View Full Version : Base Run or Out (Practice Thread April 22-29, 2007)

flo
04-23-2007, 09:03 AM
In keeping with all the great baseball games yesterday. I had the pleasure of being at the O's game on a beautiful day.

Base run - got my new skates on Saturday. I got Jackson Dance boots in my FS stiffness with some other custom changes. So far, I like the ability to point my toe and not have my heel come up. It was the first time I was able to put on a pair of new boots and go out and do a counter and for that matter stop.

Out - the one place that's irritating my foot is the back of the boot where the leather meets the elastic cuff. Have to work on covering the transition with some gel.

Isk8NYC
04-23-2007, 09:26 AM
Base Run:
Camel spins, Camel-sit-change-sit were good.
Low-entry sit spin was good.
Prel MITF were just okay.
Waltz jumps were good; toe loops were very good and I didn't kick myself in the foot!

Out:
Loop jumps - still working on them. Only landed a few baby ones.
Back scratch spins were rocky, but I managed to hold them.
Worked on quick back spins in the scratch position for jump pullins/pullouts. (From a standstill.)
Tango stops are better, bringing the free foot to the front has helped, but now I'm using the heel of my blade to stop. Grrr.

March "Try It": Twizzles
Twizzles are definitely helping the forward threes AND keeping the foot in front for jumps/spins - yay! Plus, they're fun.
Still working on keeping the right foot in front on the LFI Twizzles - it's awkward because of the CW rotation. (I skate CCW)

April "Try It": BO spiral with the leg in front.
The off-ice stretches are really helping - I can bring the free leg from behind, around to the front. Not as high as I want, but I'm not wobbling. Still need to ride the edge more.

jskater49
04-23-2007, 09:40 AM
Base run

Well, the 5 step mohawk still isn't pretty but I'm doing it, lots of scrapping and two footing on the right ones, but you gotta start somewhere.

Started working on my compulsary again that I'm going to compete in June...and quite proud of myself - there are two places I need to turn forward to backward and I turned one of the two foot turns into a mohawk (left of course) and it is actually quite smooth and no loss of speed. Darn I wish I could do a left mohawk in the Swing Dance!

Made up a little spin program for my one foot and two foot spins competition, inbetweens consisting of forward chasses and back swing rolls. Woohoo.

Out

Worked on the compulsary in my lesson - coach says "You are not allowed to hook that entry edge in your waltz jump" - once she pointed me in the right direction it was much better. Then she got out the dreaded bands -- these stretchy bands that I had to hold on to while I jumped to keep my arms where they belonged. That was terrible - it threw me all off. Ugh - we might be moving to another rink next week and she's planning to bring the #$$!! bands with her!

j

Thin-Ice
04-23-2007, 10:02 AM
I'm impressed you can jump with those things. I get tangled up just holding onto the band behind my back, when I'm doing moves! My secondary coach even laughs and calls it "torture time".

jskater49
04-23-2007, 10:24 AM
I'm impressed you can jump with those things. I get tangled up just holding onto the band behind my back, when I'm doing moves! My secondary coach even laughs and calls it "torture time".

Did I say I could jump with them??? :frus: :frus:

J

Rusty Blades
04-23-2007, 11:21 AM
Base Hit: Since it was a Monday off (for me) I went in to enjoy the 7 a.m. almost-empty ice and work on backwards edges - they’re coming along slowly but surely. Also took in 3 different music cuts to listen to with my coach and discuss the possibilities and we played around with possible moves to suit the music.

We also talked about shifting one of my lessons from Thursday afternoon to Thursday morning since she is so busy on the afternoon session and morning ice is so DEAD! So I decided to add Monday mornings as well :mrgreen:

I told her that I am going to want to move into jumps when my back edges are more solid and I get settled into my new boots so I got an introductory lesson to the Waltz jump .... oh yea! This should be do-able!

Out!: Not a particularly strong session today - nothing new or noteworthy - but any Monday morning on the ice is better than a Monday at the office :roll:

coskater64
04-23-2007, 01:04 PM
Base run:
As if I even understand baseball terminology.8O
Today was a very good day for me, I land 3 axels today fully rotated nice cross on the foot for the very first time. Double sow has hope, all of this bodes well since my shot is next week. New footwork is coming along nicely currently just getting it memorized and working on making it faster and deeper should be a 2 or a 3. Getting inside edge on back sit and back scratch, outside edge on end front.

Out:
Took incredibly hard fall on Tango after swing mohawk, rocked back onto heel, (no heel on MK dance blades ) onto bad hip and just crunched neck, not pleasant at all! Everything seems to work, so I'll just continue onward.:roll:

Scarlett
04-23-2007, 01:41 PM
Base Run:

Did a decent scratch spin which nobody saw since it was an empty session. Finally made my coach come over and look at the tracing.

Out:
Was shown the bronze moves. They are comical. Also thoroughly enjoyed having my coach drag me around the ice at a speed that I would never chose to move at. Apparently, being afraid for your life shows "power" to the judges.

Called third strike looking with the bases loaded and 2 outs:
My coach is going on a 2 month sabbatical and I have yet to arrange interim coaching :(

looplover
04-23-2007, 02:44 PM
Base run: YAY did 3/4ths of a lutz four or five times today and in fact one of them was just about there, I don't think I really needed to put my left foot down. soveryclosetodoingalutz :D :D :D

Also base run because my little mental skating blocks annoy me and in almost every case today once I decided not to let them get the better of me, I did the element correctly.

Out: Oh dear, that sit spin has just gone on vacation ever since I got new blades that actually have a decent rocker. I am basically relearning it from the beginning and I had a really good sit spin on my totally flat 15 year old blades. Oh well, I'd rather have the rocker...but this is frustrating...:frus: :frus: :twisted:

Morgail
04-23-2007, 03:47 PM
Base run: YAY did 3/4ths of a lutz four or five times today and in fact one of them was just about there, I don't think I really needed to put my left foot down. soveryclosetodoingalutz :D :D :D

ooo, I'm jealous;)

Base Run:
-I got a camel with 3 revs today! I don't think my free leg position was even close to good, but it went around 3 times:)
-Power pulls actually went all the way down to the end of the rink without coming to a complete stop.
-I got up out of a sit-change-sit twice today.
-Did some flips with crossed legs.

Out:
-Lutz goes up, but only halfway around - I end up with a half-lutz with a 3-turn tacked onto the end. I'm not sure how to make it rotate more.
-Back 3s were wobbly today.

doubletoe
04-23-2007, 06:38 PM
Base Run -
Uh, nope, I'm benched! :??

Out -
I haven't skated since getting home from AN, upon which I was promptly knocked out by this terrible flu. In the past week I've lost 5 pounds (I have no butt anymore!). I'm also even *paler* than I usually am, if you can imagine that! 8O I don't even *feel* like skating, so you KNOW I must be sick!

