View Full Version : SKATEUK Level 1

jesspink123
04-23-2007, 11:34 AM
Hi I am just staring skating and I'm 15 and wondered how long it took anyone to pass level 1 ?

Mrs Redboots
04-23-2007, 01:14 PM
Most people pass it at the end of the first six-week set of courses.

I do hope you find you enjoy the sport and wish to carry on.

peanutskates
04-23-2007, 01:43 PM
If you practise for at least 1 hour each day in addition to the lesson, you can probably pass in about 2/3 weeks.

I'd been recreationally skating for about 6/8 hours (2 hour sessions every, like, 6 months) then started taking it more seriously about 7/8 weeks before starting, an hour skating a week. On my first day I went straight to level 3.

sceptique
04-23-2007, 02:26 PM
We take many beginners straight to level 2. Level 1 is for very small kids or those who have a great deal of fear and unable to leave the barrier for a few weeks. I see no point keeping skaters at level 1 as long as they can move around and do "fishes", 2-foot glide & turn and "little man".

Helen88
04-23-2007, 03:11 PM
If you practise for at least 1 hour each day in addition to the lesson, you can probably pass in about 2/3 weeks.

I'd been recreationally skating for about 6/8 hours (2 hour sessions every, like, 6 months) then started taking it more seriously about 7/8 weeks before starting, an hour skating a week. On my first day I went straight to level 3.

Same here peanuts - I got moved straight up to level 4 (now on level 6). I normally skate for 1/2 an hour on Thursdays for my lesson, and then 1/2 an hour after, but that's normally all I get to do :cry:. Sometimes I go on Sundays too, but not often.

WannabeS8r
04-23-2007, 06:22 PM
I am very curious about the skating levels in UK... could somebody please explain what the levels there are all about (just what kind of jumps/spins there are in each)? Thanks in advance! ;)

peanutskates
04-24-2007, 01:42 AM
Helen - lol yeah, I remember, you were like the only person here on the same levels as me. Level 6, huh? Good luck with those 3 turns :) They took me ages. I'm lvl 8 now *woo* and what I don't get is how Level 7 has one-foot continuos edges and level 8 has the same thing but with two feet??? 2 feet is waay easier. anyway..

and, Wannabe: we're talking about the beginning LTS program in the UK, where the only jump you do is a bunny hop. Then, after LTS lvl 10, you go to Bronze, and you learn the waltz jump, the cherry and maybe something else. someone else can explain...

BatikatII
04-24-2007, 03:24 AM
I am very curious about the skating levels in UK... could somebody please explain what the levels there are all about (just what kind of jumps/spins there are in each)? Thanks in advance! ;)

We used to get confusion in the UK about levels becasue we had a 'novice test' (after basic learn to skate ) that didnt' yet have jumps or spins but had to be done to music and had lots of basic steps in it (bit like moves in the field done as a programme) and then there was the 'novice competitive test' (where skaters usually had axels and doubles).

Then they changed the test levels to be 1 - 10 (taken after learn to skate courses) which got rid of all the confusion until they introduced Skate UK 'learn to skate' courses which they named with levels (you guessed it) levels 1- 10.

So you have skate Uk levels 1- 10 learn to skate courses (tested by the coaches) followed by levels 1 -10 in national tests with official judges.

Just to add interest they then added after skate UK levels 1- 10 the 'passport' levels in bronze, silver and gold. These are still tested by the coaches but some of the things are actually from levels 1 and 2 national tests (but to a considerably lower standard) and to get more money still they split these into dance and free passports. Still haven't worked out if you have to do both passports in order to test in both free and dance at levels 1 - 10.

Oh yes and to add further confusion they divided the higher level tests (1 - 10 remember!) into bronze levels 1 -3, silver levels 4 - 6 and gold levels 7- 10.

Then they still had novice, junior, senior etc competitive tests but I believe now these elite competitive levels are attained by competing in special NJS (new judging system) comps where they are judged under the points system like internationals. But there aren't many of these and the people who do them are not allowed (or weren't last time I looked) to compete in ordinary opens so it's a bit of daft situation.

Most people seem to feel it's more about making money since the number of test levels doubled and the passports have to be paid for.

I leave someone else to fill in the details. I can only tell you that bronze level 1 (the first national test after passport) has 3 jump (waltz) or salchow plus toe loop and upright spin as main elements together with a mini step sequence and spirals.

kateskate
04-24-2007, 04:37 AM
Wow - good description of the ever changing UK tests!

