007, 08:39 AM
my first competition is at the end of the month. i'm already nervous. i haven't tested yet (test in 3 weeks), so i entered pre-bronze and am trying to tell myself it's no pressure. i'm just hoping to skate well and not be humiliated. and, like jskater, i'm excited about the dress!! :)

chowskates
05-03-2007, 09:06 AM
I'm with Jazzpants and Samba.

I would say I compete to skate, not skate compete.

S xx

This is why adult skaters are so much fun to be around - we skate because we want to, not because someone else wants us to! :D

jskater49
05-03-2007, 09:12 AM
This is why adult skaters are so much fun to be around - we skate because we want to, not because someone else wants us to! :D

I think that's not quite fair to kids who compete. All the kids I know compete because they want to and if they don't want to, their parents are perfectly happy not to schlep them to the competition and shell out the bucks.

J

chowskates
05-03-2007, 09:27 AM
I think that's not quite fair to kids who compete. All the kids I know compete because they want to and if they don't want to, their parents are perfectly happy not to schlep them to the competition and shell out the bucks.

J

You're right, Joelle.

I wasn't excluding the kids who want to do it, just making an extremely general sweeping statement about adult skaters. I do know a several kids who are skating because they want to, and it is a joy watching them!

Rusty Blades
05-03-2007, 09:32 AM
Have confidence Southern! My first-ever competition was the (Canadian) Adult Championships and I was petrified the week before the competition! 8O Absolutely terrified. When I got among the other adults I felt WAY better. When I stepped on to the ice for my event, I said to my competition coach "I am going to OWN this place for the next 5 minutes!" That is so unlike me but I guess that's what all the preparation (and supportive adults!) do for you!

Mrs Redboots
05-03-2007, 09:42 AM
I skate because it's fun and I compete because it's fun!

Petlover
05-03-2007, 09:52 AM
Skating and competing are both fun for me. What competing adds to my skating is allowing me to set tougher goals, and learn more new stuff. A lot of the elements and moves I have learned have been as a result of the choreography, otherwise I'm not sure coach would have thought to show them to me.

Mainemom
05-03-2007, 11:10 AM
I skate because it feels like flying, but it is such good exercise. I can't compete because my legs would just turn into jelly! I showed horses when I was younger and the only way I could get through that was that I was sitting down most of the time. The nerves would wear off after I was in the ring and doing what I needed to, but if I had to skate out into the middle of a rink.... I give such props to people (including DD) who can do that.

She skates because she is a total ham and LOVES to be at the center of attention in a show or exhibition. She hates having to practice edges and actually work at skating, but she loves doing the fun stuff and competitions, so she knows she has to do the work, too.

TimDavidSkate
05-03-2007, 01:25 PM
For me with skating I have to have a purpose :roll: I wish I can just skate for fun. If I dont have a competition or exhibition, I just dont see myself lutzing around or doing anything on the ice, I'll just be off to the side watching/coaching.

Isk8NYC
05-03-2007, 01:50 PM
The problem with online polls and surveys is that they're hard to design in advance.
Many of our skaters TEST, which isn't a category Dana put into the poll.

I am a former COMPETITIVE skater, who currently COACHES for a partial living, but skates for FUN and TESTS for challenge.

Tim - I can't imagine only skating because there's a show or competition coming up soon. I started seriously taking lessons and practicing this year and I was so ready for the skating show practices; much more than I was at this point last year.

I'm also ~35 lbs lighter because of the exercise MaineMom mentioned.

Helen88
05-03-2007, 02:50 PM
I just skate for fun, but I'd LOVE to compete one day. Step one is persuading my parents to get me a coach...

blackmanskating
05-03-2007, 03:42 PM
My motivation for skating has changed a few times over my 16 months time being on the ice. First, it was for exercise, then it was for exercise and fun. After watching a few skaters perform out on the ice, I realized that it is a great form of self expression. Now that I've invested so much time, energy, and money, I want to see how far I can go in this sport. Preparing for a competition makes me goal oriented and it affects almost every other aspect of my life outside of skating. It brings out the best in me. 8-) Most non-skaters don't understand, especially my parents.

BlackManSkating

cecealias
05-04-2007, 01:03 PM
Right now, I skate for fun but lots of people say I'm "really good" and should compete. With my schedule going crazy, its just not reasonable, regardless of the cost to compete or not. I just flew back from D.C. and then I'm going to take off in another week or so to Miami. Who knows, I might end up in New York or San Diego a few weeks after that. It's just not practical to try to fit things in for traveling to competitions in addition to all that. Skating is great, but there is more to life than just skating. Maybe eventually when I retire, lol.

Raye
05-04-2007, 04:05 PM
For me with skating I have to have a purpose :roll: I wish I can just skate for fun. If I dont have a competition or exhibition, I just dont see myself lutzing around or doing anything on the ice, I'll just be off to the side watching/coaching.

