View Full Version : British Adult Championships 2007

kateskate
04-22-2007, 02:08 PM
BAC requirements are now out

Here is the link

http://www.iceskating.org.uk/node/1296

chantelly
04-23-2007, 03:27 AM
Thanks I have read through it, how do you know whether you are bronze silver or gold? I presume I'm silver but my free dance is a lower standard than compulsories so would I be different for each? I'll be level 5 compulsories and level 2 free dance (maybe 3 by then though?) xx

BatikatII
04-23-2007, 04:21 AM
Hmm I dont' like this no standards thing. They have done it in the free too so bang goes my chances of ever winning another medal in that, since wouldn't any level 3 now enter bronze if they can't do an axel?

Similarly I stood a chance before in dance where my compulsories are less good than my free dance but now even with the age categories the no standards rule could be a problem especially when they have chosen two low level dances (level 2) for Bronze but two high level dances for silver (level 6?)- there is a huge gap between the two.

Ah well, just as well I don't enter for the medals eh?!:lol:

chantelly
04-23-2007, 04:24 AM
So can you enter which ever you like then? xx

kateskate
04-23-2007, 04:38 AM
So can you enter which ever you like then? xx

You are supposed to enter the group which best reflects your standard. I would imagine you could enter a different compulsories and free dance group but if you can do the silver compulsories you would be fine in silver free dance in my opinion

chantelly
04-23-2007, 04:42 AM
You are supposed to enter the group which best reflects your standard. I would imagine you could enter a different compulsories and free dance group but if you can do the silver compulsories you would be fine in silver free dance in my opinion

Thankyou, I'll do both silver.
Just got to get a move on and get some music now, I can't find anyhing and even if I could I can't cut the thing! grr! I really hate this part of skating why on earth isn't there a little shop somewhere that you can buy a piece of 1.30 music, I'm not fussy really. Rant over lol :lol: xx

kateskate
04-23-2007, 04:42 AM
Hmm I dont' like this no standards thing. They have done it in the free too so bang goes my chances of ever winning another medal in that, since wouldn't any level 3 now enter bronze if they can't do an axel?

Similarly I stood a chance before in dance where my compulsories are less good than my free dance but now even with the age categories the no standards rule could be a problem especially when they have chosen two low level dances (level 2) for Bronze but two high level dances for silver (level 6?)- there is a huge gap between the two.

I won't enter bronze and I can't do an axel and I have level 3. (I hope coach agrees that I can do silver).

But it is a huge jump in dance and free. Intermediate (silver) you can do an axel and masters (gold) you can do anything. So noone will move to out of silver until they can do 3 or 4 decent doubles at least!

I also think 4 groups for dance was much better. As you say, the jump in dances is huge from bronze to silver.

I feel I'm going to be stuck in silver until the end of time if they keep the requirements like this

They say they want to follow international comp rules but they don't have a masters free skating (I know they call the top group masters but in international adult comps there is usually a gold group and a masters group).

And I really don't see the point of not having maximum standards for a domestic competition. I can understand not having a minimum standard so people can skate up if they wish or if they keep winning at a level but can't get the next test in order to move up that way, if that makes sense! ie if you won the old 3-5 group and wanted to try the 6 and over group but couldn't get the test for whatever reason. But I think there SHOULD be a max standard. It isn't as if they have to cater for entrants with foreign tests - this is a British comp and everyone will have NISA tests or will know their NISA equivalencies.

Rant over

kateskate
04-23-2007, 04:47 AM
Thankyou, I'll do both silver.
Just got to get a move on and get some music now, I can't find anyhing and even if I could I can't cut the thing! grr! I really hate this part of skating why on earth isn't there a little shop somewhere that you can buy a piece of 1.30 music, I'm not fussy really. Rant over lol :lol: xx

That is what I'm doing. I would talk to your coach too though just to make sure.

Hope you find some music. I don't have any either (I also don't have a regular lesson slot and I have a new teacher so I'm on an uphill battle!) lol!

