View Full Version : 2007 Spring and Summer Skating Goals

Isk8NYC
04-26-2007, 10:37 AM
What skating goals, if any, have you set for the "off season?"
What will you do to achieve those goals?

Bill_S
04-26-2007, 10:51 AM
Because we don't have ice now and it's a long drive to the nearest rink, I won't be skating much until September.

Therefore I have to vote for "Chill out", with an occasional trip to skate (when possible) to maintain some semblance of skill.

TimDavidSkate
04-26-2007, 11:09 AM
Prepare for a test = Im going to start preparing for my Gold Moves :halo: So I can be a gold level skater/competitor for the Fall of 2008

Refine basic skating techniques = I want to be faster on the ice with jump approaches

Learn a new maneuver = Frankly I am sick of my inside ena baur. I want to learn a spread eagle, get back my back hydroblading, and who knows what else (The competition for Silver next season will be TOUGH!!! 8O - the talent from AN in the bronze level is NO JOKE - and of course this year's as well. Plus, as always, somebody will come out of nowhere)

Develop a new skating program = As many programs I have, I will be working on revamping a planned, undebut program

Chill out = There are alot of things to do for me to prepare for next season, but my history is I always get burned out very easily. So I will take the appropriate time to chill out in between training.

Rusty Blades
04-26-2007, 11:18 AM
Oh my! I am much more ambitious than I thought - LOL!

Refine basic skating techniques, learn a new turn or step, learn a new maneuver, develop a new skating program, attend lessons 8O

Oh well, the joys of being a beginner - so much yet to learn! Having done my first Adult competition last month and passed my Pre-Introductory Interpretive, it's time to start putting together enough moves for Bronze Free Skate AND an Introductory Interpretive. (If that doesn't keep me off the street, nothing will! :giveup: )

Isk8NYC
04-26-2007, 11:34 AM
Don't forget: Set a goal, then think about what you'll do to achieve that goal.

For example:

GOAL: To pass Pre-Prel MITF and Freestyle tests this summer.

ACTIONS:
Keep taking MITF/FS lessons each week.
Take Ice Dance lessons each week. (Could be group or private)
Practice three times/week, doing MITF and FS runthroughs three times/session.
Add 30 minute off-ice warmup before practices.
(I like working in threes, LOL)

flo
04-26-2007, 12:31 PM
Get comfy with my new boots!!!! I was going to go to the adult workshop here, but it's been cancelled. :cry:

Debbie S
04-26-2007, 01:09 PM
Pass Silver MIF! (well, test them anyway...)

I'm on the fence about the Chesapeake Open (truthfully, I'm not sure I like competing, but it's my secondary club that is hosting it, and I do want to support it - I need to decide by next Sat) but I did sign up for my primary club's spring recital in 3 weeks, which will also provide a judge's critique. So my goal is to skate well and get positive feedback.

And maybe actually get my flip (clean, that is), lutz, and camel.

jazzpants
04-26-2007, 01:18 PM
One goal only: To prepare for my AN debut in 2008!!!

Okay what does THAT consists of? :P 1) Keeping my loop and flip consistent and build up to it well enough to put it in a program. 2) Get a lutz and a camel also. 3) Look like I have EDGES in my footwork. :twisted: :lol:

As for Silver Moves test... that's NEXT YEAR'S goals for me!!! I don't have a set timetable to work on them, though I am "playing around with them and occasionally have a lesson on them."

Chill Out? What's THAT!?!?! 8O :P :lol:

blackmanskating
04-26-2007, 01:49 PM
I'm relatively new to skating (15 months on the ice) so I have a lot of goals.

I want to test Silver Moves and Freestyle (this is the toughest goal for me right now)
I want to land my axel-double loop combo cleanly (I keep falling on the double)
I want to improve my flexibility
I want a lower sit spin
I want to improve my basic skating (flow, edges, transitions, speed)
I want to lose 10 more pounds

I believe that these are all attainable goals. The biggest goal will be preparing to make a debut at adult nationals in 2008. I have a lot of gaps to fill in. And I think I'll improve the best by increasing my training from 5 days to 6 days a week between on/off ice.

BlackManSkating

Isk8NYC
04-26-2007, 01:56 PM
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c127/Isk8NYC/Chillin.jpg

flo
04-26-2007, 01:57 PM
Debbie,
Is the Chesapeake Open being held this year with the rink closing? I thought it was cancelled, but perhaps they moved the date.