Terri C
04-23-2007, 07:13 PM
Apparently, being afraid for your life shows "power" to the judges.(

Tee hee- can't say we didn't warn ya! Why do you think me and jazzpants referred to "Bronze Moves Hell"?:lol:
In the meantime here is life for me in Bronze Free Hell.

Base run:
Doing my sitspin in the program runthrough.
Getting stronger and more consistent at the beginning of the program (backscratch and loop are my first two elements, back to back!). Loops are better too.

Fly ball out to centerfield:
Completely rotated loop in program runthrough, but two footed landing.

Strike out :
Had some weird falls today. One I was just stroking along and caught a toepick. The second one I got my feet tangled while playing with the flip.

Isk8NYC
04-23-2007, 10:20 PM
I decided to be a trooper and go to the rink normal time, even though my early student had cancelled. Bought me about 45 minutes (without chatting) of free ice time for myself. I'm so glad I'm over my "don't skate in front of the students" ego trip. *snicker*

Base Run:
Twizzles were good. I can handle a RFI and RBO easier, LFI with some concentration. LBO and any other one - hahaha.
(Are there FO twizzles? Must be, right?)

Pre-Bronze MITF 3-turn Pattern - I like it now that I can visualize the placement of the steps and lobes. I can do 2-3 sets widthwise across the ice, have to try it lengthwise another time.

Pop Up Behind the Plate:
One of these days, I'm going to finally land the loop and stop giving my knee pain. I think I'm due for a fall and a breakthrough.

Out:
Spins were as awful as tonight's ice. Not that I'm complaining, but it really was bad and I was digging in on edges, which is not good.

Sk8pdx
04-24-2007, 12:24 AM
(((Doubletoe))) I hope you are feeling better soon!:cry:

I didn't skate today but I will post from yesterdays practice:)
Base Run:
I saw progress in Loop,(thanks to the "help with loop" thread) Backspin, Camel Spin, "almost" flip, and footwork steps.

Out:
sit spin, spirals:??

jazzpants
04-24-2007, 12:24 AM
I haven't skated since getting home from AN, upon which I was promptly knocked out by this terrible flu. In the past week I've lost 5 pounds (I have no butt anymore!). I'm also even *paler* than I usually am, if you can imagine that! 8O I don't even *feel* like skating, so you KNOW I must be sick!Doubletoe PALER than she usually is!?!?! You must be ghost white there!!! EEEEK!!! 8O (Hope you get well soon!!!)

Mostly an "Out" Day for me too!
My trainer really worked me Friday night and my outer quads muscle on the right side is STILL hurting after 3 days. I tried to get down on my sit spin but it's still sore (but not as bad as yesterday) to do them when I tried to get them lower. Oh, dear... :cry:

Had no energy to try jumps tonight... I did mostly spins and moves tonight.

The only base run:
Back sit (since the left quad is okay.) I manage to squat a little on the back sit in front of Primary Coach and I know he saw it. (Which means he might work me on it come Thursday. 8O ) I primarily worked on footwork. I watch his Bronze guy working on Silver Moves today and he's already "getting it." (Unlike me... who STILL has trouble on the FO mohawks today on the 8 step and don't have a stinkin' BI3 and her BO3 is still "funky." :frus: )

I probably should take a weekend off skating and gym and just rest... of course, Auntie is coming soon, so I think I'll take the time then!!! :twisted:

I'm going to the gym tomorrow. I should be able to at least do the elliptical and everything else besides the leg strength stuff. I'll let my trainer know that my right quad muslce were thinking of him this weekend!!! :twisted:

Tee hee- can't say we didn't warn ya! Why do you think me and jazzpants referred to "Bronze Moves Hell"?:lol: Now now! Let's not scare Scarlett here!!! After all, we both managed to pass it!!! :P

It's difficult, but NOT impossible!!! If you have good crossovers (and I don't mean beginning crossovers but ones with deep lobes and edges and push....) then you're not so bad off. If you are "stepping over" your crossovers, THEN it will take a while. :roll:

Thin-Ice
04-24-2007, 02:55 AM
(coach) got out the dreaded bands -- these stretchy bands that I had to hold on to while I jumped to keep my arms where they belonged.

That was terrible - it threw me all off. j

Gee, it sounds to me like you at least attempted to jump with the bands.... I just stand there with a dull look on my face and my coach shaking her head saying "never mind". :D Nice to know I'm not the only adult who "has issues" with the stretchy-bands.

Mrs Redboots
04-24-2007, 05:58 AM
Six! (we don't play baseball here, so that's the cricket equivalent!):
Did a really good Fiesta Tango this morning - I remembered to turn my head to look where I am pointed on the step to forwards, and you wouldn't believe the difference it made!

Out: Willow went funny, but we realised what we were doing wrong. Swing Dance still not great. Canasta okay.

No lesson today as coach at a seminar.

Didn't work on free dance - was going to, but ended up talking weddings to a friend instead!

jskater49
04-24-2007, 07:05 AM
Gee, it sounds to me like you at least attempted to jump with the bands.... I just stand there with a dull look on my face and my coach shaking her head saying "never mind". :D Nice to know I'm not the only adult who "has issues" with the stretchy-bands.

Oh it's a running joke for the adults to scream when a coach gets out the bands. I never see the kids using them. I guess we are the ones who don't know what to do with our arms.

It's my goal to make sure I get my arms right this week with that waltz jump so maybe she won't make me use them again!

j

Rob Dean
04-24-2007, 07:32 AM
OUT! : :x The Fiesta Tango is giving me fits again. Coach is trying to rearrange my mohawk, entry, hand position and foot position, and I can only think about one thing at a time when actually trying it--so there was no way it was happening yesterday. I'm signed up to do this at a pro-am in six weeks. Call 911 in advance...

A Hit: Monday is program dance night at the Skating Club of Wilmington, and I did a swing dance with my coach, which she said was one of the best I've done. I'm signed up to do this one too, so at least I won't embarrass myself on half the event.

Meanwhile, no practice time possible before the next lesson on Thursday, which is a pain when I want to see if I can't nail down some of what we talked about re the fiesta in the lesson.

Rob

Mrs Redboots
04-24-2007, 09:58 AM
OUT! : :x The Fiesta Tango is giving me fits again. Coach is trying to rearrange my mohawk, entry, hand position and foot position, and I can only think about one thing at a time when actually trying it--so there was no way it was happening yesterday. I'm signed up to do this at a pro-am in six weeks. Call 911 in advance...You'll be fine. Just remember to extend on the first run, point your toes out on the cross-behind, which will help the change of edge, which needs to be staccato. Seriously bend your knees on the edge before the Mohawk, and do try to lean back doing those back edges.... and when you step to forwards, look where you're going.... It all helps.

A Hit: Monday is program dance night at the Skating Club of Wilmington, and I did a swing dance with my coach, which she said was one of the best I've done. I'm signed up to do this one too, so at least I won't embarrass myself on half the event.Now, our Swing Dance used to be better than our Fiesta, but right now it's far and away our weakest dance, weaker even than our Willow. And I do love it so.... sob.

flo
04-24-2007, 10:05 AM
If anyone's in the area, there will be a show this weekend in Baltimore:

http://www.nvo.com/niceice

Petlover
04-24-2007, 11:54 AM
Base: My backskin was awesome this morning, and I am actually in control enough to pull in some, rhythm blues end pattern is much closer to what it should be.