:)

NickiT
04-23-2007, 05:32 AM
Just been set up on a brand new pc and so until I have everything re-installed I can't download the spec but from what you're saying, it sounds like it's changed since last year. So there are no standards set for each level then? Hmmmm...is this a good thing or a bad thing?

Nicki

BatikatII
04-23-2007, 06:53 AM
Just been set up on a brand new pc and so until I have everything re-installed I can't download the spec but from what you're saying, it sounds like it's changed since last year. So there are no standards set for each level then? Hmmmm...is this a good thing or a bad thing?

Nicki

Well it means you don't have to skate in the silver group when you get your level 3 test so you have a choice this year!

All they have given is the programme requirements and bronze is single jumps (not including axel) along with up to 3 combos (if you do 3 I think one has to be a sequence) I think - not totally certain offhand. This means that a few people from the level 3-5 group in previous years may quite legitimately choose to skate bronze this year. As I am skating bronze as a level 1 it does mean I'm not likely to repeat my medal success of two years ago!

Guess it means I might as well do my level 2 as soon as possible as there is no need to wait to do level 3 in order to stay in lower group for championships and not have to compete with the axel people since I'm not convinced there is an axel in my future!:lol:

It won't make L happy either!

kateskate
04-23-2007, 08:10 AM
Guess it means I might as well do my level 2 as soon as possible as there is no need to wait to do level 3 in order to stay in lower group for championships and not have to compete with the axel people since I'm not convinced there is an axel in my future!:lol:

IIRC in my group, the youngest group, 1st place had an axel, 2nd and 3rd did not, 4th (2 axels - one in combination, flying spins as well) and 5th did have axels, 6th (me! - although I tried a double salchow - emphasis on try)) didn't, 7th (also had double sal and flying spin and 2 axels one in combination) and 8th did try an axel. So not having an axel doesn't nec mean you won't have a chance!

Not sure about the other groups!

BatikatII
04-23-2007, 09:10 AM
IIRC in my group, the youngest group, 1st place had an axel, 2nd and 3rd did not, 4th (2 axels - one in combination, flying spins as well) and 5th did have axels, 6th (me! - although I tried a double salchow - emphasis on try)) didn't, 7th (also had double sal and flying spin and 2 axels one in combination) and 8th did try an axel. So not having an axel doesn't nec mean you won't have a chance!

Not sure about the other groups!

Hi Kate
thanks for that info - interesting to see that those with the (apparently) best technical did not necessarily do the best. I believe there was a similar story in the lower level too where some who have great technical, lost out to others whose technical ability wasn't as great. I do wish I knew what exactly the judges are looking for :lol:

Sometimes I think it is just the person who looks like they are enjoying it the most!

Sonic
04-23-2007, 09:54 AM

I agree with you. This no minimum standards thing is ridiculous. And have they changed the age bandings too? They seem huge.

Was thinking of giving it a go, but probably won't now. It's one thing to come last, but quite another thing to be totally outclassed....

S xxx

Mrs Redboots
04-23-2007, 01:13 PM
Thanks, Katherine.

I think if people do decide not to go, we ought to write to NISA and tell them why not!

At least (I imagine) the Bracknell organisers will be able to get their documentation out now.... BatikatII or NickiT, do you know when it will be out?

NickiT
04-23-2007, 02:35 PM
Thanks, Katherine.

I think if people do decide not to go, we ought to write to NISA and tell them why not!

At least (I imagine) the Bracknell organisers will be able to get their documentation out now.... BatikatII or NickiT, do you know when it will be out?

It's the opens this week so I guess once our competition secretary has recovererd from this, she'll be working on the documentation for the adult opens!

Nicki

Mrs Redboots
04-24-2007, 05:48 AM
Yes, so it is - that's why I don't have a lesson with Coach1 tomorrow as he's at Bracknell for the Opens.

My fear is that the documentation won't come out until we're away, and then we'll miss the deadline.... suddenly, the European competitions seem awfully near!

chantelly
04-27-2007, 05:19 AM
Thanks, Katherine.

Hopefully it will be up soon, does anyone know if the compulsory dances are the same as the British normally? Mind you if the categories are all different that might change it? It'd be nice if I could get away without doing that awful 14 step twice! :lol: xx

kateskate
04-27-2007, 05:37 AM
They are usually as similar as they can be - from what I recall. But Bracknell has (or had) more categories than BAC so there will be some differences I imagine

Also note on NISA website now that there was a typo in the forms re fees.

It is now £40 a class (so dance will be £80 if you do compulsories and free dance)

chantelly
04-27-2007, 07:52 AM
They are usually as similar as they can be - from what I recall. But Bracknell has (or had) more categories than BAC so there will be some differences I imagine

Also note on NISA website now that there was a typo in the forms re fees.

It is now £40 a class (so dance will be £80 if you do compulsories and free dance)

Blimey! Thats a lot! My poor old bank balance! xx

NickiT
04-27-2007, 08:52 AM
I've been helping at Bracknell all week and had chance to chat with our competition secretary about the Adult Opens. She is going to start work on it next week and get the documentation out asap. Also said that she will most likely be basing it on the British.

Nicki

Mrs Redboots
04-28-2007, 12:03 PM
Thanks, Nicki. I know it's her first year doing it on her own, so I hope she's survived the regular Opens!

NickiT
04-28-2007, 02:45 PM
Thanks, Nicki. I know it's her first year doing it on her own, so I hope she's survived the regular Opens!

Yep she did a really good job. I don't envy her. I'm knackered from just two days of marking and being mum to a skater. It's a massive job! Still we're pleased. Sophie had an excellent skate in both her free and artistic and won silver in the latter class!

Nicki

Mrs Redboots
04-28-2007, 03:39 PM
Yep she did a really good job. I don't envy her. I'm knackered from just two days of marking and being mum to a skater. It's a massive job! Still we're pleased. Sophie had an excellent skate in both her free and artistic and won silver in the latter class!

Nicki
Tell me about it! Have you got the new software installed for the marking?

Congratulations to Sophie, you must be so proud of her.

cathrl
04-28-2007, 03:53 PM
From the mum of a participant in the Bracknell Opens - great organisation, guys! Very impressed. Well done.

And I'n pretty sure they must have had new software for the marking - my daughter's solo dance class had thirty-two competitors 8O The qualifiers always used to ask people who'd already qualified to withdraw if it went over thirty.

NickiT
04-29-2007, 03:29 AM
From the mum of a participant in the Bracknell Opens - great organisation, guys! Very impressed. Well done.

And I'n pretty sure they must have had new software for the marking - my daughter's solo dance class had thirty-two competitors 8O The qualifiers always used to ask people who'd already qualified to withdraw if it went over thirty.

Thanks. It went really smoothly. It goes to show that if everyone chips in and helps we can do this, though biggest credit goes to Sacha as it was her first Opens as competition secretary. Not sure about new software - I was marking as I always do and we have a great little team going on up there!

Nicki

chantelly
08-05-2007, 02:02 PM
Sorry to drag this back up! I have read it three times now (with a migraine and two kids climbing on me so I apologise if I'm nor reading properly!) which day is dance and which free? and where does the synchro come in? :frus:
I need to get the thing signed tomorrow as I'm not skating again till after the closing date! Thanks! xx

Mrs Redboots
08-06-2007, 03:24 AM
They never tell you until the schedules are out. Usually they do solo dance and artistic/exhibition one day and couples' dance and free skating the other, but which day will be which is a lottery.

Not worth entering. They've made it just another Open, and what's the point of paying twice as much as normal when you're probably going to end up skating against people a zillion times better than you who've entered the lower level just because they can..... Sigh.... I'd rather do Dunkerque.

When we have our proper British Adult Championships back, with an extra challenge, and proper skill divisions, then we'll enter again. Until then, not likely!