Skittl1321
04-26-2007, 01:58 PM
I'm relatively new to skating (15 months on the ice) so I have a lot of goals.

I want to test Silver Moves and Freestyle (this is the toughest goal for me right now)
I want to land my axel-double loop combo cleanly (I keep falling on the double)
I want to improve my flexibility
I want a lower sit spin
I want to improve my basic skating (flow, edges, transitions, speed)
I want to lose 10 more pounds

I believe that these are all attainable goals. The biggest goal will be preparing to make a debut at adult nationals in 2008. I have a lot of gaps to fill in. And I think I'll improve the best by increasing my training from 5 days to 6 days a week between on/off ice.

BlackManSkating

Um, WOW? I have just under 10 months on the ice (although 13 months since I first put skates on for lessons) and am just now thinking about pre-bronze moves!

Good luck!

Skittl1321
04-26-2007, 02:02 PM
Goal: I am going to prepare for Pre-bronze moves in the field

Actions-
Learn 3-turn pattern. Really really work on waltz eights. Actually practice crossover pattern and perimeter stroking pattern, rather than just quickly skate through them.

Goal: I am going to try to make my jumps look like jumps

Actions- Start skating into jumps. With the exception of the loop, I have been working on them long enough to not have to do them from a standstill, get over the fear! Also, no practice ends without doing each jump 5 times! No matter how much I don't like loops!

Goal: I am going to improve my forward spin and my backspin

Actions: Keep doing them! No more gliding into forward spins, have to do them from T-position or crossovers. Really concentrate on crossing foot. Backspin- really practice, must cross that foot!

blackmanskating
04-26-2007, 02:04 PM
Um, WOW? I have just under 10 months on the ice (although 13 months since I first put skates on for lessons) and am just now thinking about pre-bronze moves!

Good luck!

Thanks Jessi!!! I am still very nervous because I am still very green :mrgreen: when it comes to competition and testing. I have been working very hard, so I hope I can pull this off. But I appreciate the encouragement. It's so easy to get frustrated because you are not where you want to be. Instead I'm going to try and focus on how much progress I've made. I've always been a jumper. Now I am trying to get the rest of my skating on the same level as my jumping. My coach is very tough on me. :D

manleywoman
04-26-2007, 02:13 PM
I voted for:

Take a new test: I'm taking Senior MIF and my 3rd Figure.

New Maneuver: I'm trying to get my 2flip consistant. I landed my very first one on 12.05.06! But haven't landed one since February (sigh).

Chill out: I may take a break from competing for a year or two. I've done it for 10 years straight, and I'm tired. Especially after being cochair of the last ANs! But Lake Placid is nice...

icedancer2
04-26-2007, 02:15 PM
Darn - I didn't see the multiple choice part so I checked "get back to basics" because I think that's so important.

Mostly I just want to get back to skating and skating at the level I was approaching before I fractured/torqued my right foot. Need to build strength and get some confidence back before I can even attend a dance session, much less start working with my dance-coach again (I told him he'd have to hold me up!), get to working on Bronze Moves (so close to wanting to test before the injury), Silver figures (yes, still so important to all skating IMHO) and just getting in shape again.

phoenix
04-26-2007, 02:20 PM
I want to test my Killian again....hopefully pass it this time!!

To do that, I need to work on simple edges, but VERY deep & VERY fast, and be able to hold the knee bend through that. I'm starting by putting on the music & just doing the 1st half, focusing on getting those edges truer & really bringing them around.

I also want to get started on my Starlight, since my goal for the year was to pass 2 dances!! Doesn't leave me much time to get that one pulled together--we'll see.

Debbie S
04-26-2007, 02:33 PM
Debbie,
Is the Chesapeake Open being held this year with the rink closing? It's at The Gardens, same weekend.

FrankR
04-26-2007, 02:38 PM
I voted for:

Take a new test: I'm taking Senior MIF and my 3rd Figure.

New Maneuver: I'm trying to get my 2flip consistant. I landed my very first one on 12.05.06! But haven't landed one since February (sigh).

Chill out: I may take a break from competing for a year or two. I've done it for 10 years straight, and I'm tired. Especially after being cochair of the last ANs! But Lake Placid is nice...