Out: traffic from the rink to work was pathetic, it took me twice as long as usual, grrrrrr.

Rusty Blades
04-24-2007, 01:29 PM
Base: My backskin was awesome .....

I don't think we want to know any more ..... 8O LOL!

doubletoe
04-24-2007, 01:59 PM
Jazzpants & Sk8pdx, thanks for the get-well wishes! :)

I am actually enjoying hearing about everyone's progress! Loops! Camel spins! Reverse sits! Yay!!!! Keep it up, y'all!! :D

Tessa
04-24-2007, 07:21 PM
Out -- first time back on ice in two weeks due to "lifestyle issues" as coach calls them. That basically means work. I had a business trip and work that dared to cut into skating time. Back on the ice today I fell twice on the 5-step -- the second time so hard the skating school director was scared for me. Luckily I only hit my knee. The first time I fell was on the WAY padded outer part of my right thigh. Too fat to even bruise! Camel spin also bit the big one.

Base run -- 3 turns continue to improve and I can actually do the pattern now putting my foot down only a few times. It feels so awesome to be able to do these things. We had enough FS time to do all spins. While camel bit the big one, sit change sit was great, back was great, scratch was great and I made strides on the layback. It was really exciting. Edge pulls also rocked.

Except for the great fall. I sit here with an ice pack on my knee right now!

myste12
04-24-2007, 08:38 PM
Base Run: Double toe is starting to make more sense now. I'm really feeling the skating foot pull through on the outside edge as I take-off, and I'm getting up and over my right side to rotate. I used to get less than an inch of distance, but now I'm getting about two blade lengths. For me, that's about 20inches - or 20x longer than where I started!

Out: Beilmann position seems to be out of the question. I started working on it after Nationals, but decided that constant back and shoulder pain and steady ibuprofen intake probably aren't good for me. I am still working on a catch foot layback though. That seems slightly more likely to work out. Progress is slow though. I've managed to catch the foot a few times, but I get dizzy, fall over after a max of 2 revs, and then feel nauseous and have a headache for the next five minutes. Coach says this will get better, so I trudge onward...

Rusty Blades
04-24-2007, 08:47 PM
Single: Spent the whole session doing everything backwards, glides, edges, turns to backwards, turns out of backwards, turns from backwards to backwards, and I ever had some itty-bitty backward change-of-edges going. All showing steady improvement :)

In lesson coach was trying to figure out something to do without distracting me too much from backwards practice so we talked about the edges for a Waltz jump again but I just wasn’t getting the exit edge. I asked what is the first toe jump we’ll do and she showed me the sequence for a toe loop...

Two-Bagger: ... which I DID (sans the airborne part) :mrgreen: That’s going to be FUN! I look forward to playing with that.

She asked about spins - my CW spins weren’t working to good so I got some pointers.

Stolen Base: Then I did a CCW two-foot spin 8O she commented that it looked strong. Hum, I wonder if I am still an “ambidextrous skater”? (I was fairly ambidextrous 37 years ago - LOL! :roll: )

Yer OUT! After 1:30 I was POOPED and called it a night.

tidesong
04-24-2007, 10:49 PM
Base run:
I think I landed 2 double toe loops. Although one was more questionable in terms of underrotation than the other. I actually felt the height for the second, which made me feel happy lol.

Landed 5 double salchows early in the session and was pleased that I could happily work on double toes

Out:
Coach (is leaving in june anyways) is having trouble find time slot for me meaning I have to get another coach now ... decisions decisions decisions.

Mrs Redboots
04-25-2007, 05:55 AM
Base: My backskin was awesome this morning

I don't think we want to know any more ..... 8O LOL!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ROFL!

As for me:

Six! We had a free dance lesson this morning with coach2 (our lessons are all over the place just now), which was fairly successful. Still no ending choreographed, although we think we know more-or-less what we're doing. But the dance is a lot better than last year's version.

Out: But why am I now terrified of the lift???? And Husband hates the bunny-hop we've put in.

jskater49
04-25-2007, 07:52 AM
Out

I got all dressed to skate in the wee hours of this morning. We had a thunderstorm, power was out, dressed by flashlight and candlelight.

Went out the door. Duh. Garage door opener did not work. There's not even a handle on the door to open it by hand!

Oh well, got undressed, went back to bed.

j

Petlover
04-25-2007, 10:12 AM
Oh my goodness, I had a senior blond moment with "backskin" instead of "backspin"!!!!!!! :)

Base: Back left outside 3 turn is now successful with good rideout 3 out 4 times this morning!!!! 1 foot spins are also fractionally improving.

Out: Started learning back inside 3 turns - Oy Vay!!! If I could just keep on my edge and not up on my toepick, I might have a chance!

Skittl1321
04-25-2007, 12:16 PM
Base Run Wonderful lesson- started with jumps in the harness, and that translated into some really excellent waltz jumps out of the harness. Also got some work on my half flip and salchow, and worked (jokingly at first, but it went better than expected) on turning my half flip into a split jump.

Also got some great tips on my backspin, and was able to do quite a few (crappy) revolutions. Generally I'm so suprised I do it- that I then end up messing up.

Also fell trying shoot the ducks about 500 times, but hey, I can finally do a dip far enough down that I can even attempt it! before I was so far off the ice it would have been like a real fall, rather than just a sit the butt down- teaching snowplow sam has improved at least one skill for me! I can dip.

Program isn't great, but isn't embarrassing either. Show is Saturday, and I have another lesson tonight.

out Well the 3-turn side toe hop sequence is out of the program (show is Saturday)... I am just going too fast to get into it. So I switched my lunge-spiral into a spiral-lunge, so the lunge slows me down a bit, and do 3 turn half flip, 3 turn toe loop- toe loop instead. My toe loops are so small, they are essentially footwork.

doubletoe
04-25-2007, 01:29 PM
Base run:
I think I landed 2 double toe loops. Although one was more questionable in terms of underrotation than the other. I actually felt the height for the second, which made me feel happy lol.

Landed 5 double salchows early in the session and was pleased that I could happily work on double toes

Out:
Coach (is leaving in june anyways) is having trouble find time slot for me meaning I have to get another coach now ... decisions decisions decisions.

Woo hoo! :D :bow:

quarkiki2
04-25-2007, 01:45 PM
Totally off-topic, but since I'm not skating too much at the moment:

It's a GIRL!!!

All is well with the ultrasound, her new due date is September 7, 2007.

I guess Milo was right after all!

Isk8NYC
04-25-2007, 01:58 PM
I guess Milo was right after all!HOORAY! Of course Milo knew - my oldest DD predicted my twins before ANYONE even mentioned the possibility. The ultrasound confirmed DD's assertion. BTW, we went out for dinner earlier this week to celebrate our 19th 8O wedding anniversary and the waiter's name was Milo! (And he was a REALLY good waiter, so we overtipped.)

