View Full Version : uncomfortable on the ice

jcookie1982
04-18-2007, 11:17 AM
I just got a pair of new skates, and even though they feel better on my feet than my last pair, I just can't get used to them on the ice. I've only skated in them 2 times now, but the whole time I can barely do the easiest moves, and I feel like I have to learn all over. I'm even having trouble doing forwards crossovers. Is the normal, and if it is, how long until it gets better?

TaBalie
04-18-2007, 11:26 AM
definitely normal...

what were you old boots and blades, and what did you just get?

it takes several hours on the ice (so usually weeks, months in "real time" for an adult skater who skates 1 or 2 per week) for boots to break in at the minimum, and the best way to do this is just lots of stroking stroking stroking...

hang in there!

doubletoe
04-18-2007, 12:12 PM
Make sure you leave one or two of the top hooks unlaced until they break in a little. It's hard to do anything when your boots are preventing you from bending your knees!

Team Arthritis
04-18-2007, 12:36 PM
If you are crazy enough -> I put on the guards and walked around in the skates for an hour twice a day at home, although it makes bending over to put away the dishes much more difficult. Also, definetly works the quads using the toilet and you have to get them resharpened in about a week. http://www.cosgan.de/images/midi/frech/a050.gif
Lyle

blackmanskating
04-18-2007, 02:25 PM
I just got a pair of new skates, and even though they feel better on my feet than my last pair, I just can't get used to them on the ice. I've only skated in them 2 times now, but the whole time I can barely do the easiest moves, and I feel like I have to learn all over. I'm even having trouble doing forwards crossovers. Is the normal, and if it is, how long until it gets better?

2 months ago, I decided to upgrade my boots and blades because a "Blade Sharpener" destroyed my old blades. I upgraded my boots from Jackson Elites, to Jackson Elite Plus. I went from Ultima Legacy blades to Wilson Gold Seals!!!!!! 8O The boots were very stiff and I was skating like Frankenstein when I first got them. Take them home with blade guards on and walk up and down some steps so that you get your ankles to bend forward. This helped me a lot. But it still took like 2 weeks to break in and I skate 6 days a week!!!! After the adjustment period, you will probably love your new skates and your skating skills will improve. :D

Some folks told me that I shouldn't get such an advanced blade. Half of the Olympians and World Champions are doing quads using Gold Seals. :roll: But I say get the best equipment you can afford. That way, you know the only thing holding you back is you; not your equipment. And I love them. I wouldn't go and get the stiffest boot on the planet, but I have no regrets in getting one of the most expensive blades on the market. Everything seemed easier and the edges are as secure as all get out!!! I say that if you are doing single jumps. . . go for it!!!! What you are going through is completely normal. Hang in there, your skates will break before you know it.

Sincerely,

BlackManSkating

icedancer2
04-18-2007, 02:31 PM
skating like Frankenstein

Oh my god - so true! When I got new skates I felt like I was skating in giant, hard "Chiclets" (you know, the gum?) The boots hadn't molded to my feet like my old 15-year-old broken down boots and I couldn't bend at all. This went on for what seemed like MONTHS (sorry, although I am big and tall, I am pretty light on my skates for some reason! - maybe due to not jumping?)

Give them a chance. Everyone feels like this with new boots!

Award
04-18-2007, 04:46 PM
I'm even having trouble doing forwards crossovers. Is the normal, and if it is, how long until it gets better?

If the skates are not the same model as the previous pair, then you could definitely expect this kind of thing. Although, it also probably depends on what kind of problem you're experiencing. That is, whether the new boots are still very stiff, or whether the laces are done up too tight so that your feet and ankles can't move much, or whether the new blades have been sharpened (or sharpened properly) etc. Also, our body has muscle memory, so it gets used to the feel of the skates that we've been using. Changing to another model of skate may require the body to get used to the feeling of skating in something that is different (that is, the new skates). If after many sessions, and you still feel awkward in the skates, then it may be time to get the skates checked by a pro skating shop.

Mrs Redboots
04-19-2007, 10:02 AM
Totally normal.

Depending on how often you skate, it could take a couple of weeks before they even begin to feel like "your skates", and a month or so before you're totally confident in them.

Last time I got new boots, a long-awaited test came up the following week! And husband had new blades, too..... we were a tad lucky to pass, but it was Level 1, so would have been very embarrassing to have had to retry. The judge did say he wouldn't have passed it at a higher level the way we'd skated! Don't blame him!

Kristin
04-19-2007, 11:53 AM

Totally normal.....new boots require a break-in time period and if you only skated in them twice, well then, you have at least a few more WEEKS to go until they feel comfortable. Now if they start to hurt in a certain area of the boot, take them back to the boot fitter & have them "punch out" the area to make them comfortable (punch out means they clamp the area of the boot to "press out" the area on your boot & it helps alleviate pressure).

Bottom line: The boots may be stiff, but they shouldn't HURT.

WannabeS8r
04-19-2007, 04:38 PM

I have that problem, as well, and i just got my new Jackson skates last week. I feel like I am a truck on ice. >_< My boots are comfortable enough, but I can't get used to the new blade and monstrous toe-pick!

techskater
04-19-2007, 04:39 PM
Completely agree on the stiff/hurt comment, although it is totally normal if your new boots "bite" you around the top on your shins if you don't wear bungas.

I, too, am in new boots for the second day today. Yesterday was only 30 minutes. Luckily, these are probably the BEST pair of Harlick customs I have gotten yet. They are so comfy and are breaking in nicely for the limited skating time in them and I had my first lesson in them today. We did spins and, oy! It took several tries to get some of the "easier" spins on them because I was tentative and unsure of the sweet spot. BUT! I did manage to do them. First jumps tomorrow. ::Crosses fingers::