View Full Version : Stamina Issues

cutiesk8r43
04-26-2007, 08:38 PM
Hey Everyone!
I have this problem. Everytime I do my program alot in a one hour session I feel like I am going to throw up and always gag. Sometimes I do throw up and it is not pleasant. I don't know why this happens to me but I don't think it is suppose to because no one at my rink goes through this. If this has happened to you what did you do to over come it? my coach thinks it has something to do with my stamina.
Just for background info: I skate 5 hours a week.

Thanks in advance :)

Hannah
04-26-2007, 09:05 PM
Do you get nervous while you are practicing? I just started a program (my first ever), and it is short and not particularly strenuous, but I get super shaky every time I run it through start to finish.

Have you tested your stamina? Try running, or skating hard for an hour. Are you exhausted when the gagging / throwing up happens? When I used to run x-country, the same thing you are describing would happen to me if I pushed too far past my stamina limit. Good luck solving this problem!

tidesong
04-26-2007, 09:40 PM
Yeah same here I always feel like throwing up when I push my stamina limit. It helps when I drink some water now and then. And if I have food the appropriate hours before skating and warm up properly it reduces the chance of me getting that. Also, usually the first couple times I get it worse but after that when my stamina improves (by doing those run throughs) it gets better. It probably would help if you attempt running long distance for an hour as hannah (even half hour will do me in so you can start from there first lol if you think an hour is too much or if you also get that throwing up feeling early)

jp1andOnly
04-26-2007, 10:10 PM
well, how many times in one session do you do your program? You say a lot, but that doesn't give a number. If you are doing it over and over and over, no wonder. You dont need to do whole run thrus over and over and over again. Do chunks of it, do footwork only, do spins only, do jumps only.

Hey Everyone!
I have this problem. Everytime I do my program alot in a one hour session I feel like I am going to throw up and always gag. Sometimes I do throw up and it is not pleasant. I don't know why this happens to me but I don't think it is suppose to because no one at my rink goes through this. If this has happened to you what did you do to over come it? my coach thinks it has something to do with my stamina.

coskater64
04-26-2007, 10:15 PM
Wow, I never get that and I train a 3.40 program, it sounds like dehydration to me...and throwing up is a warning sign. You should talk to a doctor. I use endurox and accelerade and mostly emergen-C to help keep hydrated they are available at most health food stores. They replenish essential nutrients that you lose through sweating, emergen-c also helps stop soreness. But again, I would talk to a doctor, that doesn't sound good.

newskaker5
04-26-2007, 10:51 PM
Dehydration tends to also come with dizziness, lightheadedness, shaking, etc - do you get any of that? I agree that drinking fluids and maybe an electrolyte drink will help. But I agree w/ everyone else that it is probably your stamina. I totally know that feeling when you dont have the stamina and push super hard, you feel like you will throw up. Our track coach actually told us if we didnt puke after a race we didnt try hard enough:roll: haha

I would suggest cardio training daily: endurance stroking, running, plyometrics, jump roping, etc. Also, best way to build stamina in my opinion is interval training- when jogging every 5th minute sprint as hard as you can for 1 minute, etc- really helps you be able to build up the staminia for a program

Morgail
04-26-2007, 11:04 PM
I got the same nauseous/about to throw up feeling when I first started taking a one-hour lesson & working on my program. Water is what helped me. I drink a 17 oz bottle of water during a one-hour lesson now, and I've not had that nauseous feeling since. Taking a drink of water also gives me a minute to catch my breath too:)

Sessy
04-27-2007, 03:13 AM
Eat 2 hours before a practice, not right before it. And avoid fat and protein rich foods before practice.

blackmanskating
04-27-2007, 03:40 PM
Hey Everyone!

I used to have the same problem. It got so bad that I almost lost it on the ice. 8O The Zamboni driver would've had his work cut out for him if I did. I train 5 days a week too. I started jogging and lifting weights after I skated. After about 2 months the symptoms went away and I eventually lost 30 pounds! Now I can skate for hours at a time. My experience seems to suggest that your coach is right. Talk to a doctor before you start working out and remember to stay hydrated. You'll solve the problem and lose weight at the same time. Before you know it, you'll be able to skate all day non-stop. :D Either way, you win. Now I sound like a Hyundai commercial. LOL

Sessy
04-28-2007, 02:16 AM
By the way. I thought of something last night but I don't have time to re-read the rest of the thread: did somebody already mention you might be short on salt, not on water?