Base:
Good sit spins and waltz jumps. Ran out of time to practice any other freestyle stuff.

Run:
Managed to (badly) get through the Power 3's on the lengthwise axis. Somehow, that's less intimidating than the hockey line axes. Man, that crossover/hold/step for the RFO 3's is scary!

Did a few twizzles - my free foot's too high.
Coach gave me some things to practice.

Out:
I really have terrible footwork and edges. This morning, my very sweet and talented coach said to "remember where you came from!" (Meaning, I was much worse when we started a few months ago! LOL)

Crossover circles (fwd and bkwd) were really bad. I'm convinced that I'm going to slam into the wall on the back crossovers. Next time I have open ice, I'm going to try and use the center ice lengthwise for those, so there IS no wall in the way.

Just for fun. (http://youtube.com/watch?v=tPrm6luPmME)

Skittl1321
04-25-2007, 03:44 PM

It's a GIRL!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!

jazzpants
04-25-2007, 04:48 PM

It's a GIRL!!!

I guess Milo was right after all!Congratulations, quark!!!! :bow:

Just for fun. (http://youtube.com/watch?v=tPrm6luPmME)Now WHY am I NOT surprised that you posted that, given the theme for this week??? :lol: :bow:

Base run:
Worked on forward stroking. Secondary coach worked on posture today and even though I'm not faster, I at least am not hunching forward.

Strike out:
SPIRALS!!! :frus: Man! This one is a mess!!! It got better at the end but not much better. I really have to push that chest forward like I was a pigeon... and keep my shoulders pushed down... knees locked (both of them.) It got bad enough that secondary coach had to pull out...the EVIL Champions cord that you strap to your hands on one end and skates on the other!!!! ("NOOOOO!!! NOT THE CORDS!?!?!") :twisted:

And even after that, there wasn't that much progress b/c of the height of the free leg and the only thing I managed to sorta get is keeping my shoulders down and chest out. I was left with the comments "Tell your trainer that he needs to work you on this too!!!" ("Too late, I already told him last week to start working on this!" I told her. :halo: )

Funny insult of the day: When I finally got the posture that secondary coach wanted, her way of telling me that I've did good with keeping the posture was "WOW!!! I've never knew that you actually have a NECK there!!!" :roll: :twisted: :lol:

Terri C
04-25-2007, 06:15 PM
Congrats Quark!!!

Base run:
Had a clean run through of my test program today, sans the end and towards the end of this post I will explain why.

Struck out the favorite team side:
As I was going into the rink today, one of the kids warned me "Miss Terri, you do not want to go and skate, the roof collapsed and I got some on my arm."
I went in to investigate and yes, part of our rink that we use for freestyle did lose part of the roof. Some of the fiberglass got on my two coaches and another skater. My coaches went to get checked out, and all they have for symptoms were itching. Obviously, they cancelled lessons for the remainder of the afternoon, (mine was one) even if freestyle was moved to the other surface.....

Now we pay all this freakin money to skate freestyle and never mind that the rinks are not maintained to prevent this thing from happening, but couldn't they take a few minutes to resurface the rink we were moved to??:roll:

mikawendy
04-25-2007, 07:05 PM

It's a GIRL!!!

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!

Base Run -
Uh, nope, I'm benched! :??

Out -
I haven't skated since getting home from AN, upon which I was promptly knocked out by this terrible flu.

Feel better soon, doubletoe!!!

tidesong
04-26-2007, 12:07 AM
@doubletoe: oh no... rest well! Anyways its after nationals so you can relax without worrying too much no?
Saw your post in the other thread about the prerotated double toe loops. You have no idea how much I fear those... will you have videos from nationals? I personally think my toe loops at my nationals (at least the ones done in combination) were prerotated but I didnt get any downgrades... so I don't know if I'm just being too severe or if the judges were being lenient (but they did downgrade some very obvious toe axels...)
is this prerotated?
http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/8076/toeloop1tz7.jpg
sigh :giveup:

@quarkiki2 : Congrats!!

Thin-Ice
04-26-2007, 04:30 AM
Base Hit: (This may even be a double!) Lesson with primary coach went really well. Did one run-through of my Interp. program and waited for her comments. All she said was "Do it like that everytime. Let's move on to spins." 8O

Spins were ok (didn't try any camels). Moved on to jumps. Everything went well -- except the lutz.. but at least my head didn't freak out about the jump the way it has the past couple of months. And I did land two reasonable ones.. with one other attempt 2-footed (but fully-rotated and took off from a clean edge!).

Then it was on to Moves. I figured this is where the lesson goes downhill. I ran the entire test... and she said "You need to hold your position a little longer before turning the BO3s. Are you planning to test this soon?" I kind of wait for her to tell me she thinks I'm ready, before setting a date.. and we decided before summer is over I WILL take this test. Uh-oh, now the nerves set it. Afterwards one of the Novice ladies said "you had more power than I've seen you skate with". That may have been a homerun, since she's usually so focused on her lesson she hardly notices anyone else (and I mean that in a good way... she never gets in anyone's way, but she isn't paying attention to what anyone else is actually doing, just where they are).

Strike Out: Uhm, wondering if I can duplicate how well everything went today any other time in the next year!

All in all a great skate-day.

Sessy
04-26-2007, 05:53 AM
Went to the doctor today with that anckle.

He says I should keep stretching it a lot, smear it with some heating gelly or something (got the receipy in my bag) and keep it moving, but not jumping, and it should be okay.
My achillis tendon is apparently irritated or something.

Scarlett
04-26-2007, 05:54 AM
Quarkiki2

Congratulations! Wishing you and your new daughter to be the best!

Skittl1321
04-26-2007, 08:26 AM
out I had a make up lesson yesterday on Freestyle ice. I'm still not quite ready for Freestyle sessions yet. I just get way to scared by all the kids doing doubles, and there really isn't anyone who is around my level on the ice (even though, I'm really past public session ice). I didn't have a good practice- just did some warm up laps, 2 of every jump, and then got off the ice until my lesson.

base run But the lesson went okay. It's not as scary on the ice with a coach running interference for you :) I ran through my program once, and replacing the 3-turn side toe hop combination with 3-turn half flip, 3-turn toe loop, toe loop is MUCH better. (AKA I can do it)

I am also proud to announce that I think my waltz jump now qualifies as an actual jump, and I can do it from speed! It's my only jump that has any height or "float" to it.

I did some "good" toe loops, salchows, half flips, and half lutzes. I'm definetly jumping, and landing them well, but they don't get very high and have very little hang time. I also did some good work on my loop, which my coach says is recognizable- but I still think if I asked another skater to identify the jump they wouldn't be able to. But still, at least its going somewhere.

