View Full Version : sore legs after comp/test--can anyone explain this?

phoenix
04-15-2007, 05:49 AM
The last few times I've tested or competed, I've had very sore legs the next day--mostly in my quads. It's usually gone by the day after that. Twice I skated earlier in the day before my event, and once on a test, I only skated the 6 minute warmup & then the test. Certainly less than a typical practice--but resulting in terrible soreness the next day--so that something like going up stairs really hurts.

Anyone know what would cause this? Too much adreniline from nerves? If it's not that, I'm out of ideas. It would be bad if I ever had a competition where I had to skate 2 days in a row!

NickiT
04-15-2007, 06:53 AM
I can relate to this. I think it's just tension that causes your muscles to tighten up a bit and it relates to aching muscles the next day!

Nicki

dooobedooo
04-15-2007, 07:10 AM
Are you doing a proper off-ice warm-down and stretches after the competition?

If you are just getting out of your costume and into the car, this might account for a change of normal routine which could cause some aches the next day (lactic acid build-up etc).

rf3ray
04-15-2007, 07:29 AM
If its cramps magnesium tables also help alot

herniated
04-15-2007, 07:46 AM
Happens to me all the time. Especially if I don't cool down and/or stretch out right after. Which usually I'm so excited I just... don't do it. And I pay later.

jp1andOnly
04-15-2007, 08:22 AM
yup, that lactic acid build up is a killer.

phoenix
04-15-2007, 08:24 AM
But that doesn't explain why it happens only for test/competition--when the actual physical exertion is much less than a typical day of skating, but the stress level is much higher.

Isk8NYC
04-15-2007, 09:27 AM
Nerves aren't enough???

For a test or competition, you have to warm up without being able to skate for an extended time beforehand. I started doing my "Test Runthroughs" at the beginning of freestyle sessions - so I would get used to warming up thoroughly without skating, since test and competition warmups are so short and other ice is not always available. The quads are difficult to stretch out well off-ice unless you target them specifically.

You're also stretching and pointing more while skating for the judges than during practices. I know my spirals are much higher when someone's watching - I feel it the next day!

ETA: If it really is painful, take an anti-inflammatory after skating and for the next 24 hours as recommended.
A warm shower/bath is tremendously helpful afterward as well.

jp1andOnly
04-15-2007, 09:46 AM
Ithink when you compete you put out more effort. the adrenaline really kicks in and you push harder than usual. Plus if you have a practise in the morning, then warm up, then competition, then nothing, the acid builds up at different points during the day.

But that doesn't explain why it happens only for test/competition--when the actual physical exertion is much less than a typical day of skating, but the stress level is much higher.

froggy
04-15-2007, 12:21 PM
Anyone know what would cause this? Too much adreniline from nerves? If it's not that, I'm out of ideas. It would be bad if I ever had a competition where I had to skate 2 days in a row!

Your on to something there, poor warm up can very well be a factor, but chances are your body was in a "stress fight/flight mode". physiologically when this happens your body begins to focus on maintaining your vital organs (heart, brain etc.) and reduces output of blood supply (ie: oxgyen to muscles in your extremities). think back at the last time you were watching a terifying scene on TV or very cold outside....your skin pales (decreased blood supply) your heart races, muscles tense and body shakes to create warmth. so it's no suprise your muscles were so achy during this time (test/comp)...what to do for next time, im no expert in testing since i haven't even tested yet, but from a medical standing ...
deep breathing and mind relaxationg exercises would prob be very beneficial to reverse this..also if your so trained well and confident in mind that you know your stuff hopefully this will relax you enough to avoid feeling the stress as much as you did for this past test. Proper sleep, nutrition and a very good warm up-more than you would do on reg session day would prob be very helpful too. you can even try bringing an ipod/headphones with your fav music to listen to prior to going out to skate.

feel good!

Casey
04-15-2007, 01:17 PM
Because you're nervous, and your muscles tighten more than usual and they don't get the breaks the normally do because you aren't letting them relax all the way when you're not using them...

Stress is a killer - you're much better off without it. ;)

(It's no coincidece that people who allow stress to get to them and live high-stress lives tend to have tons of health issues. Not saying you're a stressball but just illustrating the point :) )

frbskate63
04-15-2007, 03:01 PM
Lots of adrenalin can cause incredible stiffness. The stiffest I've ever been after a competition was with one that I organised, but didn't skate in. I was running around in a state of high stress all day, making sure that everything was being done at the right time, and the following day I was stiff right down to my fingertips! I also often get headaches the day after a competition, which I think is a kind of hangover reaction.

Fiona

Mrs Redboots
04-16-2007, 06:09 AM
I also often get headaches the day after a competition, which I think is a kind of hangover reaction.

Fiona
Me too - the hangover is usually from having drowned my sorrows!

Seriously, though, I am usually very tired indeed the day after a competition, and if I don't have to do anything, I don't. I also find that "coming down" from the adrenaline rush after skating is exhausting - I'm always incredibly emotional, often in floods of tears! Unlike many, I'm happy enough to watch the people who are competing before me, but can't often watch those who come after, as I'm too hyper!