WhisperSung
04-30-2007, 07:00 PM
I have a 3 minute program with a decent amount of doubles, and stamina is a HUGE issue for me. It was a bit surprising, because I had no problem getting through Intermediate's 2.5 minute program, but now that I'm trying to test my Novice Free, I feel like I'm dying. I try to do elliptical a few times a week, but I think part of it is nerves when I practice, too. I'm a bit shy, so even doing my program in practice ups my stress level. To top it off, I have asthma, so I have to remember to breathe properly or I start weezing. 8O

Elliptical helps me a bit. I run 22 minutes at a time with varying degrees of movement (quick, slow, backwards, forwards).

jenlyon60
04-30-2007, 07:33 PM
Try focusing on short cardio segments with minimal rest between. For example, do 3 minutes exercise bike at a good rate, then rest for a minute, then repeat.

Working partial recovery and anaerobic will help stamina for short-duration exercise (i.e. FS programs vice running a 1 mile or 5K race) better than long-duration cardio.

I have a 3 minute program with a decent amount of doubles, and stamina is a HUGE issue for me. It was a bit surprising, because I had no problem getting through Intermediate's 2.5 minute program, but now that I'm trying to test my Novice Free, I feel like I'm dying. I try to do elliptical a few times a week, but I think part of it is nerves when I practice, too. I'm a bit shy, so even doing my program in practice ups my stress level. To top it off, I have asthma, so I have to remember to breathe properly or I start weezing. 8O

Elliptical helps me a bit. I run 22 minutes at a time with varying degrees of movement (quick, slow, backwards, forwards).

Sessy
05-01-2007, 02:58 AM
Whisper, can't you get one of those tubes to breathe from before training? Though you'll probably have to go through a bunch of administrative procedures to get them to permit you to use it so it doesn't count as doping.

kander
05-01-2007, 06:55 PM
There are a copule of likely reasons for being quesy. The first is improper nutrition. You should eat a certain amount of food a couple hours before skating. The other is dehydration. Make sure you get plenty of water, especially if you sweat a lot. You might also try gatorade if your electrolytes are off. Doing cardio at the gym regularly would help train your body to deal with the stress.

Kevin

Emberchyld
05-01-2007, 08:40 PM
In our college karate class, the first things that we were warned about were:

1. Dehydration/overheating
2. If you eat before class, you will vomit

He then proceeded to show us the trash can and teach us how to cool our bodies down if we got overheated by putting our wrists under cold running water.

About two students a semester threw up within the first two classes. Why? Intense activity can really mess with your digestive track, especially if you're not used to that level of activity. Our sensei's rule was "no heavy or high fat foods for a few hours before class"-- because you want those foods to be digested before you start that heavy activity (in a more mild form, you might get heartburn, or just stomach upset, but usually that food wants to come out!)

I don't know your eating habits or your level of activity, but if you are eating anything heavy before a really intense freestyle session, I'd really be surprised if you weren't getting sick.

(also, remember the cold water on your wrists-- aka pulse points-- if you ever get lightheaded and stop sweating, get your body cooled down quickly!)

liya_skatergirl
05-02-2007, 12:57 AM
Since you think that it is a stamina issue, I hope this would help. Swimming has always been one of my sports, and it has helped me a whole lot through skating, especially when it comes to stamina. Do about 10 laps of the strokes then rest. Do not get yourself too tired at first. Slowly but surely increase the number of laps you do once you get used to it...

sunjoy
05-02-2007, 02:37 AM
or could it be dizziness? i used to get nauseous when I was learning to spin and spun too fast. I didn't really feel *dizzy* on the ice, except for a moment coming out of the spin, but by the end of the session I'd be feeling nausea.

i think your body eventually gets used to it, but until then, you might try spinning a bit slower.

Sessy
05-02-2007, 05:13 AM
That all together is the reason I have fruit before skating, and salty peanuts with water after skating.

cutiesk8r43
05-03-2007, 07:11 PM
thanks everyone!
sorry its taken me a long time to reply.

I dont get dizzy really its more weak and nausea.

I drink water (vitamin water) while im skating and it seems sometimes it makes it worse if i drink too much water.

how many times I do my program depends on if i have a lesson or not but usually no more than 4 times in an hour.

blackmanskating
05-03-2007, 07:18 PM
thanks everyone!
sorry its taken me a long time to reply.

I dont get dizzy really its more weak and nausea.

I drink water (vitamin water) while im skating and it seems sometimes it makes it worse if i drink too much water.

how many times I do my program depends on if i have a lesson or not but usually no more than 4 times in an hour.

Yeah I know what you mean. Continue to work out and exercise off the ice. You have to gradually work your way up to doing your program more than once like that. Doing a program can definitely take a lot out of you; alot more than you think.