I hear you and I am the same way. I compete because I enjoy competing and if I didn't compete, I'd have nothing to work towards and would totally goof off and socialize more than I would practice. I love skating, but I am inherently lazy. The pressure of XX weeks till whatever is what keeps me focused.

doubletoe
05-04-2007, 04:36 PM
Right now, I skate for fun but lots of people say I'm "really good" and should compete. With my schedule going crazy, its just not reasonable, regardless of the cost to compete or not. I just flew back from D.C. and then I'm going to take off in another week or so to Miami. Who knows, I might end up in New York or San Diego a few weeks after that. It's just not practical to try to fit things in for traveling to competitions in addition to all that. Skating is great, but there is more to life than just skating. Maybe eventually when I retire, lol.

I can relate. I had to take 5 years off from skating because I was traveling so much for work (and often working late). It just wasn't possible to plan anything outside of my work life at the time. Now I got my priorities straight and got myself a job that doesn't require travel, so I can skate every morning before work, LOL! Unfortunately for me, I keep finding that there *isn't* more to life than skating. . . I go a week or to without ice and I go nuts! :lol:

WannabeS8r
05-04-2007, 04:57 PM
I skate for fun, though I plan on competing next fall. I've competed once before but that was a while ago in FS1 so I can't say that I am a "competitor". In my mind, a competitor has to enter at least four competitions or so each season. Right now I skate for fun and achieving my short term goals, but I do NOT think my up-coming axel attempt will feel all that fun. :twisted:

TimDavidSkate
05-04-2007, 07:21 PM
I hear you and I am the same way. I compete because I enjoy competing and if I didn't compete, I'd have nothing to work towards and would totally goof off and socialize more than I would practice. I love skating, but I am inherently lazy. The pressure of XX weeks till whatever is what keeps me focused.

Amen! are we related? :bow: 8-)

b viswanathan
05-04-2007, 08:44 PM
I skate for the sheer pleasure of it, and at this point am not looking to compete. I reserve the right to change my opinion, but for now I love how I'm working on my own, internally-set challenges.

I've done competitive stuff all my life. Right now, it's hugely satisfying not to be in any kind of place where I go up against others in any kind of evaluative way. That includes testing - I'm willing to wait a few years, if need be, to take another test.

I'm not finding it hard to set goals and stay focused on what I want to do. Working on FS elements, putting together a program that works for me, getting maximum benefit out of my ice time (in friendships, as well as in practice) are all great things to work on. I don't think competing would focus those energies in a positive way for me: it'd just make me nervous, worked up, and "other-directed".

I totally get why people compete: as I say, competing has taken me far in times past. But I'm trying to express why I think I, for one, enjoy skating at a pretty decent level without competing. It's often mystifying to competitors why anyone would choose to be "goal oriented" in skating but not try to measure one's success against others. I guess in the way I see it, not competing brings out the best in me!

Skate@Delaware
05-04-2007, 09:25 PM
I did not vote because I compete because it's fun! I skate because it's fun!

Maybe I'm weird.

TimDavidSkate
05-04-2007, 09:56 PM
When I started and didnt know anything about the sport and I felt so good with only having a waltz jump and a one foot spin. I miss those days where there was no pressure, now that I am so immersed with everything, its hard to enjoy practices. For me its just like going through a checklist on what to do.
Everytime I step on the ice, I :giveup: dont put any necessary detailed goals anymore, so I dont get to frustrated when I end up not accomplishing them. I just take one thing at a time :roll:

JazzySkate
05-05-2007, 11:34 AM
Hi! I've lurked most than posted - great thread!

I skate both for fun and as a competitor: for fun because I love hearing different music while skating and interpreting it on the spot, and to compete -not with the sole purpose of beating someone else and/or grabbing a medal but because I love expressing my program, and selling it to the audience - and I block the judges out(!)

jskater49
05-05-2007, 11:48 AM
I totally get why people compete: as I say, competing has taken me far in times past. But I'm trying to express why I think I, for one, enjoy skating at a pretty decent level without competing. It's often mystifying to competitors why anyone would choose to be "goal oriented" in skating but not try to measure one's success against others. I guess in the way I see it, not competing brings out the best in me!

I get what you are saying..but want to clairfy that when I say I compete as a way to give me a goal it really has nothing to do with measuring my success against others. It's pretty much a given I will come in last...for me, it's just that by this date, I need to have my program together enough to present it. That's what motivates me. Even the one time I won, it was fun to say I had a gold medal, but I could tell before we even started, after seeing my competitor skate, that I would probably win if I didn't psych myself out and screw up. Beating someone that is obviously not as good as me is not particularly satisfying. Skating well under pressure is.

j
j

Mrs Redboots
05-05-2007, 02:54 PM
I skate for the sheer pleasure of it, and at this point am not looking to compete. I reserve the right to change my opinion, but for now I love how I'm working on my own, internally-set challenges.
Fair enough! It's not for everybody, I do agree.