Hi Allison,

I have a quick question since you mentioned testing figures. Are the figure diagrams posted anywhere on the USFS website? I've been searching for them on the site and nobody else can tell me where they are.

Thanks in advance for any help and thanks to you and the LOC. Adult nationals was great!

Frank

Isk8NYC
04-26-2007, 03:02 PM
Hi Allison,

I have a quick question since you mentioned testing figures. Are the figure diagrams posted anywhere on the USFS website? I've been searching for them on the site and nobody else can tell me where they are.

Thanks in advance for any help and thanks to you and the LOC. Adult nationals was great!

FrankI just updated a post (http://www.skatingforums.com/showpost.php?p=291299&postcount=1) about these figures patterns. They're available as a PDF from the USFSA - just send an email request. I think CAS might have them online under "Files."

FrankR
04-26-2007, 03:36 PM
I just updated a post (http://www.skatingforums.com/showpost.php?p=291299&postcount=1) about these figures patterns. They're available as a PDF from the USFSA - just send an email request. I think CAS might have them online under "Files."

Thanks so much for the link. I've been searching for something like this for a while. It's much appreciated. :)

sk8er1964
04-26-2007, 04:16 PM
I would like to take my novice moves this summer, finally.

I am also learning new stuff - like all of the contorted positions that you need for a level 4 spiral sequence (like lots of Gold skaters after AN). :lol: That, and how to change edges in spins, layover in camels, and twist my body body in unnatural ways in what passes for my sit spin. Oh, and how to count so that I hold the darn things for the required revolutions. This is going to take a LOT of work. 8O

Double sal? Who needs one - it'll just get downgraded anyways. :x (Although I will still be pursuing that ever elusive fully rotated and clean one this summer.) Together with more speed, bigger jumps, and generally skating like Michelle Kwan. (Ya right) ;)

Finally, we will be doing a new program in a more IJS friendly manner.

kateskate
04-26-2007, 04:51 PM
I ticked almost everything!

[]Prepare for a test = one I didn't tick - I've done a bunch of tests and next lot are way off so a break from tests for now.
[x]Refine basic skating techniques = always ongoing.
[]Take up Figures
[x]Learn a new turn or step = I want to be able to do decent FO rockers and counters (any edge or direction - not fussy), rocker-choctaws, double inside rockers
[x]Learn a new maneuver = does getting that darn axel to recognisable levels count? Work on ina bauers, spreads, spirals and variations of
[x]Develop a new skating program = want to do an artistic programme this year. And I also need a free dance for BAC
[x]Master a new dance (or refine an old one) = well foxtrot and 14 step and need a lot of work for BAC
[x]Attend lessons/classes/seminars/camps = going to Oberstdorf again for 2 weeks to skate - can't wait!!!!!!!
[x]Chill out = always have to have fun!

jskater49
04-26-2007, 05:30 PM
I would like to test my bronze moves this fall. Because nerves are such a factor and the only way I beat those nerves in dance and freestyle was by competing and there really aren't many moves competitions around here, I think I may just blow the money and test them before I feel confident I can pass...just to get passed those nerves. We'll see how it goes and what test sessions are available...I would want to wait until there's a chance I could pass...but still at the point where I can tell myself "you have nothing to lose, this test is just for practice and so don't plan on passing"

I'm hoping that working on my moves will get me comfortable enough with mohawks to work on the swing and learn the fiesta. I'm waiting until they have a master's solo dance standard to test though. And if that doesn't go through, I'm still waiting till I'm 50 to test with a partner ...

My short term goals are to prepare for a competition in June where I've entered freestyle, spins, compulsary and jumps. And one of the jumps is a toe loop. That should be, um amusing.

j

Stormy
04-26-2007, 06:23 PM
Well. I have too much to work on! I really need to start heavily working on Novice moves. I passed Intermediate two years ago, I just never really paid much attention to Novice and now I want to. :frus: They're tough!! I'm going to work on some part of the test every session I skate.

Have to get new program for Gold, and test Gold free later this year. My two doubles are loop and sal, and both are fairly decent, just have to clean up the loop a bit. Axel needs serious attention but I think by the time I test Gold it will be better than it is. Putting together a REAL IJS program is going to be a challenge. My Silver was was somewhat geared towards IJS, but Gold of course has to be. I'll be doing the same things skater1964 is.
Stupid fan spiral. :giveup:

Emberchyld
04-26-2007, 06:30 PM
Goal #1: Stop getting injured! (and I mean off-ice) so that I can actually skate

Goal #2: I'd love to do an interp... I have sooooooooo many ideas bursting in my head (thanks to waaaaay too many years of dance recitals and a ballet teacher who, twice a year, makes us work on choreography) and I'm dying to actually try them on the ice in front of other people!

