View Full Version : Doubles Advice

IceAge
04-23-2007, 08:50 AM
Well, here is the thing.I don't have any problems with height or rotation on my doubles and I feel confident with them.But somehow I keep 2footing them.I tried to jump from a backspin but it haven't improved anything :frus: Considering I've been doing them for 2 months I should be happy anyway, but it's very annoying to do something half way :?? Any advice,please?:bow:
BTW Sometimes I've got the same issue with my axel.

chowskates
04-23-2007, 10:05 AM
Well, here is the thing.I don't have any problems with height or rotation on my doubles and I feel confident with them.But somehow I keep 2footing them.I tried to jump from a backspin but it haven't improved anything :frus: Considering I've been doing them for 2 months I should be happy anyway, but it's very annoying to do something half way :?? Any advice,please?:bow:
BTW Sometimes I've got the same issue with my axel.

Honestly, it is hard to advise without actually seeing your jump!

But just to share, I have the 2-footing problem too, and am often frustrated because I would feel confident to rotate, but the L foot would invariably tap down on the landing.

Jumps from backspins help you "feel" the landing, as in, once you have achieved the right position, you will be able to land easily (yes trust me, you will!)

But for me, the big difference comes from the snap into the backspin position in the air. No amount of jumps from backspins would do that. Instead, try this: start with an open backspin - with free leg and arms out, and then quickly pull free leg and arms in for a tight and fast spin. That is what it will feel like in the air (though I dont' always get it! ARGH!!!)

So, the times I get the right position, the landing is nice and easy. The many other times when I don't... uh... nevermind!

Cheers,
Chow

badaxel
04-23-2007, 11:27 AM
Are you two-footing them with your feet crossed or opened? In other words, are you using the free leg for balance, or is it that you are still in the backspin position when you land? I think they have different causes.

IceAge
04-23-2007, 12:14 PM
I land in a backspin position.What is strange I DO land on the right foot and I feel the back outside edge,but I immidiately "help myself" with the left foot.When I force myself to land on one foot, the jump is underrotated.

coskater64
04-23-2007, 01:27 PM
It would appear you have answered your own question...learn the waltz-backspin, salchow-backspin, etc and if you get bored with that do waltz-loop-loop etc.

I am having to relearn all of this and these exercise are very helpful it will take a while, also, if possible get a coach, what works for me may not work for you. But as someone who does not like taking their full weight on their newly rebuilt hip you have to, if the jumps is gonna count.

Have fun,

coskater