To elaborate I can give you up to level 5 elements and free.

Level 1 bronze elements
Perimeter skating both CCW & CW
3 jump or salchow
Cherry flip (toe loop)
Upright spin (3 revs)
Forward spiral (any edge)
Backward spiral (any edge)
Straight line step sequence (10m)

Level 1 bronze free programme
1min 30 sec programme to include 1 spin, 2 different jumps, 1 spiral, 1 step sequence

Level 2 bronze elements
Perimeter skating both CCW & CW
Salchow or cherry flip (toe loop)
3 jump
Upright spin (5 revs)
Backspin from inside 3 turn entry (1-2 revs)
Sit spin (3 revs)
Straight line step sequence (25m)

Level 2 bronze free programme1min 30 sec programme to include 2 different jumps, one jump combination, 2 different spins, spiral, step sequence

Level 3 bronze elements
Figure of 8 crossovers (F CCW, B CW, B CCW and F CW in that order)
Loop
Flip
Single jump combination with toe loop as second jump
Camel spin (3 revs)
Backspin from inside 3 turn entry (3 revs)
Straight line step sequence to include forward and backward 3 turns (full length of rink)

Level 3 bronze free programme
1 min 30 sec programme to include 2 different jumps one of which must be a flip, jump combination, 2 different spins, step sequence.

Level 4 silver elements
Lutz
Axel
Single jump combination with a loop as the second jump
Camel-sit spin combination (2 revs each position)
Change foot upright spin (4 revs each foot)
Sequence to include 2 of the following -forward spiral, back spiral, ina bauer, drag, pivot, spread eagle
Circular step sequence to include Mohawks and three turns

Level 4 silver free programme
2 min programme to include 2 different single jumps one of which must be an axel, jump combination, combination spin with at least one change of position, one other spin, circular step sequence

Level 5 silver elements
Perimeter power crossover stroking
Axel
Double Salchow
Jump combination including a Lutz or a flip
Flying camel spin (3 revs)
Change foot sit spin (4 revs on each foot)
Spin combination with one change of position and one change of foot (3 revs on each foot).

Level 5 silver free programme
2 mins. Programme to include an Axel, two other different jumps one of which must be a double, a jump combination including a Lutz or a flip, a spin combination including a change of position, another different spin combination including a change of foot, a spiral or moves sequence covering half of the ice surface.

cathrl
04-24-2007, 10:10 AM
The other thing which is very confusing is that many of the test elements on the passport are also on the early tests of the NISA levels. So, for instance, you have to do a 3 jump for your bronze passport, and again for level 1. And a backspin for gold passport, and again for level 2. But the standards required for the level tests are much higher - for the passport you only have to be able to do it, it doesn't have to be high quality. (Luckily for me :) )

My rink used to add an extra level of "novice" - the second stage of our LTS classes, before NISA standardised them, was also called Novice! It used to lead to a huge amount of confusion, with kids who could barely skate backwards being signed up for the Christmas show at a level which demanded competent spins and jumps.

It's still hellish confusing - my daughter's a novice level solo ice dancer. But that's a very much lower level than if she was a novice level couples ice dancer, or solo freeskater.

WannabeS8r
04-24-2007, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the explanation, kateskate and BatikatII. Those 5 levels are rather different from the Freeskate levels in the US!

kateskate
04-24-2007, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the explanation, kateskate and BatikatII. Those 5 levels are rather different from the Freeskate levels in the US!

Easier? Harder? Or just different? Just wondering.....

rlichtefeld
04-24-2007, 03:49 PM

That's really hard to say.

I've found a site with the U.S. Basic Skills (Learn to Skate) tests which are given by the group instructor:
http://www.sk8stuff.com/f_basic_ref/lts/basic_eights.htm
Which is then followed by:
http://www.sk8stuff.com/f_basic_ref/lts/basic_freestyle.htm

Many skaters will start taking private lessons along the way and may drop out of the group lessons and tests.

The tests on the competitive track (after Basic Skills) are split into a Moves in the Field (MIF) test and a Freeskate test. After the MIF test at a level is passed, then you can test the Freekskate test at that level. However, many skaters pass several MIF tests before going back and taking a FS test at a lower level. Tests at this level are judged by a panel of sanctioned USFS judges.