BlackManSkating

herniated
05-03-2007, 07:37 PM
I reallythink you should check out your symptoms with a doctor. This used to happen to me and dehydration was a part of it. You said you drink 'vitamin water' . The vitamins in the water may be making you nauseous. I took calcium supplements and had to change the brand because they made me sick when I skated. But.... please check this out with a doctor it may not be stamina. I also have exercise induced asthma, that can make you want to vomit too.

blackmanskating
05-03-2007, 07:43 PM
I reallythink you should check out your symptoms with a doctor. This used to happen to me and dehydration was a part of it. You said you drink 'vitamin water' . The vitamins in the water may be making you nauseous. I took calcium supplements and had to change the brand because they made me sick when I skated. But.... please check this out with a doctor it may not be stamina. I also have exercise induced asthma, that can make you want to vomit too.

I agree!!! Something doesn't seem quite right.

peanutskates
05-04-2007, 01:50 AM
i sometimes think that regular water is underrated.
just try taking a bottle of normal water, no vitamins, flavours or gas. just water. it might be better for you.

Sessy
05-04-2007, 01:53 AM
Which reminds me, how many vitamin supplements do you stuff into your daily food? If you go over the recommended dosages, you risk iron poisoning and the like.

Emberchyld
05-04-2007, 11:27 AM

Definitely. For example, my sisters and I are all sensitive to ECEG (green tea extract) and I can't take any One A Days because I get nauseated every time I take one (I actually call it the "Bullemia pills"-- I take one and two seconds later it come back up again!).

SynchroSk8r114
05-17-2007, 01:29 PM
I wonder if this doesn't have something to do with your blood pressure...my younger sister used to get dizzy/nauseous all the time and feel like she was going to black out. After a while, the doctors finally diagnosed her with low blood pressure and she was put on a medicine to help with it. She eventually outgrew the problem, so...maybe this is what's happening to you.

Sessy
05-18-2007, 06:22 AM
I often have a low bloodpressure but I find skating increases it.

However, if you have a low bloodpressure you should feel better after a good can of energy drink or maybe two strong cups of coffee.

mikawendy
05-18-2007, 05:31 PM
Definitely. For example, my sisters and I are all sensitive to ECEG (green tea extract) and I can't take any One A Days because I get nauseated every time I take one (I actually call it the "Bullemia pills"-- I take one and two seconds later it come back up again!).

Funny, for me, I can take One A Days, but the Centrum brand makes me sick to my stomach!

doubletoe
05-18-2007, 06:14 PM
I agree that vitamins can sometimes make you feel sick. I was drinking that Vitamin Water at AN last month and after awhile it started making me feel just a little queasy. I normally drink a mixture of water and fruit juice when I'm practicing, and that keeps me hydrated as well as keeping my blood sugar up. I recommend half water and half grape juice (white grape juice if you want to avoid staining anything).

miraclegro
05-18-2007, 07:00 PM
What is Emergen-C for soreness? Where do you get it? Because i have that problem HUGELY!

vesperholly
05-19-2007, 02:03 AM
Is this a recent occurence? Have you been able to do your program before without feeling ill? How often are you doing your program? Do you get a good warmup AND cooldown, and rest between each time?

A few months ago, I started getting really nauseous when I was skating - I'd do two singles and want to barf and my heart was racing. :?? I've lost 50 lbs since last fall, so I thought maybe I was undereating. I went to the doctor and got some bloodwork and they found I have hyperthyroidism. They put me on atenolol, a high blood pressure medication, for the symptoms, and I have to see an endocrinologist.

CanAmSk8ter
05-21-2007, 11:29 AM
First of all, you didn't say how long your program is, but there's no reason to do four runthroughs in an hour. (That's the kind of crazy thing I would do, LOL). One full runthrough a day, two at most, is fine. The rest of the session, work on sections of the program (footwork, spiral sequence, etc.) and individual things (the jumps and spins). Even the elite skaters I've trained with would do, at most, three full runthroughs a day spread over two or three separate training sessions.

Also, a 17-oz. bottle of water in the space of an hour seems like a lot, unless your rink is extremely warm and you're sweating profusely. There's something called hyponatremia (I think that's right; it's alos called water intoxication) that occurs when you drink so much that your body's salt level actually gets too low. It's most common in distance runners who, in an effort to avoid dehydration, actually drink too much water, Gatorade, etc. I doubt you're actually going into hyponatremia, but if nothing else having that amount of liquid sloshing around in your stomach while you're skating could easily make you sick. I'd cut way back on the drinking during skating, other than a few sips right after your program, and drink after only if you're thirsty or have been sweating heavily.

blisspix
05-30-2007, 04:22 AM
Hey Everyone!

Throwing up in and of itself with strenuous aerobic exercise is not a bad thing, and is actually very common. I would be surprised if this happens to noone else at your rink.

However, it is not a good thing if it happens every time you skate - you may need to add in more cardio/off-ice stuff to build up your overall fitness levels, watch what you eat as others said. If you only skate 5 hours a week what do you do on the other days?

If you want more medical info, ask your doctor about 'exercise induced nausea'.