Goal #3: Start really learning MITF. Really. Not picking it up by drips and drabs from various sources...

Michigansk8er
04-26-2007, 06:32 PM
I plan to be back on the ice in a few weeks and get that Foxtrot mohawk under control..........as well as the rest of the dance, but the mohawk is the major problem area at the moment. I'm also planning to start working on my gold moves (adult) again, and try to get my spins back. That should keep me busy.

Terri C
04-26-2007, 06:40 PM
This sprng, eh next month, I will be on The Mission From God:
PASS THE BRONZE FREESTYLE TEST!!!
This will be my fifth try, as I had taken and failed the test four times between January 2001/ 2002. I'm not allowing myself to think about those last four tries. I want to think that I've become a stronger skater since then.

techskater
04-26-2007, 07:49 PM
Holy cow, I clicked a whole bunch.

Other - Break in new skates
Take a test - Novice MIF anyone?
Refine basics - as always
Learn a new program - 2 actually. Music is cut for both FS and Interp and I am just ready to go and have a lot of ideas of what both have to contain for ME. I want to do most of the layout myself and have my coach clean it up.
Learn a new maneouver or element - since my coach just got back from TS school, L4 combo spin seems to be on my radar to be working on with the hope of settling in to a L2 or 3 for the season along with all the other "good" stuff for IJS trying to get everything beyond the jumps to L2 minimum. Also, a Masters Man friend of mine is helping me clean up my double toe loop (last 1/4 turn) which is finally going into the program. Double loop is the next one to clean up and get consistent. Also, land a couple more double flips past the 5 I landed between December and February.
Classes/camp/etc - we usually have a summer class with my coach on Monday nights, which I am hoping will continue this year.

cutiesk8r43
04-26-2007, 08:45 PM
My goals:

*Place in the top 4 at my upcoming competition.
*Have my double Salchow consistant by the end of the summer.
*Hopefully land another double or at least work on one.:)
*Test in Pre Juvenile Freestyle in the summer.
*Test the Swing Dance in the summer.
*Improve my layback and flying camel.
*Improve my footwork.

~these are alot of goals and I am hoping to achieve at least half of them.:D

Scarlett
04-26-2007, 09:24 PM
My skating goals for the summer:

*Consistently land all my singles up to the lutz
*Manage a consistent scratch and camel spin
*Begin working on a biellman spiral

edgygirl
04-26-2007, 09:26 PM
I'm pretty sure that by writing my goals out in a public place I may actually push myself to a little more achieve these goals... we'll see... Hopefully someone will bump this back to the top of the list and we can all celebrate how we went even further than we had hoped!

I started skating last August (no prior experience), so my summer goals are also my year's goals. Initially, I was obsessed and made great progress, but over time I slacked off. My summer goal is to fan my flame and really get going again. I want to get a decent flip and loop. I want to make my scratch spin pretty and get an acceptable back spin. I'm starting privates with a coach I'm very, very excited about:D , so I'm feeling positive! I'm thinking this will also help me strengthen my basics- I really want to "skate pretty" in generaland this seems to be his forte.

If I'm able to meet these- the next year's goals will include a program and competition. Yay!!

tidesong
04-26-2007, 09:34 PM
#1 -- stay injury free
#2 -- land my double loop
#3 -- get that double toe at least 50% consistent
#4 -- get that double salchow and axel 80% (strong landings) consistent!! :frus:
#5 -- increase speed across all spins and to get that consistent too
#6 -- get the beilmann spin
#7 -- make my I/split spin consistent
#8 -- make my change edge spins faster and more consistent
#9 -- continue working on edges, speed and power (try to join a stroking class)
#10 -- get that 3 second hold beilmann spiral consistent

Morgail
04-26-2007, 10:45 PM
Here are my goals:

-a 6-rev camel
-3-rev sit - 3-rev back sit
-3-rev camel - 3-rev sit
-a consistent lutz
-a flip-loop combination
-a consistent loop-loop combination
-power pulls that don't lose steam
-consistent back 3s without breaking at the waist
-no more hitting my toepicks on back cross rolls
-the ability to count the Canasta and the Rhythm Blues to any music, any time, even in my sleep

I'm hoping to test Silver Moves sometime next fall:) And retest the Canasta and Rhythm Blues.