Lots of work on the backspin. I'm doing much better, but am ending it by stepping down on my right foot, rather than kicking out my right leg. Both are better options then falling though :)

So I'm sticking with public sessions a bit longer- which is a shame, because while freestyle was crazy and intimidating, there are only about 15 kids on the ice (it's amazing how they take up more ice than the 50-100 on public!)

Rusty Blades
04-26-2007, 10:16 AM
Out!: After skating Monday morning and Tuesday afternoon, the old legs were a bit stiff this morning - those backward skating muscles were protesting so much exercise! LOL!

Base Hit: Moving back to a morning session on Thursdays is GREAT! Only 3 other skaters on the ice this morning and no little kiddies trying to commit hara kira under the big woman :roll:

Focused mainly on backwards again in practice, yet AGAIN. LOTS more backwards! The objective is to have my backward edges as good as my forward edges one day soon and it's like learning to skate all over again, only this time putting my best side forward ;)

Pop-Up In lesson today coach reviewed back edges and then we worked some on my not-so-great 3-Turns and played with spins some more. I like my coach, really! She has a good eye and immediately picks up on what I am doing wrong. (That IS good, isn't it???) Now all I have to do is FIX it! LOL!

Isk8NYC
04-26-2007, 10:53 AM
Base:
One of my students invented a new spin entry. She does a LFO spiral and somehow manages to hook a forward spin! I tried it and I really like it - practiced it a few times myself.

Started working on an opposite (CW) back spin. I think it will help me skate better, including demonstrating for my CW students.

Just found out that the pro practices are at the same time (different rink) from my very nice and unwatched freestyle practice session. So, my freestyle card will last a bit longer than I expected. Think I'll go early to the pro practice and see if there's dead ice beforehand for a skate.

Run:
I've discovered that I can do salchows without thinking. I was demonstrating and talking at the same time (anyone have some gum?) and I walked through a *real* waltz-salchow combination without cheating or faking it at all!
(Isn't that a runner's trick? If you can't talk, you're running too hard/fast?)

Spirals were really good, considering I didn't stretch at all. Fwd threes on both feet were excellent and (r) double back threes were floating nicely!

Out:
I really don't like skating early in the morning. Forgot to stretch after skating, so I'm sure I'll pay for this tomorrow.
I know lots of people do it, but I'm exhausted after being on the ice at 6:30am and it's still morning.

sk8_4fun
04-26-2007, 12:27 PM
base This morning I took my Passport (skate UK) Bronze Dance, and passed. Then, unscheduled I took bronze Free and passed that too! :D

out My half decent spin vanished before the test????8O dissapointing but I passed anyway.

Petlover
04-26-2007, 12:32 PM
Quarkiki CONGRATULATIONS!!

Base: Salchow was working well, waltz jump tape toe waltz jump was high and light.

Out: That darn 1 foot spin! I feel like I'm right on the edge of getting a good one but it's not happening. Coach will have her work cut out for her tomorrow morning, I am determined to have a fabulous 1 foot spin.

flo
04-26-2007, 12:43 PM
Quarkiki2
Congrats!!!!!!!

Base Run: skated my third session in my new boots. I think I've tried just about everything except for doubles in them. It's taking a little time getting use to the lower cut back and elastic cuff, but I really do like them. I can actually point my toe, and my heel stays in place.

Out: The one problem I'm having is that the area where the leather ends and the elastic begins is rubbing against the back of my tendon.
I'm hoping to find something that works or try to shave it down. I have a show this weekend with new program.

doubletoe
04-26-2007, 06:21 PM
@doubletoe: oh no... rest well! Anyways its after nationals so you can relax without worrying too much no?
Saw your post in the other thread about the prerotated double toe loops. You have no idea how much I fear those... will you have videos from nationals? I personally think my toe loops at my nationals (at least the ones done in combination) were prerotated but I didnt get any downgrades... so I don't know if I'm just being too severe or if the judges were being lenient (but they did downgrade some very obvious toe axels...)
is this prerotated?
http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/8076/toeloop1tz7.jpg
sigh :giveup:

@quarkiki2 : Congrats!!

Thanks! :) My thoughts exactly; I'm glad the Skating Gods were kind enough to keep me from getting sick until after Nationals! The videos of the competitions are supposed to be posted on www.IceNetwork.com at some point, but I'm not sure when they'll be up.
It looks like you are just turning 90 degrees on takeoff (not 180), which is normal and fine. Which country do you skate in, by the way?

Terri C
04-26-2007, 06:31 PM
Base Run:
Hit every sitspin I attempted today. Worked more on Silver moves with Secondary Coach, who I will now refer to as "Henny Penny" because of the incident that I posted about yesterday. Primary Coach is now "Chicken Little"

Strike Out:
My program run through on lesson was not good- blew the loop, "forgot" where I was supposed to be after that, but recovered okay for another good sitspin.
The real strike out came toward the end of the program when I do a 8 step mohawk sequence into scratchspin. Another coach and skater were there and moved but not enough where I had to cut around them. When doing that, I hit step 4 on the heel of my blade and fell very hard, so hard that my butt is sore, I bit a good chuck off of my tongue (from tucking my chin in!) and my left wrist is a tad sore. Took a hot shower and will take Tylenol PM tonight.

tidesong
04-26-2007, 09:28 PM
Thanks! :) My thoughts exactly; I'm glad the Skating Gods were kind enough to keep me from getting sick until after Nationals! The videos of the competitions are supposed to be posted on www.IceNetwork.com at some point, but I'm not sure when they'll be up.
It looks like you are just turning 90 degrees on takeoff (not 180), which is normal and fine. Which country do you skate in, by the way?

I skate in Singapore. Hmmm ok, whoo thats a relief to hear haha.

@Terri C: ouch! any fall I take on any step sequences/crossovers almost invariably hurt worse than those from my jumps. Gratz on the sit spins :D

Sk8pdx
04-27-2007, 01:17 AM
Practiced on mall ice today. though I have skated on worse, generally it was an easy going practice.
Base Hit:
Camel spin, centered scratch spins!, getting a consistent 2 revs on backspin, salchow, toe loop. :P

Out:
Loop, sit spin, footwork.:??
~sk8pdx

Thin-Ice
04-27-2007, 03:21 AM
Strike Out: The real strike out came toward the end of the program when I do a 8 step mohawk sequence into sitspin. Another coach and skater were there and moved but not enough where I had to cut around them. When doing that, I hit step 4 on the heel of my blade and fell very hard, so hard that my butt is sore, I bit a good chuck off of my tongue (from tucking my chin in!) and my left wrist is a tad sore. Took a hot shower and will take Tylenol PM tonight.

OUCH!!! I hope you don't hurt too much today and feel better by tomorrow.

Thin-Ice
04-27-2007, 03:23 AM
base This morning I took my Passport (skate UK) Bronze Dance, and passed. Then, unscheduled I took bronze Free and passed that too! :D

out My half decent spin vanished before the test????8O dissapointing but I passed anyway.

CONGRATULATIONS!!! How cool you could just take your Bronze Free while you were skating well.. despite the spin disappearing. You must have been having a good day if you could pass without the spin!

