View Full Version : YOGA and/or PILATES

miraclegro
04-25-2007, 07:38 PM
Although i am in really great shape compared to most people my age, my coach told me i need to work more on flexibilty and stamina to pass my Adult Silver program. I can't jog much outside due to allergies, plus i want to have good knees when i am older. I will eventually figure out the stamina part, but...

i am wondering if there are any t.v. stations/shows that have daily or a few times a week yoga classes or pilates? I would like to learn some yoga pretty soon, and a friend lent me her pilates DVDs that i still need to watch. We have dish tv, if that helps.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

techskater
04-25-2007, 07:44 PM
I would highly recommend that you do a couple sessions in either a Pilates or yoga studio before a DIY route because both can cause a great deal of damage and/or do you no good if done incorrectly. It's amazing how something that is "slow" and looks so "simple" is actually NOT.

I am in luck in that my healthclub offers both -- for free! :P

froggy
04-25-2007, 07:50 PM
very very true! technique and allignment is critical in pilates and yoga, I agree to definately take these classes with an instructer first, later you can then practice what you learn at home. It's impt to have a second set of experienced eyes to make sure what you are doing is correct. good luck!

miraclegro
04-25-2007, 08:38 PM
Well....i'll see if i can get into a class temporarily. Thanks, Ya'll

coskater64
04-25-2007, 08:52 PM
Both Yoga and Pilates should be done in a class first to get the idea of how it is done and when you have overdone. Pilates focuses more on the core, and yoga focuses on strength and flexibility. Yoga, Bikram's done in a hot room is very good for flexibility. For stamina you could try an eliptical if you wanted to be nice on your knees. Both are good choices, I have found pilates very helpful and have liked yoga as well.:D

flippet
04-26-2007, 02:55 PM
www.exercisetv.com

To get it on actual TV, I think you need certain cable, not dish companies, but they have some stuff on the web. I don't know how much yoga/pilates there is.

Definitely try some DVDs. But I do recommend trying an actual class first, just to get the hang of it.

beachbabe
04-26-2007, 10:57 PM
you cud prolly rent a dvd at the library or blockbuster or something and then jsut burn it- ull need copyright protection removing software but u can find that free online.

sunjoy
04-30-2007, 11:45 AM
For stamina you could try an eliptical if you wanted to be nice on your knees. Or, if you have access to quiet bike-paths, in-line skate (or bike). Both are very specific to the muscles used in forward stroking, and in-lining has the added benefit of being fun in a similar way as being on ice is.

Yoga varies tremendously from style to style. Almost all will work your flexibility and strength, but for the most part it's the "vinyasa" and "ashthanga" styles that will also make you sweat and get a good aerobic workout.

I've also read somewhere (http://www.icextras.com/office.htm) about doing intervals: skate your program length + 30 secs at full effort, then rest for 1 minute. Repeat 3-5 times. Can also do intervals with jump-roping, running, or spinning.

Also see the "Functional Strength" article in the April issue of USFS "Skating" magazine -- wow, talk about a humbling reality check! 8O

Mrs Redboots
05-01-2007, 08:56 AM
What about a lateral thigh trainer (http://www.connection-fitness.co.uk/brand/LTT/Lateral_Thigh_Trainer/487/index.aspx?source=adwords)? From what I've seen in advertisements, the movement is again very similar to skating.

Tiggerwoos
05-01-2007, 06:14 PM
........... and of course the maxiflex will help. Just got one the other week and wouldn't be without it now.