Good luck to everyone!!

Sk8pdx
04-27-2007, 01:02 AM
I am going to take it easy this summer. I am no longer taking private lessons at this time but I do plan on taking a group jump and spin class for a month or two just to keep up on technique. :)

peanutskates
04-27-2007, 01:43 AM
pff, I miss 4 lessons now for Florida and also a competition I've got to do, and then another 6/7 lessons for the summer. It's so stupid!!! Although I will love going to Florida, and also to my grandparents for the summer, I'm going to miss skating soo much...

OTOH, I will dedicate the summer to working on my flexibility and strength. Every day, Maxiflex (when I order it) and stretching and swimming hard in the sea etc.

lol... I just can't bear to miss it! I mean, I spend 3 hours a week skating. so I'll miss like 18 to 21 hours!!! bleurghhhhjfkghsligd :x

Thin-Ice
04-27-2007, 03:32 AM
This sprng, eh next month, I will be on The Mission From God:
This will be my fifth try, as I had taken and failed the test four times between January 2001/ 2002. I'm not allowing myself to think about those last four tries. I want to think that I've become a stronger skater since then.

Think of it this way: the earlier tests were just PRACTICE, a way to get feedback from judges and to get used to test nerves/situations. THIS will be your REAL test.;)

Mrs Redboots
04-27-2007, 06:07 AM
What off-season? Over here, it's the start of the competition season, not the end of it. Here, competitions happen when hockey doesn't, and our competition season runs from about now until the end of October. We have already had one competition, and the children have had a couple of Opens already, but it is very early in the season for non-elite skaters!

But this last winter we worked very hard on our basic skating techniques, and it has seriously paid off in terms of speed over the ice and confidence. I hope people who watch our dances at Tallinn and at the Mountain Cup (and, indeed, at the UK competitions) will notice an improvement.

Figureskates
04-27-2007, 07:39 AM
I plan to go to camp this summer for two sessions. I am still working on Figures 1 and not quite at the point where it is testable.

Also want to continue persuing the Bronze requirements which have been temporarily put on hold with my broken little left toe which makes any kind of jump painful at the moment.

quarkiki2
04-27-2007, 08:20 AM
I plan to continue to assist with LTS tots the next 8 weeks and help coach my synchro team through the summer. Believe it or not, the team likes having two coaches after our rather dismal showing at ISI Nationals.

With the pregnancy, I have no real plans for my own skating except to just get out there until I no longer feel comfortable on the ice so that coming back doesn't suck so much, LOL! I'm basically skating laps and gently working edges and crossovers right now.

When I get back, I'm interested in maybe starting to test dances. The pre-bronze dances are all easily within my reach and my timing and presentation skills are good, so I think this may be a better avenue for ME as a skater than freestyle. Mostly because I'm a chicken-weenie about jumps, LOL!

Lenny2
04-27-2007, 09:22 AM
pff, I miss 4 lessons now for Florida

Why do you have to miss lessons when you go to Florida? Take your skates with you and arrange lessons where you are going.

xofivebyfive
04-27-2007, 09:37 AM
I will be working on a couple of MITF tests, as well as creating a new program, and trying to land the axel and a double(or two :halo: )

silverbeetle
04-27-2007, 10:38 AM
Prepare for a test = novice moves, more pre-gold dances

NCSkater02
04-27-2007, 08:01 PM
Spring/Summer goal: Find a new (and temporary) coach. My coach is leaving next month to go to Cornell in NY for grad school. I thought about following her, but that might be too much like stalking, so I gave that idea up pretty quick.

CaraSkates
04-27-2007, 08:50 PM
Goals:

get Pre-Juv MITF good enough to test by the end of August (darn 5-step mohawk and powerpulls - I can do the rest!)
land axel
land 2sal
start on 2toe
Medal in Pre-Preliminary Freestyle
consistant camel-sit
even lower sitspin
sit-change sit
Faster layback

Hopefully I'll be able to do this. I have only one competition planned for this summer but my MITF coach will not be coaching at my rink again till end of August so I'll just have to work harder with my primary coach. I had my last lesson till August with her tonight. :(

coskater64
04-28-2007, 11:11 AM
Test Jr moves, finish pre silver dances.
Get back axel, 2 sow, 2 toe, would love to get back r spiral any way I can so I can revive my flying camel, even though flying upright is getting good reviews.