Mrs Redboots
04-27-2007, 06:02 AM

Wow, well done! Only two more levels to go before you discover "real" tests.... do make sure you watch a couple of test sessions at your rink before that happens, as they really are quite different.

It's a GIRL!!!

Yay! Girls are great. Do you have a name for her yet?

As for me:

Six! Spent a fantastic 40 minutes working with Husband this morning; we finished the free dance, got a run-through to the music (still needs work, of course), and then ran through Husband's free so I can send his PCS off to the various competition organisers. Then we did a Willow and a Fiesta to finish with.

Out: The big trouble is that I have nothing to work on solo, and can be very unmotivated, as I was this morning. I basically just chatted once he'd gone. Sigh.

Rob Dean
04-27-2007, 06:55 AM
... Call 911 in advance...

I shouldn't make jokes like that...

OUT: The rest of the week and perhaps into next is out for me. After posting that last note, I went out for a bike ride at lunch with the usual group of riders at work. Somewhere along the way, at what they tell me was a speed of about 17mph (~28kph) I managed to contact the rear wheel of the rider in front of me and ended up in the road. As the last rider in the group, nobody saw the details, but I must have come down on my helmet, judging from its state and the comparatively light scrapes. I don't actually remember this at all, nor the last couple of minutes of the ride in general, and when I came to myself again, I was strapped to a backboard in an ambulance with a neckbrace on, with the paramedics asking me if I remembered my name. This was about an hour later. So, I had a little unscheduled trip to the emergency room for a CT scan of my head, and assessment of condition. They tell me that I wasn't actually out more than very briefly, but I was not remembering anything. Luckily I didn't break anything, but I've got scrapes still scabbing over, and the concussion obviously knocked me loopy. Given that, I feel pretty good today, but I won't be skating at least until all the scabs are formed. (With a helmet...for a very gentle test...maybe Monday.) I was surprised when they told me at the hospital to take it easy just for a week or so, and gave me a slip to return to work today. (I've got lots of sick time; I'll go back Monday.) I may have to reconsider priorities; if I'm going to injure myself, I'd rather do it skating than biking. :)

Rob

Isk8NYC
04-27-2007, 07:51 AM
Terri C - Ouch. Have some ice / ice cream for that tongue. Feel better.

Rob - I'm so sorry you had a bike accident. ooooo. Gentle hugs for your sore and scraped up body.
Replace your helmet, please. It's done its duty and new one would be better.

Ice was bad again - when there are "fossilized" tire tracks on the ice, something's wrong.

Base:
Upright spins were okay, nothing spectacular.
Back spins were terrible - I swear my skates are too big on that foot.

Run:
Turns and edges were excellent, as long as I avoided the tire tracks.
Spirals and lunges were great - even managed a backward lunge. (Not one of my fav's.)

Out:
Knee is painful, no jumps for a while.

jskater49
04-27-2007, 08:50 AM
Base Run:
The real strike out came toward the end of the program when I do a 8 step mohawk sequence into sitspin. Another coach and skater were there and moved but not enough where I had to cut around them. When doing that, I hit step 4 on the heel of my blade and fell very hard, so hard that my butt is sore, I bit a good chuck off of my tongue (from tucking my chin in!) and my left wrist is a tad sore. Took a hot shower and will take Tylenol PM tonight.

Oh my gosh - that sounds awful.

Base run - very good lesson today. The rink is all decorated for the ice show th is weekend and it felt weird with the black curtians and black arond the barrier

Still working the moves - back edges/landing position has gotten much better, I thought it would since I used to do these well - kept my head up...just need to not rush the crossovers which I do in all the moves that have crossovers (which is pretty much all of them except the mohawks)

We focused on the 3 turns -- I have really made improvements in these turns but I had this terrible habit of toe scratching the crossover before stepping onto my LO edge for the 3 turn. One word made all the difference "REBEND" duh...but I was also doing a lot of toe pushing so we went back and reviewed a proper push from the side rather than pushing behind me. This helped me get more power, because, they are called "POWER 3s" :roll:

I was pretty happy how it went so I'm not calling any outs today.

Tonight is the dress rehearsal for the ice show - my daughter has a solo.

j

Petlover
04-27-2007, 11:33 AM
Rob Dean, take care and get well quick!

Out: I worked on the one foot spin with coach, I'm still not happy with it, but she gave me some stuff to work on so hopefully it will improve soon. It's okay, but I will keep working until it's lots better.

Base: My back edges are really getting good. I finally have the right push-off, good lobes, and feel like they are fun!

Have a wonderful weekend everyone.

tidesong
04-27-2007, 11:48 AM
jskater49 : oooh wow curtains make it sound all cool o.O

I have no idea if its base run or strike out. But i'm positivily obessed over my double toe loop. I did 5 axels and 5 double salchows and then went on to throw my self at double toes for the rest of the session :P
I landed maybe 5 half under, 5 quarter unders and 1 or 2 1/8th unders. I'm pretty sure I didn't hit a perfect clean one today :( Oh well. My behind hurts like crazy from the falls.

Rusty Blades
04-27-2007, 11:54 AM
.... I must have come down on my helmet ...

Rob

Geez Rob, glad you didn't land on anything IMPORTANT!

What was this you were saying about 911 ?

(Sorry, somebody had to say it!)

jazzpants
04-27-2007, 11:58 AM
Terri C: OUCH!!! That hard!!! Yes, ice cream for the tongue (what a WONDERFUL excuse to have ice cream, huh? ;) :twisted: ) and rest your wrist.

Rob Dean: DOH!!! Sorry to hear about your bike accident.

By the time you read this, it's probably Sunday night, but I hope you've enjoyed the showcase this weekend in Roseville. (And since e-skater knows now... sorry I can't make it to the showcase. The hours for the events of interest for me is way too early for me. (And of course, gas prices... :cry: )

Base run: We've worked on more of my straightline footwork today. I'm starting to eek out a little bit of flow today. But I still need a WHOLE LOTTA curve in the footwork.

Out: The "pose" at the end of the footwork sequence that primary coach wanted me to do. :oops: Showed hubby and his quote was "Geez, looks like a cross between Chorus Line and "I'm a little tea pot!!" :oops: :oops: :oops: (I think I better get secondary coach in on the pose thing. This is really embarassing.)

Funny quote of the week:
Coach: "Push your chest out!!!"
(Jazzpants tries to push her chest out...)
Coach: "No your chest, not your tummy!"
(Jazzpants tries again... her tummy is at least not coming out as much but fails to push the chest out again...)
Coach "Push the CHEST out!!!"
Me: "I *AM* pushing my CHEST out!!! I don't HAVE much chest!!!" :x :oops: :P

doubletoe
04-27-2007, 12:04 PM
I shouldn't make jokes like that...

