View Full Version : Cost of synchro

Logan3
04-22-2007, 02:49 PM
ok, we always struggling with money and somebody in the rink told me to switch to a synchro group because it is cheaper than singles. Is this true? Did you guys know how much the cost of a competitive synchro program is? My dd is now FS3 and 7years old. I understand that it depends on the program but any idea would be usefull. Thanks!

jskater49
04-22-2007, 03:25 PM
Um...we don't have syncro here but for everyone I know, syncro is an added cost because very few skaters give up singles for synchro. I believe most of them have to pass moves test to be on the team and and many teams require dance....so I just don't see that as a cost saving measure.

j

dooobedooo
04-22-2007, 05:01 PM
The problem with synchro is that you can't just bail out and say "no" to competitions because of the cost or inconvenience. You have to do everything that the rest of the team does for the entire season - that means all the costumes, all the travel, all the entry fees etc. If your synchro team is successful and has to travel nationally and internationally, it can be a real bank-breaker.

There are other benefits to being in a synchro team - it is good for learning footwork, teamwork, less solitary than singles skating, etc. But do discuss the expected costs up-front with the team coaches or leaders, before you commit. If your rink has a so-called development synchro group which does not compete, then it might be a lot cheaper.

Have you discussed cost issues with your daughter's coach? He/she might be able to arrange group lessons for things like field moves and off-ice.

jp1andOnly
04-22-2007, 05:28 PM
synchro could be cheaper if you have a recreational team BUT...

you need to pass TESTS, which means you have to still skate. Many skating teams require you to freeskate. dance. MIF at least 1 other day independently of synchro.

PLUS when you are on a team you travel as one, you wear the same outfits, you have the same garment bags.

As a singles skater, you can be a rec skater, take tests, compete locally. I know lots of skaters who skate just 2 days a week, take tests and only do local competitions. Yes, they aren't "competitive" kids, but they work hard on what they do and they love it.

ok, we always struggling with money and somebody in the rink told me to switch to a synchro group because it is cheaper than singles. Is this true? Did you guys know how much the cost of a competitive synchro program is? My dd is now FS3 and 7years old. I understand that it depends on the program but any idea would be usefull. Thanks!

AW1
04-23-2007, 02:18 AM
I would suggest speaking to a few "potential" teams (if you have the luxury where you live)...

Most can give you a fair idea of what their teams costs were for the previous season which should give you a good indication.

Like dooobedooo said, you can't just opt to say no to things though so if you sign on, and the club says "we're getting training costumes and a club warm up suit which are $300" for example, you can't say no ...

I found that the costumes were more expensive for synchro too when I was (briefly) involved in it.

Logan3
04-23-2007, 07:41 AM
ok, it looks like it will be an added cost for us right now. Garment bag :roll: you must be kiding ! Maybe it is cheaper if you compare a high-end singles competitor with a competitive team? So all this talk might be for the very future assuming my dd stays with the sport. She does like the idea of the group and the friendships but she is very athletic and her favorite part of skating is jumping. One of the coaches in the rink did synchro, went to the worlds and all that, very accomplished but I think she told me that she switched to synchro in highschool. Oh boy! I just wished I had a great soccer player instead: 160$for fall AND sping town league. 150$ for winter indoor soccer and ok I could throw 100$ for clinics. All for less than 500$ and you get a chance to play in your high school team and even college.....

chantelly
04-23-2007, 08:09 AM
ok, it looks like it will be an added cost for us right now. Garment bag :roll: you must be kiding ! Maybe it is cheaper if you compare a high-end singles competitor with a competitive team? So all this talk might be for the very future assuming my dd stays with the sport. She does like the idea of the group and the friendships but she is very athletic and her favorite part of skating is jumping. One of the coaches in the rink did synchro, went to the worlds and all that, very accomplished but I think she told me that she switched to synchro in highschool. Oh boy! I just wished I had a great soccer player instead: 160$for fall AND sping town league. 150$ for winter indoor soccer and ok I could throw 100$ for clinics. All for less than 500$ and you get a chance to play in your high school team and even college.....

Yes I'm trying to convince my son to take up chess or something! Its hurting my wallet having 2 skaters (plus a 2 year old just waiting for her feet to grow!)

quarkiki2
04-23-2007, 08:12 AM
The "Garment Bag" made me chuckle -- our team bought garment bags this year, but they were only about $14.00, so it was the LEAST expensive part of the season, LOL!

Skittl1321
04-23-2007, 08:41 AM

Be careful what you wish for- my cousins play elite soccer and they spend about as much as an elite figure skater. They regularly fly across country just for a single game, but I think the coach tries to make sure they have at least 2 scheduled. Over Easter they had a 5 hour (one way) drive across texas for a SCRIMMAGE.

dmmains
04-23-2007, 08:24 PM
Yes I'm trying to convince my son to take up chess or something! Its hurting my wallet having 2 skaters (plus a 2 year old just waiting for her feet to grow!)