The test elements are listed here:
http://www.sk8stuff.com/m_rules.htm

Rob

cathrl
04-24-2007, 04:08 PM
The other weird thing here is that while you can get your tracks out of sync (so, you can test level 5 freeskate while only being level 1 moves) if you do that, you're not eligible to enter any freeskate competitions as a child, because there's always a minimum moves level for each freeskate level for competition entries. My daughter was in that situation for about a fortnight once (weird timing to do with moves tests requiring 2 judges at the time). Another child in the same situation failed the moves test and then couldn't compete until they retook it and passed.

jskater49
04-24-2007, 04:10 PM

Acyuslly ig you compare skateuk to Learn to Skate levels, they are pretty similar.

j

BatikatII
04-24-2007, 05:09 PM
looking at the link provided it looks like the tests would broadly relate as follows if you are looking only at the programme part of the tests.

(UK tests (beyond passport) have 3 parts - 'elements' which are done in isolation and a 'free' programme which is basically the elements put into a programme and then a prerequisite to competing is the 'moves' part at that level)

so broadly

US / UK

pre pre / bronze level 1

pre / bronze level 2

pre juv / bronze level 3

juv / silver level 4

I haven't looked at the rest so won't go higher.

For competitions, elements from higher levels can be done but there are restrictions now. We used to see kids competing at novice level (equivalent to current bronze level 1) with doubles but now I think you have to be at least level 3 to put an axel in your programme which makes people move up the levels faster and does go some way to prevent sandbagging as if you can do a double you have to move up to a level where you are allowed to use it in competitions or it's not worth having it!:lol:

Most skaters, adults included, test moves many levels in advance of their elements and free so they dont' fall foul of the rule that you must have at least the same level moves test in order to compete. My daughter has level 8 moves but is level 5 in free and elements and I am only level 1 in free and elements but I have level 4 in moves.

At one time NISA proposed a cap on moves so you couldn't compete if you had moves levels in advance of your free and elements but there was a huge outcry - particularly from adults who often had advanced moves (don't have to jump in a moves test!!!) and the idea was dropped thankfully.

Do you only have moves and freestyle tests in US - no elements tests? The elements tests here often have the odd more advanced element that you don't havetot put in the programme at that level but broadly they are the same.

WannabeS8r
04-24-2007, 08:20 PM

It also depends if you are looking at USFSA or ISI levels. But if you're comparing skateUK to the US Learn To Skate/Basic Skills levels (Basic 1-8 and Freeskate 1-6), they are similar in terms of the elements in general, but the jumps and spins are grouped a bit differently. There is also no axel in Freeskate 6 (highest Basic Skills level) and obviously no flying camel, but it is then required in the official USFSA levels, i.e. Pre-preliminary to Senior. It's kind of hard to explain.

Mrs Redboots
04-25-2007, 05:48 AM
But if you're comparing skateUK to the US Learn To Skate/Basic Skills levels (Basic 1-8 and Freeskate 1-6), they are similar in terms of the elements in general, but the jumps and spins are grouped a bit differently. Oh, I think you'll find Kateskate was listing the standard tests, not the SkateUK ones, which are the "Learn to Skate" levels. You can find a description of the SkateUK levels here (http://everglides.co.uk/html/how_to_skate.html) - click on one of the badges on the left hand side of the page to see what's involved in that particular test.

kateskate
04-25-2007, 05:59 AM
Oh, I think you'll find Kateskate was listing the standard tests, not the SkateUK ones, which are the "Learn to Skate" levels. You can find a description of the SkateUK levels here (http://everglides.co.uk/html/how_to_skate.html) - click on one of the badges on the left hand side of the page to see what's involved in that particular test.

Indeed I was! Thanks Mrs R. (Thought I had been clear but obviously I wasn't - sorry!)

Also there are 5 more levels as our standard tests go up to level 10 but I don't know the elements above level 5. Hardest jump in level 10 is double lutz though I think.

sk8_4fun
04-25-2007, 09:00 AM
Indeed I was! Thanks Mrs R. (Thought I had been clear but obviously I wasn't - sorry!)

Also there are 5 more levels as our standard tests go up to level 10 but I don't know the elements above level 5. Hardest jump in level 10 is double lutz though I think.

Thanks for the info Katherine, I was wondering what sort of thing I'd be doing at 'big school'. crikey, if what you listed was LTS UK, I think I put my skates on ebay right now!8O

WannabeS8r
04-25-2007, 11:04 AM

Oh, sorry! It's really confusing, I've never read about UK levels before. :giveup: