View Full Version : What to Wear

liya_skatergirl
04-19-2007, 05:58 PM
I've tripped a lot lately on my jazz pants that i use when I skate (I've been using them since last month). I was just wondering what would be ideal to wear on the ice...

SkatingOnClouds
04-20-2007, 03:56 AM
Close fitting pants, leggings, or tights with a skirt usually work well. I had a similar problem once I started on backspins, getting my blade caught in the flared pants as I tried to come out of the spin.

sue123
04-20-2007, 03:09 PM
I also had a similar problem, so I switched to wearing pants that are between long shorts and capri length. They're a bit shorter than normal capri pants, and of course with tights underneath. I still can't seem to work up the courage to wear a skirt or shorts, so I went with capri shorts.

herniated
04-20-2007, 05:14 PM
I agree with everyone. I usually wear a unitard with a shirt over it or leggings or... tights with a dress. I wore those flare pants once. Never again. I took such a bad fall and really got hurt.

liya_skatergirl
04-21-2007, 07:15 AM
I still can't seem to work up the courage to wear a skirt or shorts, so I went with capri shorts.

Same Problem here!:giveup:

sue123
04-21-2007, 08:38 AM
Same Problem here!:giveup:

Hehe, it is a problem. I'll admit at first, I was a bit nervous wearing capri pants, I thought maybe it would look silly, but it actually looks nice and keeps all pant legs out of the way.

WSkater
04-21-2007, 08:46 AM
At my club we are not allowed to wear pantsd or capris to skate we have to wear a skirt and tights... but not bootcover tights.. LOL strict dressing regulations! (No one listens though)

Dani

AlexeiLover
04-21-2007, 08:27 PM
I usually wear skating skirts with tights, or yoga pants. A friend of mine used to wear skating tights with bicycle shorts... If you're willing to pay a bit more, there's some nice Under Armour stuff, I personally haven't tried it for skating (although I think I might get a shirt soon), but a lot of other skaters I know use it. (I work in a sporting apperal and goods store... I have to know this stuff :P )

liya_skatergirl
04-22-2007, 04:10 AM
I have this really weird notion that skirts are for those in the higher level, while I'm only in ISI Alpha. But I don't know... do you guys think it's worth a try?

jskater49
04-22-2007, 06:12 AM
I have this really weird notion that skirts are for those in the higher level, while I'm only in ISI Alpha. But I don't know... do you guys think it's worth a try?

Oh I've taught learn to skate with little 3 year olds wearing dresses. Wear a skirt - espeically if it makes you "feel" like a high level skater. I know I usually pay more attention to my extension and posture when I'm wearing a skirt.

j

liya_skatergirl
04-22-2007, 07:16 AM
Oh I've taught learn to skate with little 3 year olds wearing dresses. Wear a skirt - espeically if it makes you "feel" like a high level skater. I know I usually pay more attention to my extension and posture when I'm wearing a skirt.

j

thanks for that tip :) I think that made me reconsider wearing a skirt.

liya_skatergirl
04-24-2007, 04:38 AM
i just came home from 2 hour training session at the rink. I took j's advise and wore a skirt half of my session. I think I kinda liked it, and j is right, i do pay more attention to a lot of other things.

jskater49
04-24-2007, 07:00 AM
i just came home from 2 hour training session at the rink. I took j's advise and wore a skirt half of my session. I think I kinda liked it, and j is right, i do pay more attention to a lot of other things.

Good for you. I think dressing the part is a big step on the way of thinking of yourself as a skater.

j

vesperholly
04-25-2007, 12:46 AM
All the more advanced (Intermediate and up) skaters I know wear pants. They sometimes wear skirts, but not often. Skirts were much more the fashion 5 years ago.

Thin-Ice
04-25-2007, 03:41 AM
I think it depends on the individual rinks, which is more "in fashion", pants or skirts. The rink where my primary coach teaches all the hotshot kids are in pants. The rink where my secondary coach teaches and is my practice rink all the female skaters wear skirts, from the Tiny Tots to the Junior Ladies. But I agree with the earlier poster who said something along the lines of "wear what makes you feel best".

SynchroSk8r114
05-06-2007, 02:57 PM
I've had the same issue that many of you share about catching your pant legs and falling. I nearly took out my whole line in synchro once because of this. Under Armor pants are great for skating and I've found that right now Old Navy has some great capri stretch pants that are really cute! Still, nothing beats tights and a dress/skirt...

peanutskates
05-06-2007, 03:08 PM
I wear leggings/tights paired with a short skirt/shorts

on public ice, I sometimes wear jeans, but they're not good for spirals or anything really that requires your leg to move freely.

mandypants
05-06-2007, 04:31 PM
Cold weather-I usually wear a unitard or tights and then some jazz pants or leggings over them if I'm in the pant wearing mood. Also a light top and fleece vest or jacket so I can take off layers once I get hot. I really prefer pants over dresses just because they're easier in the bathroom, lol. *When I get jazz pants that have too wide a leg (flair) or boot cut, a lot of times I do some surgery at the sewing machine to make them more straight leg. It's pretty easy to do actually and I'm kind of scared of the sewing machine.

When it's hot, I usually wear dresses or leggings without the tights and just a top.