View Full Version : Need help re: boy's skating practicewear

Laura H
04-19-2007, 10:38 AM
OK, couldnt' QUITE bring myself to say "tights" but that's basically what I need . . .

DS (he's 9) is having probs with muscle strain in his legs - left knee, right shin - just took him to the dr this a.m. and he won't be able to go to his comp at the end of April (since he's been "banned" from doing anything "fancy" i.e. jumps/spins for the next week - drs orders! ;) ). DS' usually wears like a "windsuit" type pant when he is practicing - but the dr suggested that he wear something closer fitting to keep his muscles warm during practice - thinks he may be cooling down as he does strenous stuff, stops for a bit (as when coach is talking to him), then goes back to doing MORE strenous stuff, and that is causing problems . . . makes sense, but now I have to find (horrors!) boys' "tights" that don't "look" too much like tights, KWIM?? ;) (ds is super sensitive about stuff like that!!). If anyone can give me some suggestions . . .or shove me in the right direction . . . it would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Lark
04-19-2007, 11:04 AM
Why can't he wear tights underneath something more, uhm, masculine?

Clarice
04-19-2007, 12:40 PM
If he won't wear tights, and they do make them for guys, perhaps he would wear runner's leggings under his wind pants.

Logan3
04-19-2007, 12:52 PM
I like Under Armour shirts and tights. Look for the winter kind, (it is double thickness) not the one that is very shiny. It is sold everywhere these days not just specialty stores. The shirt is maybe 40$ and the tights 45$ or so. They are very very warm and do not let any air get in. They are very tight fitting so you can get a size or two up and fold them so they can last you for a long time. I could not say enough good things. Alhtough they are under garments, they are thick enough to stand alone.

Scarlett
04-19-2007, 01:00 PM
I would suggest running tights. They are "manly" and if you need proof for your son tell him all the track guys wear them. You can get the UnderArmour brand or if you are looking to find them a little cheaper you can always get Nike, Adidas, or Brooks tights.
Good luck.

3skatekiddos
04-19-2007, 01:26 PM
My vote is for Under Armour. My DS ( 10 ) wears them for hockey and then wears them under a pair of wind pants when he figure skates at the suggestion of his coach. Nothing girly about them.

Although. Just for a funny. My 3 year old DS told older DS that he couldn't be a figure skater because he didn't have a pretty dress and tights on :)

Laura H
04-19-2007, 01:34 PM
I would suggest running tights. They are "manly" and if you need proof for your son tell him all the track guys wear them. You can get the UnderArmour brand or if you are looking to find them a little cheaper you can always get Nike, Adidas, or Brooks tights.
Good luck.

RUNNING tights!! That's what I was trying to think of . . . I knew there was something sports-wise that would work great - all I could think of was bicycle shorts. :oops:

Thanks for all the quick suggestions - I'm sure I can find something that will work with all those different options!

Kay
04-19-2007, 07:34 PM
Hey,

As your son gets older and becomes a more serious skater, I'm guessing he might want to graduate his on-ice wardrobe. It is hard to know what to put on a male skater! I would hesitate to put him in skin-tight tights: you don't want to turn him off skating (figure skating is a sport so desperately in need of male figure skaters! Get him into dance partners!)

I train at a figure skating school where there is an unwritten dress code that is strictly enforces if that makes any sense. Most of the guys wear skating pants that look somewhat like a dress pant, but have stretch in them. They are a clean cut look that keep them warm, allow movement, and are still masculine. Both of these styles of pant are really popular and sold throughout figure skating boutiques.

http://skatingboutique.com/fsb/servlet/com.bst.servlets.EStoreWebControlServlet?object=ES toreProductSelection&method=getProductInfo&productuno=1079

http://skatingboutique.com/fsb/servlet/com.bst.servlets.EStoreWebControlServlet?object=ES toreProductSelection&method=getProductInfo&productuno=1709 (http://skatingboutique.com/fsb/servlet/com.bst.servlets.EStoreWebControlServlet?object=ES toreProductSelection&method=getProductInfo&productuno=1709)

The key at that age is to find him something he feels masculine and professional in, but that keeps him warm and allows him to move. When he feels and looks good, he will skate well!

Good Luck!

slusher
04-19-2007, 09:34 PM
Another vote here for Under Armour. The kids wear them for hockey thus they are "cool" to wear for figureskating underneather whatever.

dmmains
04-22-2007, 07:51 PM
My son, 12, wears black leggings with one of his Nike dri-fit shirts. They work out really well and he does look masculine.

I buy them from Lands End. They're a nice weight, not too thin like some leggings can be. I'm not sure that they sell them in the summer though.

Good luck.

dmmains
04-22-2007, 07:53 PM
Another thought, he tried Under Armour and didn't like them, he thought they were too tight and restrictive.