Have fun and keep getting stronger so 2nd hip surgery is less difficult.

8O

jenlyon60
04-28-2007, 01:44 PM
Return to skating. I've been off since 1st of March due to knee surgery on right knee. Had hoped to return to skating middle of last month but orthopod said to wait another month. Then I had a minor set-back/flare up of pain in PT the other week while doing single leg mini-squats on the squishy foam pad.

In the meantime, the stationary bike has become my best friend I think.

jcookie1982
04-30-2007, 10:26 AM
Hopefully I'll have passed my pre-bronze MIF and freestyle(if I can ever get the hang of the one foot spin) by the end of the summer, and be working on my Bronze MIF.

sunjoy
04-30-2007, 10:53 AM
One goal I have that others haven't mentioned (but probably will be doing as well) is to improve my musculature and movement style for skating. In particular, this will probably mean taking up pilates and maybe ballet.

I skate for fun, and have firmly relied on a "just skate" mentality, without doing anything off-ice. I'm noticing that I just don't have the core strength I need. I try to go into a spin and I can't keep my pelvis stabilized. *sigh* So I'm going to have to put some *work* into this after all.

Work (n): Anything done off ice. :P

jskater49
04-30-2007, 11:13 AM
One goal I have that others haven't mentioned (but probably will be doing as well) is to improve my musculature and movement style for skating. In particular, this will probably mean taking up pilates and maybe ballet.

I skate for fun, and have firmly relied on a "just skate" mentality, without doing anything off-ice. I'm noticing that I just don't have the core strength I need. I try to go into a spin and I can't keep my pelvis stabilized. *sigh* So I'm going to have to put some *work* into this after all.

Work (n): Anything done off ice. :P

Yea if I pass my bronze moves I'm going to have to face this because there is NO WAY I am ever going to be able to do a sit spin (required for bronze fs) without off ice work. Right now I'm just not sure I want to do that. I'm pretty comfy in the prebronze for life club right now.

j

lillia
04-30-2007, 03:43 PM
We don't have any ice in the summertime, but the practise never stops anyway!
Off-ice, like doing the jumps on the floor, running, strenght, flexibility and that things. You have to do that all year if you don't want to loose everything you have built up..
I also dance twice a week on somthing that's called "kulturskolan".
I'm also going to "Karlskronalägret" which is a camp in my town.
The camps are good. You can choose betwen different coaches and learn a lot of new stuf. 3 lessons on ice and two off-ice for a week. It couldn't be better!

Good luck to all skaters out there!

WannabeS8r
04-30-2007, 04:35 PM
My goals for the summer/fall (my current spring ones are just attempting an axel and consistent lutz) are:

Improve all single jumps, even they can be always improved. Work on height, flow, consistency, and make them appear completely effortless.
Land an axel at least once by the end of August.
Have a considerably fast camel spin, and work on the quality of other spins, as well.
Consistent sit/change/sit & possibly back camel
Improve edge quality, start working on some serious footwork :halo:

fmh
05-02-2007, 05:09 PM
summer's going to be the on season for me :):):):):):) I'm pumped for skating school this summer. I hope to start landing a consistant double axel as well as consistafying (not actually a word) the rest of my jumps, as well as train 2 new programs. and I want to try a few tests. I'm pumped if you havent noticed

doubletoe
05-02-2007, 05:53 PM
Test Jr moves, finish pre silver dances.
Get back axel, 2 sow, 2 toe, would love to get back r spiral any way I can so I can revive my flying camel, even though flying upright is getting good reviews.

Have fun and keep getting stronger so 2nd hip surgery is less difficult.

8O

WHAT?!!!! 2nd hip surgery?! 8O :frus:

Okay, I'll play. Here are my goals:
- Pass Intermediate MIF
- Get my toeloop takeoff clean
- Ditto with double toeloop takeoff (and get over fear of double toe!)
- Get double salchow and axel more consistent
- Get full rotation on double loop (even if I'm not landing it perfectly)
- Master a L2 spin
- Improve my PCS: transitions, performance/execution, skating skills, etc.

southernsk8er
05-03-2007, 08:57 AM
Wow, this is really inspiring with so many of you doing doubles and Gold and Novice level, Bielmann this and that, etc!

