View Full Version : For Those Who Wear Knee Pads

dbny
04-27-2007, 08:35 PM
From two experiences with SkatingSafe, I gather they think skaters wear only one knee pad, and they sell them singly. In my latest experience, a local store offered to order them for me. SkatingSafe somehow talked the owner into ordering only one size large, which is the size I want. I think that's pretty weird, as I have two knees and need to protect them both. Now I have to wait another week for the other knee pad to arrive.

CaraSkates
04-27-2007, 08:45 PM
I wear kneepads on both knees. I don't wear them that often...but I will be wearing them Tueday for my lesson on axels and 2sals. I have the knee pads from discountdance.com ($9). I thought they would be a good way to try knee pads and see if I like them before I invenst in the skatingsafe ones. I've only worn them a couple times. They kept my knees feeling warm the whole session, I can take them off with my skates on (even though they have no velcro) and they are not bulky so I can still spin and cross my legs with them on.

tidesong
04-27-2007, 10:56 PM
I bought volley ball knee guards which I wear occasionally (usually after I hurt my knee and still want to skate) and they come in pairs so I wear both knees.

Kelli
04-30-2007, 02:46 PM
Well first of all, why not just order directly from SkatingSafe?

I use my knee pad to protect a specific knee injury. The injury is only on one knee. I wear the knee pad any time I am on the ice, whether practice, a lesson, or testing. If you're just wearing it for general padding, you probably don't need the $$$ pads from SkatingSafe ($kating$afe?), and can get away with cheaper alternatives sold in pairs. The SkatingSafe pads are effective and mostly unnoticeable under tights, but there may be other options out there that suit your needs as well.

TreSk8sAZ
04-30-2007, 04:48 PM
I only wear one kneepad, and I only wear it when I've been working on jumps and repeatedly fallen on the same place. I've had surgery on the knee three times, and it tends to bruise more easily (don't know why) so I try to prevent further injury. It really doesn't happen with my other leg, so I just use the one. I use the SkatingSafe pad and it does just enough, while not showing and still letting me move freely.

SynchroSk8r114
05-06-2007, 02:15 PM
Haha, funny topic. I used to be addicted to my knee pads for fear of hurting my knees, even though when I rarely hit them when I fall. Anyway, I have really skinny legs and my knee caps stick out enough as it is, so my dance coach actually made me stop wearing them for dance because she could not tell if I was actually straightening my legs on my American Waltz when I wore them. The best part is, the one day I did not wear my knee pads, my coach says to me, "Are you wearing your knee pads? I was watching you before I got on the ice and all I could think was 'I really hope she's wearing knee pads...'." Sadly, I was not...yeah, I was just not straightening my legs that much on the American. Haha, I love my knee pads! :lol:

dbny
05-06-2007, 03:21 PM
Well first of all, why not just order directly from SkatingSafe?

I use my knee pad to protect a specific knee injury. The injury is only on one knee. I wear the knee pad any time I am on the ice, whether practice, a lesson, or testing. If you're just wearing it for general padding, you probably don't need the $$$ pads from SkatingSafe ($kating$afe?), and can get away with cheaper alternatives sold in pairs. The SkatingSafe pads are effective and mostly unnoticeable under tights, but there may be other options out there that suit your needs as well.

I didn't order from SkatingSafe because the local store's owner is a friend/co-worker and I get a 10% professional discount. I've been using cheapo sporting goods store knee pads for years and they do the job, but my accountant told me I need more expenses against my income, so this year I'm splurging on the SkatingSafe pads and a few other items. I prefer the cheapo knee pads for teaching, because I can just pull up my pants and show them to my adult beginner students, saying "buy these and save yourself a lot of pain and injury". I'll wear the SkatingSafe pads for my own skating. I always wear knee pads on the ice because knee damage (like a lot of other injuries) is cumulative and at 60, I feel I'm just one good whack away from surgery. Thanks for responding to my survey.