View Full Version : Testing Frustrations... just venting

Skittl1321
04-16-2007, 11:21 AM
My coach and I decided I would test pre-bronze moves in June! I'm super excited, and kind of nervous- because I'm not sure if I can have it put together in time.

But then I realized something- I'm not actually a USFSA member- I just have a basic skills coaching membership- no big deal, I just need to do it right away so I can get my paperwork in for the test session. But it's expensive, and expires at the end of June. So I'd be joining just for the sake of taking the test, and will have to renew the membership before I can do anything else.

Aaargh... so anyhow- I haven't told the coach yet (not sure he'll agree with the decision) but I'm not longer testing in June. I'll join USFSA at the start of the next "year" and test sometime during that period- because it's likely that I'll also have my freestyle ready to be tested before that year expires.

jazzpants
04-16-2007, 11:33 AM
Talk to your coach about it. I don't think he would have an issue with it and would be understanding of the financial situation. Plus, you can get two tests out of the way in one shot and he won't have to go to two separate test sessions to put you out. (And if the test session is like early mornings on Saturdays like mine are and your coach is NOT an early bird, it's a REAL blessing for the coaches.) :)

dbny
04-16-2007, 11:37 AM
If you join through a club, it may still make sense. Lots of clubs have discounted membership for the late spring.

Isk8NYC
04-16-2007, 01:28 PM
Don't lose your "coaching membership" number - it's your USFSA number forever!

Too bad the USFSA doesn't pro-rate individual memberships near the end of the membership year. (It wouldn't hurt to call/email and ask, btw.)

DBNY's right: many Clubs pro-rate their membership fees toward the end of a season, which usually includes the less-expensive USFSA Club Membership. (albeit for a full year)

Why don't you plan to test in July, when the new year begins?

Skittl1321
04-16-2007, 02:19 PM
Don't lose your "coaching membership" number - it's your USFSA number forever!

Why don't you plan to test in July, when the new year begins?

Oh- I have the membership card and number- it's the same number from when I was in Basic Skills, so I figured it carried through.

Testing in July would make the most sense- but the problem is finding a test session... in Iowa they are few and far between.

jskater49
04-16-2007, 02:24 PM
Oh- I have the membership card and number- it's the same number from when I was in Basic Skills, so I figured it carried through.

Testing in July would make the most sense- but the problem is finding a test session... in Iowa they are few and far between.

Where in Iowa are you? We are having the Iowa State Games in Ames, July 21 and we will offer a test session as well.

j

Isk8NYC
04-16-2007, 02:27 PM
Where in Iowa are you? We are having the Iowa State Games in Ames, July 21 and we will offer a test session as well.
I love this Board - someone always lends a helping hand!
Any Clubs in Iowa offering a prorated "associate" membership, so we can stay with the original schedule? (BTW, ASK!)

Skittl1321
04-16-2007, 02:28 PM

j

Good to know- I searched all the club websites I know of (Des Moines, Quad Cities, Cedar Rapids, Iowa City- although they are still provisional or whatever) but missed Ames- the upcoming test in Quad Cities was the only one I could find for the fall. I'm in Iowa City, so it's a bit of a drive, but that might be a more doable date (both for learning, and for membership)

Thanks for pointing that one out!

And- there's ice skating at the summer games too? I volunteered at the winter games and it was great fun.

jskater49
04-16-2007, 03:01 PM
Good to know- I searched all the club websites I know of (Des Moines, Quad Cities, Cedar Rapids, Iowa City- although they are still provisional or whatever) but missed Ames- the upcoming test in Quad Cities was the only one I could find for the fall. I'm in Iowa City, so it's a bit of a drive, but that might be a more doable date (both for learning, and for membership)

Thanks for pointing that one out!

And- there's ice skating at the summer games too? I volunteered at the winter games and it was great fun.

Yup - the figure skating comp is run by the Ames club. And there are adult events.

j

skaternum
04-16-2007, 04:10 PM
Any Clubs in Iowa offering a prorated "associate" membership, so we can stay with the original schedule? (BTW, ASK!)You can't have an "associate" membership in one club unless you're a full member of another club, so this wouldn't help you any. In fact, it would actually cost you more, since you have to join 2 clubs.

jskater49
04-16-2007, 04:40 PM
You can't have an "associate" membership in one club unless you're a full member of another club, so this wouldn't help you any. In fact, it would actually cost you more, since you have to join 2 clubs.

Right because usually the only reason the associate membership is less is because you DON'T pay for the USFSA membership, because you've paid for that at your regular club.

j

Hannahclear
04-16-2007, 05:17 PM
Joining as an individual for $85 is expensive, but it would solve your issue with the expiration of a club membership on a calendar. You'd get a full year.

Skittl1321
04-16-2007, 05:20 PM
Joining as an individual for $85 is expensive, but it would solve your issue with the expiration of a club membership on a calendar. You'd get a full year.

I'm not sure you do- the USFSA website says they don't pro-rate membership- so joining as an individual, it still expires at the end of June when all the club memberships expire.

Hannahclear
04-16-2007, 05:49 PM
Oh yeah, I had forgotten about that. My bad.....it's been a couple of years.

Mrs Redboots
04-17-2007, 08:33 AM
Thanks - I was just about to ask how much it cost to register as an individual member! I thought it was far more expensive than joining NISA, but it isn't.... with the dollar having sunk to a new low against the £, it's actually cheaper!

NISA has its faults, goodness knows, but at least membership, however expensive, runs for a year from the date you join!

phoenix
04-17-2007, 09:25 AM
I have a student in the exact same situation--she could take her first 2 moves tests at a session in May, but we're waiting until the year flips. I think it's a shame they don't offer pro-rated memberships, I've had this happen before too. It must be fairly common.

skaternum
04-17-2007, 11:17 AM
I have a student in the exact same situation--she could take her first 2 moves tests at a session in May, but we're waiting until the year flips. I think it's a shame they don't offer pro-rated memberships, I've had this happen before too. It must be fairly common.We considered doing prorated memberships, but decided against it. The volunteers who process all the memberships greatly prefer to have them in a big batch at the beginning of the membership year (with a few isolated stragglers throughout the year), versus getting several batches, timed to coincide with major competitions and test sessions. Also, we want to encourage people to pay the full $$ amount for the year and DIScourage partial dues because, quite frankly, the club can use the money. Besides, we still have to pay USFSA the full amount for each member.

Isk8NYC
04-17-2007, 11:35 AM
You can't have an "associate" membership in one club unless you're a full member of another club, so this wouldn't help you any. In fact, it would actually cost you more, since you have to join 2 clubs.Sorry, I forgot that "associate" was a real category. I was thinking of a USFSA membership with a "token" club membership, but your'e right: that doesn't work either.

Somehow, I think there is a need for prorating during the end of the season. An April - June membership, for example.