My goals for the summer are:

- Assuming that I pass Pre-Bronze tests at the end of the month, pass Bronze tests in July
- Get back to working on the axel and double toe and (fingers crossed) land one
- Start working on double sal
- Get camel spin more consistent
- Learn sit/back sit
- Learn layback
- Work on spirals and footwork A LOT
- Maybe get an artistic program going

SynchroSk8r114
05-06-2007, 02:06 PM
My summer goals are:
1. to pass my Intermediate freestyle
2. to pass my American Waltz and Killian
3. to test my Paso Doble

Jump goals:
1. bigger axel
2. more consistent double salchow
3. more consistent double toeloop

Overall:
1. improve speed and stamina
2. cross my feet on all my doubles...you'd be surprised how I can land them without ever crossing my feet! I've got more of a side-by-side feet thing going on, which is probably the reason for my doubles inconsistency. But still...I want to cross them!

peanutskates
05-06-2007, 02:37 PM
learn a new maneuver
I'm making up for lost time on the ice by making detailed notes from my big skating book and learning all the single jumps off ice in the summer
Also, I'm going to improve my flexibility dramatically. I'm coming back from the summer holidays with a catchfoot spiral (over my head, balanced, the whole thing!!)

develop a new skating program
Well, this is not an actual program, but I like putting moves together and then pretending I have a program :) who knows, maybe this will come in useful one day

chill out
go to the beach, tan... plus, to satisfy my mum who will otherwise ban me from doing off ice stuff for the rest of the summer (!!8O )

it's going to be a busy summer. I might get one skating session in the city (going to a more villagey place to my g-parents), so I can "show my grandma my skating". and also to practice, obviously :)

Mrs Redboots
05-07-2007, 10:36 AM
develop a new skating program
Well, this is not an actual program, but I like putting moves together and then pretending I have a program :) who knows, maybe this will come in useful one day
Well, you'll be doing your first programme sooner than you think - it's a requirement on the Gold passport! I know you're only just starting Silver, but if you continue at your present rate of progress, you'll be working on your Gold in no time.

peanutskates
05-07-2007, 12:16 PM
Well, you'll be doing your first programme sooner than you think - it's a requirement on the Gold passport!

yay! :D
but is it going to be for a competition or a test?
we have this coach at our rink, and all of his boy skaters do their gold programme to some james bond thing... :roll: it's kinda cute, actually :lol:

what elements do you need for your first program?

Mrs Redboots
05-08-2007, 09:32 AM
yay! :D
but is it going to be for a competition or a test?
we have this coach at our rink, and all of his boy skaters do their gold programme to some james bond thing... :roll: it's kinda cute, actually :lol:

what elements do you need for your first program?
No idea, but given that Level 1 Bronze elements are only 3-jump, salchow or cherry, upright spin and straight line step sequence, it shouldn't be more than that, and may very well be less. You can put in more elements in your programme, but you don't need to!

peanutskates
05-08-2007, 10:59 AM
Why do you have to miss lessons when you go to Florida? Take your skates with you and arrange lessons where you are going.

a) family holiday
b) I now only miss 1 lesson through this event (other lesson is on a bank holiday)
c) I am not that obsessed.

but interesting idea...:lol:

xofivebyfive
05-08-2007, 12:24 PM
^I did that when I went to Florida during my spring break. I brought my skates and begged my mom to let me go to a couple of public sessions while I was there. Florida ice is very interesting to skate on. It's much crunchier than New Jersey ice.

SynchroSk8r114
05-23-2007, 02:08 PM
My summer goals are:
1. to pass my Intermediate freestyle
2. to pass my American Waltz and Killian
3. to test my Paso Doble

Jump goals:
1. bigger axel
2. more consistent double salchow
3. more consistent double toeloop

Overall:
1. improve speed and stamina
2. cross my feet on all my doubles...you'd be surprised how I can land them without ever crossing my feet! I've got more of a side-by-side feet thing going on, which is probably the reason for my doubles inconsistency. But still...I want to cross them!

Just a little update:

Today I passed both my American Waltz and Killian! I passed the American by 2 out of the three judges and the Killian by all three. One judge even gave me an 8.2 out of 8.0 for my Killian. Haha, and they said I was very "lively" with "crisp feet and good edge quality." So, one summer goal down, two more to go!