I know the feeling. Both of my sons skate and the amount of money we spend is truly scarey. Skating has it's own category in my Quicken checkbook and I cringe everytime I look at the total. What we do for our kids, huh? I just hope they remember all this when we're old and broke with no retirement fund.

jskater49
04-24-2007, 06:55 AM
I know the feeling. Both of my sons skate and the amount of money we spend is truly scarey. Skating has it's own category in my Quicken checkbook and I cringe everytime I look at the total. What we do for our kids, huh? I just hope they remember all this when we're old and broke with no retirement fund.

Nope...they'll be adult skaters then and say "Sorry Mom and Pop, can't help you out, all my $$ is tied up in.....SKATING" :D

j

Summerkid710
04-24-2007, 10:30 AM
I just wanted to through in some real numbers as a comparison. I'm in the Chicago suburbs. The ISI Senior Youth team that I coach was about $600 for the whole season including one away competition. The USFS Adult team I skated on last season with two away competitions (1 driving, 1 flying) and one in town competition came to $2000.

So, you have to investigate what teams are in the area, cost, and commitment. Also, the first year tends to be more expensive because of the start up stuff: pratice dress, warm ups -- the stuff that you may not have to buy every year.

Also, many synchro teams will have fundraiser events.

Logan3
04-24-2007, 12:41 PM
I contacted the local team (closest to my home) and although I did not get an exact price it looks a lot more than I thought:
-2 hours a week plus 2 extra skatings for every comp.
-5 competitions including 3 overnights (the one is a 2 night stay so 4 nights)
-bags
-off ice jumpsuits and shoes (8O ) and on-ice outfits (black pants and shirts)
-practice dresses (what for?????)
-competition dresses

I can see an easy 500$ only for the competitions. I bet the whole thing runs at about 1500$. BUT every girl has to keep up with free style and testing.

If we could do the team and have only group classes for the free style and testing that could be possible. But around here the group classes are not great and nobody is testing without privates. So if my dd needs to do MITF and such she will need to keep her one a week private as a minimum. ok I get it, bye bye synchro. Maybe in few years......

dmmains
04-24-2007, 01:46 PM
I'm also in a Chicago suburb. My two sons skate on an ISI youth team as well. Between ice time, costumes, jackets, and competitions we've spent about $1,500 per child. We did do a few fundraisers that helped a little bit.

In addition to that my sons still do their private lessons for MITF and freestyle. For us, synchro is over above their individual work and they do it primarily for fun and the social aspects of it.

Logan3
04-29-2007, 09:59 PM
I did finally get the price :

8O 8O 3000$ 8O 8O

I need an icon with bigger eyes! What was I actually thinking? I guessed 1500. How clueless am I? Apparantlty in my ignorance I did contacted a very expensive team. They also expect my dd to have at least 2 practices a week for her testing etc. Thank you all for your replies. As always great advice!

AW1
04-30-2007, 03:43 AM
I did finally get the price :

8O 8O 3000$ 8O 8O

I need an icon with bigger eyes! What was I actually thinking? I guessed 1500. How clueless am I? Apparantlty in my ignorance I did contacted a very expensive team. They also expect my dd to have at least 2 practices a week for her testing etc. Thank you all for your replies. As always great advice!

The thing is ... no-one really tells you upfront what you're up for ... they will give you scenarios, but nothing can really prepare you for the actual costs of ANY sport in my opinion. I don't think it's a skating specific, but rather a competitive sport specific...

Mrs Redboots
04-30-2007, 06:26 AM
The Morgan Innes foundation has been established to honour the lives of the 4 people killed and 3 people seriously injured in the Sydney Harbour Tragedy that occurred on March 28th, 2007. These people were drawn together by their love of Figure Skating. To make a donation to the Foundation, please visit www.morganinnes.com (http://www.morganinnes.com/)
This is off-topic, but I've only just heard about this tragedy. What an awful thing to have happened - I'm sure the worldwide skating community will send its sympathies, but I can only begin to imagine the shock-waves that must have gone through the very small Australian skating community.

AW1
04-30-2007, 07:36 AM
This is off-topic, but I've only just heard about this tragedy. What an awful thing to have happened - I'm sure the worldwide skating community will send its sympathies, but I can only begin to imagine the shock-waves that must have gone through the very small Australian skating community.
[/SIZE]

There was a thread posted about it here http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=23323 but it's easy to miss. It is indeed a very sad event that took place on that fateful night :(

SynchroSk8r114
05-07-2007, 07:47 AM
At the rink where I teach, we have several levels of competitive synchronized skating. Roughly, the cost per child is about $2500. This includes competition/practice dresses, garment/skate bags, ice time, etc. On the positive side, there is plenty of opportunities for fundraising!

I also skate synchro on a collegiate team and we are required to raise at least $500 via fundraising to go into a team bank account. Anything after our initial $500 is ours to go toward personal dues, which costs us about $1000/year. (Granted, we got a good deal of funding from my university.) From what I've heard, our cost is on the cheaper end of collegiate synchro. I guess it all depends on the team, level, fundraising opportunities, etc.