View Full Version : Not-broken-any more ankle update

sk8pics
04-24-2007, 02:22 PM
So... finally, tomorrow I am going to have the screws in my ankle removed. I am happy about it... and not! But it is supposed to be very minor and I will be able to walk on it right away. And my surgeon said I should only need painkillers for a few days. The most annoying thing has been arranging for people to take me there, wait for me, take me home, and then stay with me! I have some awesome friends, 3 of them who are going to help. Almost like a relay race, but instead of passing a baton to one another, they will pass me! They only told me last Friday that I'm not supposed to be alone that night.:roll: Like they couldn't have mentioned that sooner! My allergies are pretty bad right now, but I called my doctor's office and they said it was okay, because I'm not going to be totally "out" for the procedure.

So, I should probably be able to skate by the end of the summer! Cross your fingers for me...

dbny
04-24-2007, 02:27 PM
Woo Hoo! Congratulations!

flo
04-24-2007, 02:40 PM
Great news - take it easy tomorrow!

Isk8NYC
04-24-2007, 02:41 PM
That's great news! Crossing my fingers for a quick rebound from this last surgery and a quick ice return.

jazzpants
04-24-2007, 02:45 PM
WOO HOO, Pat!!! Light at the end of the tunnel is coming for 'ya. Look forward to hearing that you will be skating again end of summer! :D :D :D (Hopefully by the time I make my Holiday NYC visit, you'll be able to join us this year for whatever "Skatingforums Meet Up" happens.)

southernsk8er
04-24-2007, 03:39 PM
keeping my fingers crossed for a speedy recovery and return to the ice!!

Mrs Redboots
04-25-2007, 05:43 AM
Great news, Pat! Maybe we'll be meeting up at Oberstdorf next year?

Petlover
04-25-2007, 10:13 AM
Great news Pat!

montanarose
04-25-2007, 11:11 AM
Congratulations from a fellow broken ankle survivor! Just two days ago, I ventured back on the ice for the first time since my own injury last August. I only skated for 30 minutes (you gotta start somewhere :lol: ), but the good news is that my ankle didn't give me a moment's pause. Instead, I was far too busy just trying to find my balance and stay upright over my feet :roll: It only occurred to me later in the day that "Hey, I didn't even think about my ankle!" Hopefully you will have the same happy experience.

Cheers,
Ellen

sk8pics
04-26-2007, 01:26 PM
Thanks for the good wishes everyone. I had the surgery yesterday and it went fine, but apparently the surgeon had more trouble than he'd anticipated in getting two of the screws out. They were evidently in there real good and tissue had even started growing on top of the screw heads. But, he got them out. It also turns out that the syndesmotic screw, that he'd worried would break, was actually bent, and that may explain some of the pain and lack of range of motion I was experiencing.

The sedation was great, I don't even remember falling asleep, and then suddenly I was awake sitting in the room I'd started out in, and then it seemed like 5 seconds later my friend came into the room. They'd walked me into the procedure room at around 12:30, it was 1:45 when my friend came into the prep room, and we left at around 2:45 or so. So it all took a little longer than they'd planned, but I'm just glad i wasn't awake!

My surgeon had come out and talked to my friend after he finished and he'd told her he'd see us before we left, and the nurses were all like, yeah, right, you won't see him again. But he did come in and talk to me too once I was lucid. My surgeon is a rock star, I am glad to have had him as my doctor.

If I sit still, my ankle doesn't hurt at all. Of course, I'm on vicodin as I type this, so... It hurts a lot when I walk on it. I'm allowed to do anything I can stand to do, so I am trying to walk on it just enough but not too much. I'm hoping it will be better in a couple of days.

NCSkater02
04-27-2007, 07:53 PM
Congratulations from a fellow broken ankle survivor! Just two days ago, I ventured back on the ice for the first time since my own injury last August. I only skated for 30 minutes (you gotta start somewhere :lol: ), but the good news is that my ankle didn't give me a moment's pause. Instead, I was far too busy just trying to find my balance and stay upright over my feet :roll: It only occurred to me later in the day that "Hey, I didn't even think about my ankle!" Hopefully you will have the same happy experience.

Cheers,
Ellen

You did better than me. My first time back, I only made about 20 minutes. And CCW crossovers hurt horribly since I was putting pressure on the left outside edge (I broke my fibula) I was also trying to remember how to skate.