OUT: The rest of the week and perhaps into next is out for me. After posting that last note, I went out for a bike ride at lunch with the usual group of riders at work. Somewhere along the way, at what they tell me was a speed of about 17mph (~28kph) I managed to contact the rear wheel of the rider in front of me and ended up in the road. As the last rider in the group, nobody saw the details, but I must have come down on my helmet, judging from its state and the comparatively light scrapes. I don't actually remember this at all, nor the last couple of minutes of the ride in general, and when I came to myself again, I was strapped to a backboard in an ambulance with a neckbrace on, with the paramedics asking me if I remembered my name. This was about an hour later. So, I had a little unscheduled trip to the emergency room for a CT scan of my head, and assessment of condition. They tell me that I wasn't actually out more than very briefly, but I was not remembering anything. Luckily I didn't break anything, but I've got scrapes still scabbing over, and the concussion obviously knocked me loopy. Given that, I feel pretty good today, but I won't be skating at least until all the scabs are formed. (With a helmet...for a very gentle test...maybe Monday.) I was surprised when they told me at the hospital to take it easy just for a week or so, and gave me a slip to return to work today. (I've got lots of sick time; I'll go back Monday.) I may have to reconsider priorities; if I'm going to injure myself, I'd rather do it skating than biking. :)

Rob

Oh, wow, Rob, I am SO glad you had a helmet on, and I hope you are 100% better soon!
Out of curiosity, did you remember your name? I fell and hit my head when I was a kid and when I woke up to all of these concerned people asking if I remembered my name, I discovered that I didn't. So I tried to think of any girls' names at all to see if I could guess which one it was, ROFL! Apparently, what they say is true: Ignorance is bliss. I was the only one who was sort of enjoying the experience and wasn't worried. Not that I'd want to repeat it, of course. . .

Rob Dean
04-27-2007, 12:42 PM
Oh, wow, Rob, I am SO glad you had a helmet on...
Out of curiosity, did you remember your name?

I did remember my name...in the first round of Q&A that I remember. When I got past the part where the paramedic were asking me questions and I started in on a few, I was a little disconcerted to have them tell me that I had asked the same questions on a previous (unremembered) round. So I don't know how many times they might have asked my name when I didn't remember it...

Yes, I'm glad I was wearing a helmet, too, though I always do for that. I will replace it before the next ride; this one will probably go on the wall as a reminder display.

I've been watching for symptoms of anything more serious; they gave me a list at the hospital. Of course, as one of my family members commented being irritable, drowsy, and crazy is my normal condition, so how could they tell? :) (So, Dianne, as you say, luckily I didn't land on anything vital...)

Rob

Scarlett
04-27-2007, 01:03 PM
Everyone be careful...Lots of accidents this week.

My coach is out of town for an extended period so I had my first lesson with the interim coach. It is interesting to work with different teaching styles though disconcerning at times.

Base Run - Landed 3 beautiful loops today. Backspin was on.

Out - Those accursed bronze moves. Yes they are already accursed. I'm not a big fan of mohawks and keep doing choctaws instead (though not purposely). The step before my slide chasse isn't anywhere near something called an edge on the power 3s.

jskater49
04-27-2007, 01:15 PM
The step before my slide chasse isn't anywhere near something called an edge on the power 3s.

You mean the mohawks right?

J

Isk8NYC
04-27-2007, 01:19 PM
The step before my slide chasse isn't anywhere near something called an edge on the power 3s.I'm curious, too: is the "slide chasse" in your end pattern between the LFO3 and RFO3 patterns?
http://www.usfigureskating.org/content/adultvideos/Moves%20Diagrams/Bronze%203.pdf

We do back crossovers around the end, cross and hold at the corner (like a spin entry) LBI, then push onto a RFO edge for the first three-turn on that side. That's a Choctaw step, maybe that's what you meant?

Scarlett
04-27-2007, 04:11 PM
Sorry. I was on crack. See what the bronze moves do to me. I meant to say the slide chasse on the mohawk pattern. My issue with the power 3 pattern is stepping on an outside edge because in the pre-bronze pattern you have to make sure to step on an inside edge. :frus:

Tessa
04-27-2007, 05:59 PM
Sheesh! What is it with the mohawks this week? :giveup: Will so NOT be doing them tomorrow at practice.

Congrats on the GIRRRRRLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!

dbny
04-27-2007, 08:55 PM
sk8_4fun - CONGRATULATIONS!

Quark - Hooray for a GIRL!

Terri C - OUCH! Step 4 is notorious, and I've seen many kids, including DD, hit the ice hard on it. It's the reason I quite practicing the 8 step. As soon as I start to pick up speed, fear gets the better of me, and I figure I can leave it for later :roll:.

Rob Dean - Wow, that was a close call! Once again, thank goodness you were wearing a helmet! I'm surprised the doc sent you back to work. He obviously doesn't know much about concussions. Good for you for knowing better.

Out:
Was exhausted all week, and started feeling like I'm coming down with some respiratory thing on Tuesday, so I haven't had a good, solid practice all week.
Made it to my lesson rink today and realized I simply could not face the challenge of a lesson. Happily, an adult skater friend was there and wanted the time with my coach.

Base Run:
In spite of lack of practice, one foot spin hasn't suffered, as I got a really good one from T push today. Since I didn't feel like serious practice, I just fooled around with FI and FO threes in the middle while a friend did the same, and they actually started to feel easy and comfy instead of difficult and scary.

Just Weird:
I volunteered to teach the adult groups (everyone else groaned :x), never imagining that one of them would be basic skills HOCKEY 8O. I got through last week's class because the guys wanted to work on stops, but afterwards, I reviewed Hockey 1-4 in the Instructor's Manual to see if there were any skills I don't recognize. I'm OK except for something called "hockey turns". So, today I asked one of the regular Friday adult hockey guys about them, and I learned them from him! I suspect that they can't be done entirely properly on figure skates because of the tail of the blade, the flatter rocker, and the stiffer boot, but I'll ask my coach next week. She teaches hockey skills and will know for sure. If anyone here knows, please feel free to chime in.

jskater49
04-27-2007, 10:45 PM
Sorry. I was on crack. See what the bronze moves do to me. I meant to say the slide chasse on the mohawk pattern. My issue with the power 3 pattern is stepping on an outside edge because in the pre-bronze pattern you have to make sure to step on an inside edge. :frus:

I just fixed those today with one magic word -- REBEND - rebend your knees before you step onto the outside edge for the 3 turns - it makes all the difference.

j

Mrs Redboots
04-28-2007, 12:12 PM
I've been watching for symptoms of anything more serious; they gave me a list at the hospital. Of course, as one of my family members commented being irritable, drowsy, and crazy is my normal condition, so how could they tell? :) (So, Dianne, as you say, luckily I didn't land on anything vital...)

RobWell, do be very careful. Joking apart, concussion is no fun at all and you must be exceptionally careful for the next few weeks.

Terri C
04-28-2007, 12:15 PM
Base Run:
Went to the other rink in town today to skate. As I was driving there, a part of me told me I was crazy for getting back on the ice so soon after the nasty fall on Thursday (I'm still a little achy in the neck and shoulders). The other half of me said that I had to get back on the ice as quickly as possible for mental reasons.
And guess how I warmed up my scratch spin- from the 8 step!! Just took it a tad slower than usual.
Sitspin has not gone away yet!!

