View Full Version : Help with BI3s

xofivebyfive
04-16-2007, 04:10 PM
My BO 3s are no problem, but when I try, say a LBI 3, I end up doing kind of starting a spin instead and same with the other side.. How can I get the 3turn in this 3turn, instead of a kind of circling rotation?

Team Arthritis
04-16-2007, 04:17 PM
Do you make the 3 and then spin or are you doing a figures loop?
Lyle

xofivebyfive
04-16-2007, 04:42 PM
I have no idea. I'll do a FO3 and then try to do the BI3 and I basically just curve around. Unless that is what a BI3 is supposed to be like, which I doubt.

skatingdoris
04-16-2007, 04:50 PM
I know exactly what you mean, I had the exact same problem when first learning BI3's - they are quite evil :evil:

The key to turning and not circling around on your toepick is all in the check of your shoulders. the best way I found to get the hang of this is to do the BI3 off of the running edge of a FO3, i'll try to dercribe it as best I can:

make sure that you can hold the check out of the FO3 really strongly before moving on, i.e. travelling back on quite a shallow edge for about 4 count. when your comfortable with this you add the B3 on the end the key is to WAIT inbetween the two turns, sit on that BI edge first.

For the left foot start with a LFO3, push onto the O edge with your R arm in front and L behind, keep your right foot tucked in behind your left, as you make the turn and glide back out of it don't move your arms and shoulders or free foot - this means that your R arm will now be behind you and your L infront. now as you sit on this edge swing your arms through so that the R is once more in front (L behind) at the same time take your free leg(R) through so it sits in front and in line with the L. this puts you in a position where you are facing behind you - in the direction your travelling. now do the 3turn!! keeping your free leg in front and your arms and shoulders where they are.

a good thing to practice is then to try to hold this FO edge for as long as you can. Its very easy just to do another FO3 off of the end of this so try not to let your arms hellicopter around.

(same but opposite thing for the RBI 3-turn!)

hope this helps you somewhat, happy practicing. x

dbny
04-16-2007, 04:51 PM
My guess is that your weight is too far foward. Your weight has to be just behind the arch to make this turn. Try it two footed: keep the "free" foot on the ice touching the skating foot, with as little weight on it as possible, basically just using it as an outrigger. Keep your knees and feet together, bend your knees, rotate your upper body, then release as you rise up.

xofivebyfive
04-16-2007, 04:58 PM
Thanks! I will definitely try your advice and get back to you. :D

Mrs Redboots
04-17-2007, 08:30 AM
Try doing them, just at first, with your free foot tucked in, rather than held out (correctly) in front. I find I can just about do them like that, but if I try holding my free leg in the correct position, they don't turn nearly so well.

They don't turn very well anyway - I can't get my weight far enough back on my blade - but they turn better with my free leg tucked in!

Also try brackets - BI brackets are easier than BI 3s, for some reason - and when you've got the feeling of rotating on that edge, try 3-turns again.

But I do know exactly what you mean - mine will still "loop" at times. And usually, if I want to do a loop, I can't. Ah well. That's skating!

phoenix
04-17-2007, 09:27 AM
Mrs. Redboots--do you mean a rocker? A bracket would rotate in the opposite direction....and while I find BI rockers reasonably easy, I HATE BI brackets!

tidesong
04-17-2007, 10:45 AM
One very strange thing that was hindering my BI3 for the longest time was that I was dropping my shoulder into the turn. I don't know how or why I suddenly figured that out, but once I started keeping it level it was good.

So just in case, remember to keep the shoulders level.

Mrs Redboots
04-17-2007, 12:58 PM
Mrs. Redboots--do you mean a rocker? A bracket would rotate in the opposite direction....and while I find BI rockers reasonably easy, I HATE BI brackets!
No, I did actually mean a bracket - I know it rotates in the opposite direction, but at least you get used to rotating off a BI edge.

And I find them easier than back inside 3-turns!

Team Arthritis
04-18-2007, 01:01 PM
When I get stuck on my toe its from fear which makes me cantilever my body so that my waist is inside the circle while my upper body tries to lean out. I'm fighting my BI-3's too and what helps me most is to just practice the glides staying nice and upright, on the BI edge with rotation out of the circle and also don't forget the glide, nice and upright, on the exit FO edge. Now go up and down practicing the bounce in the knee while holding the rotation check. FWIW
Lyle