And I am now adding landing my double loop to my jump goals. I landed one on the harness yesterday with no help from my coach, but I'm still not counting it as landed until I do it off the harness, which I love so dearly for my mental safety reasons, hahaha!

So, good luck with everyone else's goals - I'll keep y'all posted! :)

jazzpants
05-23-2007, 02:39 PM
I wrote:

ISk8NYC replied:

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c127/Isk8NYC/Chillin.jpgNah! The device will get me BANNED from the rink!!! :lol:

Isk8NYC
05-23-2007, 02:58 PM
CONGRATULATIONS SYNCHROSK8R114!

Jazz - Leave the skates and iPod on the deck and GO SWIMMING! That's Chillin' Out! (Or warming up, I forget which.)

MY OWN UPDATE
GOAL: To pass Pre-Prel MITF and Freestyle tests this summer.
Done. To Preliminary and Beyoooond!

ACTIONS:
Keep taking MITF/FS lessons each week.
Pretty good, except last week and this. :twisted:

Take Ice Dance lessons each week. (Could be group or private)
Still thinking about this one. :??

Practice three times/week, doing MITF and FS runthroughs three times/session.
Been pretty bad about this one since the season wound down. :roll: Next week will be better!

Add 30 minute off-ice warmup before practices.
Well, 15 minutes isn't SO bad for a working mom with two jobs and three kids.

PLUS:
Do more off-ice workouts.
I've been very good about these. :halo: Short and simple, that's the ticket for me!

Terri C
05-23-2007, 03:43 PM
This spring, eh next month, I will be on The Mission From God:

Well the above is one goal that may not be met. As many of you have heard, I did not pass last week. I guess that means that I need to set a new goal of cleaning up the iffy elements and learning how to "settle down" while skating a program and not get too freaked out.

Isk8NYC
05-23-2007, 04:11 PM
Well the above is one goal that may not be met. As many of you have heard, I did not pass last week. I guess that means that I need to set a new goal of cleaning up the iffy elements and learning how to "settle down" while skating a program and not get too freaked out.
You do have my sympathies, Terri. I really hope you nail down that test next time out.

May I point out, with due respect, that the title is "Spring AND SUMMER" so you haven't missed that goal yet - you've still got a few months. (September should count as summer, I think.)

SynchroSk8r114
05-23-2007, 05:17 PM

That's tough. I think that sometimes it's more important to train yourself mentally than it is physically. The worst is being fully capable of being able to do the test elements, but letting your mind get the better of you. I know - that's happened to me many times. :roll:

There's a quote by Douchan Gersi “Victory always starts in the head. It’s a state of mind. It then spreads with such radiance and such affirmation that destiny can do nothing but obey.” I like that one...

One of the things that helps me is to breathe deep and tell myself that if I don't pass, it's not the end of the world...that when my body is physically ready (or in some cases, when I am mentally prepared) then I will pass. Easier said than done, I know. ;) Also, try thinking of everything like a practice with your coach. Finally, smile! This helps soooo much. Since skating synchro, I've been forced to smile and have found that it really helps relax you and put you at ease (take it from someone who used to be a very serious skater!). And if everything falls apart, at least you look like you were having fun!

xofivebyfive
05-23-2007, 06:15 PM
Okay I've reevaluated myself, and this will probably change again before the summer starts depending on how much I accomplish by the end of school(June 20)

land my axel clean
Get a nice leaned back position on my layback instead of the flat back I have now
Have 10+ rotations on my back camel
Pass the PrePre MITF and FS tests
Land a double, any double.
Skate at least 5 hours a week.
and on a non skating note: learn to play the violin and piano!

WannabeS8r
05-23-2007, 07:52 PM
10+ on a BACK camel, Laura? 8O You are insane. I can't even get close to half of that on my REGULAR camel. Haha!

Both PrePre tests would be a piece of cake for you, I am sure. Just do a lutz in front of the judges so they don't waste their time! :lol:

xofivebyfive
05-23-2007, 09:15 PM
10+ on a BACK camel, Laura? 8O You are insane. I can't even get close to half of that on my REGULAR camel. Haha!

Both PrePre tests would be a piece of cake for you, I am sure. Just do a lutz in front of the judges so they don't waste their time! :lol:
I can stretch it to 10 on a good day on my foward camel, so I'm hoping to get the back camel to the same level.