I have a problem this year, though, in my solo work, as I'm not working for either a test or a competition solo, and I am very unmotivated to practice. Part of the problem is not knowing what to practice, but I discussed this with my coach last lesson and he gave me a practice regime. Which I haven't been able to implement as I haven't been very well since then.

looplover
05-05-2007, 05:08 PM
Skating and competing are both fun for me. What competing adds to my skating is allowing me to set tougher goals, and learn more new stuff. A lot of the elements and moves I have learned have been as a result of the choreography, otherwise I'm not sure coach would have thought to show them to me.

That's a good way to look at it - that's how I'm feeling about it too, it's all part of the challenge!

b viswanathan
05-07-2007, 12:51 PM
jskater,

From everything I've read that you've written here, you have a great attitude toward skating and improving your own skills. I'm impressed that you like to put that into a competitive setting, and would really like to be able to do the same - maybe someday. I think "pressure testing" your skating can be a very productive (and maybe instructive) next step. When I get more confident on ice, I hope to try it. And yeah, not to measure against others - I know you can understand what I'm saying - but to find the kind of satisfaction you describe...

I get what you are saying..but want to clairfy that when I say I compete as a way to give me a goal it really has nothing to do with measuring my success against others. It's pretty much a given I will come in last...for me, it's just that by this date, I need to have my program together enough to present it. That's what motivates me. Even the one time I won, it was fun to say I had a gold medal, but I could tell before we even started, after seeing my competitor skate, that I would probably win if I didn't psych myself out and screw up. Beating someone that is obviously not as good as me is not particularly satisfying. Skating well under pressure is.

j
j

SynchroSk8r114
05-07-2007, 01:01 PM
I skate more to test (USFS). I used to compete about 8 years ago, but quick to spend more time on preparing to pass my USFS tests. Recently, I've been getting back into competitive skating between my university's intercollegiate and synchro team.

b viswanathan
05-07-2007, 02:10 PM
I skate more to test (USFS). I used to compete about 8 years ago, but quick to spend more time on preparing to pass my USFS tests. Recently, I've been getting back into competitive skating between my university's intercollegiate and synchro team.

Synchro,
I've always wondered what it was like to skate for an intercollegiate team (I went to college before they were common, and my school didn't have one). Is it fun? How does it work - do you compete individually, and then total the scores up for the team? Is there a good place to follow intercoll. FS online? Does your school have a big team? Is it very competitive?

I'm just curious...

SynchroSk8r114
05-07-2007, 02:23 PM
Synchro,
I've always wondered what it was like to skate for an intercollegiate team (I went to college before they were common, and my school didn't have one). Is it fun? How does it work - do you compete individually, and then total the scores up for the team? Is there a good place to follow intercoll. FS online? Does your school have a big team? Is it very competitive?

I'm just curious...

I absolutely love skating on an intercollegiate team! It's great to have all these other skaters there to share the ups and downs of the sport with you. Because everyone is also in school, we are able to relate better to each other in regards to the everyday stresses of college, homework, skating, etc. And I've made some great friends in the process! :D

My team is fairly new - we formed in Oct. 2006, so we are not very big yet. We just competed in our first intercollegiate competition at Boston Univeristy this past February where we placed 5th out of the 17 colleges and universities there. We were up against some pretty competitive schools with some talent skaters (Dartmouth, Cornell, U of Delaware, etc.), so we were thrilled to come out in 5th place! We're hoping to compete in more competitions this coming seasons and we'd really like to make it to Nationals, but we'll see...;)

You got it right about the points and all. With intercollegiate skating, points are awarded for each placement (1st gets 5 pts., 2nd gets 4 pts., and so on...) Individual points are tallied up for each team and combined to determine the final placements. There are also manuever teams that can earn team points. (Our high manuever team took 4th place at the Boston U competition, as well!)

I'm not sure where the best place to follow intercollegiate skating is. I know the USFS has some good links, but nothing too in depth at: http://www.usfigureskating.org/Programs.asp?id=89

I know just googling "intercollegiate skating" pulls up a lot of results though.

jskater49
05-08-2007, 08:14 AM
jskater,

From everything I've read that you've written here, you have a great attitude toward skating and improving your own skills. I'm impressed that you like to put that into a competitive setting, and would really like to be able to do the same - maybe someday. I think "pressure testing" your skating can be a very productive (and maybe instructive) next step. When I get more confident on ice, I hope to try it. And yeah, not to measure against others - I know you can understand what I'm saying - but to find the kind of satisfaction you describe...

Thanks...I actually think it's easier for me to compete, knowing I'm not really competitive...if I ever got good enough to actually be competive, it might be different. But I doubt I ever will be, because if I ever can pass the bronze fs, I probably will go for, l'd rather pass the test than wait till I'm competivie at that level.

j