View Full Version : Axel help

xofivebyfive
04-15-2007, 08:10 PM
I went to an off ice jumping class and we were working on the off ice axel. We only had like a minute left and I was tired so I didn't try one, but when I got home I decided to work on them. It's funny because when I try really hard, everything goes all crazy but when I'm thinking oh whatever, they're really nice! Anyway, sometimes when I jump, my freeleg doesn't stay where it's supposed to and it opens up and goes out to check too soon. It's like I have no control over it. Are there any excercises I can do to help keep me from opening up too soon?

xofivebyfive
04-16-2007, 05:18 PM
No one can offer any words of wisdom here?

Summerkid710
04-16-2007, 05:41 PM
For off ice exercises, try axel - loop.

For on ice exercises, work on waltz jump - loop - back scratch spin.

Keep the arms in for both the loop and back scratch spin. Don't let them fly out in between each jump. Try to keep your arms in synch with your leg. Try to land the jump checked. Take a breath and then check out.

Do lots of tight back scratch spins.

Isk8NYC
04-17-2007, 07:54 AM
I was just working on this yesterday.

Add a "cabriolet waltz" jump to your practices. It's just a simple waltz jump where you delay the turn until you get to the top of the axis, then bring your feet together in mid-air before landing. It helps you to 1) get height and 2) learn to control your free leg and side switching.

You can also do a one-revolution turn, but practice landing forwards and gliding out that way before you really go for it anywhere.

AW1
04-17-2007, 08:18 AM
my daughters coach has started showing her a preparation for her axel where she gets her to do a 3 jump (I think to you guys it's a waltz jump) then straight into a backspin for one revolution, then pushing out ... maybe that might help, or maybe that would be too basic for you I'm not sure, since my daughter is only 5.