Out:
Some of the postings regarding the toe loop downgrades at AN on the DVD thread have me a little concerned about my toe loop. I will be sure to have coaches give it a extra look this week.

Next week, in fact I'll have my coaches get nitpicky on elements- I really want to pass this time and put this 5-6 year battle with this test behind me!

Sessy
04-28-2007, 02:08 PM
I just did a backspin on socks. And on roller skates, I finally got my foot over my head yesterday. Of course now my groin is sore but hey.

Also I figured out what the problem was with my sit spin, I think. I can't get down in the sit spin, even though I have great hydroblades! However, the hydroblades I do at the back of my blade, and the sit spin needs to go to the front of the blade. I've actually done real sit spins, but they were on the back of the blade on an outside edge every time.
When I tried to get on the front wheels of my roller skates yesterday in a hydroblade position, I couldn't get down either. So I sat down on the back wheels and then tried to lean on the front ones. And I discovered... that I simply am not flexible enough to do it! Apparently I'm at the max of the flexibility of my thigh (mainly, back thigh) muscles doing hydroblades. I don't have that extra inch it takes to lean to the front. I do indeed have very inflexible leg muscles. However, I intend to stretch it all summer and see if it does anything for my sitspin in september! Somehow I've got the hunch that it IS the problem though.

jazzpants
04-28-2007, 06:30 PM
STRIKE OUT:

My home rink has the ditch problem AGAIN that I had back last summer!!! We're faced with ANOTHER closure for maybe 2 weeks to melt down the ice, fix the problem and then rebuild back the ice again. GRRRR!!! :x :frus:

Base run:
Didn't skate! Taking a break today! :D

WannabeS8r
04-28-2007, 06:58 PM
Base Run

Landed loop, loop/loop, flip (which was not loop-y at least once), toe, waltz; I think everything has improved except my edge sometimes slips out on the landing & take-off (I think I'm still adjusting to my new blades/skates ;)).
My scratch spin got much better with my new skates!!!!! I even did several where I practically did not travel at all. Wow. It feels so smooth and fast (maybe just to me, but..)!
Back-spin was also better, more centered.
My sit spin feels very smooth... I love it now. I finally stopped keeping my free leg somewhere off to the side, now it's slightly crossed over my spinning leg. I am going to practice it a lot to get it really low & fast!
Managed to do RBI and LBI 3turns, with a really awkward free leg position though and 0 flow.
Spiral got much higher, though now it's harder to control my very curved edge.

Strike Out

I keep flutzing my lutz, I just am not used to jumping off an outside edge. I will work on it, though, and i hope to get it by next week.
I was really tired, and because of that, I kept putting my free foot down when I landed my jumps.
Salchow = evil. I chicken out on it.
Camel spin stinks. The highest I got is 3 slow rotations. It's something having to do with my horrible entrance, like the curve is not perfect or something. Hopefully I can fix it in a few weeks.

Scarlett
04-28-2007, 10:42 PM
Base Run - Went to a synchro open house today. Everyone there was really friendly and it looks like it will be a lot of fun. After many falls, I finally managed to grasp the concept of back lunges.

Out - I suck. Skating next to someone going at about 5x the speed you are used to is really scary. Also my footwork has always been abysmal (I'm much more a jumper) so I really need to work on being comfortable with all my turns and really picking up the pace. I have a lot of work to do this summer to be ready for practices in the fall.

jcookie1982
04-29-2007, 10:51 AM
Base Run - Went to a synchro open house today. Everyone there was really friendly and it looks like it will be a lot of fun. After many falls, I finally managed to grasp the concept of back lunges.

Out - I suck. Skating next to someone going at about 5x the speed you are used to is really scary. Also my footwork has always been abysmal (I'm much more a jumper) so I really need to work on being comfortable with all my turns and really picking up the pace. I have a lot of work to do this summer to be ready for practices in the fall.

You did a really good job for your first time. Belive me, it scared the crap out of me the first time I tried it, but you get used to it. I hope you decide to come back when the season starts because it really is a lot of fun!

Sessy
04-29-2007, 02:57 PM
Made some video's of my roller skating cuz another girl on a dutch forum asked to show a mohawk and crossovers. It didn't look as bad as I thought it would, it actually looked pretty good. I almost got rid of a bad habit in my crossovers I think/hope.

WannabeS8r
04-29-2007, 06:33 PM
Sunday, April 29th

Base run

I did NOT flutz most of my lutzes!
Did an *almost* pancake spin
Sit spins were nice and low, not sure about the centering, though
Flips, Flip/loops, Loop/loop, toe all went nicely
Landed my first lutz/loop; nice and high
Did like 99% of my scratch/change/scratch successfully!
Loved all the scratch spins! <3

Strike out

Horrible salchows - landed only once. It's my nemesis or something. :twisted:
I don't get the sit/change/sit: I can't spin after I change.
Camels were terrible. Definitely less than 4 rotations.

Sessy
04-30-2007, 02:34 AM
What's a pancake spin

sk8_4fun
04-30-2007, 11:17 AM
CONGRATULATIONS!!! How cool you could just take your Bronze Free while you were skating well.. despite the spin disappearing. You must have been having a good day if you could pass without the spin!

Thank you!:)

jazzpants
04-30-2007, 11:48 AM
base This morning I took my Passport (skate UK) Bronze Dance, and passed. Then, unscheduled I took bronze Free and passed that too! :D YAAAAAY, Jayne!!! Congrats to you!!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

http://www.cosgan.de/images/midi/musik/l045.gif

PAARTAY TIME!!!

http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/musik/n020.gif

WannabeS8r
04-30-2007, 12:55 PM
What's a pancake spin

Here's an example. http://www.frogsonice.com/skateweb/reports/2002-easterns/jrmen/aronowitz-3.jpg
Basically it's a sit spin but the free leg is bent over the spinning knee. Sort of tucked in, if you get what I mean. ;)

Emberchyld
04-30-2007, 08:06 PM
A bit late from yesterday:

I wasn't able to skate for 2 weeks, had a number of injuries, and freshly sharpened skates, so I was terrified to go to LTS Sunday, buuuuuuut....

Base Run: I got on our warm-up session and the blades, my knee, and the ice felt woooooonnnnderful. There's nothing, nothing like the magic of feeling comfortable on the ice.

No one else showed up for LTS, so I had a private, where my instructor ran through all of my "to dos" to pass Freestyle 1 and worked with me on the left-over elements... The elements that I did know were great (for once).

Now... scratch spin... That's an Out still, but at least I FINALLY :roll: understand the whole step into the circle, move forward into the spin. Seriously, how many times do I need to be told that to get the little lightbulb to work? Now all I have to do is: "coordinate your arms and legs, look the way that you're spinning, and see, that's easy!" :frus:

and out on BO3s. grr.